Petition To Delay Grasshopper Release Until Scaling Fix

268 replies to this topic

#1 LordBraxton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 05:53 AM

This is NOT a DOA thread. This is about scaling, as both a game balance, and aesthetic consistency issue. This is about quality control, not 'omg buff grasshopper.' We want proper scaling not quirk buffs. What the title says. Now we know the Grasshopper is VASTLY overscaled, perhaps the most egregious scaling error since the quickdraw came out. PGI refused to fix (or even admit) their mistakes, so our only hope is to catch their attention NOW. Let's try and get a long list of people supporting a grasshopper rescale, then link it to PGI over twitter so they actually read it. Posted Image thank you bucktrossPosted Image

Edited by LordBraxton, 15 March 2015 - 10:02 AM.

#2 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,952 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 March 2015 - 05:57 AM

How does it match up to the Quickdraw?

They're very similar mechs, with very similar jobs, I wonder if they based it off that scale.

#3 Tahribator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 06:01 AM

The Grasshopper is tall but to compensate for it, it's very skinny compared to similar heavies. Just like how the Spider is extremely survivable compared to a Kitfox which is shorter but very chubby. Plus it will get a ridiculous amount of extra armor from quirks. In MWO being tall but skinny is better than being short and wide (like the CTF).

The Grasshopper is going to be one of the most survivable IS heavies if PGI doesn't botch the hitboxes. No need to panic at all.

#4 PauloBR

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 127 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 06:01 AM

Using old "petitions" as base... won't happen.

Mr. Gargles is a nice example.

#5 kapusta11

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 06:02 AM

Dude, PGI don't even read their forums.

#6 LordBraxton

• The Formidable
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 06:08 AM

View PostPauloBR, on 15 March 2015 - 06:01 AM, said:

Using old "petitions" as base... won't happen.

Mr. Gargles is a nice example.

View Postkapusta11, on 15 March 2015 - 06:02 AM, said:

Dude, PGI don't even read their forums.
Sadly I know, but if we get a huge thread going we can link it on twitter, or we could just start a campaign on their twitter feed but, gotta get the grognards on the forums up in arms first

View PostMister D, on 15 March 2015 - 05:57 AM, said:

They're very similar mechs, with very similar jobs, I wonder if they based it off that scale.
well it dwarfs the assault mech it's being released with, and that front profile isn't actually skinny at all. his chest and shoulders are wide as hell, same as the Zeus essentiallyPosted Image

It's practically victor sized, an already overscaled 80 tonner

Edited by LordBraxton, 15 March 2015 - 06:09 AM.

#7 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 15 March 2015 - 06:08 AM

View PostMister D, on 15 March 2015 - 05:57 AM, said:

I deliver.

Grasshopper vs. Quickdraw. Bear in mind QD is also vastly overscaled for a 60 tonner.

Posted Image

Zeus vs. Quickdraw. LOLOLOLOLOL. Zeus is 20 tons heavier yet smaller in size. PGI, man...

Posted Image

Edited by El Bandito, 15 March 2015 - 06:10 AM.

#8 STEF_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 15 March 2015 - 06:10 AM

+1

forum, twitter, reddit, whatever.

But, let's bet it: will pgi fix, or won't.

:rolleyes:

#9 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 15 March 2015 - 06:10 AM

View PostTahribator, on 15 March 2015 - 06:01 AM, said:

The Grasshopper is tall but to compensate for it, it's very skinny compared to similar heavies. Just like how the Spider is extremely survivable compared to a Kitfox which is shorter but very chubby. Plus it will get a ridiculous amount of extra armor from quirks. In MWO being tall but skinny is better than being short and wide (like the CTF).

The Grasshopper is going to be one of the most survivable IS heavies if PGI doesn't botch the hitboxes. No need to panic at all.

This. Height isn't everything. Surface area counts for a lot.

#10 LordBraxton

• The Formidable
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 06:13 AM

I was excited for the hopper and not the zeus, and clearly those desires just inverted. I had high hopes for the hopper so this is just depressing. PGI has the most ridiculous cost vs quality control ratio I have ever seen, yet I still pony up to the only crack dealer in town. Maybe we customers are the true incompetents here, funding a dev team that doesn't even check scaling as they model their mechs.

View PostKiiyor, on 15 March 2015 - 06:10 AM, said:

it only looks skinny because it is one of the tallest mechs. It is still as wide across as the zeus. 70ton shadowhawk this mech is not. (unless 50% of the side torsos count as arms, which I doubt will happen) and even if the mech is competitive, I want it to LOOK correct, not like a freak.

