Marauder Contest - Top 5 Voting - Closed

133 replies to this topic

Poll: Marauder Contest - Top 5 Voting (685 member(s) have cast votes)

Out of these five, choose your most preferred Marauder design:

1. Submission #1: by Bishop Steiner (102 votes [14.89%])

Percentage of vote: 14.89%

2. Submission #2: by Karyudo DS (94 votes [13.72%])

Percentage of vote: 13.72%

3. Submission #3: by Marcobra (289 votes [42.19%])

Percentage of vote: 42.19%

4. Submission #4: by ResidentCrow (118 votes [17.23%])

Percentage of vote: 17.23%

5. Submission #5: by Shimmering Sword (82 votes [11.97%])

Percentage of vote: 11.97%

Vote

#1 MoonUnitBeta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:08 AM

\\ \\ \\ \\ \\ VOTING CLOSED \\ \\ \\ \\ \\

CLICK HERE FOR THE WINNERS AND CLOSING STATEMENTS!

Posted Image

(Mods: I had to post this in this forum because none other allows for polls :))

Welcome to the last voting phase for this contest, where the winning designs are to be decided! Exciting!!! Congratulations to these five artists for moving into this round. I can’t wait to hand out prizes. ;)

Even though not everyone can make it into this round, I want to re-iterate the drive of this contest. It means a huge amount that so many submissions came rolling in; it shows PGI the potential in diversity of the Marauder's design, drawing in such a vast amount of talent drives the support for the Marauder home, and each submission made is an example of the high expectations in a wide variety of hearts. It is interesting to see submissions that vary greatly in design, yet share similar amount of votes (not something I expected!). Thirty-one submissions and each one tells their own story. You'll notice that in the bottom left corner of the banners there are two words written there, and without the community there wouldn't be a contest. I hope that everyone who participated takes pride in their creations, and the opportunity to be a part of something great for something great - the Marauder!

Stay tuned until Nov. 23rd when I announce the winners and bring the contest to a close. - Here. :)
You have until Nov. 22nd 11:59PM PST to cast your vote. Closed

Voting for this contest is over. Thank you everyone who took the time to place your votes.

Spoiler

Posted Image

Click to view the top five submissions - Voting is close.

Spoiler

This thread will be valid until Nov. 22nd 11:59PM PST, when I take screenshots of the total amounts. Any votes made after that time will not be considered. The top 3 most voted on will be awarded First, Second, and Third places accordingly. Nov 23rd I will make a thread to officially announce the winners and bring the contest to a close.

Edited by MoonUnitBeta, 23 November 2013 - 12:43 AM.

#2 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:19 AM

For anyone wondering why this is in Feature Suggestions - MoonUnitBeta couldn't make a poll in the other forum (FanSite Jumpship). It's not actually a suggestion for PGI to implement anything, it's a design contest.

(Though of course many of us would love to see the Marauder in game.)

#3 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:58 AM

View PostMustrumRidcully, on 18 November 2013 - 01:19 AM, said:

It's not actually a suggestion for PGI to implement anything, it's a design contest.

As low as the chances are, I would say that it is.

#4 GalaxyBluestar

• 3,748 posts
  • Location...

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:15 AM

i'm sure pgi will submit these to HG because they know the money involved... then again we all know what HG's answer is so PGI will be saving time and money, saddly ;)

#5 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:35 AM

holy {Scrap}! I actually made the top 5?

I'll take that as a win in itself. Congrats to the survivors, and cheers to all the artists involved!

Well, TBH, it's a tough choice, but I keep feeling I favor Karyudo's slightly more than the others. It was between his and MarCobras. And there are one or two niggling things on Mar's, whereas I can find no "complaints" at all on Karyudo's.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 18 November 2013 - 03:38 AM.

#6 Carrioncrows

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:13 AM

As much as i like the other designs and I like them a lot.

I am going to have to go with MarCobras design for one simple reason. It's the one that looks the least like the original marauder.

As much as I like the other designs they are simply too much like the original marauder. I know it it's less than shiny by having my vote influenced by politics, but there it is.

It was a fun contest and the best of luck to the top 5, you all did a fantastic job.

