619 replies to this topic

#1 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:13 PM

*** THIS THREAD IS A WINNER OF THE PRESTIGIOUS "STAR LEAGUE FORUM AWARD ***

Ok, I see a lot of posts on a wide variety of topics. Many of which are either not thought out, rage filled, based off of assumptions, or just completely fallacious. This makes my job as a troll, very easy. So let me help you and inform you why the post your about to make is completely wrong-headed and about to be trolled. Allow me to state, that paying attention to anything I say in this thread only hurts me in the long run because not only will I not have the opportunity to troll you, but more than likely, your thread will not end up in K Town. We denizens of K Town need your bad threads to survive.

TL:DR: L2Topic.

1. Redundancy:
You have just made the 172nd thread on the topic. By this point, no matter how well thought out your post is, you’re just making noise. When I see 5 threads on the first page about the same thing and yours’ is the most recent, you’re going to get “This thread is new and exciting”.
Why you’re probably wrong: You may have the best solution on the topic, which is so simple to implement a child could code it, and not only will revolutionize the topic, but make food taste better to boot. Creating your own thread on the topic just makes you a narcissist. When the devs are paying attention to the volume on the topic, they’re not counting threads, but posts. Your idea is just as valid as an OP as it is on page 22.

2. “Fix the damn bugs!”
You just made a one off thread listing a handful of bugs that are affecting you. Usually you’re going to add a lot of capital letters and exclamation points, ranting and raving about how it has become unplayable for you.
Why you’re probably wrong: Many times when I see one of these posts, I check the feedback and support forums for a corresponding thread from the OP. 90% of the time there isn't one. I’m also willing to bet cashy money that a support ticket hasn't been sent in. I realize that your issue is important to you, but it may not be affecting 80%+ of the other players in the game, so it’s something they have to investigate and work on. If it’s not something they can resolve with a hot-fix, and without the existence of a magic wand, it probably means that it’s given a level of priority in the bug-stomping queue. Just because it’s a huge issue to you, doesn't mean that it’s a huge issue to anyone else. These rants are going to get “YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)”. Usually, these threads also fall under topic 1. Redundancy. The amusing thing about these threads is it usually involves suggesting…

3. Roll back the patch:
In your tirade about (insert bug(s) here) and how it’s completely ruined your game-play, you probably suggested rolling back the patch to make the game playable for you, because you were doing fine last week.
Why you’re probably wrong: A rollback is an absolute LAST RESORT for a developer. In my 20 years of beta testing, I can literally count on one hand the number of times I’ve seen a patch rolled back. Usually these involve a total show stopper where most, if not all, play has been effected and can’t be resolved with a hot-fix. Many patches involve several bug fixes, (Some companies are better at communicating this than others, PGI I give a 6 out of 10 when it comes to their patch notes) more than a few of those bugs may have been affecting other players the way the new bug is affecting you. So your suggestion is to roll back the patch and make a game unplayable for others so that it can be playable for you? Also, many times a rollback can cause more problems than it fixes as it usually requires rolling back the server as well as client versions.

3. Divert resources:
Your frustration about (insert gripe here) has just led you to write a lengthy thread on the topic about how the people doing (this) should be diverted into doing (that).
Why you’re probably wrong: Think of the world of computer programming as a microcosm of the rest of the working world. There are many different skill sets that do not cross over. Those people who model content have a widely different skill set from those who write/analyze code. In short, you’re asking a plumber to fix your light socket. Also, if that were possible, chances are, that a month down the road, you would be writing another post about how there isn't enough content.

4. Beta status:
You've just gone on about how this product IS or IS NOT Beta.
Why you’re probably wrong: Many people are using an outdated model of what qualifies as Beta status. Others believe in the concept that as soon as a product has been monetized that it is no longer Beta. Both of you are wrong.
Back in the day, if you wanted to Beta test a product, you would be charged for the disc, shipping and a nominal fee, this is usually around the same cost +/- of what the Elite Founders package was. Now we’re in a world where an entire game can be downloaded in the time it takes to eat lunch, at a relatively minimal cost to the developer compared to disc production. And without a major publisher pushing the title, these companies need to get funding from somewhere, ergo (Latin), you have Beta entry packages and micro transactions during the development to fund future development.
In short, until the entire industry redefines what the meaning of the word Beta now means, the game is Beta until the developer says it isn't.

