2021 mechs

682 replies to this topic

#1 Daeron Katz

Senior Marketing and Community Manager

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 270 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 01:05 PM

In this thread, lets discuss ideas for updating or adding to our current mechs and how they work in MechWarrior Online, such as:
  • New Community-Driven 'Mech (Community input to new 'Mech chassis choice)
  • New 'Mech Variants
  • Rescale 'Mechs (for fun and role vs volumetric)
  • Fix Mech Mobility (Desync)
  • Update Bolt-Ons (Stay Attached)
  • Quirks / Set of 8's for Under Performers
  • Armor Balance for Arm Weapon-Only 'Mechs (Jenner, Jagermech, Rifleman)
  • Weapon Balance Pass
  • IS Omnimechs / Engine Discussion

#2 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 16 November 2020 - 04:54 PM

New Community-Driven 'Mech

Spoiler

I would push for the Bull Shark. It's work is mostly done, it's already in HBS Battletech. It's less work for PGI.

IS Omnimechs / Engine Discussion

XL engine needs to be survivable if we are to push fixed IS XL engine, even if it's just for the Omnis. People can survive 65 KPH on a BJ sure, I agree. But it'll be basically like Urbie effectively like a medium mech, the BJ Omni would basically be a small Heavy mech to compensate anyways.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 29 April 2021 - 06:55 AM.

#3 GaelicWolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 150 posts
  • LocationStuck somewhere between a Fantasy and Reality

Posted 16 November 2020 - 05:33 PM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 16 November 2020 - 04:54 PM, said:

Spoiler

I would push for the Bull Shark. It's work is mostly done, it's already in HBS Battletech. It's less work for PGI.

XL engine needs to be survivable if we are to push fixed IS XL engine, even if it's just for the Omnis. People can survive 65 KPH on a BJ sure, I agree. But it'll be basically like Urbie effectively like a medium mech, the BJ Omni would basically be a small Heavy mech to compensate anyways.

+100000000 for this
Posted Image

Edited by GaelicWolf, 16 November 2020 - 05:41 PM.

#4 Kojin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 117 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 05:37 PM

Imp
Firemoth
Longbow
Conjurer

Are my immediate thoughts for 'missing' mechs, but I'd also agree with looking to the other games and sharing assets as best you can.

As someone who is a bit of a collector, having the Battletech Clan Invasion models in my hands to paint and being able to play with them in MW5, HBS Battletech AND MW:O would just be awesome.

#5 Will9761

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 05:53 PM

For me, I'll just say release the Unseens for the Inner Sphere and Clans (along with the Hellion):

Inner Sphere:

Wasp
Mech Type: BattleMech
Year: 2464
Variants: WSP-1A, WSP-1D, WSP-1S, WSP-1W
Tonnage: 20

Stinger
Year: 2479
Variants: STG-3R, STG-3Gb, STG-6L(ECM/Stealth Variant), STG-6S(MASC Variant)

Osts family: Ostscout, Oststol and Oststroc

Clans:

Howler (Baboon)
Year: 2871
Variants: Howler - 1, 2(MASC Variant), and 3(“Devil”)

Locust IIC
Mech Type: BattleMech, I.S. Refit
Year: 2832
Variants: Locust IIC - 1,2,3,4, 5 and 6
Tonnage: 25

Hellion
Mech Type: OmniMech
Year: 3059
Variants: Hellion Prime, Alt. Config A, B,C and D
Tonnage: 30

Horned Owl (Peregrine)
Year: 2835
Variants: Horned Owl (Peregrine) - 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5
Tonnage: 35

Shadow Hawk IIC
Mech Type: Clan BattleMech, I.S. Refit
Year: 2831
Variants: Shadow Hawk IIC - 1, 2, 3 and 4
Tonnage: 45

Phoenix Hawk IIC
Mech Type: Clan BattleMech, I.S. Refit
Year: 2831
Variants: Phoenix Hawk IIC - 1(Ballistic), 2 (Missile), 3(Laser)
Tonnage: 80

Edited by Will9761, 22 November 2023 - 09:47 PM.

#6 codynyc

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 321 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Locationda Bronx

Posted 16 November 2020 - 06:35 PM

inner sphere omni mechs. avatar ....sunder...

more maps... or maybe a map pack ... how about community tools so we can make our own maps.