#7 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:15 AM

View PostCarrioncrows, on 18 November 2013 - 04:13 AM, said:

As much as i like the other designs and I like them a lot.

I am going to have to go with MarCobras design for one simple reason. It's the one that looks the least like the original marauder.

As much as I like the other designs they are simply too much like the original marauder. I know it it's less than shiny by having my vote influenced by politics, but there it is.

It was a fun contest and the best of luck to the top 5, you all did a fantastic job.

politics are the devil!

#8 Carrioncrows

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:18 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 18 November 2013 - 04:15 AM, said:

politics are the devil!

And the is the beast of it really.

Most of the the designs that won are more nods towards the original Marauder artwork and less based upon the project phoenix, and if we are ever going to have a chance of having the marauder in MWO one day it is going to have to be off of the Project Phoenix version.

I know, FO Shame bring'n in politics to a Art Contest.

=|

#9 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:25 AM

View PostCarrioncrows, on 18 November 2013 - 04:18 AM, said:

And the is the beast of it really.

Most of the the designs that won are more nods towards the original Marauder artwork and less based upon the project phoenix, and if we are ever going to have a chance of having the marauder in MWO one day it is going to have to be off of the Project Phoenix version.

I know, FO Shame bring'n in politics to a Art Contest.

=|

I thought only UC Berkeley mixed arts and politics....

and TBH, I think Alex could rock the heck out of the PP Mad. I think the basic design concept for it is extremely sound. Just needs to stick to the paddle arms and make the legs less Kate Moss.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 18 November 2013 - 04:26 AM.

#10 Carrioncrows

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:35 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 18 November 2013 - 04:25 AM, said:

...and make the legs less Kate Moss.

I have no idea why but I find that statement absurdly amusing.

#11 Rasfaratu

• Pip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:18 AM

For me it was a hard pick between Marcobras design and shimmering swords...

I ended up picking Marcobras because of the cockpit design however, otherwise those two designs are equally great in my mind!

#12 Fherot

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:47 AM

Now that the top 5 are picked as the best of the lot I can crack my knuckles and speak up. You guys are the top of all the past submissions so I can be honest finally knowing you have all done great work so your skin is thick. This is all 100% honest thought with no fake politeness or anything.

Marcrobras needs a longer snout so it looks less Cicada and more Marauder but otherwise got my vote as overall favourite in the contest. Its also the only one in the top five that approaches the 'menacing/fearsome' looking descriptions of the marauder. A feared battlemech on the battlefield.

Shimmering Sword's submission just looks too big and rounded to me, the Marauder should be sleek. He's obviously the king of painting Marauders and he did this one quickly so I think he can bite the bullet in that it does indeed look like a friendly assault mech.

Karyudo's seems a little exaggerated to me and too similar to other marauder designs with similar templates like Shimmering Sword's cover art work. I honestly skipped over it mostly as it never captured my interest as a Marauder.

Residentcrow... I have stayed quiet about but I have to blink when I see how many people exclaim that it screams marauder to them. His work itself is amazing - the attention to detail, color and raw talent. But the design looks like a 50 ton pirate mech built with spare parts. Just looks like its ready to fall apart to me.

Bishop Steiner's I have a hard time understanding the legs. Just seems like a beefed up military version of Matt Plog's AggroMech-looking Marauder. I'm sorry I don't like this design as a Marauder. This is a good start to a new design though. I wish we could come away from this sort of cockpit design as well that so many use.

Not the top 5 that I thought from the start would be here. I really think Daedric's should be up there. But the community has spoken and they have acquired tastes.

Didn't think mine should be top 5 as far as Marauder but I'm beginning to think we should never have it. It seems too important a mech to try and please everyone. Though every single mech in MWO has been the best I have ever seen or imagined. Now when's that Nightstar contest so I can submit mine again properly?

Edit: long post + phone = fail

Edited by Fherot, 18 November 2013 - 07:52 AM.

#13 jay35

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:04 AM

There are aspects I really like from numbers 1, 3, and 4, but since we can only choose one, #3 gets my vote since it has the design that overall looks most fitting for MWO, aside from the legs seeming proportionally too large compared to the torso.

