Let's Talk: Kodiak Champion Discussion

36 replies to this topic

#1 Tina Benoit

Community Manager

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 817 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 04:01 PM

Regarding the community-created Kodiak Builds here: https://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/243317-kodiak-champion-build/

This discussion will be between 4 builds as there was a tie for the 3rd spot!

Let's discuss the top 3 voted Kodiak builds! Answer the following:
- Which one of the below 3 builds do you think should get implemented as the champion?
- Why would this fit best as the Kodiak Champion?
- Is your pick new-player friendly? If so, how?

Build #1: Kodiak 3
Build #2: Kodiak 3
Build #3: Kodiak 3
Build #4: Kodiak 3

Discuss! Also please try to keep it fairly short as a designer will be taking their time to review this thread to make the final call.

#2 HoboZepf

Rookie

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 05:09 PM

Build #4: Kodiak 3

Did well against Protron in this build.

Simple setup to shoot. One button chain fire, one button alpha

#3 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 23 January 2017 - 06:55 PM

#1 -- Poke bear, reeks of meta. Gauss rifle may be powerful, but while it should introduce gauss rifles to newbies, it still takes time to make it work. I also don't want that cancer in the game for easy grabs.

#2 -- basic dakka build, good but no backup weapons.
#3 -- good dakka build, but with 4x ER med laser it might run hotter than expected, it's also a bit slower but just a small margin.
#4 -- basic shotgun build, needs to be up close and personal, and usually noobs will have a hard time getting close, not with all the missiles and shells flying around, after all they are scaredy cats as noobs.

My vote would be at #3, it's a dakka build but with lasers for good measure. It's good for mid-range, not that far that it does not share armor at all, and not that close that Noobs are gonna have trouble trading. It's reasonably cool, hot with lasers but they can just cease using the lasers.

#4 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 07:05 PM

Build #2, just fix the armor values so its not so rear loaded and this will be a good build. It pairs well with the Mauler 4 UAC5 champion build, showing new players the difference between a Clan and IS UAC boat assault mech. Its also a pretty simple to use mech with no ghost heat and pretty good cooling.

#5 Moebius Pi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 211 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 09:04 PM

Build #2; Some decent range and it's a good introductory to a UAC boat when the armor values are tweaked (way, waaaay too back loaded and asking for trouble), and a new player will probably -love- the Dakka even with the jam chance (also gives them a chance to learn how to use UACs). Also lets them use shield arms without worrying about weapon loss, getting a chance to try out torso twisting (less incentive to protect arms).

No exploding torso weapons, no lower arm mounts to worry about, no "why don't the machine guns work?", no necessity to -have- to get really up close and personal like the LBX 10 spammer and much less heat to worry about than the one with Med lasers tossed into the mix if they're learning about heat thresholds.

#6 YUyahoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 09:33 PM

Build #4

#7 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:54 PM

My vote is Build #4. However... that computer mk1 is useless other than for the zoom improvement. Targeting computers don't help LBX's at all. Take it out and put in an ERSL in each arm so it has some backup for the player (not to mention it can spare the heat capacity).

#2 and #3 has a ridiculous armor distribution for a kodiak... some new player will try and emulate experienced players and die while face tanking with a third of the torso armor covering the back.

#1 is too reliant on where ERPPC/Gauss stats are currently and doesn't have enough ammo really for a new player who's probably going to waste rounds learning the charge mechanic. Also as I said in the kodiak champ builds thread, empty MGs used as placeholders to raise the gauss to the higher hardpoints will just confuse new players as to why they cannot make them fire.

#8 ProfPyro

• PipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 91 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 12:26 AM

Gonna go with option 3.

If I'm a new player, I'll be frustrated if I exhaust my autocannon ammo and can't fight. Most new players might not live long enough to do so, but if it happens the mediums can keep them in the fight a little longer. Plus if the jam gods are cruel, they're not totally helpless.

#9 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 January 2017 - 01:16 AM

Build #1 - would recommend absolutely against dual explosive gauss torsos for a trial mech. Foot stamped to the ground, "no."

Build #2 - would fix the torso armour as usual. Also, it's missing Ferro-Fibrous - poor optimisation.

