Mouse Wheel

18 replies to this topic

#1 Safetybuddy

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:57 AM

Is there a way to map some controls to the mouse wheel up and down, not the wheel press? I'd like to use it for Throttle control, but I don't recall being able to map the wheel to anything ever in a Mechwarrior game. Thank you in advance for some help with this.

Safetybuddy

#2 Sh4dow78

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 234 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:00 AM

agree i would like to use wheel for zoom ...

#3 Luther Varone

• PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:59 PM

To use the wheel for selecting individual weapons and then firing them with mouse button 1 (or whatever other key) is, in my opinion, the ideal way for using individual weapons. the inability to map control options to the mouse wheel for such a complex and multi-control game just seems silly

#4 Safetybuddy

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:36 PM

Agreed. I was hoping it was just an issue on my end and someone would enlighten me.

#5 Sionnach 69

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:04 PM

Yes!, Yes! and Yes!

Being able to bind something to wheel up and down would make life much easier.

MWO is probably the only game I've encountered where it is NOT used.

#6 Precipus

• Pip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16 posts
  • LocationSeattle Washington

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:37 AM

http://mwomercs.com/...use-wheel-down/

#7 Safetybuddy

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:48 PM

That looks a bit challenging, but you gotta do what you gotta do. I did a search for mouse wheel before I opened this thread, I'm not sure why that one didn't show up. Thank you, Precipis, for being better at forums than I am.

#8 DEMAX51

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:35 AM

In the latest Ask the Devs, somebody asked about mapping zoom to the mouse wheel and the dev responded "Sure," so hopefully soon

#9 Hauser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 976 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:49 PM

I wrote a really a simple autohotkey script for this. Binds the mouse wheel to the Numpad + and Numpad - which are used to step the throttle. Each scroll tick of scroll wheel will increase your speed with 10%.

Run the script as administrator.

Swap Send {NumpadAdd } and Send {NumpadSub } if you want it to work in the other direction.

;
; AutoHotkey Version: 1.x
; Language:	   English
; Platform:	   Win9x/NT
; Author:		 Hauser <luke.hoser@gmail.com>
;
; Script Function:
;	Binds mouse wheel to step throttle up and down buttons
;

#NoEnv  ; Recommended for performance and compatibility with future AutoHotkey releases.
SendMode Input  ; Recommended for new scripts due to its superior speed and reliability.
SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir%  ; Ensures a consistent starting directory.

#InstallMouseHook
#InstallKeyBDHook

#IfWinActive MechWarrior Online

WheelUp::
	Send {NumpadAdd }

return

WheelDown::
	Send {NumpadSub }

return

Edited by Hauser, 23 April 2013 - 03:55 PM.

#10 SgtMagor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:30 AM

I want to bind the up and down wheel to weapon groups

#11 Fraktur

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationDallas, Texas

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:16 AM

by default, my mousewheel when pressed, acts in the same fashion as the zoom key. the wheel doesn't work, but as a button it does.

#12 evilC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 20 July 2013 - 11:00 AM

If you want zoom on mouse wheel, I have a script for that here.

Weapons on wheel is more complicated.
Wheels only send a down event, not an up event - so it is impossible to "hold" a mouse wheel button.

That being said, my Fire Control app will let you bind the fire button to wheel functions, though only one Fire Sequence (eg 1,2)

#13 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:07 AM

I have used the Wheel for firegroups

Today I recognized that they didn't worked.

Has the actionmap changed? I still can see in the mapping of the UI that the values of the wheel remain - but they didn't worked in combat.

Any clues?

#14 Darkhammer

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 26 posts
  • LocationDo not look, I am behind you.

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:12 PM

I have been using mine for zoom, I love it!!!!

#15 evilC

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:02 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 24 July 2013 - 05:07 AM, said:

I have used the Wheel for firegroups

Today I recognized that they didn't worked.

Has the actionmap changed? I still can see in the mapping of the UI that the values of the wheel remain - but they didn't worked in combat.

Any clues?

You mean you still have wheel up bound to something in your game options? So say for "Fire Weapon Group 1" you have "Wheel Up" bound?
They removed the ability to bind mouse wheel a while ago - I would imagine when they did that, that any existing bindings would stop working.

If not using the game options to bind wheel to a weapon group (eg you use something like AutoHotkey), then unless there is 50ms between the key down and the key up event, then the button will not fire the group. Seeing as wheels do not normally send an up event, this is likely.

If you provide more info, we can possibly help solve the problem.

#16 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,575 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:54 PM

View PostSafetybuddy, on 10 April 2013 - 04:57 AM, said:

Is there a way to map some controls to the mouse wheel up and down, not the wheel press? I'd like to use it for Throttle control, but I don't recall being able to map the wheel to anything ever in a Mechwarrior game. Thank you in advance for some help with this.

