PvP vs. PvE Poll

116 replies to this topic

Poll: PvP vs. PvE (352 member(s) have cast votes)

Why do you want to play MWO, PvP or PvE?

1. PvP (261 votes [74.15%])

Percentage of vote: 74.15%

2. PvE (91 votes [25.85%])

Percentage of vote: 25.85%

If MWO never has PvE will you quit playing?

1. Yes (48 votes [13.64%])

Percentage of vote: 13.64%

2. No (304 votes [86.36%])

Percentage of vote: 86.36%

Would you pay money to have a PvE element to MWO?

1. Yes (171 votes [48.58%])

Percentage of vote: 48.58%

2. No (181 votes [51.42%])

Percentage of vote: 51.42%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 GrizzlyViking

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationMarik

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:14 AM

Due to some recent discussion I thought it would be interesting to see where the community stands on PvP vs. PvE? This poll is ONLY for the purpose of comparing PvP vs. PvE as a motivator to play MWO. While I am aware that there are many other possible motivations for playing MWO this poll is only designed to measure PvP vs. PvE. Please choose the answer that best fits your motivation. Personally, I find it odd that people want PvE, but maybe I am in the minority. If I am, then MWO may not turn out to be the game I was expecting after all. I am curious to know where most people stand, so I created this poll.

UPDATE:

Please note that the poll is only an opinion poll that is posted on a game specific forum. In order to do a scientific poll it would need to be designed and administered by an independent entity that has no stake in the game. This is not a scientific poll and was not intended to be...it is a player opinion poll. I am biased. It is not a secret and I am not trying to hide it from anyone. The questions are clear and concise and they accomplish what I intend for them to accomplish. Please see below for more details regarding each question.

QUESTION #1: Question 1 is specifically intended measure ONLY PvP vs. PvE motivation and that is exactly what it does. Every player is one or the other no matter what other motivations they have for playing. This question could not be worded any better to measure between ONLY the two motivations and it purposely does not have a both option for that very reason.The only purpose of the question is to determine the primary motivation of most MWO players between the choices of PvP and PvE...nothing more and nothing less.

QUESTION #2: Question 2 is designed specifically to address the issue of PvE in terms of directly affecting game revenues. Obviously if people are here for PvE only, then they are not going to be interested in playing a PvP only game. Based on the responses so far we can see that even though there are several PvE activists in the community, most of them would keep playing even in the absence of PvE game-play. Again, this question measures exactly what I intended to measure to address claims that not having a PvE element in the game would somehow doom MWO to failure. The numbers above clearly show that MWO would still be played by most players even if there were no PvE element.

QUESTION #3: Question 3 is designed specifically to answer the "both" question that you are so concerned about. If a person is a "both" player, then they are going to be willing to pay for PvE content. Based on the answers given to question 3 we can clearly see that about half of the MWO community has enough interest in PvE that they would be willing to pay for it. This is the bottom line and is a clear indicator of what the community wants. I expect that as a Dev looking at this poll I would take PvE under consideration simply because it appears to be another source of revenue generation. How to integrate PvE into the game becomes the next question at hand. PvE presents many unique problems for MWO, some of which I expect are already being contemplated by the Devs.

CONCLUSION: If PvE/PvP compatibility issues are not addressed well they will become a continual source of strife between the players from both camps just like they already have in this poll discussion. PvE and PvP do not mix well and there is no game that I am aware of where they do. My solution for the problem is never to mix PvE and PvP in the same game. If they are to exist simultaneously, then they should be completely separate divisions having no impact whatsoever on each other. PvE goals and rewards in their own PvE ladder and ranking area. PvP goals and rewards in their own ladder and ranking area. Crossover between the two sides always results in imbalances and strife and it is not good for either PvP or PvE.

Edited by GrizzlyViking, 03 June 2012 - 12:21 PM.

#2 Kartr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 560 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:22 AM

Hey Grizzly can you change the poll so I can select both PvP and PvE for why I want to play MW.O? Because honestly I would play it either way and still love it.

#3 CompleteTanker

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:24 AM

I want to play MWO because it's latest release for the franchise.

Nothing to do with it being PvP or PvE.

Seeing as PvE has never been mentioned being in this game, it would be weird to say that was a primary reason for playing it.

