Unseen/reseen: Aye Or Nay?

408 replies to this topic

Poll: Unseen, Reseen or nope? (1175 member(s) have cast votes)

Should PGI add the Reseen/Unseen?

1. I accept nothing but the original Unseen. (115 votes [9.79%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.79%

2. Voted I prefer the Unseen, but if it isn't possible to add them, I will accept the Reseen. (645 votes [54.89%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 54.89%

3. I prefer the Reseen. (140 votes [11.91%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.91%

4. I don't care if the Reseen/Unseen will be added. (179 votes [15.23%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.23%

5. I prefer PGI to bring a whole new design of these mechs (not Unseen, not Reseen). (96 votes [8.17%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.17%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:21 AM

Many members here don't know what are these Unseen and Reseen people talk about. Let's clear it out.

Unseen: are mech designs (drawings) from the very beginning of the Battletech. They look like mechs used in some anime shows and were removed from the Battletech after several legal problems.

Reseen: are new drawings for those mechs (from the Technical Readout: Project Phoenix), exclusive for Battletech. They don't have any legal issue but depart from the original designs. Some are cool, some are uninspired, some are just ugly (I'm looking at you, Shadow Hawk).

Say hello to our little friends:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Old Battletech players love the Unseen. They played a lot with them, they have their miniatures. For these players, the "face" of Battletech is the Unseen, so it's natural if they want these designs in MWO.

The problem is: PGI can't use the Unseen because of the concrete risk of a law suit that would jeopardize the entire MWO project (apparently, the use of a semi-Unseen Warhammer in the trailer was one of the reasons for MW5 being canceled).

So, what do you think? Are you OK with PGI adding the Reseen designs? Or you will accept nothing but the old & gold Unseen?

EDIT: The Battlemaster, Thunderbolt, Wolverine, Griffin, Shadow Hawk and Locust are Unseen, but never had legal problems. These are mechs from different shows (not Macross): Dougram and Crusher Joe. That's why they were included in MWO (Project Phoenix), even if with slightly changed visuals (OK, Locust changed a lot). The Macross Unseen would still need a major visual review to be in the game.

Well, and it looks like the Ost-mechs (Ostsol, Ostroc and Ostscout) are not unseen anymore (they feature with their original arts in the recent Record Sheets 3039 Unabridged book (the other Macross unseen show only the silhouette).

If you dig into legal details, here is some good reading:
Spoiler

PS: personally, I find the Reseen Marauder ultra sexy. Rifleman is also very good, Archer is OK, but the Warhammer is kind of weak.

Edited by Odanan, 10 February 2016 - 03:20 PM.
updated the images

#2 acealpha1027

• PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationHagerstown ,MD

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:23 AM

i want the reseen o.o those look beast!

#3 NPComplete

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationIf there's a bright center to the universe, I'm on the planet that it's farthest from

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:27 AM

I would support adding the reseen or unseen. I think some mechs look better in the reseen drawing, some in the unseen. But to me, the important thing is to have a Marauder, Warhammer, Rifleman, Archer, Wolverine, etc.

#4 Gowan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 415 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:30 AM

I just want to fight against Marauders. It's my deep-down secret hope for Mech 16 -- a reseen MAD to confuse our targeting computers when we make initial contact with the Mad Cat.

I prefer the reseen primarily because I don't wanna see this game fall into any legal trouble,simple as that.

View PostNPComplete, on 28 August 2012 - 05:27 AM, said:

But to me, the important thing is to have a Marauder, Warhammer, Rifleman, Archer, Wolverine, etc.

Exactly that.

#5 Bogsveigir

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 82 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:33 AM

I voted as preferring the Un-seen, but accepting the Re-seen. I do feel that it is a moot point, however. The only real difference is in appearance. Why is that moot? The redesigned mechs we've seen so far are simply brilliant! None look exactly like the old miniatures I spent so many hours painting while deployed around the Pacific Ocean. I feel that whatever this team would do with them would only be an improvement on either design.

#6 Razor Kotovsky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 754 posts
  • LocationRussian Death Legion, Golden Lion lance lieutenant

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:36 AM

Basically what everyone says. I don't care unseen or reseen i just want my marauder.

#7 New Day

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,394 posts
  • LocationEye of Terror

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:42 AM

Didn't MW4:Mercenaries have the unseen version of Marauder?

#8 Trickster Fox

• PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:45 AM

Neither. The dev's have done stated way back before the beta even came out that they will not be added. Plus they are ugly as shart anyway.

#9 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:51 AM

View PostNamesAreStupid, on 28 August 2012 - 05:42 AM, said:

Didn't MW4:Mercenaries have the unseen version of Marauder?

No. Unless is an non-official (fan made) mech pack.