Safetybuddy

If you have a gaming mouse, you should be able to set your mousewheel up and down to press those keys, and possibly associate that macro set only with MWO - maybe someone who's done more customization with macros than I have could help?

#17 evilC

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:51 AM

View PostVoid Angel, on 25 July 2013 - 06:54 PM, said:

If you have a gaming mouse, you should be able to set your mousewheel up and down to press those keys, and possibly associate that macro set only with MWO - maybe someone who's done more customization with macros than I have could help?

Many mouse wheel vendor's software does not support this.
For example, it is not possible with any Logitech mice, even the gaming range.
[Caveat: It is possible with the 3rd party driver "UberOptions", but this is a hack of an old driver and only allows certain bindings (eg bind wheel to up/down arrow)]

The AutoHotkey macro I posted not only does the require binding, but also only has effect while MWO is the current application.

Edited by evilC, 26 July 2013 - 03:54 AM.

#18 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,575 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:20 PM

View PostevilC, on 26 July 2013 - 03:51 AM, said:

Many mouse wheel vendor's software does not support this.
For example, it is not possible with any Logitech mice, even the gaming range.
[Caveat: It is possible with the 3rd party driver "UberOptions", but this is a hack of an old driver and only allows certain bindings (eg bind wheel to up/down arrow)]

The AutoHotkey macro I posted not only does the require binding, but also only has effect while MWO is the current application.

Unfortunate; I hadn't tried to mess with mousewheel bindings yet, but I'm using a Logitech G500 - I can confirm that there's not a way to assign mousewheel to anything, now that I've looked. Thanks for the information, and the macro!

Edited by Void Angel, 27 July 2013 - 09:21 PM.

#19 GrizzlyBeaRRR

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 05:58 AM

Hi guys,
I'd like to update this thread with a little workaround i made.
My workaround concentrates on controlling "Mech Throttle" through the "Mousewheel" using the free software "AutoHotkey" and a little piece of code.
Note: I wrote this Script at work and had not yet time to test it, but be sure, it will work!

Please reply any problems you encounter during installation or use of this script, thank you!

This workaround should work as follows:

When scrolling the mousewheel upwards the numbers 1 to 9 and then 0 are simulated consecutively by Autohotkey, resulting in your mech getting faster in 10% steps.
Scrolling the mousewheel downwards works vice versa, resulting in your mech getting slower in 10 % Steps until it stands.

Here is a example how this looks if you use your scrollwheel when having the script activated in Autohotkey:
1234567890987654321x
Note: The 0 is sent multiple times when reaching the "throttle limit" which does not influence any behaviour.
Note: The x, sent when completely scrolled down is used to force the mech into a stop, else it would be stuck at 10%
Note: When controling throttle through the keyboard numpad, the script will not resume from a throttle set by the numpad.
Note: Test this yourself if you like in the editor or any textbox.

Installation Tutorial:
1.) First, grab Autohotkey from the Homepage:http://www.autohotkey.com/

2.) Install and start Autohotkey.

3.) Autohotkey will start minimized in the info-toolbar (right bottom corner beneathe the clock in windows).

4.) Rightclick autohotkey in the info-toolbar and hit "edit this script"

5.) The editor will pop up with some example code in it. Delete all the example code and replace it with my script code, found below:

------------------!!!Code starts one line below!!!-------------!!!Dont copy this line!!! -----
Var =
TriggerUp = 1

~WheelUp::

If (TriggerUp = 1)
{
Var = 1
TriggerUp = 0
Send %Var%
return
}

If Var between 1 and 10
{
Var ++
If Var = 10
{
Var = 0
return
}
}

Send %Var%
return

~Wheeldown::

If Var =
{
Return
}

If Var = 0
{
Var = 9
Send %Var%
return
}

If Var between 1 and 9
{
Var --
If Var = 0
{
Var =
TriggerUp = 1
Send x
return
}

}

Send %Var%
return
------------------!!!Code ends one line above!!!-------------!!!Dont copy this line!!! -----
6.) Save the file and close the editor.
Note: Saving the file is uuuuuuultra important so do it!

7.)Rightclick autohotkey in the info-toolbar again and hit "Reload this script"
Note: After that the Code is "armed", which means it will start writing weird numbers
all around text boxes and websites, when using your scroll-wheel.

8.) Last Step: Start mechwarrior, start a match and use the mousewheel to control the throttle of your mech.

EDIT: Using following code works as well (maby better) I have not known of the "+" and "-" function in/decreasing mech throttle as well:
------------------!!!Code starts one line below!!!-------------!!!Dont copy this line!!! -----
~WheelUp::-
~WheelDown::+
------------------!!!Code ends one line above!!!-------------!!!Dont copy this line!!! -----

Edited by GrizzlyBeaRRR, 25 November 2014 - 06:45 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users