Edited by LordBraxton, 15 March 2015 - 06:14 AM.

#11 Felbombling

• 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 15 March 2015 - 06:15 AM

Grasshopper is 70 tons, Quickdraw is 60 tons, El Bandito.... ten ton difference. As to the scaling, I'm hoping that PGI is thinking volume as well as height and width. That is the only way they get a pass from me, but it is very annoying to see the Mech scaling all over the place. I will admit that much. In my mind, the Mechs should have a natural progression in height, based on tonnage, unless we're talking special cases like the canted legs on a Cataphract. Can't compare a straight legged Mech to a bird walker and then complain, "But look at the height difference!"

Edited by StaggerCheck, 15 March 2015 - 06:28 AM.

#12 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 06:16 AM

View PostKiiyor, on 15 March 2015 - 06:10 AM, said:

The Hopper unfortunately has plenty of torso surface area from the front. That's where it counts. The hit-boxes will determine just how screwed the mech is.

View PostStaggerCheck, on 15 March 2015 - 06:15 AM, said:

Grasshopper is 70 tons, Quickdraw is 60 tons, El Bandito.... ten ton difference. As to the scaling, I'm hoping that PGI is thinking volume as well as height and width. That is the only way they get a pass from me, but it is very annoying to see the Mech scaling all over the place. I will admit that much. In my mind, the Mechs should have a natural progression in height, based on tonnage, unless we're talking special cases like the canted legs on a Cataphract. Can't compare a straight legged Mech to a bird walker and then complain, "But look at the height difference!"

1. Quickdraw is also over scaled.

2. Look into this thread and you will see that Grasshopper is as large as the Gargoyle, with Atlas level height.

http://mwomercs.com/...ize-comparison/

Edited by El Bandito, 15 March 2015 - 06:18 AM.

#13 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 06:22 AM

Here is Grasshopper compared to the Atlas--the largest mofo in game. Same height if you count the head.

Posted Image

Edited by El Bandito, 15 March 2015 - 06:22 AM.

#14 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

View PostEl Bandito, on 15 March 2015 - 06:08 AM, said:

I deliver.

Grasshopper vs. Quickdraw. Bear in mind QD is also vastly overscaled for a 60 tonner.

Posted Image

Zeus vs. Quickdraw. LOLOLOLOLOL. Zeus is 20 tons heavier yet smaller in size. PGI, man...

Posted Image

The Grasshopper has always been tall and the Zeus was... Robust not big.

#15 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

It's amazing that someone...sorry, many are saying that grasshopper is going to be good as it is.

Because, it's so clearly uber tall, and has uber shoulders, and its hardpoints are going to be looooow even though it is so tall!! (ecxept for that "silly" missile hardpoint... in a full energy mech).

The question is, instead: Why does a good heavy mech have to be screwed in this way?

#16 ChapeL

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 06:24 AM

Since we're on that subject... may I point out that the Nova is pretty much as wide and tall as a Cataphract (20 tons heavier) ?

#17 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 06:24 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 15 March 2015 - 06:22 AM, said:

The Grasshopper has always been tall and the Zeus was... Robust not big.

I am personally happy for Zeus owners as they drew the lucky draw on scaling.

But for the GHR to be as tall as Gargoyle and Atlas? Even you can see the error here. The Hopper has been overscaled.

How did this,

Posted Image

Became as large as this?

Posted Image

Edited by El Bandito, 15 March 2015 - 06:32 AM.

#18 LordBraxton

• The Formidable
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 06:27 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 15 March 2015 - 06:24 AM, said:

But for the GHR to be as tall as Gargoyle and Atlas? Even you can see the error here. The Hopper has been overscaled.

Im with you 100% Bandito, there is no defending the grasshopper scaling here. It is terrible. Also, IDK who said it, but the Zeus has often been depicted as a tall and slender mech as well. But, then again, so is the battlemaster, and Im glad the zeus doesn't look like him.

#19 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 15 March 2015 - 06:30 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 15 March 2015 - 06:08 AM, said:

I deliver.

Posted Image

Posted Image

and let's look at those Quickdraw' ST hardpoints: despite being so tall, the hopper is going to have st-hardpoint even lower than quickdraw's ones .....

#20 InRev

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,236 posts
  • LocationConnecticut, USA

Posted 15 March 2015 - 07:00 AM

Welp.

The Enforcer was pretty good so . . . 1 out of 4?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users