Let's Talk: Adder Champion Discussion

35 replies to this topic

#1 Tina Benoit

Community Manager

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 817 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 04:26 PM

Regarding the community-created Adder Builds here: https://mwomercs.com...champion-build/

Let's discuss the top 3 voted Adder builds! Answer the following:
- Which one of the below 3 builds do you think should get implemented as the champion?
- Why would this fit best as the Adder Champion?
- Is your pick new-player friendly? If so, how?

Build #1: Adder Prime
Build #2: Adder B
Build #3: Adder Prime

Discuss! Also please try to keep it fairly short as a designer will be taking their time to review this thread to make the final call.

#2 Glaive-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 951 posts
  • LocationIn a cave

Posted 23 January 2017 - 04:38 PM

Aww man I guess I was late on my champ build submission. Posted Image

Build #1 is as boring as a plastic bag and I hate it.. buuut it's easily the best out of the group and should be easy for new players to grasp. It's got good firepower, decent range, and great heat efficiency.

#3 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 07:00 PM

Build #1, its simple to use, has good range, firepower, and heat efficiency.

#4 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 23 January 2017 - 07:18 PM

#2 is my pick, it's a good mech to introduce ACs to newbies. However i would advise to combine those 1/2 ton ammo into just 1-ton ammo like so: ADR-B -- no 1/2 ammo, because they would miss out two shots due to 1/2 ton being rounded down. Torso ammo is relatively safe, cause it's exhausted first.

The first is sustainable but booooring, the last one is too hot because of less heat sinks.

#5 Warglbargl

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 94 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 08:59 PM

Build 1.

The most boring Adder loadout. Ever.

Build 2.

UAC2s need a lot of face time, Adders do not survive staring contests. Worst build by a very wide margin.

Build 3.

Super hot even with efficiencies, but more fun than the other two.

Edited by Warglbargl, 23 January 2017 - 08:59 PM.

#6 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 11:12 PM

Of the three, after looking at the weapons lab data on the time to overheat, I'm changing my vote to the #2 build... on the UAC/2s its 2.5 MINUTES to overheat, and on the ERSL's its 56 seconds. The ERML build overheats in 19 seconds and the MPL build does it in 11 seconds. NEITHER of those are exactly new player friendly.

Edited by Dee Eight, 01 February 2017 - 03:36 AM.

#7 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 January 2017 - 01:23 AM

Build #1 - good build

Build #2 - too much rear armour

Build #3 - good build

I vote for Build #2, because it is unique and interesting from all the laservomit drab, and it is also not terrible.

#8 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 24 January 2017 - 11:38 AM

I vote Build #1 because it is effective and easy to use for new players.

#9 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 24 January 2017 - 01:20 PM

1&3 are both fine. I favor 1 because the heat is more manageable for a new player. 2 is going to do nothing but frustrate a new player.

#10 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 24 January 2017 - 04:54 PM

I'm going to be biased, but I'm going to say #2 is the one I'd like as a Champion. I believe the build would be new player friendly as the UAC2s can just continuously stream lead down range, letting aim adjustments be easier as well as making it a viable threat even to a fast moving light mech as new players can learn to lead their shots from the "tracer rounds". It also will perform well at just about any range, runs relatively cool, and is also different from the current laser builds being suggested.

Now, if #2 doesn't make it (and as I submitted #2, this is my "If I don't vote for myself" addition), I'd be more impressed with #1 out of the other choices. Runs cooler and has better range to work at the typical "mid range" most PUG and new players tend to fight in. It is friendlier than #3 for heat management, which will be better for the new player.

AKA: I vote #2 officially, but #1 is my next runner up. I say it this way because #2 is my build, so of course I wish to see it be the champion build... Posted Image

#11 Kuaron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 07:06 AM

#3.
It looks more like fun and less like boring (#1), we already have much ML/LPL lasvom amongst champs and champ suggestions. Yes, it is hot, and yes, #1 could be the more effective or easy to use Mech objectively, but the MPL’s short burn duration is also worth something for the role this Mech is supposed to take.
As for #2, I think the Adder has the wrong hardpoint positions for UAC2 harassing, but it would be an option otherwise.

#12 omnomtom

• Pip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 10:56 AM

I like build #2. It's not meta, but long range poking with UAC2 is surprisingly fun. I run a pretty similar build on one of my Shadowcats. It might not be the most new player friendly, as you have to be careful with where you poke and for how long, but it's interesting, different, and fun.

Build #1 is pretty bland, but it's a good build, and could be effective; it'd be my second choice.

Build #3 is way too hot without pilot efficiencies. It's not quite as bland as #1 but I think it would be far too frustrating for new players.

#13 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 26 January 2017 - 07:27 PM

The cMPL is better than the cERML IMO, so I'm going with 3.

#14 Kamikaze Viking

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationStay on Topic... STAY ON TOPIC!!!

Posted 26 January 2017 - 08:43 PM

View Postarmyunit, on 23 January 2017 - 04:38 PM, said:

Build #1 is as boring as a plastic bag and I hate it.. buuut it's easily the best out of the group and should be easy for new players to grasp. It's got good firepower, decent range, and great heat efficiency.

Done. that should be enough for this thread.

Simple, heat efficient, decent range, 1 weapon group, Boring but effective.

Vote Build 1

#15 roboPrancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bushido
  • The Bushido
  • 269 posts
  • LocationEh?

Posted 26 January 2017 - 11:17 PM

Build #1 definitely. It uses all of the strengths of clan-tech, long range, hard poke, lots of dhs. Boring (but still solid) for experienced players, but good for teaching newer players about effective builds. Also long range poking is really the only good niche for the adder, srms are too hot, clan acs use too much facetime.

