14 replies to this topic

#1 Bassie

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 67 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 07:18 PM

Hi all,

I'm seeking your advice on whether or not I should buy an executioner? What I want is an assault chassis to fill out my stable, noting that I'd expect any assault to reliably put out 600-1000dmg per game. I guess the alternative is a dire wolf, and I'll explain why:

At least for now, I am running exclusively clan mechs, but I am also considering a banshee.

Pro's -
It is a clan assault mech, so fits my requirements for filling my stable (dropship?)
- I love running my shadowcats, and am familiar and in love with masc
- masc means that (in theory) I won't be as slow and cumbersome as the highlander (not clan) and stalkers that I have tried but just can't get good with
- it doesn't look like any other clan assault mechs are on the near horizon
- I'm easily excited by pulse lasers. Especially clan pulse lasers (better range)
- I'm happy to put in the effort to "make it work" and master it

Cons
- lack of pod space makes it look like this will be a slow, big timberwolf, and I already gave Timberwolves
- it is very expensive
- I find that I struggle with assault mechs
- I'm worried that it will collect space dust with my stalkers while my shadowcats and Timberwolves get thoroughly used and abused.

Keen for your thoughts whether I should invest the time /$ in this mech or if you think I'll regret it?

Some questions for other players with exe's:
How much of a difference does masc make?
Does masc work similarly to that of the shadowcat? (Obviously, you can't power out of tight spots, but do you use it to change direction?, poke back in to cover?)
Just how "hot" are the laser builds? Limited to 1 alpha?
Do you LOVE your executioner?

#2 loopala

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,242 posts
  • LocationDa UP of Mich

Posted 20 January 2016 - 07:45 PM

If you are looking for a high survivability weapon platform get a warhark. lower tonnage good hard points and hitboxes. only thing wrong with the warhawk is it is not a dire wolf

now about the Executioner. do you want to dance? do you like getting behind some one and putting 50+ alpha into their back side? can you move in and out of cover while keeping in mind were the targets are? can you actually assault in an assault?

if you can answer yes you might be ready for an EXE. with JJs and masc the EXE can dance like no other assault. while it does not have a lot of hard points, the ones it does have can be devastating up close. the EXE is not a long range mech but the clans brutal in your face brawler that laughs at you while dancing around and hitting you with devastating close range damage. lasers think SPL, ballistics think UAC20s, Missiles think SRM6s.

right now this is my favorite EXE C build

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4aaa5d7735c4f6f

only 3 hard points but it is enough.

right now the EXE D is a trial mech. take it out for a spin and let your inner berserker loose

Edited by loopala, 20 January 2016 - 07:48 PM.

#3 Audacious Aubergine

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 08:17 PM

View Postloopala, on 20 January 2016 - 07:45 PM, said:

right now this is my favorite EXE C build

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4aaa5d7735c4f6f

only 3 hard points but it is enough.

right now the EXE D is a trial mech. take it out for a spin and let your inner berserker loose

I think I finally found a build for the loyalty Executioner

EDIT: Oh crap, since when did this variant have MASC by default? It didn't have that when I first got it!?

Edited by FreebirthToad18999, 20 January 2016 - 08:23 PM.

#4 Bassie

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 67 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 08:42 PM

I like to do those things in medium mechs... My stormcrows are regularly putting massive alphas into the sides and fears of other mechs.

I did give the trial Exe a run, but the maps that came up last night were Alpine and the new polar one. I loved the way it handled but, until reading your post, found the load-out odd (1lpl was the only weapon with range above 300m).

I'll give it another run tonight and see if I can get some kinder maps to dance on!

#5 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 08:50 PM

Executioner MASC is actually more needed on it than on the Shaodw Cat. The Assault puts it to use quite a bit for turning, direction change, poking out the back while twisting, sometimes to help cross long distances. Supposedly MASC helps you jump when used right before hitting JJs but I am never sure.

Weaponry, you will use a lot of D and B (don't know if the C LT is allowed yet) side torsos for high mounted firing over things, possibly giving Prime or A RTs a try.

Only 3 arms have Lower Arm Actuators so most of the time the Arm Reticule is useless.

Can mount the same weapons usually mounted on a Ebon Jaguar.

You can shield arm, I prefer the Right Arm because it is physically bigger.

Has good speed for an Assault.

Out of my 3 Mastered Assaults, I love my Executioners the most, only Mech I ever broke 1K damage in with the Hunchback-IIC A coming very close to that.

Laser builds, 2LPL + some ERMLs can alpha twice still before redlining the Heat Warning. The high 2 LPLs also can be used to shoot over things at targets.