#7 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,629 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 16 November 2020 - 06:59 PM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 16 November 2020 - 04:54 PM, said:

Spoiler

This +1.

PGI is utilizing only a portion of the engine crit rules and heatscale. Add that for any players running an IS trial mech or purchasing trial/champion/etc IS mechs w/isXL, even with the heat bar sitting at 0% isXL is instant death w/loss of a ST, whereas for cXL and the couple of mechs w/LFE it isn't. And it would make IS Omnimechs viable instead of players targeting a ST instead of CT/cockpit or both ST/legs to kill said mech. (CT/cockpit/both legs still needed for STD too ).
  • isXL 40% Engine loss heat capacity / x% loss heat dissipation / 25% movement
  • cXL 25-30% Engine loss heat capacity/ x% loss heat dissipation / 20% movement
  • LFE 15-20% Engine loss heat capacity/ x% loss heat dissipation / 15% movement

#8 XX Sulla XX

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 07:21 PM

I quick thing that can be done is upping the mobility on a lot of mechs like the Timber Wolf. And then later seeing about adding some extra mobility for the larger engines while keeping the current good mobility for small engines.

And of course a weapons balance pass and quirks pass would be great.

Edited by XX Sulla XX, 17 November 2020 - 12:18 AM.

#9 Kushiels Dart

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 18 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationIdaho USA

Posted 16 November 2020 - 07:29 PM

Updated 25 November 2020 (part 3) A continuing set of posts

Dear Sirs & Ladies: I really would like to see the following mechs - before I die, which might be very soon (I'm not kidding):

A] As I reminisce and do these updates I realize that the following items need to be addressed.

B] Reward your loyal FOUNDERS in all 3 levels - Regular, Elite and the big one Legendary (I'll be darned that is little ol' me with almost 600 mechs in my stables Bwahhahahwahaha [ a most evil laff while I, Kushiels Dart, grins from ear-to-ear]). Do this especially for those of us who play almost daily (again lil' ol' me)

C] I live in a remote area of Idaho and I feel I am being punished every time YOUR game crashes or YOUR server loses connection. STOP IT!

D] I feel that those of us who helped found this game are now just secondary citizens who are being ignored.

1) From the 2750 tech manual:The LANCELOT, the GUILLOTINE, the FLASHMAN, the CROCKETT (do not dishonor it by naming it the Katana), and the HUSSAR, Finally introduce as the first Inner Sphere Omni the MERCURY! The MERCURY needs to be introduced as it beginning all of the clan mechs and a glimpse of the future of Inner Sphere mechs

2) From the 3025 tech manual I think it would be nice to introduce the OSTSCOUT, OSTROC, & OSTSOL (you could do a all-in-one package featuring the mechs from OST Industries - hint hint) and finally the CLINT, the CRUSADER, and the LONGBOW.

3) Here is another big gripe. Where is the AXMAN and the HATCHETMAN? You might not be able to create a functional ax and hatchet but it could be at least cosmetic!

4) Here is quick money source: Make the KING CRAB stable available for sale at your web site. You already have it as bits and pieces. Get the various chassis variants assembled in one place and offer as a package! Instant money and no development of a new chassis! DUH! I get tired of asking about this and being told "I will forward your idea to the appropriate personnel" Who are the appropriate personnel and why has this not been addressed to my, AND A LOT OF OTHER MECHWARRIORS, satisfaction.

5) And finally my big beef, and this is a big beef. WHERE ARE THE 4 LEGGED MECHS? The SCORPION, the GOLIATH and the TARANTULA! Don't tell me they are too hard to do/make/create as your competitors already have 4 legged mechs.

Think about introducing the Thunderbolt 5, 10, and 20. You would make a long time gamer very happy.

Now shut-up and take my money

Sincerely, Kushiel's Dart
you have my e-mail address send me a note and i would be glad to actual talk to you via a phone call.

Edited by Kushiels Dart, 25 November 2020 - 09:27 AM.

#10 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,699 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 07:40 PM

heres my mech list

arbiter for people who want hard mode.

then the common ones:
urbie iic
locust iic
bane
any is omnis

#11 Brauer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 07:52 PM

Urbanmech IIC
Commando IIC
WLF IIC

In general clan side needs more variety.

#12 Paladin IIC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Carnivore
  • The Carnivore
  • 118 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 07:57 PM

Sunder and Avatar, all variants. This will save the game, fix balance issues, and increase your efficiency in the bed room, guaranteed.