#4 Arafinar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  • LocationCinci, OH

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:26 AM

The thought of instances and tanks and healers and having to do dances to kill bosses
in mechwarrior makes me cringe.

#5 Rayah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 801 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:30 AM

It's all about the PvP this time around.

#6 GrizzlyViking

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationMarik

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:30 AM

View PostKartr, on 02 June 2012 - 10:22 AM, said:

Hey Grizzly can you change the poll so I can select both PvP and PvE for why I want to play MW.O? Because honestly I would play it either way and still love it.

I actually thought of adding a "both" option, but my purpose for the poll was to find the primary reason of the two choices listed that people came here to MWO. In other words, I want to know how many people came to MWO looking for an awesome PvE game experience and how many came for an awesome PvP game experience. I know their are those who have motivation for both, so I added the question about paying for PvE to address that. I figure the people in the both category are those that would pay for a PvE option. No intention of slighting anyone here, just trying to get a picture of people's motivations for being here.

Edited by GrizzlyViking, 03 June 2012 - 08:31 AM.

#7 Stormdragon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:31 AM

View PostKartr, on 02 June 2012 - 10:22 AM, said:

Yeah same here it seems like an all or nothing type of poll

#8 Revage

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 108 posts
  • LocationCoos Bay, OR

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:32 AM

View PostArafinar, on 02 June 2012 - 10:26 AM, said:

The thought of instances and tanks and healers and having to do dances to kill bosses
in mechwarrior makes me cringe.

Mechwarrior 1-4, including expansions, were/had PvE, and I don't recall them ever resembling your fear here.

Also, for the OP, being able to select PvP & PvE would have made a more descriptive poll. As mentioned earlier, since the game was only advertised as PvP, and has only to date confirmed PvP, you're naturally going to have your results skewed towards PvP as the people interested enough in PvE to leave over its absense, have doubtlessly already left.

Edited by Revage, 02 June 2012 - 10:33 AM.

#9 GrizzlyViking

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationMarik

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:34 AM

View PostCompleteTanker, on 02 June 2012 - 10:24 AM, said:

I want to play MWO because it's latest release for the franchise.

Nothing to do with it being PvP or PvE.

Seeing as PvE has never been mentioned being in this game, it would be weird to say that was a primary reason for playing it.

This poll was motivated by some very adamant community members that have been implying that PvE should be, at least, equal to PvP and that MWO will suffer without PvE.

#10 Capt Cole 117

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationSeattle Aerospace Defense Command, Terra

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:36 AM

Merc corps should be able to hire tanks and other support units. Mechs are always people and tanks are always AI... or at least I hope it turns out that way. Being able to boss around vehicles would also give comanders more importence.

Edited by Capt Cole 117, 02 June 2012 - 10:38 AM.

#11 GrizzlyViking

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationMarik

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:37 AM

View PostStormdragon, on 02 June 2012 - 10:31 AM, said:

Yeah same here it seems like an all or nothing type of poll

It is an all or nothing in that the purpose is to determine the primary motivation of most players for playing MWO between PvE and PvP. I am sure there are plenty of other reasons for playing, but the purpose of this poll is simply to compare the two motivations of PvE and PvP. I will amend my original post to clarify.

#12 Stormdragon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:38 AM

I think what Piranha is going to be interested in is that that last question, and you can pretty much tell from that if there was a PVP and PVE option the poll wouldn't be so skewed.

Edited by Stormdragon, 02 June 2012 - 10:39 AM.

#13 Arafinar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  • LocationCinci, OH

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:39 AM

View PostRevage, on 02 June 2012 - 10:32 AM, said:

Mechwarrior 1-4, including expansions, were/had PvE, and I don't recall them ever resembling your fear here.

Also, for the OP, being able to select PvP & PvE would have made a more descriptive poll. As mentioned earlier, since the game was only advertised as PvP, and has only to date confirmed PvP, you're naturally going to have your results skewed towards PvP as the people interested enough in PvE to leave over its absense, have doubtlessly already left.

cringe = fear? no, the pve you talk about was a single player game dont recall any online pve,
WOW with mechs will make me take a walk for sure.

Edited by Arafinar, 02 June 2012 - 10:40 AM.

