#1 Thomas Hogarth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 463 posts
  • LocationTharkad

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:22 PM

Howdy everyone, just a quick heads-up before we get started:
This thread is certainly not the place for the well hashed-out joystick vs mouse+keyboard debate. This thread is intended only to educate individuals interested in joysticks, and promote healthy conversations about joysticks and HOTAS systems(hell, why not. let's throw other simulation peripherals in the mix too).

Still here? Cool.

Now, if you're curious as to what a joystick is, what it's advantages are, what the difference between a normal joystick and HOTAS is, or if you're interested in learning about the various features offered, click the spoiler below. Otherwise, feel free to move on.

Spoiler

If you're not entirely sure how joystick internals work, and want to know more, feel free to click the spoiler below.

Spoiler

Mechwarrior and other 'Mech games have always been the other hotbed for simulation fans. Until recently, those that have wanted a more immersive experience in Mechwarrior have been limited to using peripherals developed for flight sims - and that is usually quite alright. I've found that the majority of Mechwarrior fans tend to use whatever joystick catches their eye at the store. Again, usually quite alright. But there is a whole world of joysticks and HOTAS control solutions out there, all stress tested and thoroughly argued over by the flight sim community for us to choose from. Below is a list of some of the more common joysticks. This list is not intended to be complete, but if there is a joystick or peripheral that you think ought to be included, feel free to let me know.

LOGITECH
Posted Image
I love Logitech. I like their keyboards and I love their mice. But their joysticks and I do not get along. Not for the lack of trying, mind you. I've owned 3 Logitech joysticks, and found some positive qualities as well as negative qualities. They are all very ergonomic, and they all seem to have issues with their potentiometers. There seems to be a disturbingly high failure rate with the pots. If you get one that has no issues, hold onto it and never let it go. I don't have any experience with their warranty department as it is usually less expensive to simply buy a new stick than it is to send a Logitech stick in to get serviced.
Still, some people swear by their Logitechs on account of their positive attributes, and I can totally understand that. Here's their current lineup:

Attack 3:
Posted Image
~$15

Cheap!
Smooth movement when not centered.
Lefty-friendly.
-
No twist.
Questionable pots.
Button slop.
Lots of stick slop.
Inconvenient throttle.
Obtrusive center detent.

Description:
Spoiler

Extreme 3D Pro:
Posted Image
~$25

Cheap for what you get.
Amazing ergonomics.
Sensible button location.
Twist stick.
-
Questionable pots.
Button slop.
Lots of stick slop.
Obtrusive center detent.

Description:
Spoiler

G940:
Posted Image
~$270

Competitively priced.
Force Feedback
Stick+Rudder+Throttle all in one package.
Sum of features unmatched by other offerings.
Reliable Hall sensors in the X and Y axis of stick.
-
Questionable Logitech potentiometers in rudder and throttle.
Some reported issues with force feedback centering.
Not a twist stick(but it comes with a set of rudder pedals, so...)

Description:
Spoiler

SAITEK
Posted Image

Saitek has been around awhile, but they really made waves with the Cyborg 3D, released almost - what - 15 years ago? I loved the hell out of that joystick, back when USB was new. Metal where it needed to be, and incredibly customizable. There was an allen wrench built right into the thing. Pop it out, and you could move the handrest up and down, adjust the side-to-side tilt of the thumb controls... Hell, all sorts of crazy stuff. Saitek made a big impression on me and other flight simmers of the day with that product. It proved that value-priced joysticks could be pretty competitive with more expensive sticks. The major downside of the Cyborg was its spring-and-plate centering system. This resulted in a huge center detent that made center-area accuracy abysmal.
The years have not been kind to Saitek. In the years following the Cyborg, quality and frequency of great design choices seemed to slowly drop. The developments of the Cyborg didn't seem to improve anything. Anyone remember the Cyborg Gold? Everything you loved about the Cyborg 3D, now with a harder-to-clean finish! Their X-series of HOTAS systems were always just short on execution. Eventually, Saitek was bought out by Mad Catz, a company with a less-than-stellar reputation in the gamepad market. Given the relatively increased complexity of joysticks and HOTAS systems, it is perhaps not surprising that quality decreased further.
Despite all of this, Saitek/Mad Catz has managed to release one of the better HOTAS solutions on the market - the X52 Pro. Saitek-branded yokes, pedals, and even throttle quadrants are hitting the market to decent reviews, so there is still hope for this company and it's products.

Aviator:
Posted Image
~$35

Unique visual appeal.
Twist stick.
Dual-quadrant throttle.
Throw force off-center isn't as bad as it could be.
-
Spring-and-plate centering woes.
What ergonomics?
Poor build quality.
Button slop.