5 NERF:
You just had your head handed to you on a stick for the 10th time by something you perceive is an imbalance in the game, and you feel compelled to come to the forum and post your QQ rant on the topic.
Why you’re probably wrong: During the development process, things get tweaked and adjust the state of the meta. It’s not that one system is OP, it’s that its natural counter has changed or hasn’t been implemented yet. Most of the time, you are looking at the symptom and not the disease.
Let’s take ECM as an example. ECM is part of the Information Warfare pillar of the game. Without the rest of the IW being fleshed out, ECM is standing alone. Imagine how the game would look if just missiles were in it completely, and just small lasers and AC5 were the only other aspects of the combat pillar implemented at this time. You would be screaming about how LRMS are OP and stupid and needed to be removed because those mechs that can carry them are ruling the roost. You’d want all mechs to be able to carry LRMS and the mech that did it best would be OP as well.
Another recent example is the sniping meta. When you look at the weapon system as a whole, everything has its natural counter. LRMs were through the roof on damage and it was the niche player who was sniping, because they were good at it. As soon as LRMs were dialed back severely, sniping became the low risk/high reward meta. So, the market floods with them.
Before you begin your rant about how unbalanced an item is, look at everything that surrounds it, rather than just saying that an element needs to be nerfed. If you don’t, this leads to the Law of Unintended Consequences and a lesion in Cause/Effect. Sometimes I believe the Devs actually do take your hair-brained ideas and make a change just to show you how wrong you really were.

6. BUFF:
Why you’re probably wrong: (see 5. NERF).

7. (Random game) does it like this:
You just spent your time making a thread about how (insert title) does it better and that the developer should follow their example.
Why you’re probably wrong: Nobody wants to be known as a (insert title) clone but with (insert difference). If the game was that great, you wouldn’t even be looking at this title and you would be investing every second of your life available to you over there. The game development community isn’t that spread out, everyone knows what the other is doing. If that system were the benchmark of how to do stuff, everyone would be doing it.

8. (Random Company) does it like this:
Many electrons have just died in your thread about how (Mega game developer) has it hands down over the way they do things differently / better than this one does.
Why you’re probably wrong: One word, resources. A lot of the time, I’ll see the poster use some title with a decade long history of generating money and its latest version has spent multiple years in development. You’re comparing apples to truck tires. These mega-titles have many of the best in the industry working for them, getting paid large salaries, and have entire teams devoted to each aspect of the game. You don’t have that here. Plus, you name any game developer in the last 50 years (Yes, I’m even talking about board games) and I can point to a handful of abysmal failures they’ve developed as well. Time will tell which side this title will fall into, but if you’re going to make the comparison, look to a title that has an equal amount of time and staff attributed to it. Otherwise you just sound ignorant.

9. Pay2Win:
The latest form of monetization implemented has you completely apoplectic about how your pocket is being raided to be competitive.
Why you’re probably wrong: Take the money factor out of it for a second. Is there any way that the system can’t be countered in anyway by normal time sink means? Is there a free equivalent of it in the game that is close but not 100% equal to it? If the answer is yes to either of those questions, then shut up, it’s not P2W. I’ve played P2W titles, where even if all the time sinks were removed, it would take close to a year to achieve the same power with what can be purchased with (insert X amount of ‘gold’ coins”). We’re not even close to that here.

10. Why I’m not playing/paying:
You just posted a lengthy thread about why you are no longer playing or paying for the game, you have a laundry list of complaints that continue to go unaddressed and you are fed up enough to post on it.
Why you’re probably wrong: You’re preaching to the choir. Those who agree with you are going to pile on, those who don’t are going to troll. You claim that you’re providing a service to the community and helping the company with your feedback. However, if you truly cared, you’d take your multi-faceted thread and compose it in an Email, CC it to everyone with a title in the company, and make your personal plea to those who are actually going to read it. In reality, you’re just complaining and fishing for rep on a forum.

In short (too late) if you don’t want to be trolled, moved to K Town or just plain locked, read the advice above and realize that you’re probably wrong and that your thread is just going to be bad. That’s ok, I’ll be visiting it soon, and I’ll probably get more rep for a snide remark than you’ll get for your entire long winded rant.

I think I just wrapped up 2000 words that are going to be moved to off topic or K Town… meh. The MODS are cruel and capricious.

Yes, I am acutely aware that I am violating the spirit of this thread by writing this thread.

Edited by Roadbeer, 10 February 2014 - 05:31 AM.

#2 MoonUnitBeta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:16 PM

I think number 4 is going to be hot discussion within this thread.

Nice post though. I hope it helps people clue into some things and helps them apply a little more thought before clicking the "Start New Thread" button.
Perhaps "General Discussion" is too liberal of a term. People seem to see it as "Talk about anything you want to .HERE. and let the mods sort it out for you!".

Edited by MoonUnitBeta, 13 April 2013 - 12:20 PM.

#3 Yokaiko

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:18 PM

View PostMoonUnitBeta, on 13 April 2013 - 12:16 PM, said:

I think number 4 is going to be hot discussion within this thread.

He's right.

Once upon a time PGI said that Beta and Launch are "different things" with Free to Play. This game launched as a minimally viable product.

....at the end of closed beta.

#4 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:21 PM

# 4.) +1003 likes for choosing the logic model over the emotional one regarding the real and or implied definition of "beta" as it pertains to MW:O.

#5 l4Dl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:23 PM

This has to be the most insightful topic into the mind of a troll. Thank you.

