Community Warfare - Phase 2 - Feedback

529 replies to this topic

#221 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:00 PM

Can we get pics? Unfinished screen caps? iPhone pics of a screen with CW on it? Instagram of the coffee you're drinking while working on CW?

This all sounds awesome. Great and I look forward to playing it. It would help though to have, well, pics this time. CW is a topic that's come up before, everyone got excited, then it sorta faded. Please understand that I believe you and am looking forward to CW - however....

It's a fundamental rule of the interwebz.

Pics or it didn't happen.

#222 Ozeo

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 78 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:01 PM

Once again, I ask when are we looking at for this?
It sounds fantastic.

#223 Russ Bullock

President

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 909 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:02 PM

View PostKaeb Odellas, on 10 September 2014 - 09:57 PM, said:

So Paul, when should we expect to see the next round of mech balance tweaks? A whole lot of mechs are still terrible underperformers, and this is will be a real issue in Community warfare if we're going to be limited to mechs available to our factions. Any chance we'll see some community-directed balance changes for some of the underperforming mechs?

Next step is a full quirk pass on all IS mechs - working hard on this now and should help greatly for under performers.

#224 BigZach

• PipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 69 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:03 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 10 September 2014 - 09:57 PM, said:

[color=#00FFFF]
Noesis, on 10 September 2014 - 06:58 PM, said:
[/color]
[color=#00FFFF]

If I joined an IS player unit and I also bought a Clan package under the impression I would be able to pilot them due to salvage rights, can I now ask for a refund of that package?
[/color]

There is nothing stopping you from playing all of your 'Mech in the public game space. Community Warfare is the only place where you will be Faction restricted. Community Warfare is meant to be the playground of Units who fight for their Factions.

I had a similar concern about this when the Clan packs went on sale...I wish this detail of Community Warfare had been made clear then that Merc groups would be restricted to IS-only tech.

But thank you for posting all this information and taking the time to answer questions and clarify some points :-)

#225 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:03 PM

Okay folks... sorry but I have to pass out.. it's hour 14 of working on MWO and day 4 of 12+ hours. I need to pass out or my answers are going to go reallly whacky. Again, Niko and the CSR teams will help me compile a list of your questions which will be better answered as 1 big question/answer post than this 1 by 1 approach.

Keep asking your questions, they will be addressed next CW update in 2 weeks time.

#226 Hoax415

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:04 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 10 September 2014 - 09:53 PM, said:

Don't think of the 'Mech Faction restriction being House Liao 'Mechs only or Clan Wolf only. The Faction split is strictly Inner Sphere vs Clan.

Wait what now? I thought we were on record from the townhall that each IS faction had its only list of available variants?

#227 Russ Bullock

President

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 909 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:05 PM

View PostBladeSplint, on 10 September 2014 - 10:00 PM, said:

This game mode sounds like EXACTLY what MWO needs. Limited respawn, asymmetric, multiple-objective based game modes. Way to ******* go, this is going to be amazing when it gets implemented. I look forward to seeing tournaments played this way too. I am considerably more excited for the future of this game than I was yesterday.

Thanks.

#228 Felio

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:06 PM

So to participate, you pretty much have to have 11 friends and play with them during peak times for your region.

If you do not have 11 friends to play with you during peak times, you still might get lucky enough to get picked up for defense, but you will never be able to attack.

If you do not play during peak times, you get nothing at all.

What a staggeringly colossal waste of resources.

#229 Russ Bullock

President

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 909 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:07 PM

View PostHoax415, on 10 September 2014 - 10:04 PM, said:

Wait what now? I thought we were on record from the townhall that each IS faction had its only list of available variants?

No. Let me know if I did blow it in the town hall, but I certainly meant IS and Clans - not down to the faction level.

#230 Rebas Kradd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,969 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:08 PM

View PostFelio, on 10 September 2014 - 10:06 PM, said:

So to participate, you pretty much have to have 11 friends and play with them during peak times for your region.

If you do not have 11 friends to play with you during peak times, you still might get lucky enough to get picked up for defense, but you will never be able to attack.

If you do not play during peak times, you get nothing at all.

What a staggeringly colossal waste of resources.

It will probably be hard to get any 12-mans during non-peak hours, even for NA groups.

#231 Asmudius Heng

• Survivor
  • 2,429 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:08 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 10 September 2014 - 10:03 PM, said:

Okay folks... sorry but I have to pass out.. it's hour 14 of working on MWO and day 4 of 12+ hours. I need to pass out or my answers are going to go reallly whacky. Again, Niko and the CSR teams will help me compile a list of your questions which will be better answered as 1 big question/answer post than this 1 by 1 approach.

Keep asking your questions, they will be addressed next CW update in 2 weeks time.

