89 replies to this topic

#61 Dihm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 22 December 2011 - 04:55 AM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 21 December 2011 - 05:35 PM, said:

I'll briefly touch on this. No.. not everyone will be a General of the Army or Archon or what have you. We have a plan in place for these top tier ranks but until we discuss it further we cannot go into great detail as to what they are and how they operate. Until then you're gonna have to hold your breath. <_<

Interesting...

We decided not to hold our breath, SOMEONE has to defend the FRR border worlds. ;)

I am glad I held my breath on picking up a X52 Pro though, can't wait to see what the peripheral news is!

Edited by Dihm, 22 December 2011 - 04:56 AM.

#62 MilitantMonk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:23 AM

Thanks for the LP clarification! Getting more excited everyday for this game!

#63 Dihm

• 3,312 posts
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 22 December 2011 - 06:07 AM

Also, any chance we could get some clarity on how the heck merc players will interact with faction players?

As it stands now, it seems that mercs won't ever fight faction players. Mercs can't fight on faction worlds, and Lone Wolves fill in instead of mercs in faction battles. So... how the heck do the two groups interact? Can factions attack border worlds, or are mercs stuck with only ever fighting other mercs?

And one more plea for flat, uncropped versions of the new faction icons to be made available. I'll keep spamming this if you force me! ;)

#64 BlueDog

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 22 December 2011 - 07:17 AM

Great article, IMO. The concept of 'Mech XP is interesting, if I understand it correctly, it sounds like there will be benefits to mastering a particular 'mech before jumping to the next one.

Also looking forward to learning more about the hardware partnerships. I wonder if MWO will go as far as to have foot pedal support.

#65 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 22 December 2011 - 07:20 AM

View PostAdridos, on 22 December 2011 - 03:33 AM, said:

My questions were not answered again. ;)
Yours weren't the only ones not answered, Adridos, hehe. The questions are chosen, I'm sure, to give the most relevance without giving away information the devs can't give away, so maybe our questions have different relevance and will be chosen later, as more information is able to be released.

EDIT: I like how it was mentioned that everyone will start with enough LPs to be able to work for everyone at the beginning. Have to be careful who you work for from contract-to-contract. I like that.

Edited by Kay Wolf, 22 December 2011 - 07:25 AM.

#66 TheRulesLawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:16 AM

View PostRed Beard, on 22 December 2011 - 03:59 AM, said:

I caught that part, but it seems to me that there would be other, more direct ways to take a hit to your LP, match by match. I also took the above quote to mean that, as a merc corps, if you run a mission for Liao, you run the risk of losing LP from their direct adversary, just for running that mission.

One might assuming team killing or team damage might negatively effect your LP. I haven't seen any specifics though.

#67 kamikaziechameleon

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 12:00 PM

Explianing LP is a HUGE relief. Still very interested in what you pay for with this game, I expect we buy more than skins. Are all purchases final? Can you sell something you bought for credit if you hate it or never use it? does the game use its own currency???

#68 Phades

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:59 PM

View PostTheRulesLawyer, on 22 December 2011 - 10:16 AM, said:

One might assuming team killing or team damage might negatively effect your LP. I haven't seen any specifics though.

Good observation there and it makes a lot of sense for them to have that kind of mechanic in place to help curtail grief play.

#69 Red Beard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 845 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 08:57 PM

View PostTheRulesLawyer, on 22 December 2011 - 10:16 AM, said:

I would agree, although this would assume that friendly fire is "on". I also might imagine that LP can be lost for not "following orders" from one's commanding officer.

#70 MarauderDeuce

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 24 December 2011 - 03:55 PM

View PostKay Wolf, on 22 December 2011 - 07:20 AM, said:

EDIT: I like how it was mentioned that everyone will start with enough LPs to be able to work for everyone at the beginning. Have to be careful who you work for from contract-to-contract. I like that.

You know, if sounds a little like the old Sid Meyer's Pirates game where the different factions would contract you to attach each other and based on your actions you were liked or disliked by the various factions and if you wanted to be able to work for them you'd have to fight their enemies (from memory) to begin to get on their good sides.

