Lrm Clickfest Again...

400 replies to this topic

#1 Nth Adonis

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:09 AM

Things were so close to balanced and matchs were fun but since the last patch its become an LRM clickfest again. I understand you guys need to put a weapon in the game for the kiddies that's easy to use and requires no skill but its killing the fun again. Its bad enough that LRMs force us to use only 5 out of the 64 mechs available since its crazy to fight without an ECM. I don't know how you should fix it this time just that 6 out of 8 mechs are boats each match again and theres no point in playing the game at the moment because of it. ;)
Edit - I did try AMS and they are worthless (Including double AMS) the only time I ever found AMS to work well is when this game first came out.

Edit - I know I can stick to cover the whole game that is the point of this topic that hiding from LRMs the whole match is boring and no fun.

Edit - Maybe Im not cool guy vet because I play PUGS but I have built up 42 mechs since the first week of open beta and I get a few kills most matchs.

Edit - Are people really arguing that it takes skill to use LRMS?? I threw a couple on to check out their damage and got 5 kills in 3 minutes and I haven't use them in 4 months so get serious. LOL

Edit - Keep in mind Im talking about PUG on PUG battles here, not the 8 Man Premade vs PUG battles because I agree that theres not much of anything OP when your 8 man is facing a PUG. lol

Edited by Dixie Normiss, 07 March 2013 - 08:06 AM.

#2 Kaeseblock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 258 posts
  • LocationEU / Deutschland

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:24 AM

The interesting thing is:
LRMs are not more effective than before. They just got a bit more viable in direct fire mode and a bit less viable for indirect fire support (at least that's my impression ^^).

I'm playing an ALRM CPLT-C4 for quite some time now and I assure you, the dmg I deal and the kills I get stayed the same compared to the LRM trajectory before the patch.

It's right that more people are using LRMs again but they could have done so before. I think the use of LRMs will decrease as soon as more people start to use sniper builds again. They are somewhat the natural enemy of LRMs.

Just be careful to stay near / behind cover to avoid the incoming LRM death, there's a reason you get warned against the missles ;)

#3 Monky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,219 posts
  • LocationHypothetical Warrior

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:52 AM

missiles where not affected at all by this patch, only lasers. You're probably seeing the late night stalker LRM 20 boat rush that seems to happen at about 3-4 AM central standard. No idea why, it just does.

#4 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:57 AM

Not sure if this is really a suggestion. Moving to General Discussion for now.

Dixie, PM me if you disagree and tell me why it should belong in suggestions.

#5 Noth

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 4,762 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:59 AM

View PostMonky, on 07 March 2013 - 02:52 AM, said:

missiles where not affected at all by this patch, only lasers. You're probably seeing the late night stalker LRM 20 boat rush that seems to happen at about 3-4 AM central standard. No idea why, it just does.

No LRMS have definitely been effected. Even without artemis their spread seem tighter and a change to artemis is a change to missiles, the new spiral flight pattern makes them concentrate damage on the CT far more than before.

#6 Airwind

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 158 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:05 AM

on my c4 i actually notice LRMs are killing more now.. maybe i am just lucky to get those kills ;)

and then i switched to Atlas and i was crying.. LRM ***** me.. even with AMS, i lost my left torso to some 3 volleys.. :D no more open spaces for me atlas..

#7 Vapor Trail

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
  • LocationNorfolk VA

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:05 AM

I will say this: LRMs HURT. Dunno about more or less than before, but I took a Stalker LRM boat to the Testing Grounds.

I know the targets in the Testing Grounds are Trials, and stationary ones at that... but when you can one-shot an Awesome with a 50 LRMs (no tag, no Artemis, no NARC just plain old line up, lockup, and shoot at 750m)... they might just be a bit too powerful.

In TT, that kind of strike (2 LRM 15s, 2 LRM 10s) wouldn't do much to an (immobile) assault beyond sandblast the paint off.

Edited by Vapor Trail, 07 March 2013 - 03:06 AM.

#8 RapierE01

• 1,576 posts
  • LocationEden

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:06 AM

i think the "new" Artemis Formation let them hit in a small sized volley so the damage seems to be higher. But you still need a target to use your Lrm. Without this its only weight.

But has the AMS been buffed? One AMS kill a 5 LRM volley before they reach their target

Edited by RapierE01, 07 March 2013 - 03:07 AM.

#9 Kain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • LocationZenith-Jumppoint, Tukayyid

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:11 AM

What is the problem? LRMs are good support weapons, and you can defend yourself against them.
Duck and cover!, stay away from the open areas, let them deplete their ammo etc..

And when you get close with LRM boats they are much easier to kill because they have less short range firepower.

And when the other team has 6 LRM boats, that is great, just wait, dig in and try to flank them a little bit,

For every tactic there is a counter..

#10 OpCentar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:12 AM

I would suspect that AMS kills more missiles because they are more tightly grouped with the new formation?

Anyway, I just read the Command Chair posts about the Artillery/Airstrike consumables. Those things will ruin any LRM boat day as spotting them isn't difficult and artillery strikes do area of effect splash damage.

