Quickplay Does Not Provide An Acceptable Game Experience

99 replies to this topic

#1 maniacos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 777 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 05:04 AM

After a longer time stayin away from QP and playing FP only (edit: YES, IN A TEAM) I thought about giving it a try. However losing more than 10 games in a row is nothing that comes anywhere near "fun" or "entertaining". And yes, the teams I was in totally lost with reason. Assaults hiding behind a hill while lights and mediums die at the front, various people pleading for a push in chat, being totally ignored. Brawlers running into a bunch of enemies completely alone and isolated. People trying to call targets over VOIP while no one gives a flying **** about focussing that target. After 3 years PGI has still not managed to get a Matchmaker that's able to build team people can enjoy on either side. The amount of games that ain't lost after the first few minutes and become an entertaining, exciting close match - even if lost - gets no where near 10% of all matches played.

Why am I writing that at all? It seems that PGI won't give a **** about player experience anyhow.

inb4 git gud

Edited by maniacos, 15 May 2016 - 04:54 PM.

#2 S 0 L E N Y A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 15 May 2016 - 05:30 AM

PUG LIFE

#3 Chrithu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,601 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 May 2016 - 05:31 AM

My QP experience (in those 5 days I've been back) is that match quality heavily depends on the time of day.

When I play in the morning before going on my shift at work the matchs ae quite steamrolly, but most of them still go my way, because both teams are populated by quite a few players of lower Tier with worse mechs so my own good or bad performance matters a lot more seemingly.

At primetime in the evening it is a whole other matter. Most Players are better than me, making team play a lot more important. It still isn't more coordinated. Having someoe taking lead is a rare occasion.

For a Long time I was advocating ingame VoIP was a means to up the Quality of especially PUG matches. Nowadays I think the truth behind it all is this: Most people that drop in Quick Play go in for a quick fix or experimenting with mechs or are straight up new and still learning and ths are not necssarily that interested in the outcom of the match. If they'd be interested in coodinated serious Drops they'd drop in a Group and thus in CW/FP.

You also see that by Chat behaviour. Especially off Primetime most Players remain quiet regardless of the match result.

#4 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 15 May 2016 - 05:34 AM

Umm, it's Quick Play.

If you want an "acceptable" game experience, stay the hell away from QP.

It is that simple.

#5 Admiral_Korean_Jesus

• PipPipPip
  • WC 2017 Bronze Champ
  • WC 2017 Bronze Champ
  • 98 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 05:40 AM

OP what tier are you in? What is your personal performance each game? I`v found that at higher tiers, the game is won or lost depending on my personal performance in that match. Regardless of how derptastic your team is, do your best "carry harder" sorry to say.

#6 Richard Hazen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Aggressor
  • The Aggressor
  • 886 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 05:41 AM

Only time I play QP now is when I have to level a mech.

#7 The Lost Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 585 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 05:51 AM

The only common denominator on a loosing streak is yourself. Improve your own game first. Even when you do everything right, some games you will loose. Thats life. Specially pugging it in MWO. Keep at it. Record some of your games. Look at what YOU did well and what your enemy did well. Learn. Or quit.

#8 Triordinant

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 15 May 2016 - 05:59 AM

Posted Image

#9 Zerberus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 15 May 2016 - 06:07 AM

View Postmaniacos, on 15 May 2016 - 05:04 AM, said:

After a longer time stayin away from QP and playing FP only I thought about giving it a try. However losing more than 10 games in a row is nothing that comes anywhere near "fun" or "entertaining". And yes, the teams I was in totally lost with reason. Assaults hiding behind a hill while lights and mediums die at the front, various people pleading for a push in chat, being totally ignored. Brawlers running into a bunch of enemies completely alone and isolated. People trying to call targets over VOIP while no one gives a flying **** about focussing that target. After 3 years PGI has still not managed to get a Matchmaker that's able to build team people can enjoy on either side. The amount of games that ain't lost after the first few minutes and become an entertaining, exciting close match - even if lost - gets no where near 10% of all matches played.

Why am I writing that at all? It seems that PGI won't give a **** about player experience anyhow.

inb4 git gud

Welcome to the random public queue of just about every game ever.

This exact type of "everyone else sucks and the game sucks for me as a direct result, fix it!" whining has been around ever since the first Doom TDM, carried on well though Quake and Halflife /counterstrike, continuied with Battlefield and later CoD, and is still prevalent in MWO. It´s even in MMOs, "I can´t advance becasue my raid sucks".