Description:
Spoiler

F.L.Y 5:
Posted Image
~$40

Very adjustable.
Pretty neat looking.
Very intelligent throttle location.
Dual quadrant throttle.
Twist stick.
-
Spring-and-plate centering woes?
Potentially some build quality issues?
Potentially some button slop?

Description:
Spoiler

X45:
Posted Image
~$65

Great throttle.
Lots of buttons.
Low price compared to other options.
-
No twist.
Worst application of spring-and-plate centering yet.
Almost unusable rudder location.
Poor build quality
Poor ergonomics
Potential issues with potentiometer spiking.
Expensive for what it is.

Description:
Spoiler

X52:
Posted Image
~$85

Great throttle.
Twist stick.
Good price.
-
MFD has questionable usefulness.
Center detent better than X45, but still not up to par for the price point.
Poor build quality.

Description:
Spoiler

X52 Pro:
Posted Image
~$140

Great throttle.
Best application of spring-and-plate centering so far.
Twist stick.
Decent build quality
Decent price.
Hall sensors
-
Spring-and-plate centering may still result in a center detent that some Mechwarriors find unacceptable.
Twist stick.
MFD still of questionable value.

Description:
Spoiler

X-65F:
Posted Image
~$330

Very cool looking.
Mounting brackets on the throttle for multifunction panels.
Smooth inputs.
Metal construction.
Force sensing better suited for tight play areas.
-
Poor build quality.
Creaky metal.
Button slop.
Slide-happy.
Very expensive for what you get.

Description:
Spoiler

THRUSTMASTER
Posted Image
Oh boy, Thrustmaster. The flight sim community seems to have a love/hate relationship with these folks, although in recent years they have really stepped up their products. In the early 2000s, they came out with the Cougar HOTAS. The Cougar was THE HOTAS to get. Oh sure, they had some earlier sticks, but the Cougar is what really brought it home for TM. Then the troubles started: It became apparent that the ultra-high-end Cougar was shipped with very low quality potentiometers. These had a nasty tendency to fail early, and this left a bad taste in the mouths of many simmers.
Thrustmaster has been trying to improve its image and products in recent years, and by all accounts their new products are just fine. Fair warning however: I've heard horror stories about their customer service and warranty departments. For example, users of the Warthog with issues are instructed to make a video showing the problem before customer service will even deal with them. What? $500 for a stick and you have to make a video of a problem? Some might call this a palatable step in smoothing out the returns process, but I think it's an unnecessary and insulting step. Still, their recent products have been sporting very accurate Hall sensors, so they are not to be overlooked at all.
One overriding caution about all of these reviews: I haven't even touched any of them save for the Cougar(which I wish I didn't touch). These reviews are going to be based on observations of their design and the word of others.

T.Flight Stick X:
Posted Image
~$30

Cheap!
Ergonomic?
Loads-o-buttons.
Twisty stick.
Apparently has the ability to loosen or tighten the throw strength.
-
Possibly has stick slop.
Possibly has button slop.
Possibly has a large center detent and stiff spring.
Definitely not for lefties.

Description:
Spoiler

T.Flight Hotas X:
Posted Image
~$50

Cheap!
Ergonomic?
Loads-o-buttons.
Twisty stick.
Apparently has the ability to loosen or tighten the throw strength.
Throttle thrown in for good measure.
-
Possibly has stick slop.
Possibly has button slop.
Possibly has a large center detent and stiff spring.
Definitely not for lefties.

Description:
Spoiler

T.16000M:
Posted Image
~$50

Twist stick.
Hall sensors.
Easily the most accurate stick in this price bracket.
Lefty-friendly.

Description:
Spoiler

Hotas Cougar:
Posted Image
~$250-200

Full metal construction.
Huge modding potential.
Excellent construction.
-
Very poor potentiometers.
Must invest large sums of cash to produce the best possible Cougar.
Must at least invest in a Hall-Effect sensor mod to make the Cougar something resembling reliable.

Description
Spoiler

HOTAS WARTHOG:
Posted Image
~$430

Full metal construction.
Very accurate hall-effect sensors.
Awesome build quality.
More buttons than you can shake a stick at.
No twist.
-
Pricey.
Does not include pedals.
Potentially stiff throws.

