I Have A Razer Megalodon, Any Tips On Setting It Up Properly For This Game?

6 replies to this topic

#1 Viper Lombardi

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:57 AM

Hello, everyone. As the title says, I recently obtained a Razer Megalodon, but I'm not sure if I'm setting it up correctly to play 7.1 surround sound for this game. This is my first surround sound headset, so I'm inexperienced in understanding how 7.1 surround sound is "supposed" to sound like, but my instinct tells me that the game doesn't quite sound right in 7.1 yet.

Does anyone (especially those with the same headset) have advice on how I can configure my headset to give me an optimal surround sound experience in this game? If it helps, my OS is Windows 7 62-bit. I have heard about people having issues with this headset on Windows 7, but I believe I have been able to avoid having those same issues, and therefore am inclined to think it bears no relevance to the issue I am having.

#2 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:44 AM

The game does not have much in the way of its own sound settings, and appears to just use the OS settings. After making sure the software supplied by Razer is treating the headset as a surround set (and not set to stereo, or whatever), simply go into the Sound menu in the control panel, right click the headset, click Configure, and set it to 7.1. Once the OS recognizes it as 7.1

Nothing more was required for my Corsair Vengeance 1500

Edited by Catamount, 02 March 2013 - 06:45 AM.

#3 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:08 PM

well, TBH, first I guess I gotta ask, does your Windows 7 actually even find the drivers for it? i have attempted multiple installs of on my system, and never could get the damn things to work. I see reams of posts and blogs dedicated to finding mystical voodoo solutions, but generally there seems to be no concensus (other than Windows 7 apparently has a relatively common compatibilty issue with the Megaladon.)

I finally returned mine, and bought a Logitech G930 for about half the price, that work like a charm.

#4 Viper Lombardi

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:55 PM

Hey guys, thank you for your responses.

View PostCatamount, on 02 March 2013 - 06:44 AM, said:

The game does not have much in the way of its own sound settings, and appears to just use the OS settings. After making sure the software supplied by Razer is treating the headset as a surround set (and not set to stereo, or whatever), simply go into the Sound menu in the control panel, right click the headset, click Configure, and set it to 7.1. Once the OS recognizes it as 7.1

Nothing more was required for my Corsair Vengeance 1500

I already did this to begin with on my Windows 7, and the surround sound works fine in most cases (I ran a couple surround sound tests, and both showed that each speaker was working properly). However, I just don't get that feeling of surround sound immersion in this game, so I think the game just hasn't been optimized for it yet.

View PostBishop Steiner, on 02 March 2013 - 06:08 PM, said:

well, TBH, first I guess I gotta ask, does your Windows 7 actually even find the drivers for it? i have attempted multiple installs of on my system, and never could get the damn things to work. I see reams of posts and blogs dedicated to finding mystical voodoo solutions, but generally there seems to be no concensus (other than Windows 7 apparently has a relatively common compatibilty issue with the Megaladon.)

I finally returned mine, and bought a Logitech G930 for about half the price, that work like a charm.

Yes, Windows 7 does indeed find the drivers for the device. I even made the 2.12 firmware update to make sure of it. As mentioned in my reply to the post above yours, I've ran sound tests to confirm that each speaker was working correctly, and they went well.

#5 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:52 AM

Well, have you tried surround in other games? How does the immersion generally seem?

#6 Viper Lombardi

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:47 AM

View PostCatamount, on 03 March 2013 - 07:52 AM, said:

Well, have you tried surround in other games? How does the immersion generally seem?

Following your post, I went and tried surround sound in two other games: Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and Chivalry: Medieval Warfare. In both cases, the headset provided excellent surround sound, and gave me the feeling of immersion that I expected to gain from it. I just don't seem to get that same feeling with Mechwarrior at the time.

#7 madcatmike

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:58 AM

View PostViper Lombardi, on 03 March 2013 - 08:47 AM, said:

Following your post, I went and tried surround sound in two other games: Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and Chivalry: Medieval Warfare. In both cases, the headset provided excellent surround sound, and gave me the feeling of immersion that I expected to gain from it. I just don't seem to get that same feeling with Mechwarrior at the time.

I would suspect that MWO really doesn't really support "surround" audio at this time. I have a Tiamat 7.1 and haven't really noticed much on the surround aspect of the audio here. I'm fairly sure it will be there eventually but it's anybodys guess on when it'll happen.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users