#1 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:33 PM

Afaik those fancy physics are made in Cryengine 3 but are not a part of Cryengine 3. not to mention the fact I doubt it would be computationally simple enough to run in a 12 vs 12 online game in a gigantic map.

#2 DeformedSlowest

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 140 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:38 PM

It would be nice but I don't want to build a super computer to runs those kinds of effects.

#3 Insidious Johnson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,417 posts
  • Location"This is Johnson, I'm cored"

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:42 PM

Somewhat... look @ damage in videos but not to this extent... too bad though.

#4 Kodiak Jorgensson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 935 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:45 PM

i hope not... id rather see a wound mechanic implemented

http://www.slideshar...ft4dead2-wounds

#5 Aegis Kleais

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:47 PM

Very shack.

Looking forward to a time where such gameplay mechanics are par for the course and considered something that any game worth its salt would have in it.

Has to be a nightmare, though, for clipping detection. :D

#6 Blakout

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 21 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:45 PM

This would be awesome to put into MWO, but the requirements could become higher as a result.

#7 Fresh Meat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 779 posts
  • LocationMannequin Republic

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:47 PM

All Hail Crytech!

I wouldn't expect to see this for at least two years, the Devs have too much core stuff to do.

This would be great for dramatic kill shots with Gauss Rifles and ac20s for example.

Edited by Fresh Meat, 29 May 2012 - 07:53 PM.

#8 TheMagicMan

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationMare Tranquillitatis

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:59 PM

That is pretty dang cool, thanks for sharing. Like others have said I can't imagine what it would take to run that on a 12 v 12 match.

#9 Hawk Drakkarsson

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 11 posts
  • LocationWhere the money is

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:38 PM

Nice vid, thanks for sharing that. I could just see a 12 v 12 running that and my coolant boiling off as my GUP's overheat. Time to upgrade to Liquid nitrogen cooling. lol

#10 Nintenja

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Location2.375Mm over Texas

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:50 PM

I just don't see giant armor mechs crumpling like a pickup truck. At least not enough to implement this feature. Mechs go boom and fall over like trees. I just don't see them gaining the velocity to crumple up. The same effect can be gained with some scripted damage effects and we won't ever have enough time to pay attention and appriciate the difference. It is awesome though. That would be cool in a Hulk game. Smashing everything around you with realistic damage. :P

Edited by Nintenja, 29 May 2012 - 06:50 PM.

#11 UncleKulikov

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 752 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:15 PM

It's nice, but I don't want to trade higher system requirements for a mere visual embellishment. And like above, a wound mechanic would be better suited to this game.

#12 The Mad Irishman

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:20 PM

So far, I have yet to see trees get knocked over, that is if I missed it. Some sort of terrain damaging capability would be nice, since we are piloting rather large and heavy mechs with rather extensive firepower.

#13 tynaiden

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:24 PM

Someone posted that same vid to Notch earlier today on Twitter O.o
This, if done right, shouldn't cause any performance impact. PhysX and whatnot was a great model for variable physics representation. It was used in a couple games but only one I can recall off-hand is City of Heroes. It was optional and could be enabled on PysX cards for more and better visuals but didn't impact gameplay or system load if used with a PhysX card.

#14 CaveMan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,127 posts
  • LocationIn a leather flying cap and goggles

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:25 PM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 29 May 2012 - 04:33 PM, said:

Afaik those fancy physics are made in Cryengine 3 but are not a part of Cryengine 3. not to mention the fact I doubt it would be computationally simple enough to run in a 12 vs 12 online game in a gigantic map.

Correct, it says in the video that this was created by the makers of Rigs of Rods. Don't expect to see stuff like this in MWO.

Besides, 'Mechs don't crunch, and you don't need realtime softbody collision physics to do stuff like cars crushing when you step on them.

tynaiden said:

Someone posted that same vid to Notch earlier today on Twitter O.o
This, if done right, shouldn't cause any performance impact. PhysX and whatnot was a great model for variable physics representation. It was used in a couple games but only one I can recall off-hand is City of Heroes. It was optional and could be enabled on PysX cards for more and better visuals but didn't impact gameplay or system load if used with a PhysX card.

Ugh, PhysX. Requiring that players stick to a specific brand of hardware to access a feature is a bad way to appeal to the masses. NVidia basically stabbed on-GPU physics in the face by making PhysX proprietary after buying them out.

Bullet Physics is cross-brand compatible and should be used if any physics middleware is used.

Edited by CaveMan, 29 May 2012 - 07:34 PM.

#15 tynaiden

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:54 PM

View PostCaveMan, on 29 May 2012 - 07:25 PM, said:

Ugh, PhysX. Requiring that players stick to a specific brand of hardware to access a feature is a bad way to appeal to the masses. NVidia basically stabbed on-GPU physics in the face by making PhysX proprietary after buying them out.

I agree the end result was not good but the initial idea was a good one IMO.

#16 Raghnall

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • LocationWest Virginia

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:20 PM

That is a neat video, but the fact we haven't heard such a nice feature mentioned in regards to this game... I seriously doubt it will be featured.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users