57 replies to this topic

#1 InnerSphereNews

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 12 August 2024 - 10:28 AM

AUGUST LEGENDS

APACHE AND SPECTRE PREVIEW

Hey all, it's been a bit since I've given a sneak peak on some upcoming legends. So let's dive into the August content!
Before I go any further, I just want to remind people that these two mechs and their mechanics are works in progress and there may be bugs or things that are subject to change before the patch and in future patches.
These two legends have unique and brand new equipment called Partial Wing Kits! These kits contain both jumpjets and a partial wing and are locked on to the mech. Further jumpjets cannot be equipped on the mech beyond these kits. Compared to normal jumpjets which prioritize upward movement over forward movement, these kits have a fraction of the upward movement and a much longer burn time. This allows the user to leap across great distances rather than just leaping in the air to fire off a shot or two. While you're in the air, the wings add additional stabilization which removes the traditional jumpjet shake. The two legends are the Phoenix Hawk Spectre, PXH-S(LGD) and the Champion Apache, CHP-AP(LGD), here are some videos showing off how they function!
Stay tuned for August patch notes coming this week! Along in the September patch we're gonna see a certain clan heavy mech get a little bit of a booster pack facelift.

MechWarrior Online

SPECTRE Preview

MECHWARRIOR ONLINE

APACHE PREVIEW

#2 Tiy0s

Staff

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 110 posts
  • LocationEdo, Turtle Bay

Posted 12 August 2024 - 10:42 AM

Woohoo!

Everyone should thank Magic Pain Glove for these design ideas.

Since I've been asked a few times when I posted on discord, yes these wings will have hitboxes.

Since we can't have a new mech without quirks, here's the quirks on the two mechs:

Spectre Quirks:
- LA RA Armor +21
- LT RT Armor +5
- CT Structure +10
- LT RT Structure +9
- LA RA Structure +7
- LL RL Structure +9
- Pulse Laser Heat Gen -20%
- MG Range +50%
- MG ROF +30%
- Fall Damage -50%

Apache Quirks:
- CT Armor +12
- RT LT Armor +10
- RA LA Armor +12
- RL LL Armor +10
- Ballistic Velocity +25%
- RAC ROF +25%
- RAC Jam Ramp Down -50%
- RAC Range +15%
- Fall Damage -50%

One final thing I'd like to add that I didn't put in the above post is that these mechs are completely uncharted territory for us. Partial wing implementation is something new and I'm not sure how they'll turn out balance wise. I can assure you that cauldron and myself will work to get these in a proper place but it may take time. So just bear with us a little bit as we all learn how these will change Mechwarrior together!

#3 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,676 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 12 August 2024 - 11:06 AM

Interesting idea, but it looks like it needs more forward thrust. There is no cover in the air, so I think it's going to be a very easy target, and pretty situational to use to your benefit. It should start at your current walking velocity and increase to, say, 125% of your max top speed and remain there until you let off the button or it runs out. You could use it along the ground to get a boost in speed as well, but it is generating heat, so that should be the tradeoff, and balanced with that in mind. If this is ever given to lights, 125% of top speed would probably be OP given their smaller hitbox and higher normal max speed. Or maybe the flight max speed should be a fixed number based on chassis so it can be balanced per chassis. I also see a potential concern with fall damage. Maybe these mechs should be quirked to lessen the damage from fall damage as well? Nevermind!

Edited by TheCaptainJZ, 12 August 2024 - 11:07 AM.

#4 Tiy0s

Staff

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 110 posts

Posted 12 August 2024 - 11:10 AM

I'm not sure what the exact mechanic is for speed loss in the air(it's somewhere but I'm sure I'm not digging in the right part of our documentation), but I do know that the speedometer lies. You don't lose speed near as fast as it shows.

For the first 10 seconds of your flight or so, your speed should be almost the same as your ground speed before you took off.

#5 GreyNovember

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 12 August 2024 - 12:10 PM

So what I'm taking away from this is that it is very much possible to alter the direction of JJ thrust.

Which means the excessive JJs of some Omnimechs that don't really help them at all, while being hardlocked, can be turned into something more horizontally useful than the awkward cliff scaling they do.

Perhaps not quite Armored Core, but that's the direction I'm looking at.

#6 MechWarrior2150582

• Pip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 14 posts
  • LocationSolar System

Posted 12 August 2024 - 12:19 PM

I have made two new posts on "New Easy To Implement Features" - please like/comment to make it more popularPosted Image

1) New Features - Proposition
https://mwomercs.com...ersionend-game/

2) New Achievements - Proposition
https://mwomercs.com...w-achievements/

FIX Basic Bugs 1st:
I have tested HSL across many mechs. MWO is totally bugged:
- It is not included in the MechStats (Under Firepower) even if HSL occurs in the omnipod.
- Even if HSL is included, it does not affect Heat Penalty.
- Some mechs have HSL + 1, but they function as if they had HSL + 4.
- Some mechs have HSL + 3, but they function as if they had HSL - 10.

Targeting Computer may work (how can we know?), but its stat boosts are not shown in MechLab:
- Projectile speed remains the same in the MechLab UI.
- Laser ranges remain the same in the MechLab UI.
- Stats for projectile speed and laser range are unchanged in MechStats (Under Firepower).

Why do developers add "crazy wings" when there are basic unfixed bugs in the game, or I am missing something?

