Unlocking Master Tree

55 replies to this topic

#1 Seraphic Law

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 136 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:30 AM

So is it correct that you need to purchase three mechs, then unlock all basic trees on each mech, then unlock all elite trees on each mech, then you can unlock the master tree your one primary mech?

#2 Leetskeet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:32 AM

yes

#3 Cole Allard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 738 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:32 AM

uhm...exactly...

#4 Seraphic Law

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 136 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:34 AM

I see... That is a lot of GXP! :ph34r:

#5 OpCentar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:37 AM

Not General XP but Mech XP. GXP is used for the Pilot tree, MXP is for the Mech tree.

Also don't sell your variants too soon because you need to own each variant you want to unlock proficiencies on.

I made that mistake on my C4 Cat and that cost me 5 million C-Bills!

#6 Mayhem McCrea

• PipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 56 posts
  • LocationA Hrothgar Dropship, exact coordinates unavailable

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:38 AM

Er. No. That's a lot of mech xp, which is seperate from GXP. Gxp is used to purchase module skills, like the 4x zoom module.

Edit: Oh, hey, beat me to it.

Edited by Mayhem McCrea, 12 November 2012 - 05:38 AM.

#7 OnLashoc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,093 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationColumbus, OH

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:39 AM

I'll go one step closer, once you've unlocked the Elite levels for all three mechs, can you sell the two you are not using and THEN unlock the Master level?

I.E.- Grinded and unlocked all the Elite skills in all three variants. Now that I no longer will be using 2 of the 3, can I sell the other two variants while still grinding out the 21,500 XP for the Master skill?

Or do I have to maintain possession of ALL 3 variants until I unlock the master skill for the one I will continue to use?

#8 Twuggy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 108 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:40 AM

i almost got to master in beta.
but as far as i know. but i only used Mech XP.
its easy enough to get all the XP needed.

but yes, 3 mechs needed

#9 cmopatrick

• 1,026 posts
  • Locationa 45 tonner on patrol...

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:42 AM

if i may add, be careful when you are picking up mech tree modules not to waste your GXP on mech tree. you will build enough mech xp fairly quickly, but GXP takes a lot of time and i can tell you from experience that when you realize that you just wasted a chance to get a pilot module on something you could have had in a few more drops... well... i think you get the picture. yes, you can convert xp to GXP, but that costs real money...

on the master question, i am just short of master in a RVN-3L (so i am not sure in OB), but in closed you could get the master with just one if that was all you wanted it on (i sure hope so, i already dumped the 2x and 4x).

Edited by cmopatrick, 12 November 2012 - 05:45 AM.

#10 OpCentar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:46 AM

View PostOnLashoc, on 12 November 2012 - 05:39 AM, said:

I'll go one step closer, once you've unlocked the Elite levels for all three mechs, can you sell the two you are not using and THEN unlock the Master level?

Only for the owned variant. Master level cannot be unlocked on the other two sold mechs.

I.E.- Grinded and unlocked all the Elite skills in all three variants. Now that I no longer will be using 2 of the 3, can I sell the other two variants while still grinding out the 21,500 XP for the Master skill?

Yes, but again only for the one you actually have in your mech bay.

Or do I have to maintain possession of ALL 3 variants until I unlock the master skill for the one I will continue to use?

No, as it is the last proficiency level it is unlocked per variant. Same as basic level.

#11 OnLashoc

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,093 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationColumbus, OH

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:52 AM

K as long as I can unlock the master for the one owned, then I am happy :ph34r:

#12 Seraphic Law

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 136 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:53 AM

View PostOpCentar, on 12 November 2012 - 05:37 AM, said:

Not General XP but Mech XP. GXP is used for the Pilot tree, MXP is for the Mech tree.

Also don't sell your variants too soon because you need to own each variant you want to unlock proficiencies on.

I made that mistake on my C4 Cat and that cost me 5 million C-Bills!

Where is your Mech XP listed?
All I see is GXP.

Edited by Seraphic Law, 12 November 2012 - 05:56 AM.

#13 Spencley

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 101 posts

Basic Skill Tree

This skill tree is unlocked by default and has no limitations.

Elite Skill Tree

This skill tree requires you to have completed the Basic Skill Tree on 3 variants of the same mech. For example. The Raven 3L, 2K and 4X. Once you have completed one the mech is no longer needed unless you want to progress to the Master Tree!
Unlocking Elite Skill trees also Doubles the Proficiency on the Basic Skill tree.