#14 Kartr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 560 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:40 AM

View PostGrizzlyViking, on 02 June 2012 - 10:30 AM, said:

I actually thought of adding a "both" option, but my purpose for the poll was to find the primary reason that people came here to MWO. In other words, I want to know how many people came to MWO looking for an awesome PvE game experience and how many came for an awesome PvP game experience. I know their are those who have motivation for both, so I added the questions about PvE to address that. I figure the people in the both category are those that would pay for a PvE option. No intention of slighting anyone here, just trying to get a picture of people's motivations for being here.

But see that's the thing, my primary motivation to play is because it's MechWarrior. PvP or PvE isn't really a factor and I wouldn't be more inclined to play one way or the other. Several other people have already voiced similar sentiments, and I can't vote unless I pick PvP or PvE and I can't pick.

#15 lutti

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:40 AM

How would people implement pve into game that is about mechs vs mechs? Solo missions? Missions with other people against npc mechs? What's the deal with this pve talk i see here constantly and how people are disapointed that there isn't going to be any?
It's team of mechs against team of mechs ...what else can you ask of a mechwarrior game?

#16 Gladewolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 464 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:41 AM

Having story mode elements in the game wouldn't need to be much different from story modes of previous titles. The clan invasion, for instance could start of as a PVE conflict against vastly superior tech. This would also avoid giving players a large advantage over the rest, by just handing them more advanced gear. Having a battle simulator for training purposes only makes sense.

#17 Revage

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 108 posts
  • LocationCoos Bay, OR

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:44 AM

Eh, 'suffer' in the sense of lost opportunity if no PvE element is ever added. PvE offers an integration-period for new players that isn't as competitive as PvP, which can help with retention of new players. This'll broaden the player-base and maybe draw in some perspectives that differ from the PvP community at large, creating a more vibrant community. Mechwarrior also has a rich history and lore that could be played out through missions available in some kind of simulation. Fighting in the Star League, maybe? Also, these kind of PvE missions could be transferred into PvP mission equivalents with players on either team attempting to meet the same objectives, thus the PvP would lose nothing from the addition of this style of PvE mission, they would still get new maps with possible new modes and objectives, just a little more history and grounding in the lore than "LULZ I IN GIANT MECH DROPPING ON PLANET TO SHOOT YOU NO REASON JUST SHOOT".

View PostArafinar, on 02 June 2012 - 10:39 AM, said:

cringe = fear? no, the pve you talk about was a single player game dont recall any online pve,

You may have never noticed this.. but in a single-player game, you are fighting against CPU's, not other players. Thus, you are fighting the AI, i.e., you are doing nothing different from PvE.

Well, I suppose there is the difference that you don't have friends playing with you talking enjoying the game..

Edited by Revage, 02 June 2012 - 10:46 AM.

#18 Stormdragon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:44 AM

View PostRevage, on 02 June 2012 - 10:42 AM, said:

Eh, 'suffer' in the sense of lost opportunity if no PvE element is ever added. PvE offers an integration-period for new players that isn't as competitive as PvP, which can help with retention of new players. This'll broaden the player-base and maybe draw in some perspectives that differ from the PvP community at large, creating a more vibrant community. Mechwarrior also has a rich history and lore that could be played out through missions available in some kind of simulation. Fighting in the Star League, maybe? Also, these kind of PvE missions could be transferred into PvP mission equivalents with players on either team attempting to meet the same objectives, thus the PvP would lose nothing from the addition of this style of PvE mission, they would still get new maps with possible new modes and objectives, just a little more history and grounding in the lore than "LULZ I IN GIANT MECH DROPPING ON PLANET TO SHOOT YOU NO REASON JUST SHOOT".

Pretty much this^

#19 Scav

• PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Locationon your six..

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:46 AM

PVE?

Edited by Helmer, 02 June 2012 - 12:10 PM.
Edited for content. No need to be disrespectful.

#20 Gladewolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 464 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:47 AM

View PostArafinar, on 02 June 2012 - 10:39 AM, said:

I Think the other poster was attempting to tell you that NOONE wants WoW with mechs. I think we would ALL walk. Being able to run missions against simulated aggressors with your friends/lancemates at least for trainning purposes is more of what is being discussed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users