#16 Kmieciu

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 27 January 2017 - 06:18 AM

It gets the -6% laser duration quik and the C-MPLs are far easier to use than ERMLs.

Edited by Kmieciu, 27 January 2017 - 06:19 AM.

#17 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 09:54 AM

View PostTina Benoit, on 23 January 2017 - 04:26 PM, said:

Let's discuss the top 3 voted Adder builds! Answer the following:
- Which one of the below 3 builds do you think should get implemented as the champion?
- Why would this fit best as the Adder Champion?
- Is your pick new-player friendly? If so, how?

Build #2

Utilises the under-represented UAC/2 and allows for near constant engagement with the enemy. Cool running 'mech with enough speed to stay at range if required.

- Good range with the UAC/2s
- Good DPS if caught face-to-face
- Runs cool
- Teaches ammo conservation
- Allows enemy engagement early in the match
- Arm mounted long ranged weapons allow easier UAV disabling

#18 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 11:01 AM

View PostKmieciu, on 27 January 2017 - 06:18 AM, said:

It gets the -6% laser duration quik and the C-MPLs are far easier to use than ERMLs.

I wouldn't vote too much based on quirks. Some/all quirks are expected to leave and be added to the new Skill Tree in less than a month (if things go according to PGI's plan and I understood that correctly).

And, if we want to talk about quirks, what about all the (U)AC quirks on build #2, as well as the extra armor quirks?
Spoiler

View PostJay Leon Hart, on 27 January 2017 - 09:54 AM, said:

Funny you mention this, I tend to just spam the AC shots as much and as often as I can... I tend to find I don't need to conserve my ammo all that much, but if I spam too much I can run out. (Of course, when I say "spam" I mean, "Oh, look, an enemy is over there, unload the guns. What? A hill is blocking on arm? Don't care.")

So it actually does have enough ammo to keep going for some time, and even if it runs out, it does still have at least 3 ERSLs to fall back on. Short range for a new player I know, but it's better than having nothing left at all.

I would also mention, that design would hopefully teach to run and gun. Though a new player may just as be likely to stand still to aim and shoot... but you can't plan for everything... (And it only needs two weapon groups, all lasers and all UACs.)

#19 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 30 January 2017 - 06:48 AM

of the chosen ones, #1 becaue rather okish lasrvomit with soemwhat proper cooling.

#2 is bad, because ac2's are facetime, exactly what a light should not have, unless it wants to die quickly.

#3 runs very hot, the CMPL's aren't that great. They run very hot due to investing 2x as much tonnage for hradly any beamduration reduction and damage addition.

if I use my adders, I prefer the 2PPC or srm bombing variants, but #1 is quite fine fo newbies and also works good on mid or higher skills.

View PostJay Leon Hart, on 27 January 2017 - 09:54 AM, said:

Build #2

Utilises the under-represented UAC/2 and allows for near constant engagement with the enemy. Cool running 'mech with enough speed to stay at range if required.

- Good range with the UAC/2s
- Good DPS if caught face-to-face
- Runs cool
- Allows enemy engagement early in the match
- Arm mounted long ranged weapons allow easier UAV disabling

yes because facetanking in lights is so much of a gret idea. all that this mech does is teaching to not use it.

Edited by Lily from animove, 30 January 2017 - 06:50 AM.

#20 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 10:07 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 30 January 2017 - 06:48 AM, said:

of the chosen ones, #1 becaue rather okish lasrvomit with soemwhat proper cooling.

#2 is bad, because ac2's are facetime, exactly what a light should not have, unless it wants to die quickly.

#3 runs very hot, the CMPL's aren't that great. They run very hot due to investing 2x as much tonnage for hradly any beamduration reduction and damage addition.

if I use my adders, I prefer the 2PPC or srm bombing variants, but #1 is quite fine fo newbies and also works good on mid or higher skills.

yes because facetanking in lights is so much of a gret idea. all that this mech does is teaching to not use it.

I have to disagree about the Adder with UAC2s face tanking. That implies that a mech can't twist, and that you can't shoot and move. The Adder may shoot those AC2s while moving to a side or even still ducking and weaving in cover. The Adder also has a huge CT (somehow), so twisting in it doesn't seem to do it very much good as compared to other such mechs.

I have had a lot of luck in the build personally, as you need to play the Adder like it's a medium and not like a light mech. You want to stick with heavier mechs, as people will ignore an Adder compared to most anything else. Then, if the enemy gets close, it's fast enough to move behind the enemy even while they deal with a teammate. Not to mention it's fast enough to reposition quickly.

Not to mention the shake of AC2s, and if you can aim anywhere near the head component, even if you don't hit the head it can be blinding as well. Also, in T5, a lot of times someone takes a bit of damage, they tend to hide. So the UAC2 can just stream a little bit of damage and get a lot of people to pull back and hide most times. (I see this even in higher tiered matches.)

As far as "poke and alpha", the UAC2 Adder doesn't fit as nicely. But, if all the other Champion builds are being lasers (what I seem to be seeing)... wouldn't it be nice for the new players to have something different to work with? And, if quirks are going to stay after the Skill Trees (we don't know what's going on yet with that), the Adder has reasonable AC quirks and extra armor quirks on it's arms. (Plus most new players stare down opponents, don't twist, and alpha/shoot as much as they can. They also don't tend to hide to cool down, they just shoot until shutdown. The AC2 Adder lasts a very long time before it begins to overheat.)

And no, I'm not trying to invalidate your opinion. Just trying to provide some things to think of. If you haven't and wish to, I would recommend you actually give the build a solid try. It may surprise you... (Plus, it's a lot of fun to use.)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users