Master Skill Tree

This skill tree requires you to have completed 3 Elite trees on mechs within the same weight class. For example Any model of the Raven + any Commando and any Jenner. You can how ever mix and match as you like so you could do with 3 different variations of the Raven.

The best way to do this is to use the mechs you used to unlock the elite skills. This means you keep 3 of the same mech variations until you unlock the master skill tree.
Despite it saying on each of the Elite Skill tabs "Proficiency Doubled" It does not actually double. You simply unlock an additional module slot atm. Any mech XP earned after this point is effectively waste at the current time. Unless you pay to convert it to General XP

#14 River McCain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  • LocationTropical Paradise

At all levels you only need to own the chassis long enough to buy the skill, once the skill has been "unlocked" it stays unlocked, and you can sell the unused chassis. The wierd part is if you select a chassis that you do not own, but you have unlocked, the skill looks like it is not unlocked.

The better way to know what you have unlocked is to look at the Variant Owned Number, if it shows any number/8 it is still Basic if it shows any number/4 is is Elite if it shows any number/1 it is Master, and of course the words Basic, Elite, and Master next to the chassis variant is also a good indicator. :ph34r:

MXP can be converted to GXP with MC and used for any Mech Variant that you own, you are not forced to actually pilot all the variant in order to unlock them, but if you want this convenience you have to pay for it.

Edited by River McCain, 12 November 2012 - 05:59 AM.

#15 cmopatrick

• 1,026 posts
  • Locationa 45 tonner on patrol...

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:03 AM

View PostSpencley, on 12 November 2012 - 05:53 AM, said:

Master Skill Tree
This skill tree requires you to have completed 3 Elite trees on mechs within the same weight class. For example Any model of the Raven + any Commando and any Jenner. You can how ever mix and match as you like so you could do with 3 different variations of the Raven.

i did not know this (that it does not require all three of the same chassis to move on to master). thanks.

Edited by cmopatrick, 12 November 2012 - 06:04 AM.

#16 Xeven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:07 AM

Sell nothing and Master all. You never know one day they may make a Grand Master Level requiring say 3 Master of 3 Assault Chasis to Open Grand Master Assault Efficeincies. Unless you HAVE to sell something in MWO your often better off keeping it. Wont it suck if they do this to unlock say a Clan Assault chasis and you sold all your extra Assault variants without mastering them all.

Edited by Xeven, 12 November 2012 - 06:09 AM.

#17 OpCentar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:13 AM

View PostSeraphic Law, on 12 November 2012 - 05:53 AM, said:

I can't remember the exact name but it's on the right part of the screen, under the mech chassis variant in it's respectable class.

IE, you would click research, then H for Heavy class, then Catapult and there you would see your accumulated MXP for each of the Catapult variants.

General XP, GXP is listed at the bottom of the screen, and it's accumulated very slowly.

Somebody should post a screenshot of it as I don't have access to the game client right now.

#18 Penance

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:25 AM

All I see is GXP.

When you go to the pilot tab, the chassis are listed on the right side of the screen. Let's say for example you own an ATLAS K. You open the assault chassis, open the atlas chassis, then you'll see where the atlas k is listed, and the unlocks you purchases, your mech XP will be there. IF you also select a chassis, you'll see your mech XP right at the top of the screen.

#19 Grayzzur

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 101 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:29 AM

All I see is GXP.

Go into the Pilot Lab (tab/button next to MechLab at the top of the screen).

On the right side you will see Mech Categories with buttons for Light, Medium, Heavy, Assault. Click on one (say Light), and you'll see the chassis types listed (Raven, Jenner, Commando) along with how many you own (0/3, 2/4, whatever). Click on a Mech chassis (say Jenner).

Now it will open up and show all three Jenner variants (D, F, K). it will show how many of which skils you've unlocked for each variant, and how much Mech XP you have on each variant. Click on one of the variants to access the skill tree.

When you click on a skill, a description pops up along with the option to buy it.

PAY ATTENTION TO THE BUTTONS. You may also purchase these skills with GXP, but it is not recommended. If you do not have enouch Mech XP, but you do have enough GXP, then only the GXP button for purchase will appear, and it's easy to accidentally spend your precious GXP on the wrong thing. Make sure you use the "Use Mech XP" button and NOT the "Use General XP" button.

Near the top, under the Pilot Lab tab, you'll see a Pilot Trees tab. Click there. There is where you must use GXP to purchase skills for advanced zoom, targetting upgrades, capture modules, etc.

#20 ferranis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 473 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:30 AM

I always wonderd, if i unlock master level, do the elite skills get doubled like the basic?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users