#1 Clownwarlord

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 19 January 2016 - 02:37 AM

https://discordapp.com/

OK I haven't yet had the chance to use and I only went a typed it into search after I heard of it from Sean Lang in his latest video for the Warhammer.

So with that I have a few questions has anyone tried it out, and what are your thoughts? Does it work well for MWO and other games? Is it really free? Also any other tips about the app would be great as well.

#2 Valdherre Tor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 363 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 02:54 AM

I might give it a go but there are just so many players on TS and I have over twenty hub addresses saved for just MWO units and houses. I could see it being really hard to take off.

#3 Kilo 40

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,879 posts
  • Locationin my moms basement, covered in cheeto dust

Posted 19 January 2016 - 03:13 AM

I've been hearing it pop up a lot recently. I'm not tied to any units or anything so I'll probably give it a go.

#4 IceFire

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 45 posts
  • LocationMercStar IX

Posted 19 January 2016 - 04:54 AM

I've used it because an aquaintance uses it for his trouble in terrorist town server since their internet cant handle skype and general P2P voip.

First, you need to get an active referal link to be capable of joining the group. When I attempted to join I kept hearing "literally just paste this into browser and hit enter", pity the link was a dead one and had to get another link because afaik you can't just have a ******* password on it or something. Oh, did I mention that this free voice service where I just literally paste a link and talk requires login as well? So much for "literally just paste and talk"

Ok. That's sorted, oh. What's this? I'm muted by default? Well golly gee if that aint just a kick in the pantaloons. I better find the settings button to undo that...Ah, there's setti- Oh, I can't unmute myself here, I have to browse to the FAQ page. Ok, lets go there then.

I see, I have to either allow discord only to access my microphone in chrome's settings or, the far easier option, have everything just ask if they want to use my microphone.

Ok, sorted, let's speak in the...Hello? Can anyone hear me? ...I guess not, ok, lets toy around with the mic voice activation threshold settings...

Ah there it is, ok I'll just put the slider there, no its picking up too much. To the right a b-nope, that's not picking anything up. Whelp, looks like everyone gets to deal with background noise.

All relatively good. Not nice functionality good but kicked the burger wrappers away from the car pedals functional. Well I don't need Chrome open anymo-****, that just closed off discord. God damn it, I get to decide if I want RAM or voice...Well, I guess I'll stay in the call because I'm friends with 4, don't know 2 and well the aquaintance that hosts it I used to be friends with but hardly anymore, but I'll listen to the tears of the rounds.

tl;dr. No, Discord is terrible, it won't beat Teamspeak/Ventrilo/Skype/Steam Voip(which is terrible). Discord is for people who's internet can't handle peer-to-peer connections and are gonna cheap out with server hosting options while wanting to irritate people.

#5 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 19 January 2016 - 07:30 AM

Interesting they didn't compare themselves to c3. As that's also free with multiple channels...

#6 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 19 January 2016 - 08:25 AM

LOL, we were having issues with our TS just last week and a unit member brought this up. First time I ever heard of it. It seemed OK, but I really don't know much about it and what kind of controls admins can have. I hear it's pretty basic (no where near TS levels of controllability).

#7 WolfOfLight

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 10:44 AM

discord is not that bad, you def have to download the client because if you use chrome that'll just eat at you,

>download discord & install
>signup/login, whatever, you do this on skype as well
>put discord link in
>if the server is set up correctly (which, it should be) click a voice channel (like TS)

and yer done. push to talk or voice activated by default...

i tried the web version once like icefire... glad i gave it a 2nd chance and downloaded it. web version has issues...

will it replace teamspeak? ehhh... maybe not just cause everyone has it already, but im sure as hell that it beats using skype or steam voice...

Edited by WolfOfLight, 24 February 2017 - 10:46 AM.

#8 Exbe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 102 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 01:23 AM

So any active servers to join?

#9 AssaultPig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 907 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 01:46 AM

it's much better than TS/mumble/etc, though I wouldn't use the browser client. Voice performance seems fine to me, and it detected my mic with no manual configuration

the main advantage of it is the vastly superior chat/notification functionality, which is particularly nice in MWO since the ingame tools are so laughably awful

#10 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,371 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 04:13 AM

I use Discord for a few clans and guilds that I'm in for various games.

My MWO discord is the Molten Metal server and play with those guys every night, I am still 80% Solo queue but it is nice to have company when you lose. A lot of the guys are tier 5 and 4 but we win often enough.

#11 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,952 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 18 June 2017 - 07:33 AM

I downloaded it the first time for the FP round table

then yesterday I downloaded it again

pretty confusing mess if you ask me aka it sucks

but all the kids like it so might as well get on board

#12 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 18 June 2017 - 07:38 AM

I use it. Free server hosting, easy to access it even via a web browser, though the standalone client is superior. Has a phone app, too. Simple UI. Very clean. Good sound quality. Optional overlay, too.

Nova Cats have our own, Kanajashi has his own, I know Molten Metal has his own, and CGBI has one as well.

#13 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,952 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 18 June 2017 - 07:41 AM

oh I forgot I had to contact there support after the first time I downloaded it

Raul (Discord)[color=#BBBBBB]
Jan 26, 08:13 PST[/color]
[color=#2B2E2F]
Hey David,

Thanks for reaching out! No problem, I'm here to help you locate Push to Talk.

First,
1. Click on the cog icon 'User Settings'.
2. Then, it will open a new window. Please click on 'Voice' tab.
3. Set the Input Mode to 'Push to Talk' and select a shortcut. You can also set a release delay.

For more information, please visit (https://support.disc...oice-Activated-). If you need further assistance, let me know.

Cheers,
Raul
[/color]

#14 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 18 June 2017 - 07:46 AM

MS have their own room in Discord but we went back to TS. Discord doesn't work on some people' mics, which was annoying. Much better that TS on file sharing though.

#15 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 18 June 2017 - 08:31 AM

Why bother adopting a format likely to fail. The company has no real source of income. They are coasting on venture capital.

Sometimes people who recklessly lend money are as stupid as they seem. Where has the quantitative model of emoji income been studied and validated? Investing without data is foolish.

How am I wrong Discord sychophants?

Edited by Spheroid, 18 June 2017 - 08:34 AM.

#16 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 18 June 2017 - 08:33 AM

Discord is annoying. The interface is crap.

#17 AssaultPig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 907 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 10:36 AM

View PostSpheroid, on 18 June 2017 - 08:31 AM, said:

Why bother adopting a format likely to fail. The company has no real source of income. They are coasting on venture capital.

Sometimes people who recklessly lend money are as stupid as they seem. Where has the quantitative model of emoji income been studied and validated? Investing without data is foolish.

How am I wrong Discord sychophants?

they have a 'premium' subscription service with some more features, and afaik sell cosmetics/skins/etc

there has also been some speculation that their plan is to monetize user data collection but afaik there's no evidence that's true (the company denies it)

#18 Gwahlur

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 462 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:32 AM

Discord is great, get the standalone tho.
If you're having mic problems, try going to settings - voice and change input device to something else and then back.

#19 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,443 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:39 AM

Why use Discord over TS?

Seriously.. why?

#20 Gwahlur

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 462 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:22 AM

It's better and easier and more widespread.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users