#13 Big-G

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 336 posts
  • LocationFormerly New Capetown, now Kikuyu - Lyran Alliance

Posted 16 November 2020 - 07:57 PM

I'm gonna say this in few words:

GIVE ME ALL THE MECHS!

- That is all...

#14 Ragedog4

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 118 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 08:16 PM

To help bring people back I know a lot of people were asking for things like the Grendel and Crusader. So fill in the rest of the more common mechs. New Varients are fun but focus on fixing the current ones with Quirks first so we can get some crazy good random builds (thinking of more Cen-D with auto-shot gun type affects) like the Vindicator could have a quirk where they fire a normal PPC with 50% cool down but dont give it heat reduction so its still hot but can fire 1 PPC really fast. Sets of 8 on most random set ups should for sure have some higher bonuses like having the weaker set ups just crazy spam fire or maybe -15% less heat for all weapons on really bad sets of 8 for example. Give them a reason why you would want those odd set ups.

For sure get IS Omni mechs with engines that are locked in just like Clan Omni mechs.

I would say before the Engine Desync we should shrink 90% of all mechs so that Assaults are not such big hitboxes but lights are still so small they are hard to hit to scale. I think this would generally be a good idea, then scale certain ones that need an extra kick for hitbox fixes. I think giving extra armor on the arm of mechs at THE COST of tonnage is totally fair. Just give them the option to increase the armor on all weaker armed mechs by half a ton split between both arms. Maybe on the Jenner give that one some structure bonus too since they get their arms popped really easy.

Bolt-ons I don't care if they just stick there until the arm is blown off. Most of the time people are focusing center mass anyways.

Weapon Balance I think needs to be focused on AFTER we add new weapons in the CURRENT time line.

#15 Domenoth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 461 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 08:24 PM

• New Community-Driven 'Mech (Community input to new 'Mech chassis choice)
    • Firemoth - Finish the Clan Omnis from 3050 TRO. Anyone willing to buy and pilot a Firemoth won't mind if it needs negative speed quirks to keep it from breaking the Cryengine speed limit. Make it match whatever the Locust and Commando are able to go.
    • Crusader - Just the last IS Mech I feel I need to own before I can be at peace
    • Urby IIC - Because even though it's not what I want most, I'll never say no to an Urby
    • There was a Community Poll 3 years ago back, (I believe) before the pop started to dwindle. You can see the Crusader and Firemoth were very favorably represented in the votes: https://mwomercs.com...pack-poll/
  • New 'Mech Variants
    • I would prefer new Mechs over new variants, but I'll take what I can get.
    • If we only get new variants, try to make them unique with specialized quirks or something like that.
  • Rescale 'Mechs (for fun and role vs volumetric)
    • This is a lot of work I'm sure. If you can do a few at a time in phases, I'd probably say go for it
  • Fix Mech Mobility (Desync)
    • Desync was a good idea
    • Desync is not the problem
    • Please fix the mobility nerfs that released in the same patch as Desync.
    • Again, Desync is not the problem. Desync was a good idea. Maybe update your topic heading so people will understand why Desync is not the problem
  • Update Bolt-Ons (Stay Attached)
    • I'm not against this, but I can only imagine the forum rage you're going to encounter the first time someone thinks hitreg is $%^%$ because they shot a wing bolt-on they saw floating above a hill/building and the Mech it was attached to didn't die.
    • I'm not really interested in bolt-ons, so I don't really have a horse in the race. I'll probably know what to shoot for.
  • Quirks / Set of 8's for Under Performers
    • With as many Mechs as we have, this is one of the only ways to make them feel unique.
    • Please make whatever you do worthwhile. Like the +2.5%XP right now...seriously?
    • That's practically a rounding error. Over the life of the entire leveling process, you're saving me 1 match.
    • But if I'm getting the set-of-8, it probably means I'm using some of the worst omnipods available, so I'm probably behind 5-10 matches due to losing more games overall.
    • If your struggling to make Mechs unique without making them overpowered, maybe consider doing paired positive and negative quirks. The Adder for example:
      • Can't equip more than 5 Energy (and no more than 3 if using a set of 8)</li>
      • 50% ER Large Laser beam duration
      • -11% ER Large Laser cooldown
      • The weapon still has virtually the same DPS (5.115 seconds/cycle vs 5.135 seconds/cycle
      • Adders would be better at poking if played well but probably wouldn't become OP.
    • Light Mechs like the Mist Lynx have AC quirks but they can't equip an AC with enough ammo to make it viable. Consider providing sizable +Ammo quirks.</li>
    • In general, I really liked specialty quirked Mechs. Dragon 1-N, Huginn, etc. I never see those Mechs anymore because they were nerfed too much. I feel like there could have been a better balance point if they were a little too powerful.
  • Armor Balance for Arm Weapon-Only 'Mechs (Jenner, Jagermech, Rifleman)
    • Yes, sounds fine. Variety and flavor keep things interesting.
  • Weapon Balance Pass
    • I don't think weapons are extremely imbalanced right now. I don't think I can say the same about various chassis.
    • Maybe spend time fixing under performing Mechs instead of trying to find new weapon values that don't turn top performing Mechs into over-performing Mechs
  • IS Omnimechs / Engine Discussion
    • IS Omnis are screwed unless engine rules change.
    • Either change the rules, or don't introduce IS Omnis.