From this page, good builds I ran before that page existed were Laser Vomit 4 ERML version (only one I used in CW so far) and the Dakka build but like I said, I shield with the RA so arm weapons are on the Left on mine. Also have a UAC20 + ERMLs plus 2 others I forget now, I think one is a 2LPL + UAC10. I have all 5 Executioners and would never get rid of them.

View Postloopala, on 20 January 2016 - 07:45 PM, said:

if you can answer yes you might be ready for an EXE. with JJs and masc the EXE can dance like no other assault. while it does not have a lot of hard points, the ones it does have can be devastating up close. the EXE is not a long range mech but the clans brutal in your face brawler that laughs at you while dancing around and hitting you with devastating close range damage. lasers think SPL, ballistics think UAC20s, Missiles think SRM6s.

To each their own, I find my EXEs work well mid-range, high mounted dual LPLs or dual UAC5s give good range and the Mech height allows shooting over some cover. ERMLs make good backup weapons for LPLs, UAC5s or a single UAC20 in a LA.

View PostFreebirthToad18999, on 20 January 2016 - 08:17 PM, said:

I think I finally found a build for the loyalty Executioner

EDIT: Oh crap, since when did this variant have MASC by default? It didn't have that when I first got it!?

All EXEs have MASC locked in just like Shadow Cats and future MASC Omnis.

Edited by Wildstreak, 20 January 2016 - 08:55 PM.

#6 Brandarr Gunnarson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 847 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 11:14 PM

The EXE is probably my favorite 'Mech so far. It is definitely like no other assault 'Mech.

That is, it plays more like a heavy than an assault. Using MASC is absolutely necessary for fast acceleration and peeking, but don't expect it to get you over long open stretches.

This is the assault 'Mech for those that value mobility over raw firepower.

Some successful build I use:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...aea5b8ad0d41d43

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e9655464729d11b

One additional build that I like but is harder to use:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d5eb2361a43387e

Many people will suggest using the D RA. I prefer the A for the lower arm actuator and the ability to aim.

#7 Rorvik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 230 posts
  • LocationYYZ

Posted 21 January 2016 - 09:47 AM

I've been thinking about getting an EXE as well, though I, too, suffer from the same Medium / Heavy mindset as the OP, and so have problems in Assaults.

That being said, is there anything we should be looking out for when considering an EXE? Anything it particular it is weak at that we're not aware of on paper? Likewise with what it's good at that we cannot see on paper?

#8 Takashi Uchida

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 496 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 11:47 AM

Like OP pointed out already, Clan heavies will be able to mount similar amounts of firepower due to the limited pod space. I try to take as much advantage as I can of the few high mounts you get. I pretty much have to choose between 3E and 2B + 1E. It can get complicated when you're setting weapon groups to avoid ghost heat! If only clan LPLs could be fired in threes like their IS counterparts.

The biggest weakness are the low arm mounts. I find them to be Nova-level frustrating. With the Nova it's easier to get around them using speed, SPLs, and JJs. But managing those knuckle dragging arms on the Exe can be frustrating, especially if you are expected to complete with the long range playstyle.

I typically take 2 LPLs and the rest MLs. I usually don't want to bother with ghost heat micromanagement with this mech. Sometimes I will ditch a couple MLs for some missiles. Another possible build is a long ranger with Gauss + ERLL in the chest + LRMs. OR consider mixing and matching ERPPCs and LPLs in the chest so you have three high mounted, high damage weapons you can fire at once without additional heat penalties (downside, ERPPC is really hot as it is). You can also play it like a big Nova which is devastating at close range as long as you don't mis-click and ghost heat yourself to death!

The hard part really is managing all your weapon types, locations, and groups. That is why I generally prefer the Banshees to the Exe.

Edited by Takashi Uchida, 21 January 2016 - 11:49 AM.

#9 Brizna

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,363 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 21 January 2016 - 02:17 PM

How on earth can someone claim that EXE doesn't have enough hardpoints?

My favourite EXE has TEN cSPLs and TWO cSRM6+A, and it doesn't have 14 cSPLs because the damn teapot is hot enough as it is.

Executioner is a damn fine brawler assault, that said assault aren't the mech class most suited for brawling and brawling itself is not the fashion of the month, it's a hard mech, but if you make it dance right it can take on anything head on.