I remember I had a captain who was a Duke with the English, French, Dutch and Spanish (I think). That took some work. :)

#71 terminator

• PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationSan Diego California

Posted 25 December 2011 - 12:38 AM

Wow, it's been a while.. I gotta say I really like what I am reading. I cannot wait.

#72 morningdiaper

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 01:08 PM

If you lose connection or game crashes will you be able to get back on and rejoin the match?

#73 Talryn

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 05:06 AM

This is definitely intriguing and I'm looking forward to the game quite a bit.

However!

I'm noting a lot of parallels between the basic game design and Wargaming's World of Tanks. The mech leveling in particular stands out.

Not that that's a bad thing. I like WoT. It's just funny is all.

#74 DaBlackhawk

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationWashington

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:52 AM

(drolling over self) o god i want this must buy top of the line computer and soundsystem o how long the torment of this game will be till its out.

#75 tony katdander

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Locationthe internet

Posted 02 January 2012 - 07:00 AM

could you not make even matches but battlezones...eg:im a lonewolf and i join a battle which is say...2vs2 and i fight both of them but more factions and players come...could that work?or is it a stupid idea.

#76 statler

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:46 PM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 21 December 2011 - 10:21 AM, said:

[PAUL]
These systems are Pilot Leveling, Mech Leveling and Faction Leveling.
Pilot Leveling – Experience Points (XP) are rewarded for in-game actions and completion of objectives and winning matches. XP is a running accumulator that does not decay or take anything you’ve earned away. This is the same mechanic found in most games that have an XP leveling system. We’ve added a slight modification to this system in which you can train your pilot using the XP you’ve earned.
Mech Leveling – You earn Mech XP (MXP) for some in-game actions and match wins. This information is stored on a per chassis basis. Similar to the Pilot Tree, BattleMechs have an efficiency tree. Mech XP is used to purchase these efficiencies.
Faction Leveling – For certain in-game actions and fighting for a specific House, you will earn Loyalty Points (LP). LP does start to decay after a grace period of in-activity. Accumulating LP allows you to get a military rank within the House you’re being loyal to. The ranks in a House give you benefits and rewards that vary as you climb the military tree.
Now concerning Rank and Loyalty Point Decay…
Once you have achieved a rank, you keep that rank and all of its benefits… PERMANENTLY. Loyalty Decay starts to happen when you as the player have become in-active for a long period of time. Yes, there is a grace period during with Loyalty Decay will not happen. We fully understand that not all players will be able to play every day and we take this into account with this said grace period.
If you as the player are MIA for an extended period of time, it is understandable that you lose loyalty with the House you are representing. While you may lose loyalty, you do not lose your benefits and rewards. Let’s say for example that you’ve reached the rank of Captain and have 5,000 LP. If your extended leave causes decay to kick in, you will not lose the rank of Captain. Instead, what will happen is, your rank will change to Honorary Captain. Now let’s assume that you are away for so long that your LP has dropped to 3,000 LP. In order to remove the “Honorary” part of your rank, you’ll have to gain 2,000 LP. All the while, you will NOT lose access to the rewards and benefits of a regular Captain. As a Captain, you would have been entitled to X C-bills as a salary per day as long as you logged in. As an Honorary Captain, your salary will be reduced slightly but returns to full once you become an active Captain again.
One last point, Rank does NOT equal command during a match. You do not get to tell people what to do because you’re senior rank, you do not make important faction calls, etc. Rank is purely a reward system for consistent and successful gameplay.

the player and mech xp has me real, real worried. why does every game dev try to put this type of stuff in now? it just creates another dimension to balancing issues for no reason at all. what happened to progressing as a player by actually progressing yourself as a player? this is a live action game and not an rpg based on turn based statistics. turn based rpg statistics are meant to simulate real performance stats when there are none, but we have actual live action with its own real statistics happening in real time. sure there are some rpg elements like factions and contracts and such, and those things are great, but as far as actual game play, weapon accuracy, mech stats, etc...it is a strait live action game. this makes these types of perks much much different than something like earning some cash to buy a mech or laser that everybody has access to. the equipment is real and solid and with reasoning like that is the tech and market of the time period, but the perks for xp are just game magic. if my mechwarrior could make a laser even a little better, he would sell the rights to one of the weapon manufacturers, retire from fighting, and everybody would then have that equipment,..i thought we picked a year 3050 to already set the equipment tech.

