Let's Talk: Wolf Hound Champion Discussion

21 replies to this topic

#1 Tina Benoit

Community Manager

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 817 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 06:16 PM

Regarding the community-created Wolf Hound Builds here: https://mwomercs.com...champion-build/

Let's discuss the top 3 voted Wolf Hound builds! Answer the following:
- Which one of the below 3 builds do you think should get implemented as the champion?
- Why would this fit best as the Wolf Hound Champion?
- Is your pick new-player friendly? If so, how?

Build #1: Wolf Hound 2
Build #2: Wolf Hound 1
Build #3: Wolf Hound 1B

Discuss! Also please try to keep it fairly short as a designer will be taking their time to review this thread to make the final call.

#2 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 06:51 PM

Build #1, it has a good balance of cooling and firepower with good range.

#3 YUyahoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 09:41 PM

Build #3

#4 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:31 PM

Build #3. WE NEED at least one trial mech with AMS for the new players to try that capability out.

#5 ProfPyro

• PipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 91 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 12:04 AM

I vote #2.
I think it is a good idea to have new players do something other than push button, shoot all weapons. I think it'd also fit as the Champion build because it is similar to its stock loadout but more optimized.

#6 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 January 2017 - 01:19 AM

Build #1 - good build

Build #2 - good build

Build #3 - only four MPL on a 35-ton mech. Are you kidding me? No.

I vote for Build #2, because it is a little more interesting, and an LPL on an arm is good for UAVs and such.

#7 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 24 January 2017 - 11:40 AM

I vote for Build #1, its very effective and reasonably heat efficient.

I don't like Build #3 because its low on firepower, and we don't need to encourage new players to bring light mechs with 2 AMS.

#8 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 24 January 2017 - 01:19 PM

Option 1: It's a well-built conventional light mech, which in a trial is what you want. Stunt builds/weird lights don't make good trials. Option 2 is a little goofy and option 3 is bad (undergunned and wasting a lot on AMS).

#9 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 24 January 2017 - 05:20 PM

I'm going to toss my vote in for #2. It has that flexible gun arm for aiming up and down, as well as for faster accuracy (when unlocked). It still has 4 MLs in it's torso, which helps for when you lose your arms, if you do. It does have two different weapon groups, so it should be good at introducing something other than single weapon spam to new players. Is it perfectly new player friendly? I'd say it's "close enough", as it shouldn't be too hard to operate. (My only qualm is with the XL engine. I always found my Wolfhounds to work best with a Std engine, as I always seemed to lose a side torso too easily.)

#1 isn't bad, but a bit boring and boating only a single weapon system. #3 has too much tonnage in AMS, and as much as LRMs can be a problem in the lower tiers, I don't believe that AMS is such a great boon on a light mech to warrant that much weight into it, as well as being close ranged and a little light on the firepower...

#10 Kuaron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 06:48 AM

#2.
It has range, and even more range due to using it’s quirk, it also has the biggest alpha strike even being quite hot on the long term.

Also, I don’t think a fast light is the one Mech supposed to cover the team with AMS, it already has the least spare weight.
On #1 I don’t like it wasting quirks and being the same variant as the ® one.

#11 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 25 January 2017 - 11:16 PM

The Wolfhound-2 is idiot proof, essentially a lighter Cicada-2A. Go with that.

Edited by Spheroid, 25 January 2017 - 11:16 PM.

#12 Tiamat of the Sea

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 04:17 PM

Build 1. A bit rough on the heat curve, but at least semi-acceptable. Maybe swap the torso mediums for small pulses? Not sure that would be any better or worse in terms of new player usability.

Build 2 is going to be too hot at optimal ranges in the hands of a new player, and Build 3 really needs to unpulse the mediums and lower its engine rating to afford the tonnage for a right-arm ERLL if it's going to try and operate as a support-Light. And a new player should not be trying to act as a support-Light.

#13 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 26 January 2017 - 07:31 PM

3 for the payload and the engine rating.

#14 Kamikaze Viking

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationStay on Topic... STAY ON TOPIC!!!

Posted 26 January 2017 - 09:02 PM

Vote Build 2 for being interesting and different. the LPL allowing them to get some early game poking in, instead of forcing them into close range. gives some role flexibility and 2 weapon types instead of just all ML or ERML as many of the other trials seem to be likely to end up as.

#15 Kmieciu

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 27 January 2017 - 05:48 AM

Build #1 is my top performing light mech.

#16 Warchild Corsair

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 478 posts
  • LocationGER

Posted 27 January 2017 - 07:03 AM

Build #3 as dual AMS on an Inner Sphere Mech is something special and the Hound is the only IS Mech with AMS Quirks, too.

#17 Blu3W0lf

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 4 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 27 January 2017 - 09:12 AM

- Which one of the below 3 builds do you think should get implemented as the champion?

Build #2

It has both the speed and fire power it needs to get the job done. The LPL gives some range and utility lacking in the other two builds.

Build 2 has two weapon groups. This works to make you think about your shots rather than just spamming the same weapon over and over. It avoids ghost heat with its two groups. No ammo, velocity, or timing issues with your shots, they are both good easy to use weapons. This mech can corner peek and poke. There is a lot that the build and chassis can teach to a new pilot.

Edited by Blu3W0lf, 27 January 2017 - 09:13 AM.

#18 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 09:42 AM

View PostTina Benoit, on 23 January 2017 - 06:16 PM, said:

Build #2

Has the range advantage while retaining excellent weapon synergy. Increased engine cap as an option, if bought as a Champion 'mech.

- Arm mounted LPL allows for good range plus vertical & horizontal aiming, great for ramps and UAVs
- Excellent beam duration + cooldown weapon synergy
- Avoids Ghost Heat
- Respectable cooling
- Teaches multiple weapon groups

#19 Spyco94

• PipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 09:01 PM

I vote Build #2

The Large Pulse Laser provides a strong primary weapon for dealing with anything outside it's medium lasers. And since it's on the arm and has decent range, it can be used to pick off UAVs or hit things above or below.

It gives some versatility that the other two mechs don't have. You don't need to be uncomfortably close to the enemy to get the damage out and it can provide support fire easily.

Edited by Spyco94, 27 January 2017 - 09:05 PM.

#20 ThunderSoul

Rookie

• Moderate Giver
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 04:48 AM

I vote #1.

It's a no-nonsense fast 'Mech with acceptable firepower in both alpha and sustained forms. Which is good for both newb and experienced player.
Lack of LL that everyone praises so much will also prevent the newb from shooting down allied UAVs due to recent updates that require actual attention to the minimap, which they won't pay specifically to distinguish allied UAV from that of an enemy, until someone will tell them about their mistake - and there are not that many newbs with someone experienced to help them or sufficient wits to figure it out themselves. Just a little something that everyone doesn't seem to be willing to consider.

Edited by ThunderSoul, 28 January 2017 - 04:50 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users