They're all great. Here are my nitpicks:
#1 I love the style of the artwork but the cockpit is too big and prominent.
#2 The proportions seem off/awkward
#3 The legs seem proportionally too large compared to the torso, but otherwise overall best design
#4 The most Japanese feeling and I love it. It's just not Battletech/MechWarrior imho.
#5 Too soft, rounded, not enough detail, especially on the CT.

Edited by jay35, 18 November 2013 - 08:10 AM.

#14 MrEdweird

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 273 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:18 AM

I picked Karyudo's design because it's closest to Dadrick's entry.
Good work all but I'm confused - I thought ShimmeringSword din't want to get entered?

#15 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:46 AM

View PostFherot, on 18 November 2013 - 07:47 AM, said:

critique

A fair and solid critique, IMO.

BISHOP STEINER: when it comes to my design, first let me say, I am pretty shocked to be in the finals, as my art execution skills are nowhere near being in the same league as the other 4, or even many of the submissions that did not make the Finals, like Hammur's, or CarrionCrow's. I can only assume, the actual design elements themselves spoke to people, which I am happy about, being unskilled in digital art, I know my limitations are currently toward TRO style line art.

As for the design itself, I largely agree with you. I generally prefer to lean toward the hooded viewport, as it fits the "obscured field of view" described in fluff and TRO. I decided to try something totally different, since I had actually done several hooded versions in the past. As for the size, it is approximately the same as the Cataphract, so take that as one will.

The legs. Yeah. Those were not cooperating. The idea, which generally worked, was to tale the Glaug Pod legs, and try to make them work. The only way to do so, IMO, was to give them the extra joint at the ankle sheath, like the Cicada. That said, they seem too spindly and out of proportion with the rest of the mech. I was trying to work on a commision at the same time, and sadly neither are what I would have liked to see as finished products.

KARYUDO DS: I like the design a lot. Not as groundbreaking as Marcobra's, per se, or Resident Crow's, but maybe that is why it feels more Maraudery to me. I think that simply sliding the torso back 10% or so, would do a lot for the balance, along with moving the Gauss back a skosh too, maybe in a heavier mount to counter the jut of the snout. Not as many nick nacks bolted on as some, which leaves it a little plain, but out of the 5 candidates, I guess I would say it won by default,because it had the least nits to pick out of the options.

MARCCOBRA: God I want to love this thing. The details, the quality of execution. BUT. He took a lot of risks, which I applaud, but IMO, some of the design elements he chose, in the end, just not pan out quite right for my eye. The hip join being the most glaring, but I also feel the carapace is still a little to high and back, and such. Best way to describe the minor changes I felt it needed would be here
Spoiler

I hate doing that to someone elses work, but as they say, a picture is worth 1000 words. something closer to that though, and Marcobra would have been my hand's down winner. He still nearly was, just because of the boldness and quality of the work. There were just too many things that I had to keep asking myself about.

RESIDENT CROW: Real cool piece. But it feels a little "busy" with so many bolt ons and such, that it's hard to take it in as a whole, instead of a bunch of little parts tacked together, which does odd things to the perception of proportion. For instance, if I silhouette the legs, they are fine in length. But if I don't, they are so busy that I focus on individual sections, which in turn makes them look out of proportion. I think a cleaner execution would have made this one a standout to win. And hey, it looks like it has a decent chance as is!

SHIMMERING SWORD: Yeah, critiquing the big boy here. Doesn't make me a little like the student telling the teacher he is wrong or anything, lol. That said, there were a couple things. 1) To me, it is still too close in execution to his original, popular mech. My opinion of the criteria was to go all new. Obviously MoonUnitBeta was fine with it, so I can't complain, but it feels too similar still to me, which leads me to the critique: 2) It shares the same overall proportions with the original SS design, and I always felt that design felt too lumbering, more like an amazing take on the Marauder II, than the 75 ton Marauder. Judging by some of the comments on the first contest, I am not alone in that. I get the comment that when you compare the legs to the Cataphract, etc. But the weapon pods feel tiny, which in turns makes the body feel more massive.
Spoiler

Proportioned more along those lines, I would be much more into it. The last critique 3) is that it is kind of the antithesis of Resident Crow's, in that it is almost too clean, which again, does not help with the perception of bulk. Breaking the lines more would have gone a long way to giving it a sleeker, aggressive look. Much of that might have been mitigated had SS had more time to work on it, but I cannot judge on what might have been, but what is.