And the valid answers for it have always been the same, and will never be different.

1. Find a fixed group to practice and play with.
2. Quit playing and get a life.
3. Quit being an entitled "I´been a ******* pro gamer since I was born, you scrubs" wannabe and actually try to help people learn to play better, instead of simply insulting them and then quitting. Not you specifically, don´t know or care about you, but becasue most of the people that have posted these rants in the last 20 years have consistently been guilty of exactly this.

Also, remember that approximately 50% of humans are by definition below average in intelligence, and adjust your expectations accordingly. Posted Image

And, anyway, what exactly do you expect the developers to do? Hotfix PvP out of the game and give you AI teammates thet are only there to do your bidding? Or hotfix you out for not doing theirs? Or simply eliminate the solo queue completely and force everyone to play in groups?

This has nothing to do with the quality of the matchmaker whatsoever, but everything to do with many of them looking for the exact same ego-fix ingame that you´re proividing yourself with here by ranting about them, instead. LIfe is not fair, and neither the world nor the playerbase owes you anything. So what reason do they have to listen to you, beyond the reasons that you think mean they should? Especially if you´re as condescending towards them ingame as you are here...

Remember, you always need 2 to tango... and if you presented yourself ingame witha similar level of respect for your teammates that you do here, I would have told you in no uncertain terms to cram your mic where the sun doesn´t shine. I´m a strong team player that regularly sacrifices his performance for the good of the team, but I refuse to follow someone who firmly believes the game falls and stands with him exclusively and that he would be better off if he could remote control the entire company´s mechs.

If someone acts like they honestly think they can and always must do everything alone, which is very close to how you present yourself her, then they can go **** themselves and DIE alone, too Posted Image

Edited by Zerberus, 15 May 2016 - 06:33 AM.

#10 Coolant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 15 May 2016 - 06:23 AM

I don't think i've ever lost 10 in a row. I don't think I know anyone that has lost 10 in a row. I have lost maybe 5-6, maybe even 7, never 10. I think you are exagerrating to make a point. Stick to the facts unless you have screenshots. It just makes it seem like you would rather rage rant rather than offer constructive criticism that could help made the game better.

#11 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 15 May 2016 - 06:24 AM

inb4 git gud

Posted Image

Either you take the reins of the pugs, or get dragged with it. Your choice.

Edited by El Bandito, 15 May 2016 - 06:29 AM.

#12 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 15 May 2016 - 06:33 AM

Just don't play the game. Your stress level will drop dramatically. I know--I haven't played in a couple of months.

Edited by Mister Blastman, 15 May 2016 - 06:33 AM.

#13 kapusta11

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 06:51 AM

Is it that hard to download TS and find people you'd like to play with?

#14 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 07:22 AM

After a longer time stayin away from QP and playing FP only I thought about giving it a try. However losing more than 10 games in a row is nothing that comes anywhere near "fun" or "entertaining". And yes, the teams I was in totally lost with reason. Assaults hiding behind a hill while lights and mediums die at the front, various people pleading for a push in chat, being totally ignored. Brawlers running into a bunch of enemies completely alone and isolated. People trying to call targets over VOIP while no one gives a flying **** about focussing that target. After 3 years PGI has still not managed to get a Matchmaker that's able to build team people can enjoy on either side. The amount of games that ain't lost after the first few minutes and become an entertaining, exciting close match - even if lost - gets no where near 10% of all matches played.

inb4 git gud

It's not PGI's fault that 80% or more of this game's playerbase is not only bad at the game, but in many circumstances seem actively opposed to getting better.

PGI's MM is clearly flawed, but it's also working off of a huge pool of perma-bads.

#15 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 15 May 2016 - 07:29 AM

Did you carry your teams? People who post these threads rarely post the screens of them outplaying their entire team.

#16 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 07:31 AM

hahaha, well OP what we are seeing now is the fruition of PGI's XP bar tier system starting to show. We haven't hit critical mass just yet, but it is on the brink IMO.

Now, I have only been on sporadically for the last... oh almost 5 months. But yesterday I played for like, I dunno, I bet it was 9 hours. I played a couple FW games, and yeah, they were much better coordinated, or at least were populated by normal people. I only did 3, two attacks and one scout, but both sides of all three matches deffinatly lacked any major derping.