Is the game perfect? no.
Will people give their opinion/feedback, as, the game is in "BETA", until its perfect? yes.

Unless you somehow become a forum mod, i cant see you enforcing any of the above "ideals".
Adolf ****** has some bad "ideals", look how it turned out for him!

#6 Lazydrones541

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 166 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:25 PM

Interesting indeed..

#7 DrSecretStache

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 483 posts
  • LocationWherever the Cbills flow

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:26 PM

Thanks for posting a well thought out thread that is going to get trolled to no end, for the very reason that it might as well be pinned.

No really, thank you, nice read ^_^

#8 neviu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • Locationnetherlands

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:26 PM

Posted Image

#9 DCLXVI

Dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:27 PM

well this is an easy one. whether this game is beta or not is not regulated by any governments or law enforcement agencies. whoever edits the page decides lol, no really (ha I didn't actually read it and im aguring the same point lol. section 4 is correct). And starting new threads is obviously not going to help the dev's, it attracts attention in the community looking for new thread topics. Might seem dumb to you and poor forum habits, but it is working really good lmao. See right now there are 26 people viewing your new thread, and there are zero looking in the forum posting rules thread, where this one belongs ^_^

Edited by DCLXVI, 13 April 2013 - 12:43 PM.

#10 Vincian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:28 PM

TL; DN!

But... Really entertaining post. I liked it. ^_^

#11 Dreamslave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts
  • LocationUpstate New York

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:29 PM

Well number 1 is hilariously inaccurate. No employee has the time to read through 22 pages of a thread. And even if they do they are only skimming it. So, a persons fantasticly perfect idea on page 22 has very little chance of being noticed, compared to a new thread or a post on page 1. Use your head man!

4 makes perfect sense and the vast majority of this community needs to understand that.

#12 KharnZor

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,584 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:30 PM

View Postneviu, on 13 April 2013 - 12:26 PM, said:

Posted Image

haha

#13 hercules1981

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 307 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:33 PM

good job dude like the post alot and i just skimmed through. love the whole nerf complaint about getting your but whipped 10 time by something. So many people r just out of position and get whipped real quick by a team that is not so they wine about it. Actually real funny in my eyes and i find once in a great while it happens to me as well and i get blown to pieces and just say to myself crap i shouldnt have done that.Sometimes its the other team making good moves that kill u but i feel that it is u making a mistake yourself that really gets u killed. Make less of them and become a better player stop QQ ing, and again like the post alot!

Edited by hercules1981, 13 April 2013 - 12:36 PM.

#14 neviu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • Locationnetherlands

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:33 PM

roadbeer to be honest,

good post man

#15 Star Colonel Mustard Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 488 posts
  • LocationNarnia

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:36 PM

View PostDreamslave, on 13 April 2013 - 12:29 PM, said:

Well number 1 is hilariously inaccurate. No employee has the time to read through 22 pages of a thread.

4 makes perfect sense and the vast majority of this community needs to understand that.

There are people who's jobs are to do just that.

#16 Death Weasel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 227 posts
  • LocationDrinking your milk from the carton.

Posted 13 April 2013 - 01:10 PM

Rolling on the floor laughing.

No TL;DR for you either.

Truly enjoyed the post.

#17 General Taskeen

• 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 13 April 2013 - 01:12 PM

Tune in next time on Forum Warrior.

Edited by General Taskeen, 13 April 2013 - 01:13 PM.

#18 jay35

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 01:14 PM

Why You’re Probably Wrong About…

...what this thread's about.

I expected a Roadbeer post. I got a serious post. ^_^

#19 Team Leader

• 3,222 posts
  • LocationUrbanmech and Machine Gun Advocate

Posted 13 April 2013 - 01:21 PM

This is serious business and needs a poll.
Seriously though. I just spent 7 minutes reading all that. I agree with it and this should be pinned.

However in your "nerf" section the "reason why" pretty much only applies to ECM in my opinion. There's not anything else quite like that, and there are no planned improvements to EW. At least if we had small lasers and AC5s, there would be hope of the AC20, Large Lasers, and all that.

Right now, we already HAVE the things that are getting wrecked and unbalanced by ECM, and all PGI will do is "hey take this TAG and PPC and actually try while this guy can just run around missile proof with no effort, oh and also BAP, NARC, and Command Console do nothing, deal with it."

Edited by Team Leader, 13 April 2013 - 01:34 PM.

#20 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 13 April 2013 - 01:21 PM

View Postjay35, on 13 April 2013 - 01:14 PM, said:

...what this thread's about.

I expected a Roadbeer post. I got a serious post. ^_^

It's about as serious as I can get on a topic.
Trolling is serious business and I think it needs a poll.

View PostTeam Leader, on 13 April 2013 - 01:21 PM, said:

This is serious business and needs a poll.

Jinx, I owe you a coke.

Edited by Roadbeer, 13 April 2013 - 01:22 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users