Description:
Spoiler

CH PRODUCTS
Posted Image
CH Products has been around for a long time, and enjoys one of the best reputations in the field of flight sim controller manufacturers. Users of CH sticks have been known to boast at length about how long their joysticks have lasted. CH isn't purely a game controller company like Razer, but also makes industrial-grade controllers for a wide variety of tough applications. It certainly seems like much of that experience is applied to their flight sim lines, as evidenced by their excellent build quality and reliability.
That isn't to say that CH is without its faults. Their standard warranty is a decent two-year limited. Limited in that if you run over it with a truck, it's probably not covered. But this also includes opening the device up. Don't worry, you'll know the exact moment you do that as screws essential to disassembly are covered with "warranty void if broken" stickers. This is standard practice, but it still bothers me since internal cleaning should be a fundamental part of joystick maintenance. Also, the warranty does not extent to second owners, so beware. If you purchase a CH stick used, you're on your own. Finally, some might describe the CH lineup as a bit stale. Excellent sticks, yes, but we still haven't seen a move over to the extremely accurate and maintenance-free Hall sensors. The potentiometers are of the highest quality, so this is negated to some degree. On another note, we still haven't seen an all-metal HOTAS solution from CH.
Should any of this stop you from buying CH? I would say no. Personal opinion warning: CH controllers are the best I've used yet. Their dual-drum gimbal system produces very light throws and accurate travel. The buttons on every CH stick I've ever handled had next to no slop. And for the price point, it's hard to do better.

Flightstick Pro:
Posted Image
~$67

Accurate.
Light throws.
Amazing build quality.
Reliable.
No twist.
-
Dual-drum setup tends to produce travel 'quadrants'.
For $7 more you can get the Combatstick.
Need to purchase pedals to get the full experience.

Description:
Spoiler

Combatstick:
Posted Image
~$74

Accurate.
Light throws.
Great number of functions.
Amazing build quality.
Reliable.
No twist.
-

Description:
Spoiler

Fighterstick:
Posted Image
~$95

Accurate.
Light throws.
Great number of functions.
Amazing build quality.
Reliable.
No twist.
-

Description:
Spoiler

RAZER
Posted Image
Razer has been around for a few years now making devices aimed specifically at gamers. Some question their sophomoric marketing with wizz-bang visuals, but I've had good results from using their equipment. I rather like their hard mouse pads, and enjoy their mice. I'd like their mice a lot more if they had a freewheel scroll like my Logitech G9, but there you go. Now, I never heard so much as a peep that they would be developing any sort of joystick in the future, nor did I have any reason to suspect that they would. Many of their products are rightfully aimed at the FPS crowd. That was all shattered with the Artemis announcement. No matter what you may think of Razer, they should be credited with developing the first commercial peripheral aimed directly at satisfying Mechwarriors.

Artemis:
Posted Image
~$???? (unknown as of this writing)

Description:
Spoiler

RIPLEIGH
Posted Image
This is a neat start-up company out of China. I know next to nothing about them except that they're developing the HAWKEN controller. That shows a good amount of thinking outside of the box, and I applaud them for it.

Mek-Fu HAWKEN Controller
Posted Image
~$???? (unknown as of this writing)

Description:
Spoiler

A WORD ON RUDDER PEDALS:
Spoiler

WHAT ABOUT THROTTLES?
Spoiler

(should I put the pedals and throttles up there with the joysticks?)

With all of that out of the way, you might be looking at your budget and wondering what you can manage. Well, here are my selections for best sticks at given price points:

$30 and under: Nothing really good here. You’re basically limited to the Thrustmaster T.Flight Stick X and the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro. The Thrustmaster is probably more reliable, but the Logitech has excellent ergonomics and somehow probably has better center performance. Reliability alone makes this a choice of compromise, so it goes to the…
Thrustmaster T.Flight Stick X

$31-$50: Many more options. Really though, only one has hall sensors and is known for being an accurate stick.
Thrustmaster T.16000M

$51-$75: Easy choice here. I’ll handle my ‘Mech turning with a keyboard before I deal with poor applications of spring-and-plate centering. Factor in reliability and excellent software…
CH Products Combatstick

$76-$100: Same justifications as above.
CH Products Fighterstick

$101-$150: Lots of options here, but only one real contender. As much as I hate spring-and-plate, this HOTAS dominates this price bracket thanks to its rare high quality application of spring-and-plate.
Saitek X52 Pro

$151-$500: One brand cleans up this whole price bracket. Sure, other systems might have more features here and there, but none match the reliability and accuracy.
CH Products Fighterstick(With pedals and throttle added as price point increases).

$Loads of money: CH had a good run, but Thrustmaster brutally beats them down in the high-end market.
Thrustmaster Warthog with Simped F-16 pedals.

Once this thread has settled, I’ll see if there are any more sticks I need to add to consideration. Once that has happened, I might just open up a poll to see what YOUR choices are at each price point. I’m thinking winning sticks will get “Readers Choice” tags.

So there you have it: My reviews. If you'd like to see your point of view reflected here, post a reply with your review(and maybe PM me to let me know). If I receive enough reviews on a given product, I'll take those into account and write something up. This goes for both products that already are on the list, and anything you think SHOULD be on the list.

Edited by Thomas Hogarth, 11 June 2012 - 06:59 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users