Let's Talk: Nova Champion Discussion

121 replies to this topic

#1 Tina Benoit

Community Manager

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 817 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 03:13 PM

Regarding the community-created Nova Builds here: https://mwomercs.com...champion-build/

Let's discuss the top 3 voted Nova builds! Answer the following:
- Which one of the below 3 builds do you think should get implemented as the champion?
- Why would this fit best as the Nova Champion?
- Is your pick new-player friendly? If so, how?

Build #1: Nova Prime
Build #2: Nova S

Unfortunately Build #3 has been eliminated due to it's Hero Omnipods.

Discuss! Also please try to keep it fairly short as a designer will be taking their time to review this thread to make the final call.

#2 Glaive-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 951 posts
  • LocationIn a cave

Posted 23 January 2017 - 03:53 PM

I'd go with Build #2. It should preform decently in a support role thanks to the 3 AMS. The longer range of the ERMLs would be easier for new players to use, and it's also more heat efficient.

My second pick would be Build #1. It is a very strong build, but the strictly short range can make the mech tricky to play, especially on long-range maps like Alpine.

Edited by armyunit, 23 January 2017 - 03:53 PM.

#3 Kael Posavatz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 971 posts
  • LocationOn a quest to find the Star League

Posted 23 January 2017 - 04:01 PM

Would you even allow #3?

Previous communication was that the only way to acquire hero-mech omnipods was to purchase a hero mech.

#4 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 06:50 PM

Build #2, the new guys need a mech good against LRMs, that also can pack a punch.

#5 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 23 January 2017 - 07:13 PM

#2 would be my pick. The 3x AMS would be pretty helpful to the lurmageddon happening in the Tier 5, likewise 6x ML won't break ghost heat.

#6 Mycroft000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 511 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 23 January 2017 - 07:18 PM

View PostTina Benoit, on 23 January 2017 - 03:13 PM, said:

Regarding the community-created Nova Builds here: https://mwomercs.com...champion-build/

- Which one of the below 3 builds do you think should get implemented as the champion?

Build #3: Nova Prime

Discuss! Also please try to keep it fairly short as a designer will be taking their time to review this thread to make the final call.

Build #1 is my pick obviously; it carried me to 3rd place in the Medium Mech Madness leaderboard event.

As for being new player friendly, it gets the most of the benefit from the Prime set of 8 quirks. Its effective range that I operate in commonly is in the 250-300 meter range.

View Postarmyunit, on 23 January 2017 - 03:53 PM, said:

I'd go with Build #2. It should preform decently in a support role thanks to the 3 AMS. The longer range of the ERMLs would be easier for new players to use, and it's also more heat efficient.

My second pick would be Build #1. It is a very strong build, but the strictly short range can make the mech tricky to play, especially on long-range maps like Alpine.

I spent a chunk of today testing Build #2 and found that even with all skill efficiencies unlocked, it runs hot enough to shut down on your third alpha. It will last a little longer if you're firing your arms as separate weapon groups, however it still runs a bit too hot.

If this build gets selected I would recommend changing it to 8 ERSL instead of 6 ERML.

The other issue I have with this build is that while it does give the benefits of AMS it will likely make new players a little too brave about going out without cover(I know because I did this, and I also had the benefit of AMS Range 5 and AMS Overload modules).

View PostKael Posavatz, on 23 January 2017 - 04:01 PM, said:

Would you even allow #3?

Previous communication was that the only way to acquire hero-mech omnipods was to purchase a hero mech.

Agreed, this build should either be modified with the Nova-A left torso, or disqualified unfortunately. As for being a viable build if the complaint against build #1 is the range issue, then the Small Pulse Lasers exacerbate that issue.

View PostDakota1000, on 23 January 2017 - 06:50 PM, said:

Build #2, the new guys need a mech good against LRMs, that also can pack a punch.

I feel like this build takes a level of patience that newer players may not have(I know I didn't) due to the need to cool off for longer periods before firing again.

Edited to be more concise.

Edited by mycroft000, 23 January 2017 - 07:55 PM.

#7 YUyahoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 09:38 PM

If you allow it, build #3

#8 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:38 PM

View Postmycroft000, on 23 January 2017 - 07:18 PM, said:

Agreed, this build should either be modified with the Nova-A left torso, or disqualified unfortunately. As for being a viable build if the complaint against build #1 is the range issue, then the Small Pulse Lasers exacerbate that issue.