#10 Czardread

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 190 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:51 AM

Namesarestupid, yes, there was not only the marauder but most of the unseen where added later in mW4: mercenaries. thing is, they where added only when mektek stated modding the game.
Mektek does not officialy own mw4: mercenaries, but the company that owns the copyrights (don't remember if its microsoft or someone else) gave then a guarrantee that they would not sue then for modding the game as long as they encourage people who download the mods to acquire the original (though nowadays it's near impossible to find a retail copy of the original).

Community feel free to correct me if wrote down something wrong or stupid. am posting as i known it.

#11 Razor Kotovsky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 754 posts
  • LocationRussian Death Legion, Golden Lion lance lieutenant

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:55 AM

View PostCzardread, on 28 August 2012 - 05:51 AM, said:

Namesarestupid, yes, there was not only the marauder but most of the unseen where added later in mW4: mercenaries. thing is, they where added only when mektek stated modding the game.
Mektek does not officialy own mw4: mercenaries, but the company that owns the copyrights (don't remember if its microsoft or someone else) gave then a guarrantee that they would not sue then for modding the game as long as they encourage people who download the mods to acquire the original (though nowadays it's near impossible to find a retail copy of the original).

Community feel free to correct me if wrote down something wrong or stupid. am posting as i known it.
What the **** am i reading?

MekPak was not a commercial product and therefore harmony gold couldn't sue them.

Else the **** would storm every TT player with an unseen miniature and sue sites hosting unseen pictures.
Such is the nature of envy.

View PostTrickster Fox, on 28 August 2012 - 05:45 AM, said:

Neither. The dev's have done stated way back before the beta even came out that they will not be added. Plus they are ugly as shart anyway.
Unseen or reseens? Not adding any of aforementioned mechs is rather stupid as they are only IS direct-fire heavy boats.

Edited by Razor Kotovsky, 28 August 2012 - 05:59 AM.

#12 WolfSpider

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:59 AM

View PostTrickster Fox, on 28 August 2012 - 05:45 AM, said:

I dont believe there has been an officail statement made either way yet.
Until then I still believe this
Q. Will the unseen Mechs make it into the game after all?

A. Look forward to a future announcement.

I am still looking forward for it!!!

#13 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:00 AM

I agree with Bogsveigir. < sleight irony on >
But I would prefer the Unseen not to be added if there are massive problems with copyrights and such greedy malevolent things like companys beeing touchy about some conceps that are nearly 30 years old.
<irony of>

Edited by The Basilisk, 28 August 2012 - 06:10 AM.

#14 Veggies

• PipPip
  • The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:07 AM

Shadow Hawk, please. SHADOW HAWK, PLEASE. SHADOW HAWK, PLEASE.

#15 The Mad Jester

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:11 AM

My opinion is to get the mechs in, no matter what. What I ask is what would it take to get the legal rights to show the unseens in MWO? Those are perfect, and my faves. But I'll take the reseens if need be.

#16 WolfSpider

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:15 AM

There is just too much history tied to those named mechs to just dump them from play. I dont care what they look like I just want to play them. When they put them in the game I would buy a legendary membership, if not I doubt I will even spend the money to upgrade my computer.

#17 CharlieV

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:18 AM

I will be pleased with adding Unseen, but if they wanna add Reseen, they can keep them where they are... They're ugly and Marauder is Marauder because it look like Marauder, not something looking totally different with same name. I can have mech with same payload vith PPC variant of catapult, and it looks much more similar to original design.

Btw, there are better reseen designs on forum from one of users than those posted above.

But I must admit that dev's sure can tighten us with their "future announcement". Looking forward too ;)

#18 Thoryn

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:19 AM

View PostNPComplete, on 28 August 2012 - 05:27 AM, said:

I would support adding the reseen or unseen. I think some mechs look better in the reseen drawing, some in the unseen. But to me, the important thing is to have a Marauder, Warhammer, Rifleman, Archer, Wolverine, etc.

Agreed.

#19 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:27 AM

some people are under the impression that PGI just needs to 'pay a royalty' to get the Unseen in, and that such a fee is trivial.

It's not.

These are competing companies that are well within their right to simply say 'no, never, not for any amount of money'. They are not in the business of collecting tiny royalties, they are selling their own media/toys/mechandise.

Using so-called 'reseen' designs could still land them in lots of legal trouble, because the rights-holding companies can take them to court and make a judge decide- a judge who is not a gamer, game designer, or fan. Even winning the case is a cost PGI probably can't afford (both in terms of money and bad press!)

#20 BrokenDog

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationMiddlesex(UK)

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:31 AM

Would love to have the old stuff back, but I will be happy with those mechs that are in the game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users