i dont want an advantage, any advantage at all, over somebody that plays a mech less than me, or plays a certain play style less than me. i dont want do be a disadvantage because of that either. i want what happens in the playfield to depend on driver skills, game plan, team work, and mech builds/performance based on an even and level system. and if i hop in a 100 ton mech after months of jenners, and the tactics and speed and everything feels right and im awesome with it...i should be able to take people of any xp on an even game right from the start. if i suck at a mech, i should have to practice at my builds and control skills, and not depend on rewards for time spent.

also, i dont want to feel forced to level up a mech or player just to feel like its worth playing, and an even game out on the field. that leveling up time always just feels more like work than normal fun game play. wasted hours, and i think any studies saying that you get more game life out of a rpg based system like this dont take into account the following: people will grind levels and play for real after grinding levels, and it will take them longer than just playing for real the whole time before they get over the game for a while....true...., but the enjoyment of the time grinding sucks, and takes away some of the enjoyment from the actual playing for real time, so you actually get less quality game life out of the system. man if i have to play one more supposedly live action game full of unsatisfying grinding of levels just for the prize of being able to eventually play at the same level as everybody else, because everybody keeps up with the joneses, im going to just find a mw2 emulator and retire from even looking at new games.

okay, so you buy an extra arm slot, or equip option not many have, or improvement over standard weap, or weight reduction on anything, for a mech that you play a lot.... that opens a whole new set of mech builds, and possibly large improvements. building a mech with even one extra slot, or an extra half ton or w/e can open up a serious upgrades in some cases, and make a mech that is just not on a level playing field. like if an extra ton allows me to put 2 lbx20s on a 45 tonner instead of 1 lbx20 and 1lbx10 without seriously gimping armor or speed....thats a balance breaking adjustment.

i really hope you are talking about just things like a spiffy paint job for the mech you play a lot, but it sounds like actual perks. :) man...please clarify the types of upgrades you are going to be throwing around for just the sake of "updating" a fairly mature game.

just sayin....

Edited by statler, 13 January 2012 - 08:51 PM.

#77 Alexander Becker

• PipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 06:06 AM

Hmm, this looks interesting.
Looking forward to seeing how this will work out.

Edited by Alexander Becker, 01 February 2012 - 01:32 AM.

#78 Arnold Carns

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 382 posts
  • LocationBielefeld, NRW, Germany

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:15 AM

[BRYAN] All Ranked matches affect the Inner Sphere. We are considering several options for non-ranked matches, such as a practice server for players to test out tactics and BattleMech builds.

If there will be non-ranked practice matches, how will reammonition be handeled?
Since you gain no XP and C-Bills in thoose matches, will replenish of ammonition be at no cost?

In many eyes, World of Tanks did a very unpleasent decision on that for charging reammo by normal costs.

#79 lashropa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 190 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:10 PM

Considering the unstable nature of internet gaming, (dropouts, severe lag, etc.), how will these be handled in regards to LP if a match gets disrupted? Will partial LP be given out or will the match have to be done over? What if several participants lose their connection and greatly unbalance the match in favour of one side? –Gemini

[MATT C] No special concessions can be made for disconnects or severe lag, if a team loses a match due to these factors then it’s just bad luck. Anything we could add to detect these conditions and declare the match void opens the door to worse exploits where players purposefully disconnect to void match results when they are losing. These situations are very hard to deal with as a disconnect from lag looks identical to an intentional cable pull. All players in a match when it ends will get the match rewards, disconnected players will not gain any progression as rewards are handed out at the end of a match.

Have you guys looked into recording stats in real time? It's more than a little of a bummer to have a great game not applied to your statpool just because you get dropped. I like how the Battlefield series has implimented this. What do you think?

#80 Redneck Tek

Rookie

• 5 posts
  • LocationKirkland, WA

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:27 AM

So, since I don't see a better place to ask this, I'll ask it here.

Is there any way to modify my pilot name? I completely spaced when I signed up (blame it on over-excitement) and forgot to capitalize my name. Is there a way to get that changed? Please?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users