Build #3 - would fix the torso armour.

Build #4 - this is a brawler that goes 58 kph. Not a good idea for a trial mech.

I vote for Build #3 - the medium lasers add a little alpha for poking and make up for UAC jams. A little hot, but nothing a new player shouldn't learn to manage. Also the build is already well-optimised.

#10 Duck Laurent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 283 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 08:19 AM

Seriously? Only KDK 3-Variants?

#11 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 09:13 AM

View PostDuck Laurent, on 24 January 2017 - 08:19 AM, said:

Seriously? Only KDK 3-Variants?

Yep... as is typical... only the ones on the first two pages really got any votes at all. That 2 and 3 are essentially the same mech except for the engine size/secondary weapon option doesn't seem to have mattered. We're just going to end up with a repeat of the problems from the last round of champions.

#12 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 24 January 2017 - 11:34 AM

I choose Build #3 for new players, so they have some lasers to back up their ACs if they run out of ammo.

#13 Kuaron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 06:30 AM

#3.
Still dakka, less boating, less ammo-dependant, more versatile, full hardpoint usage, ideal engine size, not Gauss-PPC-Meta.

#14 SlippnGriff

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 220 posts
  • LocationSpud farm

Posted 25 January 2017 - 03:49 PM

all these builds can be optimized way better. For better heat and ammo (minus some engine speed but would be a good little nerf at least)
Build #2 could be http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1db8f5c70200b2e I normally run a 350 but just keeping it simple and cool run for new guys. Can replace heat sinks for more ammo need be

#15 -Spectre

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel IV
  • Star Colonel IV
  • 120 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 04:58 PM

I vote 4. The shotguns allow for new player poor aim, while still giving a high damage output. I personally would switch the engine to a 400, strip the arm armor, add ferro, and drop a ton of ammo, but other than that, I think this is pretty new player friendly.

#16 Draconis Luthien

Rookie

• The God
  • The God
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 06:15 PM

Build#1: This build is not for new players.
Build#2: Good Dakka build but Clan Dakka is a hard thing and new players will be like "what's the problem of these bullets".
Build#3: How a worst build like this can be a champion.
Build#4: Give them this. They will enjoy the game and will learn the shooting part of the game.

I choose Build#4.

#17 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 26 January 2017 - 07:31 PM

3 has plenty of dakka with some energy backup guns. I'm going with 3 as the least bad option for a new player.

#18 Kamikaze Viking

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationStay on Topic... STAY ON TOPIC!!!

Posted 26 January 2017 - 08:57 PM

Build 1 and 2 NO. they are pure t1 meta builds, I thought we are trying to avoid this.

Build 3 Very similar to one I posted in the initial thread, I'd swap to 4Uac5 and ML's If you are going to have 2UAC10 and 2 UAC5's why not just use build 2.

Build 4 - Another silly slow quad LBX suggestion

Vote Build 3 from the options provided.
(but I'd prefer this variation http://mwo.smurfy-ne...116b1e2eef991fa)

#19 Cato Zilks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 698 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationPrinceton, NJ

Posted 26 January 2017 - 09:06 PM

Jesus, those armor divisions are incredibly horrid.

#2 if you fix the armor. Otherwise just don't make a champ bear.

#20 Cyrilis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Rasalhague
  • Hero of Rasalhague
  • 760 posts
  • LocationRas Alhague Insane Asylum, most of the time in the pen where they lock up the Urbie pilots

Posted 27 January 2017 - 01:16 AM

my vote goes with #4
as this is interesting, well working and the most "nerf resistent" configuration. IMO, it is unlikely that LB10 get nerfed as hard as UAC did. This makes sure, the trial mech will continue to perform well even if KDK or UAC get another nerf!

suggestion: get rid of the TC1 and upgrade armor on the arms. The TC does not provide boni for the LBs and as the mech has ammo in the arm there needs to be more armor!

#1 just no... no weapons without ammo! IMHO this build is valid, but you should not make a trial mech. It has a loadout error (no ammo for its machineguns). At least half a ton of MG ammo needed to get rid of the loadout error!

Edited by Cyrilis, 27 January 2017 - 01:34 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users