Thank you for the interaction - much better than previous communications, we appreciate it.

#232 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:09 PM

Actually this sounds about perfect. The point of CW is that it's mroe than random drops - it's groups, organized groups, following military objectives.

I'm 100% good with that and I say so as someone who's not in (and really won't be) in any orgs. It's a rock solid plan for what they're trying to do and it's not sacrificing depth of content for a casual appeal.

I'm very pleased with all that's been discussed -

Pics though please. We've had great conversations before you guys and it would really help to have pics. Like the pics of the MM 'command center' stuff even.

It would help a lot.

#233 BladeSplint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:10 PM

Have you guys considered doing a balance pass on the Clan XL engine first? I think that's one of the biggest troublemakers in terms of Clan/IS balance and it might help adjust the IS quirks if you got that out of the way.

#234 Kaeb Odellas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationKill the meat, save the metal

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:11 PM

View PostRuss Bullock, on 10 September 2014 - 10:02 PM, said:

Next step is a full quirk pass on all IS mechs - working hard on this now and should help greatly for under performers.

This could be an unpopular position here, but I would as that you please err on the side of excess. The mechs affected by the last round of quirks needed a big push, but the quirks they were given simply were not enough.

EDIT: I'm talking serious quirks here. Like a 10% speed boost and +10 RA armor for Centurions. Or +10 internals and +5 armor for all Hunchback torso sections on top of the stuff you already added. -15% cooldown for missiles and + 10 arm armor for Catapults. Dragon speed and CT durability buffs. An extra head crit for Awesomes for head-mounted LL action. 2 energy hardpoints on the PB's head for LASER HORNS. Free radar deprivation and lower heat sink minimums for Commandos and Locusts. That sort of thing

Edited by Kaeb Odellas, 10 September 2014 - 10:22 PM.

#235 Felio

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:12 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 10 September 2014 - 09:57 PM, said:

There is nothing stopping you from playing all of your 'Mech in the public game space. Community Warfare is the only place where you will be Faction restricted. Community Warfare is meant to be the playground of Units who fight for their Factions.

This doesn't pass the smell test.

I read this as: "You are totally free to not do this awesome thing we know you've been expecting for a long time. If you choose to dump all those mechs, it's your fault you gave us all that money for them. Cheers!"

#236 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

View PostRuss Bullock, on 10 September 2014 - 09:51 PM, said:

What I can guarantee is there will be no infinite re-spawns. We continue to discuss internally if a very limited re-spawn ability in the new game mode would be appropriate.

Honestly, I think limited respawns are OK and it fits in with the idea of "reinforcements arriving."

The thing about unlimited respawns is that it immediately throws tactics and judicious use of your assets out the window when you can die, rinse and repeat infinitely. That immediately makes it feel like a typical "video game" or FPS.

Give players a finite amount of resources (i.e. mechs) to complete the job and suddenly it comes back to the sensible tactical world of making sure you don't waste your only assets.

Simply have a drop response delay on respawns of maybe 1 minute, perhaps even push them out further on the map upon respawn so that it takes them longer to get back into the action.

HOWEVER, one caveat that should be considered...if only 12-man units can initiate attacks...you might want to make them handicapped by not allowing respawns. That is...the defender should always have the advantage...that would make capturing a planet that much more fulfilling and epic in my humble opinion.

Thanks again for all the AWESOME interaction tonight, Paul and Russ! :)

#237 TygerLily

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,150 posts

View PostHoax415, on 10 September 2014 - 09:17 PM, said:

What is public play? Inside community warfare mech choices are restricted. Outside of CW nothing changes. Both play modes will continue to exist. What is public play? Why are people so confused???

I literally quoted Paul and his words, not mine, were "public play." Read closely: http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__3709928

#238 Russ Bullock

President

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 909 posts

I am going to call it a night as well.

One last answer - people are asking when.

This Fall - which officially ends Dec 21st.

The difference this time? In the past we hoped to shift to CW when certain features we're completed.

This time we are working on this RIGHT NOW. All hands on deck.

As Paul said - an update in 2 week.

#239 slide

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,768 posts
  • LocationKersbrook South Australia

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:13 PM

Wow! Paul and Russ answering questions n a thread at the same time. Awesome communication guys.

I realise you can't do this 24/7 but the last week has been a serious improvement in communications.

Really hope to see more of this.

#240 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,595 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:13 PM

With the debut of the Vindicator, a well-known Liao faction mech; will we see other faction-iconic mechs in the future to make factions a bit more unique? What would be the point of representing House Steiner if there's no Zeus, or House Kurita if there is no Hatamoto-Chi or Mauler?

Edited by Will9761, 10 September 2014 - 10:24 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users