Tina said LOYALTY pods and variants (including the latest 2016 ones...which really only applies to the hellbringer champion possibilities) were valid to be used but NOT hero mechs/pods, and thus build #3 is presently invalid.

View PostTina Benoit, on 23 January 2017 - 03:13 PM, said:

Build #3: Nova Prime

I vote build #2... as I indicated in the wolfhound discussion... we NEED a trial mech with AMS to teach new players about them other than forcing them to buy their own mechs first.

#9 ProfPyro

• PipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 91 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 12:31 AM

#2 for sure.

Range, triple ams, alphas that aren't instant death. All good things. If triple ams would make them too confident then drop one for more heatsink(s).

#10 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 January 2017 - 01:10 AM

Build #1 - I would drop both the cAP and the TC1, and add two heatsinks instead. As a trial mech without skill unlocks, you can't be wasting tonnage on things that aren't heatsinks, imo.

Build #2 - I would reduce the rear armour down to about 5 across the board. AMS is cute, but the firepower is lousy.

Build #3 - this uses a hero omnipod, so probably not allowed? Also, I wouldn't recommend SPL on a Nova at all for a trial mech, not when you can use Build #1 with ER smalls and get more range/poke.

I vote for Build #1, but with the adjustments I mentioned. Good alpha, has a little poke, can also brawl.

#11 Mycroft000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 511 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 24 January 2017 - 05:39 AM

View PostProfPyro, on 24 January 2017 - 12:31 AM, said:

#2 for sure.

Range, triple ams, alphas that aren't instant death. All good things. If triple ams would make them too confident then drop one for more heatsink(s).

If it is going to be build two then it needs to keep all 3 AMS, they're going to be too confident with more than 1 AMS anyway so they may as well get the benefit of 3. The change I would make to build 2 is to change all of the ERML to ERSL, remove one heatsink on the left torso, and adding 1 ERLL to the right torso. This would give them the chance to poke at long distances, draw out missile fire while giving them enough time to duck back when the incoming missile alert comes up, as well as the protection of the AMS, and when they get close then they can brawl for a lot longer before overheating.

#12 Mycroft000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 511 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 24 January 2017 - 05:43 AM

View PostTarogato, on 24 January 2017 - 01:10 AM, said:

Build #1 - I would drop both the cAP and the TC1, and add two heatsinks instead. As a trial mech without skill unlocks, you can't be wasting tonnage on things that aren't heatsinks, imo.

Build #2 - I would reduce the rear armour down to about 5 across the board. AMS is cute, but the firepower is lousy.

Build #3 - this uses a hero omnipod, so probably not allowed? Also, I wouldn't recommend SPL on a Nova at all for a trial mech, not when you can use Build #1 with ER smalls and get more range/poke.

I vote for Build #1, but with the adjustments I mentioned. Good alpha, has a little poke, can also brawl.

That adjustment is easily justified simply because new players will rarely play with their arms unlocked. So remove hand and lower arm actuators and the TCmk1 and Active Probe in favor of an additional heat sink in each arm:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...48dfb79359bc250

#13 Larsh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Lanner
  • The Lanner
  • 272 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationYinz all going to EnP at PGH n'at?

Posted 24 January 2017 - 07:03 AM

Build 2 - I prefer this build because:

1: It's my build Posted Image

2: I wanted to see something different, so I created a support mech with enough firepower to take out lights / mediums that may harass it. Many Novas are seen as the aggressor laser vom that will deal as much dmg as possible. But, I think new players need to learn that MWO is also a team based game, and this mech can teach them that playing a support role is important, and can be a lot of fun. I can average about 500+ dmg in this, with a win almost every time due to it's support abilities.

My only hopes is that one day players will be rewarded in game for using AMS.......

Note: Keep in mind that AMS is also good at going against streaks.

Edited by Larsh, 24 January 2017 - 09:26 AM.

#14 Hauptmann Krause

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 09:32 AM

I would say Build #2. It has medium lasers, which are a great weapon for teaching opt/max range, heat management, and it teaches the purpose of AMS, playing a supportive role, and placement. There's only so much ammo for three AMS.