Posted Image

Edited by MechWarrior2150582, 17 August 2024 - 01:17 AM.

#7 w0qj

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,554 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 12 August 2024 - 01:04 PM

New ideas in MWO play mechanic? YES! :) ;) :)

#8 aznrobot

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 August 2024 - 02:13 PM

Did you consider the TT rules for partial wings as a starting point for their implementation? Basically partial wings (in standard atmosphere but we can ignore that for the purposes of this game) gave you enhanced jumping capabilities (+2 jumpjets for lights and mediums and +1 for heavies and assaults) as well as giving the mech increased heat dissipation.

#9 JOATMON Incorporated

• PipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 93 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 12 August 2024 - 02:22 PM

This is very interesting.

What you have put in isn't exactly a WiGE or an LAM using older rules.

My initial reaction from the videos is that I sort of wish this partial wing was available on a fast jumpy light mech to assist the team with LRM spotting and arty/airstrikes.

I am very curious how it will flesh out over time.

#10 GreyNovember

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 12 August 2024 - 02:31 PM

Oh good lord I just realized what else Partial Wing means for the pilot.

You become an even larger LRM Landing platform.

If you thought the KGC was bad about this, you haven't seen anything yet. XL Engines will be so much easier to pop.

#11 Tiy0s

Staff

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 110 posts

Posted 12 August 2024 - 03:11 PM

View PostJOATMON Incorporated, on 12 August 2024 - 02:22 PM, said:

This is very interesting.

What you have put in isn't exactly a WiGE or an LAM using older rules.

My initial reaction from the videos is that I sort of wish this partial wing was available on a fast jumpy light mech to assist the team with LRM spotting and arty/airstrikes.

I am very curious how it will flesh out over time.

It's a modification of the Partial Wing mech equipment. I believe the largest deviation is the weight of the wings.

#12 Hawk819

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,663 posts
  • Location666 Werewolf Lane. Transylvania, Romania Ph#: Transylvania 6-5000

Posted 12 August 2024 - 03:11 PM

Please tell me that Apache has more than two ballistic hard points. Love the Arms, but seriously, there needs to more than that. Just saying.

#13 Iliyena

Rookie

• The Scattershot
  • The Scattershot
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 August 2024 - 03:19 PM

So a real Gundam and a Helicopter. Thanks, cannot wait to shoot them down ! :D

#14 chaosshade2638

• PipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 98 posts
  • LocationAround

Posted 12 August 2024 - 03:36 PM

ooo... I hope this paves the way for Dark Age mechs with PWKs like the Gyrfalcon and the Shrike

#15 Alandios

Rookie

• The Fearless
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 August 2024 - 04:02 PM

Fascinating concept. One thing that I'd like to point out about the Partial Wing is that it was developed by the Jade Falcons, not Inner Sphere. I feel like there should be a Jade Falcon designed mech to make use of them first, but the designs that make use of them only start to appear well past the Clan Invasion era, mostly in the Early Republic. Maybe it's time for an era change? Go to the 3080's?

At the very least, now CGL's Urbanmech LAM can now be sort of a thing in MWO. The Phoenix Hawk did have a LAM version back in the day, but everyone hated working with them in tabletop, so it's not a thing anymore, but I can see where the Spectre can fit in. The Champion, however, feels a bit out of place like that.

Edited by Alandios, 12 August 2024 - 04:12 PM.

#16 chaosshade2638

• PipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 98 posts
  • LocationAround

Posted 12 August 2024 - 04:50 PM

View PostAlandios, on 12 August 2024 - 04:02 PM, said:

Fascinating concept. One thing that I'd like to point out about the Partial Wing is that it was developed by the Jade Falcons, not Inner Sphere. I feel like there should be a Jade Falcon designed mech to make use of them first, but the designs that make use of them only start to appear well past the Clan Invasion era, mostly in the Early Republic. Maybe it's time for an era change? Go to the 3080's?

At the very least, now CGL's Urbanmech LAM can now be sort of a thing in MWO. The Phoenix Hawk did have a LAM version back in the day, but everyone hated working with them in tabletop, so it's not a thing anymore, but I can see where the Spectre can fit in. The Champion, however, feels a bit out of place like that.

There IS precedence for the Champion to have a flight system with the LAM version. You are right though, the Partial Wing System concept was entirely of Jade Falcon origin.

#17 Ralph Edwards

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ravenous
  • The Ravenous
  • 190 posts

Posted 12 August 2024 - 05:52 PM

Clan heavy with a booster pack face lift you say? Now you are speaking my language. I wait anxiously for September.

#18 BarHaid

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationMid-Cascadia

Posted 12 August 2024 - 06:22 PM

This is fantastic! I second the request for a light chassis soon!

#19 Nimnul

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 18 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 18 Qualifier
  • 255 posts

Posted 12 August 2024 - 07:59 PM

I don't think it's a good idea. Because you become visible to the entire enemy team. Everyone shoots once and you're sent to the hangar. The problem could be solved with greater maneuverability left/right(200% lateral acceleration\deceleration).

Edited by Nimnul, 12 August 2024 - 08:35 PM.

#20 PiVoR

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 12 August 2024 - 08:19 PM

Looks fun but in reality you won't survive 3 seconds flying cause you just will be one big target without a cover, flying works for small mechs cause they are.. small, fast, and hard to hit, big and slow heavy mech in the air is a death wish.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users