Before Word Of Black, Did Comstar Develop New Tech?

9 replies to this topic

#1 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 12:06 PM

A lot of what I've heard about Comstar. It sounds like they're more about hoarding lost tech and designs. Rather than actual innovation of tech. They are of course responsible for the murder of uncounted scientists from across the Inner Sphere to ensure their monopoly on technology. But did they themselves create any new technological advances? I know they did during the Word of Blake. But before that what did they create?

Edited by MechaBattler, 23 April 2018 - 12:07 PM.

#2 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 12:09 PM

They did not create any meaningful technologies prior to the tech renaissance that the Successor States started.

They did do a lot of exploration and archaeology though.

Edited by Bombast, 23 April 2018 - 12:10 PM.

#3 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 23 April 2018 - 12:38 PM

View PostMechaBattler, on 23 April 2018 - 12:06 PM, said:

A lot of what I've heard about Comstar. It sounds like they're more about hoarding lost tech and designs. Rather than actual innovation of tech. They are of course responsible for the murder of uncounted scientists from across the Inner Sphere to ensure their monopoly on technology. But did they themselves create any new technological advances? I know they did during the Word of Blake. But before that what did they create?

Well you got it right, they actually held tech back, to maintain a tactical and technological advantage over the IS. That being said, what they did, didn't stop tech advancement, just slowed it down. For instance to try and slow down Davion advancement during one of their wars of conquest, ComStar shut down Davion's access to the HPG network, Davion's responses was to develop the interstellar fax machine, slower than HPG, but they could still prosecute war with it.

What ComStar did do how ever was hide several armys worth of SLDF royal battlemechs and warships... like to the point when they unveiled them to the rest of the IS, it generated a consensus of "WTF?!?!" from all of the Great Houses.... There is also evidence to support that the Mercs that ComStar used to place around their HPG stations were actually ComGuard units, one of the very things that ComStar said they never had, untill they activated the ComGuard to fight the Clans, again making the Great Houses go "WTF?!?!"

#4 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 12:47 PM

I'm surprised PGI didn't do a Comguards tech pack. Surely there were enough unique mechs to fill out a four pack?

#5 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 23 April 2018 - 01:00 PM

View PostMechaBattler, on 23 April 2018 - 12:47 PM, said:

I'm surprised PGI didn't do a Comguards tech pack. Surely there were enough unique mechs to fill out a four pack?

In a way we got them...

Crab 27SL
Black Knight 6B
King Crab 000

Those are the most ComGuard units I can think of during the invasion era...

#6 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 01:21 PM

View PostMechaBattler, on 23 April 2018 - 12:47 PM, said:

Indeed. It's a crime that the Clan Busters haven't been released.

Edited by Bombast, 23 April 2018 - 01:21 PM.

#7 Jonathan8883

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 708 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 01:48 PM

They did not. The Wobblies and everything after them is generally considered to be...ill-conceived.

Classic BattleTech cuts off right before the Jihad, and I think you'll find a lot of people would prefer to pretend that it never happened.

#8 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 01:50 PM

Haha. Yes, the community has given me that impression. I wonder how far HBS will go in the timeline. For sure they'll go to the Clans, at that point you're printing money. But I'd be curious if they go into Word of Blake territory.

Edited by MechaBattler, 23 April 2018 - 01:53 PM.

#9 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 01:52 PM

View PostMechaBattler, on 23 April 2018 - 01:50 PM, said:

Haha. Yes, the community has given me that impression. I wonder how far HBS will go in the timeline. For sure they'll go to the Clans, at that point your printing money. But I'd be curious if they go into Word of Blake territory.

If there current trend holds, they wont make enough games to get that far.

#10 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 23 April 2018 - 09:35 PM

Of course the majority of BattleTech fans do not like the Third Transfer of humanity.
Usually confronted with their mistakes and their false believes they rather cry havoc and burn witches but to change.
This is exactly what the holy war was, WoB did threat the Lord's to stop their childish behaviour and behave like mature rulers, even started a program to rebuild the IS after Victor and his sister's broke humans and family's like toys in the kindergarten.

Well, not able to understand their mistakes those idiots you've sworn loyalty to called bluff. But like every sixth grade school bully they ran with tears in their eyes when they got kicked in their teeth by this small 3 grade students.

So after this correction, ComStar was to preserve humanity's knowledge and with the grand destruction of the technology base of the IS their was no need in developing new stuff.
But with the increased war mongering of the Davions it became clear that the move towards terra was a when not a if question.
With a technology transfer between DC and CS they developed improved NARC and C3i
Remarkable to mention the BattleCobra the Steelviper lost so many of their cheap China made Omni Mechs that Focht, ordered to repair and improve the salvaged Cobras - resulting in a though and solid Mech with minimal maintenance needs

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users