417 replies to this topic

#121 CeeKay Boques

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:27 PM

That logo is so Starcrafty. Cool though!

#122 wwiiogre

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationNorth Idaho

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:28 PM

I go back to the time it takes to bring up targeting info and guess that also means actual accuracy or a percentage of accuracy based on weapons and distance that will actually hit even tho your reticle is actually on target. Once again go back to two year old trailer and you will see that not every weapon hits even tho warhammer was locked on. This allows modules to have some say in accuracy as well as pilot tree and actual skill in how you pilot but does not make this a total twitch game but a game of managing heat, managing closing distance, managing target lock times (think nasty ecm skills of a raven hiding behind a building jamming your computers while his buddy the atlas is pounding you) and weapon spreads, etc. This gives me high hopes for the game being a wonderful hybrid of the table top, the sim and and something we have never seen before on a computer.
thanks

chris

#123 CeeKay Boques

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

View PostGarth Erlam, on 07 March 2012 - 12:24 PM, said:

Sorry you can't drink MWO Water, it's pin-point accurate and alpha strikes your thirst too hard.

Finally. A sig.

#124 Belial

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 359 posts
  • LocationOutreach

View PostLarry Headrick, on 07 March 2012 - 12:20 PM, said:

My inner child is jumping up and down in the back seat screaming. "Are we there yet?!?!"

My inner child was doing that too but eventually made its way into the driver's seat. Full speed ahead; I'm foaming at the mouth now!!

#125 Morgana

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 647 posts
  • LocationCleaning 10-year old dust out of Cockpit!

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:29 PM

Water is all that's needed to play turn-based........I'm sure we'll get better stuff, right Garth?

Looks like MWO water here:
Posted Image

Edited by Morgana, 07 March 2012 - 12:34 PM.

#126 LordKelvin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:30 PM

View PostKudzu, on 07 March 2012 - 12:19 PM, said:

Did you guys learn nothing from the previous MW titles? Pinpoint accuracy means this will be yet another braindead "alpha strike for the instant kill" game. Oh, you shutdown from heat? Doesn't matter, your target is dead and dead guys don't get to shoot back.

It won't be long before you see nothing but heavies and assaults (and even then it will be "which design has the best profile to loadout ratio") in every match. No thanks.

Well, as the saying goes, deal with it. Don't like it, feel free to not play it. But then again, most people who complain or whine about game end up playing it anyways.

Me, I'm just going to relax and wait for more actual details about how the aiming system works, instead of letting my blood pressure get high from how I perceive the game will work before the devs actually say anything on the matter.

#127 David Bradley

Game Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 41 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:32 PM

View PostKudzu, on 07 March 2012 - 11:33 AM, said:

Pinpoint accuracy... my interest is gone.

We will not have pinpoint accuracy but rather, as has been hinted and guessed at in other posts, a weapon convergence system. The explanation of the system just wasn't in the scope of this blog post.

But here's the brief rundown for you guys: Basically, your targeting systems are always trying to adjust the angle of your weapons so that they converge or focus at a distance of whatever your aiming reticles are pointing at. So, if you fire at a target very far away, your lasers (or whatever else) may fire nearly parallel to each other; firing at a target up close will angle the shots inwards. However, the adjustment of these angles is not instant.

For instance, if you were facing a building, while taking cover right up against it, your convergence would adjust to hit just a short distance in front of you (the distance to the building). When you step out from around that building and fire on an enemy in the distance, your convergence point would automatically begin to adjust, but not instantly. If you shoot too soon, your first shots may converge and cross a short distance in front of you and completely miss the enemy as they pass on either side of him. Or perhaps you were aiming for the center torso and hit his arms instead, as your aim adjusts towards his center.

#128 CeeKay Boques

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:37 PM

View PostDavid Bradley, on 07 March 2012 - 12:32 PM, said:

We will not have pinpoint accuracy but rather, as has been hinted and guessed at in other posts, a weapon convergence system. The explanation of the system just wasn't in the scope of this blog post.

But here's the brief rundown for you guys: Basically, your targeting systems are always trying to adjust the angle of your weapons so that they converge or focus at a distance of whatever your aiming reticles are pointing at. So, if you fire at a target very far away, your lasers (or whatever else) may fire nearly parallel to each other; firing at a target up close will angle the shots inwards. However, the adjustment of these angles is not instant.