#15 omnomtom

• Pip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 11:36 AM

I like build #1, but I'd be very concerned it's not new player friendly due to heat scaling. A single alpha strike from resting heat will cause an extended shutdown and serious damage to the CT. A single alpha from resting with override enabled will probably cause a suicide.

My vote would be build #2. It's got decent range, no ghost heat, and while AMS isn't the best use of tonnage, it can be quite helpful to new players, especially considering a trial 'mech won't be mounting Radar Derp.

#16 50 50

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 24 January 2017 - 01:26 PM

I will go with build#2 as well.

The ability to carry 3x AMS is quite rare and it does create a good team mech encouraging co-operative play.

The only thing I might query on it at the moment, which could be a moot point if the skill tree change is going to remove quirks, is the use of NVA-S arms with the ER Lasers. Pretty sure the Prime arms have some quirks at the moment that will give a small added benefit.

#17 bar10jim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 01:57 PM

Gotta go with #2.

While the other 2 builds are solid/really good, they're not new player friendly(1 Alpha = shutdown).

#18 Mycroft000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 511 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 24 January 2017 - 01:57 PM

Have you guys all actually tested build #2?

#19 DirtyBirb

Rookie

• The Star
  • The Star
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 02:59 PM

View Postmycroft000, on 24 January 2017 - 01:57 PM, said:

Have you guys all actually tested build #2?

Why yes i have, and i very much enjoy the build finding myself getting more damage than the meta build of "absolutely ******** out as much lasers as i physically can manage" now keep in mind this is for new players is it not? and will be played in low tier matches.

Now lets come to think new players need some time to learn the basics of the game with that build #2 can teach them the importance of a "support" mech and to play against it will be fun for new players as for the other builds getting killed in one alpha will only dive them away another to take note is that new players and tier five players have no understanding of heat management so with too much on there plate were going to have those said players committing a suicide pact with the alpha buttons yet again, going to be driven away.

I want you to come and think to yourself not of what you want because who doesn't want a free cuck-meck (we all know thats what these insta kill alpha mechs really are) but to what would not only better the community in teaching players of roles, placement and how to properly counter LRM's.

But that is all within my personal opinion and who am i to speak when i pilot a Urbanmech, Think with your head and not your desires.

With all love and respect,
-AutismoBirb

#20 Mycroft000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 511 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 24 January 2017 - 03:16 PM

View PostOnyxFiredraft, on 24 January 2017 - 02:59 PM, said:

Why yes i have, and i very much enjoy the build finding myself getting more damage than the meta build of "absolutely ******** out as much lasers as i physically can manage" now keep in mind this is for new players is it not? and will be played in low tier matches.

Now lets come to think new players need some time to learn the basics of the game with that build #2 can teach them the importance of a "support" mech and to play against it will be fun for new players as for the other builds getting killed in one alpha will only dive them away another to take note is that new players and tier five players have no understanding of heat management so with too much on there plate were going to have those said players committing a suicide pact with the alpha buttons yet again, going to be driven away.

I want you to come and think to yourself not of what you want because who doesn't want a free cuck-meck (we all know thats what these insta kill alpha mechs really are) but to what would not only better the community in teaching players of roles, placement and how to properly counter LRM's.

But that is all within my personal opinion and who am i to speak when i pilot a Urbanmech, Think with your head and not your desires.

With all love and respect,
-AutismoBirb

I'm asking because I have my Nova S mastered out, and while my build(#1) clearly suffers from Ghost Heat, build #2 I feel(because I experienced it) gives a false sense of security with the AMS, and I genuinely think that Clan Medium lasers(pulse and ER) are the bottom choice of lasers, they do grant longer range but at the expense of running much much hotter. I believe that if build #2 is picked it should be adjusted to make use of the LT energy mount and make that an ERLL, and replace the 6 mediums with ERSL.

Build #1 can be used in either a front line high damage output role, or in a secondary "cleanup" role where when the assaults have done their work the Nova can then come out of cover and help wipe up what's left on the battlefield.

I'll also say that build #1 carried me from the very bottom of Tier 5 solidly into 3, and were I to play nothing but my Nova, it would likely carry me to Tier 1.

And again note that I'm saying build #2 runs too hot when mastered, if you take away the 15% heat dissipation, and 20% additional heat capacity, then it runs even hotter than before.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users