Then I went to quick play, because I wanted to play clan mechs. Specifically, unmastered clan wave one mechs(including a TBR lol) During the afternoon, the teams were... well I suppose decent for pug life. I mean, people kinda sorta responded to the fight- I mean at least both teams were actively looking for battle in their own ways.

Prime time NA: got a tad worse, people were still moving etc, but became a whole lot more like herding cats.

Late evening NA- must have gotten low enough population to "open gates" because man, it went all to ****. Ihad progressed through a Summoner, a TBR, and was on the second of my Mad Dogs by this point.

I will simply say this: when you find your team is simply trying to use you as a meat shield to play super sniper peek a boo against a medium mech with their King Crab because they are so timid they won't even move: you just can't play a support fire type mech like a Mad Dog unless you load it with lolurms and actively move to keep them in front of you. I had this match on Alpine lol, they were actually trying to use my lurmboat lol loadout to hide behind.

Most of the time, I let them. I ran a couple loadouts on the TBR, and settled on a no JJ version of mostly short range weapons because if I was going to be forced into being in front no matter what, I was going to capitolize on that. I ended up with a ERML/SRM splat Dog for the Mad Dogs too, but at one point, it simply became clear no amount of coaxing was going to get assault/heavy lance to move from behind the "box" walls on mining colony so I just marched back there around a corner and corner peeked rthe enemy as they attempted to capitolize on my camping fatty fish in a barrel.

At the end of the night, things were to a point I loaded lrms on that stupid loyalty Wolverine. First match in it ever I got top team damage(500+) in a head shaking loss. End of match we were up by 3 mechs, and the enemy just came around the corner and mopped us up- my team I mean- I had run out of ammo and used my double MG and single ML to blow a ST off a DWF as I pushed to the front of an ill advised Stalker trying to flank 3 mechs and was then dispatched. The enemy was outmatched, but won handily against the remianing timid/bad forces of my team.

That last match, we all have those, and know exactly what I am talking about when I say: If you hide all match, you will just die as the chump you are at the end.

Won some lost some, but my scores were good which meant my money flow was good, and XP was good enough. And that's all you can hope for in quick play.

Best thing you can do, is observe whats going on with the teams you are on(like in general, mostly amount of aggression and movement) and then adapt to a mech/loadout that lets you still enjoy your time. When the team starts to derp out, a mobile heavy is usually my go to unless I feel like playing a super DPS assault like a quad UAC5 Mauler or something. Glass cannon support mechs are the first thing I put on the shelf- you need something that is either tough enough or powerful enough to play front man, or somthing mobile and self sufficient enough that your camping team mates are just there as HP bags and turret type defenses lol.

#17 Saint Scarlett Johan

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationOn the Delta side of Vicksburg

Posted 15 May 2016 - 07:38 AM

View PostUltimax, on 15 May 2016 - 07:22 AM, said:

It's not PGI's fault that 80% or more of this game's playerbase is not only bad at the game, but in many circumstances seem actively opposed to getting better.

PGI's MM is clearly flawed, but it's also working off of a huge pool of perma-bads.

B-b-buh muh TRO configs er gud en TT... y dun u get out ov dat tinee meta box!

Edited by Saint Scarlett Johan, 15 May 2016 - 07:39 AM.

#18 SilentWolff

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 2,174 posts
  • LocationNew Las Vegas

Posted 15 May 2016 - 07:40 AM

QUICKPLAY DOES NOT PROVIDE AN ACCEPTABLE GAME EXPERIENCE

*PGI DOES NOT PROVIDE AN ACCEPTABLE GAME EXPERIENCE

Fixed that for you.

#19 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 07:50 AM

View PostSaint Scarlett Johan, on 15 May 2016 - 07:38 AM, said:

B-b-buh muh TRO configs er gud en TT... y dun u get out ov dat tinee meta box!

Muh snowflake build works for me bruh, it fits muh playstyle!!

My favorite from two weeks ago was an Atlas with LRMs at 100% armor capping on Viridian bog while the whole team died playing the actual game.

And then shortly after, he got rekt.

Got to play those objectives!

Edited by Ultimax, 15 May 2016 - 07:52 AM.

#20 DarthHias

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 07:53 AM

If you want to enjoy QP you gotta embrace it.

#Puglife

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users