This Needs To Be Fixed.

304 replies to this topic

#1 GalaxyBluestar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,748 posts
  • Location...

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:27 AM

found this disturbing video

found by a player from a certain thread in robert space...

Night_Sniper;

Been cruising the threads about MWO and picked up on this one as a result of the latest revelation on MWO. Posted on the forums and likely going to get a unit banned is a video of the game being played by a player with an altered .cfg file. The player in protest of the cockpit glass issue edited out the entire cockpit giving his a clear view and an expanded view. OOPS, the reason that brought me over to here as a baker of Star Citizen I am concerned how a Crysis 2 game is being run as a peer 2 peer game where no check sum is being run. I say this because when the players mech died he jumped as a spectator form mech to mech and the view was with out a cockpit. This change would suggest that an altered config is accepted by all other players system and the server. Conclusion is the game is 100% hackable. So much so you could even install armor heat and ammo loads to near infinite. .CFG files can be edited with in windows 7 and can be traced using the simple search function I did it to see if it would work.

My concern is as a peer 2 peer is it not possible then to use a trojan to enter an opponents PC and do real harm is this something that is a possibility here on Star Citizen using the same engine?

Hope this does not start a fire storm but I am pissed, shocked, and deeply concerned that this has come to light.

this is serious stuff... let the storm begin.

#2 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:32 AM

I thought it was refreshing. You know, it's like people stuck in a dome, and they manage to find their way out into the world outside that dome.

Sometimes, it's amazing!

Although, I'm sure someone will get a talking to!

Edited by Deathlike, 26 January 2014 - 12:32 AM.

#3 lsp

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,618 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:32 AM

Nothing new.

#4 anonymous161

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 1,267 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:39 AM

I'm assuming by now that guy is banned.

#5 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:42 AM

View PostDarth Bane001, on 26 January 2014 - 12:39 AM, said:

Nope. Founders don't get magically banned.

At best, they will be in purgatory (aka perma-silence).

#6 Featherwood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 01:13 AM

View PostDarth Bane001, on 26 January 2014 - 12:39 AM, said:

View PostDeathlike, on 26 January 2014 - 12:42 AM, said:

Nope. Founders don't get magically banned.

At best, they will be in purgatory (aka perma-silence).

No, he is not and will not be banned, but it has nothing to do with founder's title. Video shown was not a hack, and he didn't removed cockpit glass effect, he just moved anchored point of view beyond cockpit's inner space. He did it by alteration of variable cl_fov value in his custom user.cfg, but what he gained was arguably worth the effort, just look what a distorted perspective he got instead.
Creation and modification of user.cfg is not illegal, it is officially supported by CryEngine, but by doing this you take responsibility for possible glitches, crashes and alike off the PGI, in other words: you lose nothing (just make sure you have backup, but if you don't - don't worry either, others do have). There was statement by some guy from dev team regarding this backdoor customization, I'm too lazy to search for link, help yourself (search → user.cfg).
In my opinion that dude from youtube is his own worst enemy, don't be envy.

#7 GalaxyBluestar

• 3,748 posts
  • Location...

Posted 26 January 2014 - 01:15 AM

View Postlsp, on 26 January 2014 - 12:32 AM, said:

Nothing new.

for sure we all know about .cfg alteration but if it alters beyond the original product like say, getting rid of obstructions, then you have a problem. it shouldn't really be alloud at all but here we go...

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q: Can I change my user.cfg file?

A: Yes. This is the only file open to user modification. We understand that at times there can be a need to modify the user.cfg, for example certain joystick configurations are not fully implemented on the in-game options screen and may require manual configuration through this file. As long as you are editing the user.cfg file in good faith, this is not a concern. As always, Support will not be able to troubleshoot or support clients that have modifications to this file. Users can request via Support ticket or forum post that the developers open additional parameters in the user.cfg, and we will determine if the request is reasonable.

Q: May I use graphical enhancements through third-party applications, such as SweetFX or other CBar modifiers to enhance my graphical performance?

A: We do not encourage the use of these types of modifications and in particular should we detect the use of any modification that does any of the following we reserve the right to suspend/ban the account responsible.

a) Alters visibility significantly from the original product to gain unfair tactical advantages
b ) Changes game assets sounds, models, or maps, to gain tactical advantages
c) Attempts to circumvent the map selection process
d) Exploits bugs or existing game mechanics

see, this shouldn't be allowed and it needs seeing to.

#8 lsp

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,618 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 26 January 2014 - 01:36 AM

I use a altered config file too, oh noes. I don't use the same tweaks as him though, I actualy like seeing the inside of my cockpit.

Edited by lsp, 26 January 2014 - 01:36 AM.

#9 A banana in the tailpipe

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,696 posts
  • Locationbehind your mech

Posted 26 January 2014 - 02:27 AM

That video is pretty damning. Another thing to add to the list of reasons to avoid this game until they get their act together.

#10 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:54 AM

View PostDestined, on 27 January 2014 - 10:52 AM, said:

Hello everyone,

Just to make the point, any modifications made to the game files in order to give the player a significant advantage is prohibited. We are aware of the "No Cockpit Glass" mod and are actively investigating it. Don't use it.