For instance, if you were facing a building, while taking cover right up against it, your convergence would adjust to hit just a short distance in front of you (the distance to the building). When you step out from around that building and fire on an enemy in the distance, your convergence point would automatically begin to adjust, but not instantly. If you shoot too soon, your first shots may converge and cross a short distance in front of you and completely miss the enemy as they pass on either side of him. Or perhaps you were aiming for the center torso and hit his arms instead, as your aim adjusts towards his center.

You mean as though the gimbals were moving the..the... weap... Give us a kiss!! Don't run! C'mere!

#129 Media

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:37 PM

"MechWarrior Online is more simulation than arcade"

As soon as I read those words nearly every concern I had about the game evaporated. And the information contained in the article confirmed it completely:

You're doing it right.

Thank you.

#130 Nik Van Rhijn

• 2,905 posts
  • LocationLost

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:40 PM

Thanks for the clarification David :P

#131 Ghost

Com Guard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:41 PM

View PostAlex Iglesias, on 07 March 2012 - 12:26 PM, said:

mwo water sounds like vodka

i'm down for that

Aha, looks like someone got set up with an official account. :V

#132 Midgie

Swaybacked

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 192 posts
  • LocationThe unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy.

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:42 PM

Dev beat me to it. Thanks David.

I just didn't want to see MWO devolve into long range pop-tarting like MW4. It looks like it won't. :P

Edited by Midgie, 07 March 2012 - 12:46 PM.

#133 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:43 PM

Lots of good news!

I'm still not clear on how Jump Jet controls will work, though, and I don't see the JJ bar in the HUD displayed in this devlog - I'm assuming this 'mech doesn't have any?

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 07 March 2012 - 11:03 AM, said:

With the exception of lasers and PPCs, all weapons require ammunition. Ammunition takes up weight and space on a BattleMech chassis and cannot exceed the chassis limits.

This list should also include Flamers, right?

After a few more seconds pass with the ’Mech being targeted, the third level of information is revealed. This adds the overall health of the enemy ’Mech, shown as a percentage, along with the other information.

Finally, after a few more seconds, the final level of information is displayed. This adds a callout to the HUD showing a detailed damage breakdown of the enemy ’Mech, similar to the player’s own health readout. In the callout, each section of the enemy ’Mech is colored to represent the damage state of its armour and its internal structure. Alongside the damage breakdown is a list of the enemy ’Mech’s weapons and their locations. These are also colored to show the damage they have taken.

Are these abilities dependent on Scout role skills and modules, or are they available to everyone, regardless of skills and modules? The Role Warfare devlog suggested these were dependent on Scout role abilities.

In addition to the targeting information system, the player can establish missile locks on enemy ’Mechs, if his own ’Mech is equipped with any guided missile systems. The player establishes a missile lock by pointing his reticle at an enemy ’Mech for the required time to lock. The missile lock will last until the player’s reticle leaves the enemy ’Mech for too long. Any homing capable missiles fired while a lock has been established, will home in on the targeted enemy.

Please PLEASE tell me we aren't going to be stuck with crappy unguided SRMs in this game! I want the limited-guidance versions from MW3, not more crappy dumb-fire rockets... :D :P

#134 Hartsblade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 772 posts

i'm down for that

Hey FD, you got your Staff rating!! Congrats!!

#135 verybad

• 4,229 posts

I'm still hoping that they show us the variable ringtones you can send while DFA-ing enemies

#136 Nakir

Com Guard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationItaly (Sicily)

Many good information for our happiness :P !!!

#137 Belial

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 359 posts
  • LocationOutreach

View PostDavid Bradley, on 07 March 2012 - 12:32 PM, said:

Thanks for the clarification. Perhaps you should have let him stew another week till Part 2 came up. :P

#138 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:44 PM

i'm down for that

Drink something with taste, like Barwell Whiskey (Generic), it'll grow hair on your palms.

#139 GaussDragon

• 2,183 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:45 PM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 07 March 2012 - 12:24 PM, said:

Sorry you can't drink MWO Water, it's pin-point accurate and alpha strikes your thirst too hard.

Garth... will you be my Valentine?

#140 LordKelvin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:46 PM

View PostSolis Obscuri, on 07 March 2012 - 12:43 PM, said:

This list should also include Flamers, right?

I would assume not. If you're going to be realistic, flamethrowers do require fuel. And in fact, this may well be a balancing decision on the part of the team, which may in turn mean that Flamers will be more powerful in this game than in previous iterations.

But that's all speculation on my part.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users