Edited by Domenoth, 16 November 2020 - 09:44 PM.

#16 Magic Pain Glove

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • 138 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 08:37 PM

Phoenix Hawk IIC ! Beautiful and glorious ! VOTE NAOW .

#17 50 50

• 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 16 November 2020 - 08:41 PM

Personally I think Quad mechs would be the most interesting and surprising to add to the mix.
I'm happy to see anything new however as the art and modelling is really nice.

Mech Optimizations:
If we detach the skill tree from the mechs I'd like to see a c-bill option to optimize the mechs.
There is already a lot of customization and fine tuning that goes on just with armour values, weapon selection/position and so on.
Quirks add a little flavour to each mech and ultimately the skill tree then further built on that.
I wouldn't mind seeing a feature where we could select a single optimization for each mech out of a selection of 5 or 6 or so possible options so it really becomes a choice.
eg: Do I optimize this mech for heat management or do I optimize for mobility or do I optimize for ammunition storage. Have to pick one for a c-bill cost and c-bill cost to change (like how we can change armour or structure type) and then miss out on the others.

#18 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 16 November 2020 - 08:49 PM

Wolverine iic/Conjurer.

As the leading wolverine enthusiast in this game, I demand the clan wolverine.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Gib pls

Edited by Scout Derek, 17 November 2020 - 05:06 PM.

#19 Fractis Zero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 102 posts
  • LocationNorth Vancouver, Canada

Posted 16 November 2020 - 08:50 PM

View PostWill9761, on 16 November 2020 - 05:53 PM, said:

For me, I'll just say release the Unseens for the Inner Sphere and Clans (along with the Hellion):

Inner Sphere:

Crusader
Year: 2752
Variants: CRD-3R, CRD-3L(Jumper), CRD-3K, CRD-7L(Jumper/ ECM Stealth Variant)
Tonnage: 65

Oh look Artwork!

Posted Image

#20 Thilas

• Pip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 09:47 PM

*IS Omnis need to have XL engines that aren't automatic death on side torso loss, or else very few people would ever consider buying choices like the Avatar or Sunder.

*IMO, any other new mech added needs to be compared to existing mechs to see if it would be truly worthwhile. For example, I like the Turkina, but would that many players really want to buy an Omnimech version of a Madcat II or Supernova that was 5 tons heavier with 6 tons of fixed jumpjets?

*That being said, Clans really do need more variety for lights and assaults. Clan lights are easy with the Firemoth and various IICs, but Clan assaults tend to run into the problem of utilizing tech that's not in the game (Naga, Kodiak II, Tomahawk II, Onager), lack variants (Kodiak II, Omen, Shrike), or face stiff competition at their weight (Kingfisher). In my opinion, the best options here are:

Phoenix Hawk IIC (decent variety of weapons, and could be the more agile option in its weight bracket)
Deimos (variety of weapon options, unique in having MASC at its weight).
Stone Rhino (JJ available, but not fixed, and could potentially aim to make this a tankier (quirked armor?) option compared to the Dire Wolf (firepower) and Kodiak (speed)).

*Oh, and as far as Mech mobility goes, the Atlas, Kodiak, and Timber Wolf all come to mind as mechs that really need help here. Timber Wolf has other issues too (bunny ears).

Edited by Thilas, 16 November 2020 - 10:03 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users