I've left the thread intact so you are aware of what I am referring to.

Cheers!
Destined

^ This

#11 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:06 AM

I honestly can't really blame him for wanting to play the game without cockpit glass obstructions. If something annoying gets added to the game, it shouldn't come as a surprise when people try to find ways around it.

Edited by FupDup, 27 January 2014 - 11:07 AM.

#12 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:18 AM

View PostFupDup, on 27 January 2014 - 11:06 AM, said:

I honestly can't really blame him for wanting to play the game without cockpit glass obstructions. If something annoying gets added to the game, it shouldn't come as a surprise when people try to find ways around it.

Translation

If something I don't like gets added to the game I should be allowed to cheat

#13 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:22 AM

View PostSandpit, on 27 January 2014 - 11:18 AM, said:

Translation

Was this cheating 6 months ago? We have been able to adjust our FoV for months. Or was it just months ago?

#14 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:25 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 27 January 2014 - 11:22 AM, said:

Was this cheating 6 months ago? We have been able to adjust our FoV for months. Or was it just months ago?

Dunno, don't know what the status on adjusting FoV is.

#15 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:26 AM

View PostSandpit, on 27 January 2014 - 11:18 AM, said:

Translation

Real Translation

If something that a lot of people don't like gets added to the game, you should not be surprised when you see players trying to get around it.

I'm also not sure if this workaround qualifies as "cheating" seeing how it's just an FoV adjustment (which have been legal for quite some time).

Edited by FupDup, 27 January 2014 - 11:27 AM.

#16 Ngamok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:28 AM

View PostFupDup, on 27 January 2014 - 11:26 AM, said:

Real Translation

If something that a lot of people don't like gets added to the game, you should not be surprised when you see players trying to get around it.

Real, Real Translation

The developers want to make a game feel realistic but I don't want to see all of it because it obstructs my view from edge to edge of my screen and I want to get rid of it.

It's like the old days of using RivaTuner to turn the LOD to 0 to get rid of grass and stuff to see snipers.

#17 Dimento Graven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:30 AM

That's my vid, and I eagerly await contact from PGI about this.

I only edited the USER.CFG, by adding ONE line.

What little I know about the Crysis engine tells me that this would be VERY EASY for PGI to change, if they wanted to (I don't know why), by modifying one or more of the CFG files they have in the ENGINE.PAK to either change the distance of "near" objects, or, turning off the variable used.

This is nothing more than one hot fix away from being a non-issue.

However, note:

1. When you implement something like this MORE THOUGHT should be put forth into understanding the entire player base, not just those few who take anything you upchuck out there as 'sacrosanct', 'delivered by the finger of god', untouchable extremists, but by the general populace who have to live with not the best video cards, not the best monitors, not the best mice, not the fastest CPU, et al.

2. When you implement something like this that you "plan on" making user configurable, for F's sake don't wait 2 f'ing years or more (ala: film grain) to implement a switch via the least troublesome means, again ala the USER.CFG.

3. Lastly, when a significant number of your player base responds with extreme concern, don't brush them off with, "Yeah well, things change..." as if they're being unreasonable.

Edited by Dimento Graven, 27 January 2014 - 11:39 AM.

#18 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:33 AM

View PostSandpit, on 27 January 2014 - 11:25 AM, said:

Dunno, don't know what the status on adjusting FoV is.

Last I checked, it was heavily requested for an in-game slider (aka sanctioned).

Of course, that hasn't been added yet (let alone in the UI 2.0 test)... like many requested things (AMS/TAG toggle for instance).

Edited by Deathlike, 27 January 2014 - 11:33 AM.

#19 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:35 AM

View PostNgamok, on 27 January 2014 - 11:28 AM, said:

Real, Real Translation

The developers want to make a game feel realistic but I don't want to see all of it because it obstructs my view from edge to edge of my screen and I want to get rid of it.

It's like the old days of using RivaTuner to turn the LOD to 0 to get rid of grass and stuff to see snipers.

Real, Real, Real Real Real Real Real Real Translation...ah I give up.

Anyways, the realism argument doesn't work very well with Battletech. This is the IP where shooting an Atlas in the hand can destroy his entire arm. It's the IP where giant robots are so tall for their mass, that the Atlas in MWO could actually float on water how low its density is! (At least, I've heard rumors about it). This is the IP where a Gauss Rifle, powered by massive electromagnets at enormous levels of energy, generates nearly no heat at all. This is the IP where, well, we use giant robots instead of tanks and other ground vehicles (which have more concentrated armor, plus a lower profile, and can be mass produced easier). This is the IP where most of the Autocannon calibers available (2/5/10/20) are dramatically heavier than their real-life equivalents and with a lot less range. This is the IP where 800 meters is considered "long range" whereas in real life your mech would be instagibbed from miles away by modern technology. The list goes on.

#20 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:36 AM

View Postlockwoodx, on 26 January 2014 - 02:27 AM, said:

That video is pretty damning. Another thing to add to the list of reasons to avoid this game until they get their act together.

Seriously, avoiding the game because of something like this is just plain silly.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users