#11 Noth

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 4,762 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:13 AM

View PostKain, on 07 March 2013 - 03:11 AM, said:

What is the problem? LRMs are good support weapons, and you can defend yourself against them.
Duck and cover!, stay away from the open areas, let them deplete their ammo etc..

And when you get close with LRM boats they are much easier to kill because they have less short range firepower.

And when the other team has 6 LRM boats, that is great, just wait, dig in and try to flank them a little bit,

For every tactic there is a counter..

that's the problem. They either dominate or are useless because the other team understands how to counter them. It just shows that LRMs are broken overall.

View PostOpCentar, on 07 March 2013 - 03:12 AM, said:

I would suspect that AMS kills more missiles because they are more tightly grouped with the new formation?

Nope. the only way they kill more missiles if if the missiles are fired in more of a stream rather than a clump

#12 One Medic Army

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:15 AM

View PostVapor Trail, on 07 March 2013 - 03:05 AM, said:

I will say this: LRMs HURT. Dunno about more or less than before, but I took a Stalker LRM boat to the Testing Grounds.

I know the targets in the Testing Grounds are Trials, and stationary ones at that... but when you can one-shot an Awesome with a 50 LRMs (no tag, no Artemis, no NARC just plain old line up, lockup, and shoot at 750m)... they might just be a bit too powerful.

In TT, that kind of strike (2 LRM 15s, 2 LRM 10s) wouldn't do much to an (immobile) assault beyond sandblast the paint off.

Remember that the training grounds mechs are stock.
Stock Awesomes have pretty terribad armor/armor distribution.

#13 Mr 144

• 1,777 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:16 AM

My Troll build got a huge buff. Artemis + 2xLRM15 + TAG + 4 tubes only + Chainfire = One beautifully tight spiral to the Torso (CT mainly). Granted, the stream was nice for focused damage before, but now it does very much like to go directly for the core. On Large Tube Mechs and Large Alpha Volleys, I haven't noticed much of a difference other than being pretty. The sheer number of clustered missiles prevent alot of single location hits I think. Perhaps a return of the LRM5 builds?

Mr 144

#14 MonkeyCheese

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:19 AM

View PostNoth, on 07 March 2013 - 02:59 AM, said:

No LRMS have definitely been effected. Even without artemis their spread seem tighter and a change to artemis is a change to missiles, the new spiral flight pattern makes them concentrate damage on the CT far more than before.

While this may be true, Artemis means less weight for close range defense.
Get in close if possible.

#15 AKSkyVirus

Rookie

• 9 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:20 AM

I was just recently languishing for the days in which I would spend entire games hiding behind buildings waiting for my team to die, so I could be zerged by the other team. Good times... good times. ;)

#16 LordDante

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 782 posts
  • Locationmy Wang is aiming at ur rear... torso

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:26 AM

LRM´s a threat again ???

GREAT !
thats what this game needed
no more brawler rush
no more splatcats that ignore the incomming damge
people need to stay in cover ??? = flanking coming viable again!!!

this means more need for fancy tactics
i approve mucho to this
so this game doesnt degenarate into some kiddy online shooter

#17 JudgeDeathCZ

• The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:26 AM

They added 4 variants of 50 ton LRM boat 1 patch ago and I do not have mastered even 2 of them(I started with 7K so I had balistic mastered 1st) so what do you expect?
What makes me rly mad are D-DCs with 3xALRM15+Tag with 1 medlas for defense and 2,5k missiles.Easy prey even for my 3 Mlasers.Just stay near him.Yeah rly usable mech at all...

#18 Barghest Whelp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • LocationIn a loophole

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:28 AM

View PostNoth, on 07 March 2013 - 02:59 AM, said:

Yeah, I noticed that as well last night. I got pounded to death by lrms much faster than before, as a direct result of more hits being concentrated on the CT area.

Another thing I noticed is that in situations where I would previously be safely behind cover the missiles could now pass over the hill and hit me anyways. Even though there was no LOS. I found this rather frustrating, as there didn't appear to be anything I could do to prevent getting hit.

#19 w0rm

• Giant Helper
  • 2,162 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:34 AM

View PostDixie Normiss, on 07 March 2013 - 02:09 AM, said:

I understand you guys need to put a weapon in the game for the kiddies that's easy to use and requires no skill but its killing the fun again.

This might be new to you, but may I introduce you to a well known and tested concept called TAKE COVER FFS?
Even the french learned that concept after the Battle of Agincourt.

#20 Noth

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 4,762 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:34 AM

View PostLordDante, on 07 March 2013 - 03:26 AM, said:

LRM´s a threat again ???

GREAT !
thats what this game needed
no more brawler rush
no more splatcats that ignore the incomming damge
people need to stay in cover ??? = flanking coming viable again!!!

this means more need for fancy tactics
i approve mucho to this
so this game doesnt degenarate into some kiddy online shooter

You do know that splat cats relied on flanking. Flanking was never dead. In fact this change makes flanking more difficult as if you are seen you will likely take more damage overall.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users