#10 Bassie

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 67 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 04:29 PM

So I had a few games with the trial executioner. Here are my observations:

In one game I got 3 kills on hpg. It was very satisfying and the small laser arm was very powerful.
Most common cause of my death was overheating. This guy is so hot.
It handles nothing at all like a timberwolf. Comments (like mine) that it would be no different are mistaken. Masc (and I assume acceleration quirks) make this mech a lot faster off the mark than a Timberwolf. It is remarkable agile. But it's top speed is low. I see why short range weapons are preferred, it's suited to brawling!
I still found it frustrating that the only weapon with range above 300m was a single lpl. There are times when it is inevitable that something far away will be poking at me.
Two sets of lasers is sweet - hit with 4 mpl and the 7 small lasers in the same spot. It is impressive how much dmg was done!!!

I'm keen to invest time and c-bills in this mech. I think once it has the elite efficiencies it will be pretty fun.

#11 Rayden Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 759 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 03:30 AM

My prime is equiped with 4 Er-Largelaser and 4 Smlpls.
The puls for CQC, the LL for sniping. Works pretty well.
Or UAC20, 3 Meds, 3 Smpls. Dont use the Meds while brawling, so you dont have to worry about the heat.

#12 MondoMan

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 05:55 AM

The exe is my favorite mech. Unlike most suggestions I run medium to long range builds on my 2 mastered variants.

- 3 torso LPLs and 2 M-Las in right arm for UAV sniping and backup (very reliable mech)
- 2 right torso LPLs, UAC 10 in right arm, M-Las in left torso (a little harder to use)
- 2 right torso L-Las, 2 right arm M-Las, 1 left arm Gauss! (very hard to use, but easily my favorite build)

The 6-7 energy D right arm is great to fill with ERS-Las but i find it doesn't punch as hard as it does on paper so i rarely use it and it is not worth the heat IMO.

A huge downside to this mech is how fast the center torso melts if you are caught even slightly away from the pack, even the back armor gets hit when LRMs hit your front!. It can be very disappointing and demoralizing. You have to position yourself carefully and make sure to always have an exit plan when the enemy inevitably focuses on your massive 95ton mech, this is where masc helps a lot.The weak CT is the main reason why i've migrated all my builds away from brawling and into med-long range.

You have 12 tons of equipment dedicated to maneuverability, you must make use of it to rapidly position yourself or you are wasting your time with the EXE

Boost your 8 tons of JJs with a burst of MASC to jump across a canyon in canyon network. Boost turn rate with MASC to alpha a light mech trying to circle you.

PS. EXE trade secret: It has a thin skylight window above the main window which lets you UAV snipe with arms even when very close

TL;DR I recommend it but it can be hard to use right; you must love it to use it.

#13 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 January 2016 - 09:27 AM

I quite like the executioner. Not the most powerful mech, but it certainly is viable and it's definitely unique. I'm still working on builds, but most involve cuac20 + lasers.

#14 Rando Slim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 459 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 01:25 AM

I found this chassis incredibly frustrating at first (beyond the usual level of every mech before you get speed tweak and x2 basic bonuses) because of the points listed already: the CT is huge, easy to hit from almost any angle, and has no armor/structure quirks. The arms are also as someone else put it "Nova-level frustrating". You CAN use the three high energy mounts you can get to make this mech a mediocre mid to long range sniper. In the end though that was far too inconsistent, and I only found success when I abandoned most conventional build wisdom, especially regarding heat. So yep, the EXE is one of maybe three mechs out of the 107 I own where my builds are like 1.1 heat in the mechlab. As long as you get weapon groups set up and practice some fire discipline, you can run crazy builds like LBX-20/UAC-20 and NINE small lasers. I also went full wub and built one with 3 medium pulses and 9 small pulses. This mech you really do have to think and play differently though. You have to kinda hide and let the enemies come to you, while simultaneously looking for opportunities to finish off a straggler or someone who is running away and outnumbered. Don't be the first one to engage a target unless you have the full element of surprise and help close by, yet you can't play too scared either or you won't get to shoot anything. Its really cool on paper, its unique, it does certain things really well, but overall I can't say these mechs are good or something I would recommend because they are the most expensive mech in the game I think if not Dire Wolves. The best part about getting that anniversary variant was it let me sell one of my other variants for a cool 7.6 million c-bills

#15 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,964 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 02 February 2016 - 01:56 PM

View PostWildstreak, on 20 January 2016 - 08:50 PM, said:

Executioner MASC is actually more needed on it than on the Shaodw Cat. The Assault puts it to use quite a bit for turning, direction change, poking out the back while twisting, sometimes to help cross long distances. Supposedly MASC helps you jump when used right before hitting JJs but I am never sure.

It's possible, though I've yet to use the system. Jump jets have some odd interactions with collisions - if you hit the jets just before you hit a wall, you seem to combine your running momentum with the jump's thrust, allowing you to sometimes climb a bit more efficiently. A similar effect can occur when climbing very steep hills.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users