• The DeathRain
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:16 AM

View PostBudor, on 23 March 2013 - 02:59 AM, said:

Current thermal is how night vision should look ^^

I do like the range restriction on it:

Posted Image
NOW if they would just get rid of those awful triangles above the mechs heads and sharpen the views I would say ya ok its good but I never like looking through out of focus glasses.

#62 Genewen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:52 PM

I don't like the new thermal. First, the drastically limited range at which one can see a hot mech is unrealistic. Second, it does not fit the lore. If you don't mind, I'll quote Stackpole's "Blood Legacy":

Phelan took another look at the map and switched his visual display over to infrared. The landscape
instantly took on a cool blue tint. Steam jets shot tendrils of yellow fire into the air, and heat rose in
red curls from the Wolfhound's heat sinks. The jumble of colors, with streaks of red and gold marking
ground warmth, was not so confusing that a 'Mech couldn't be spotted by the heat it generated, but
the steam vents made sorting viable targets from spurious ones annoyingly difficult.

Obviously, BattleTech does not use the IR vision you guys will employ with the patch, but what we already use right now. So while I do agree that its range advantages have to be culled, either by nerfing thermal or buffing the other two, I do not agree with the path you are treading now. I'd want it to fit the lore and also, VisLight should not be the go-to vision mode while the other two are only used in unfavorable circumstances for VisLight. Let the vision modes coexist next to each other, none being better then the others.

#63 Bloody Moon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:02 PM

View PostGenewen, on 28 March 2013 - 01:52 PM, said:

I'll quote Stackpole's "Blood Legacy":

That is the mistake my good man, if we'd follow the "Stackpole canon" we'd have nuclear explosions all around.
So let's just say mr Stackpole's novels are not entirely a valid source.

The range limitation is needed due to the gameplay otherwise we'd have to stick using thermal for long range combat all the time. Which is exactly the current situation.

#64 Genewen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:57 PM

View PostBloody Moon, on 28 March 2013 - 02:02 PM, said:

The range limitation is needed due to the gameplay otherwise we'd have to stick using thermal for long range combat all the time. Which is exactly the current situation.

That is just plain wrong. If both vision modes were on par in terms of visibility, people could choose the vision mode they prefer. The reason thermal is preferable right now is that the long range visibility on vis light sucks big time. The solution should be to balance vision modes, not make another one superior to the others then the one that has been the FOTM mode for the past while.

Also dunno what you are talking about concerning Stackpole. I'm at re-reading the books right now and managed to get to book 12 in the last weeks. Not a single nuclear explosion happened until now. Also, if you have any other lore sources, you might want to share it. So far, I've not found any other source for this.

#65 Dragorath

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 168 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:15 PM

The decreased range is fine, but grey in grey is ahhhh bad.
Plz add at least a little bit of color.

#66 RobinSage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 295 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Inner Sphere

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:59 PM

I agree with most in here....a little bit of orange to red glow when the enemy heats up would make some sense...and look a little better by adding some contrast with every hit. A little less fuzzy on the outline might boost the contrast a little too. Looking better though imo. :)

#67 Chavette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:37 PM

As it is now, it happens often that your radar targets the guy, puts him in the box, but you cant see anything so you try shooting in the middle of the box looking for something.

Radar range is 800m, I feel like the thermal should be bumped to fall off from 700m to completely at 850m. So you wouldnt be blind fighting even when you have a radar lock.

But then again, as a professional, absolute top-end bleeding-edge player, my job is simply to adapt to anything that gets thrown at me, so you wont hear me complaining.

#68 3rdworld

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:14 PM

Seeing your target.

OP since 2087

Posted Image

#69 keith

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:36 PM

View Post3rdworld, on 11 April 2013 - 01:14 PM, said:

Seeing your target.

OP since 2087

Posted Image

wasn't like that in CB untill PGi added "stuff:" to regular vision making thermal the go to thing for sniping. untill then thermal was a tool, no a mandatory thing. MAYBE they should take out that distance blur...

#70 nesvita

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:52 PM

hi

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users