As for Dadrick's, I can think of a few things that held it back. The picture itself was very stiff. Adding some posture, whether fair or not, goes a long way to giving it energy. The design itself had a very upright, awkward carriage, and some of the individual elements didn't fit the theme as a whole, such as the cockpit.

Just my 2cts, hoping I didn't overstep, or step on any toes. But I feel all levels of artists benefit from honest opinion, even if we don't always share or agree with them.

Regardless, just happy to be in the same breath with the other 4. Thanks MWO peoples!

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 18 November 2013 - 09:50 AM.

#16 Der BruzZzler von Wiesndoof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationAm Grill

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:51 AM

All of the five concepts are really good and all of them diserve a prize!
It was a hard decision to pick one of these five beautiful concepts. I've voted for "Karyudo DS"

Good luck all, and thx for this great community event! ;)

#17 Cimarb

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationA hop, skip and jump from Terra

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:27 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 18 November 2013 - 03:35 AM, said:

holy {Scrap}! I actually made the top 5?

I'll take that as a win in itself. Congrats to the survivors, and cheers to all the artists involved!

Well, TBH, it's a tough choice, but I keep feeling I favor Karyudo's slightly more than the others. It was between his and MarCobras. And there are one or two niggling things on Mar's, whereas I can find no "complaints" at all on Karyudo's.

You were one of my favorites, as I mentioned earlier, just because I love the feel of it and I like rooting for the underdog. Even though I didn't like Karyudos as much in the initial voting, it is probably my favorite of these five just because it is the only one that has the arms at least slightly ahead of the legs... I know that is a small item, but it really means a lot to what I envision a Marauder to look like.

View PostBishop Steiner, on 18 November 2013 - 09:46 AM, said:

SHIMMERING SWORD: ... 2) It shares the same overall proportions with the original SS design, and I always felt that design felt too lumbering, more like an amazing take on the Marauder II, than the 75 ton Marauder. Judging by some of the comments on the first contest, I am not alone in that. I get the comment that when you compare the legs to the Cataphract, etc. But the weapon pods feel tiny, which in turns makes the body feel more massive.
Spoiler

Proportioned more along those lines, I would be much more into it...

That would have been my first choice. I love Shimmering Swords stuff, but it is far too bulky as submitted. Your revisions, if done with more than scissors and tape, would make it pretty close to perfect in my eyes, though I agree it might start getting too close to the original to be safe.

On a totally separate tangent:
Something that I have noticed a lot of people say is that this design should be more menacing, or that design isn't mean enough. I think you are putting way more into descriptions from lore than is warranted. Even the Wolfhound, which was a tiny mech, was described as a fierce design. Shoot, the Nova that Phelan piloted was described as "bristling with weapons". Not a single mech in existence is described as anything but a war machine designed to be the most powerful vehicle in the universe. Even the lowliest mech is a huge asset in a war, and that even goes down to the lowliest agromechs in the Dark Ages.

The Marauder was not feared because of its looks. It was feared because of its capabilities (such as one version being able to fire all three PPCs at once without building up any excess heat, for instance). It was made legend by the pilots that took those capabilities to the next level, such as Grayson and Natasha. It's like a Ford Mustang. Sure, it may not have the most aggressive styling, nor the best statistics compared to {insert vehicle}, but it is a muscle car legend and always will be.

#18 Orionche

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 28 posts
  • LocationCroatia

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:54 PM

Incredibly tough choice, love them all, voted for them all in the last vote, BUT Marcobra's will get the final one, with Resident Crow's a close second! ;)

#19 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:57 PM

Hmm. Next time, Marcobra and Bishop Steiner have to cooperate, because I like the changes, even though I can't put quite a finger on why.

#20 Borehammer

Rookie

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:06 PM

All five of these are fantastic. In the end I voted for Karyudo DS's submition because I felt it did the best job of capturing the Marauder while updating it to fit in with MWO's esthetic.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users