Mechcommander Interface For Cw...

9 replies to this topic

#1 Brandarr Gunnarson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 847 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 02:35 AM

I have a radical and awesome suggestion (at least to my mind) to help tactics in CW and MWO, in general.

I suggest adding a MechCommander player to each team. Think of the MechCommander games' interface and then overlay that on top of MWO that we have now. It would be like having 2 games in 1.

As for gameplay, the MechCommander could control those assets that no player wants to directly play: tanks, missile launchers, helicopters, even powered infantry. They could have limited control over the Dropship, too; something like they can decide the spot where the Dropship would "stop and drop" 'Mechs.

For this last part, to balance, they could be limited to dropping in zones that are not "hot" and maybe make the Dropships damageable and destructible (meaning that in current Invasion Mode each team get 3 Dropships, 1 per lance; and if 1 dies, that's it, you don't get another).

They could get their own artillery, airstrikes and UAVs and in future mode, even Mobile Repair Units or bigger Dropship (in the future).

But all this is just extra and to make sure they have some toys to play with if no one listens. The primary purpose is that they automatically have Company Command and can issue orders to coordinate the team and have a more detailed RTS style command interface.

I think this would add another dimension to the game, improve teamwork and relieve the burden of the Mechwarriors on the ground from taking the lead and/or discussing ad nauseam. They could still take Lance command of course and could take company command in games without a MechCommander.

Anyway, that's my idea!

#2 Sigmar Sich

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationUkraine, Kyiv

Posted 19 December 2014 - 08:06 AM

Actually, it is good idea.
Though IMO, it have more potential as separate client, for tablet computers (with easy graphics, some simple 3D isometric). But PC-compatible, of course. And it participate in real MWO matches (it just reads information it needs from server, with no fancy calculations or graphics)
This can bring MWO on a new market, and increase game's prevalence. And PC-users still can play it home, or lets say on old office computers at work..
You can notice, some recent games trying to provide some auxiliary use for tablets, even sort of co-op. And there was a game.. Natural Selection, if i remember correctly, that combines shooter for a team and sort of strategy game for commander.
P.S. I dont have tablet and dont like their games. Just suggesting what seems to have commercial benefit..

#3 SICk Nick

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 181 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 11:00 AM

I like it.
This actually goes well with my "CW change objective" post.
That post is all about changing the objective to be the battle itself and destroying all defenders rather than just blowing a few generators. There would be several objectives that deny/allow abilities for either side (blow the orbital gun and now dropships can strafe during drops, blow the comms array and defenders can't call in air strikes ect ect..)

So many options. Soooo many...

#4 Harathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 970 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 19 December 2014 - 12:00 PM

It's been suggested many times before, even for the non-CW gameplay modes, especially for Private Matches.

I'd love it. Some people would hate it. I think the majority would like to see it tested, at least.

#5 Smoked

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 319 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 12:17 PM

This view mode should be based on what the live players can actually see and maybe only for ghosts to keep it fair.

#6 Harathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 970 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 19 December 2014 - 12:54 PM

Live players and UAVs. Imagine the utility for UAVs if they provided LOS for the Commander?

#7 F4T 4L

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 01:13 PM

View PostBrandarr Gunnarson, on 19 December 2014 - 02:35 AM, said:

I have a radical and awesome suggestion (at least to my mind) to help tactics in CW and MWO, in general.

I suggest adding a MechCommander player to each team. Think of the MechCommander games' interface and then overlay that on top of MWO that we have now. It would be like having 2 games in 1.

As for gameplay, the MechCommander could control those assets that no player wants to directly play: tanks, missile launchers, helicopters, even powered infantry. They could have limited control over the Dropship, too; something like they can decide the spot where the Dropship would "stop and drop" 'Mechs.

For this last part, to balance, they could be limited to dropping in zones that are not "hot" and maybe make the Dropships damageable and destructible (meaning that in current Invasion Mode each team get 3 Dropships, 1 per lance; and if 1 dies, that's it, you don't get another).

They could get their own artillery, airstrikes and UAVs and in future mode, even Mobile Repair Units or bigger Dropship (in the future).

But all this is just extra and to make sure they have some toys to play with if no one listens. The primary purpose is that they automatically have Company Command and can issue orders to coordinate the team and have a more detailed RTS style command interface.

I think this would add another dimension to the game, improve teamwork and relieve the burden of the Mechwarriors on the ground from taking the lead and/or discussing ad nauseam. They could still take Lance command of course and could take company command in games without a MechCommander.

Anyway, that's my idea!

I hate this idea. There's no down vote button, so I'm forced to say so.

#8 Brandarr Gunnarson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 847 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 07:20 PM

Thanks for the feedback and support, guys! F4T4L, sorry you didn't like it.

@Harathan:

Didn't know it'd been suggested before, but I'm glad others echo this idea! I also intended that this could be used in any game mode, not only Invasion.

@Harathan and Smoked:

I also was thinking that LoS from units should be what the Commander sees. My thoughts included radar pings from anything with radar ('Mechs, UAVs, special helicopters) and visual only for LoS only (no radar tanks and helicopters and player LoS for ECM covered 'Mechs). All units in the field contribute to the Commander's operational awareness, but not equally.

For example: If a player has a 'Mech with BAP, any enemies they detect show up on the Commander's interface both visually and with radar signature. Additionally, any enemy that player can see via LoS also shows up visually within the Commander's interface, but has no radar signature.

This function would work the same for non-player units, according to whether they have radar suites or not.

Not sure about ghosts contributing, I think live units only would be best.

@Sigmar Sich:

Definitely use a separate client for this! Graphics could be less intense, but if it is possible, maybe using the same graphics engine could be more financially efficient. Do something like "Supreme Commander" did with the interface so they could zoom in and out and fly around the battlefield.

But I really like the idea of a tablet/PC friendly interface. Opening up additional markets is great! The more markets the better!

@SICk Nick:

Could you add a link to your thread?

Finally, I noted some other threads calling for Dropship ownership. I think that would fit seamlessly with this idea, should it ever be implemented, with the Commander owning the Dropship rather than the MechWarrior. This would again reinforce the alternative experience!

As a note: It struck me that callin this "MechCommander" in any iteration may cause IP concerns. So I came up with an alternative title: MWO: Tactical Command.

#9 SICk Nick

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 181 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 08:11 AM

here's the link:
http://mwomercs.com/...54#entry4022654

I wrote this while on my phone at a meeting at work...lol...so I'ts not very detailed, but it gives enough ideas for the imagination to build upon.

I think these options allow several strategies to be used for the win, multiple options on how to proceed.

#10 Firewuff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,204 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 20 December 2014 - 10:29 PM

Its been suggested before and sounds nice but it is essentially building a new game. There are balance issues and rewards for that player becomes problematic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users