Jump to content

Blackjack!


19 replies to this topic

#1 Fate 6

    Member

  • Elite Founder
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:47 AM

I'll get the anticipation started early.

BJ-2
2 Lasers
4 Missiles
Jump Jets
DHS

Add ES
2 ML
4 SRM6
Maxed out XL engine

PGI plz. Release mechs faster.

#2 Braggart

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:54 AM

depending on the size of the mech, It will either be decent, or utter garbage.

He has to be much smaller than the 50 ton mechs, so much smaller that it will be basically the size of the cicada. Any larger and it will be destroyed far to quickly.

time will tell, but I have a feeling that 45 tons will result in a mech that is to heavy to go fast enough to dodge and carry enough weapons, and be small enough to not easily destroy.

#3 Fate 6

    Member

  • Elite Founder
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:56 AM

View PostBraggart, on 16 April 2013 - 07:54 AM, said:

depending on the size of the mech, It will either be decent, or utter garbage.

He has to be much smaller than the 50 ton mechs, so much smaller that it will be basically the size of the cicada. Any larger and it will be destroyed far to quickly.

time will tell, but I have a feeling that 45 tons will result in a mech that is to heavy to go fast enough to dodge and carry enough weapons, and be small enough to not easily destroy.

Yes, size will be a huge factor. Hitboxes will as well.

But it will definitely be holding 4 SRM6s, no matter what I have to do to jam them in there.

#4 Culler

    Member

  • Elite Founder
  • 369 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:56 AM

Until missiles are fixed to being effective again, I'm not terribly excited for it. Until there is a ballistic weapon worth using under 5 tons, I'll not be terribly excited for it. The 6 energy variant seems solid as a JJ-capable mech with lots o lasers (and better capacity to use them than a Jenner-F), but that's really all it has going for it.

It's kinda slower and lighter than the Trebuchet, so it's hard to see what its niche will be. When SRMs get fixed the 4 SRM6 variant will be pretty deadly though, I think. The only problem will be that it's going to be very fragile, not very fast, but want to hug faces making it a high risk/high reward chassis. Are you really gonna want to get in a 2x AC/20 mech's face in this?

#5 Spheroid

    Member

  • Veteran Founder
  • Phoenix Talon
  • Phoenix Talon
  • 1,716 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:58 AM

No arm actuators is going to hurt it. Four streaks on a medium is the only thing that interests me...and the chassis quirks relative the Hunchbacks and Trebs.

#6 Artgathan

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Phoenix Overlord
  • Phoenix Overlord
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:58 AM

Does anyone else find it ironic that the Blackjack will be able to boat more missiles than the Trebuchet - the mech designed to boat missiles?

That said, Fate your build looks like it'll be pretty standard on the field. It'll be pretty devastating at short range.

Apart from that, I think the 2 X AC/2, 4 ML stock build could be decent with DHS and a slightly bigger engine as a direct-fire support mech (with short range firepower).

#7 Joseph Mallan

    Member

  • Elite Founder
  • 27,951 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:59 AM

BJ-3
2 PPC
4 Medium
6 Energy Hard points.
& Dubs.

#8 Avimimus

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:03 AM

The missile loadouts might interest me.

However, the only version that I'd really be interested in is the BJ-1x (8 medium lasers, 106 kph at the expense of losing the jumpjets - it'd be perfect for hunting lights).

#9 Bagheera

    Member

  • Elite Founder
  • 3,886 posts
  • LocationStrong and Pretty

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:06 AM

View PostArtgathan, on 16 April 2013 - 07:58 AM, said:

Does anyone else find it ironic that the Blackjack will be able to boat more missiles than the Trebuchet - the mech designed to boat missiles?


Ironic isn't the word you are looking for. The TBT got shafted because of the potential for a fast medium with lots of SRM racks. Of course it's all well and good for the Cent to have 3 missile hardpoints - without being gimped by tube count - but the actual missile support mech? Nope. Giving it the ability to carry more than 1 missile rack per physical launcher location was probably never on the table.

It's my fault. You should have seen the horrible things that could be done with the -4SP before it had it's third missile hardpoint removed - which was way before engine restrictions. :P

Is there a confirmation on which ones we are getting? There are enough variants that we could still see 3 versions without any of them being the BJ-2.

Edited by Bagheera, 16 April 2013 - 08:08 AM.


#10 Fate 6

    Member

  • Elite Founder
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:19 AM

View PostBagheera, on 16 April 2013 - 08:06 AM, said:


Ironic isn't the word you are looking for. The TBT got shafted because of the potential for a fast medium with lots of SRM racks. Of course it's all well and good for the Cent to have 3 missile hardpoints - without being gimped by tube count - but the actual missile support mech? Nope. Giving it the ability to carry more than 1 missile rack per physical launcher location was probably never on the table.

It's my fault. You should have seen the horrible things that could be done with the -4SP before it had it's third missile hardpoint removed - which was way before engine restrictions. :P

Is there a confirmation on which ones we are getting? There are enough variants that we could still see 3 versions without any of them being the BJ-2.

I would expect that we would get the BJ-2 as it is different from the other ones significantly. Definitely expecting 4 variants (possibly even 5, though I suspect the 1DC will get the shaft). I doubt many people will get the BJ if they don't release the 2 as one of the variants. I know I won't.

View PostCuller, on 16 April 2013 - 07:56 AM, said:

Are you really gonna want to get in a 2x AC/20 mech's face in this?

No fear.

#11 KinLuu

    Member

  • Legendary Founder
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:23 AM

Dual Gauss Jumpsniper.

iwanttobelieve.jpg

#12 Lazydrones541

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:23 AM

Looking forward to the Blackjack myself. I love mediums!!!

#13 Ozric

    Member

  • Elite Founder
  • 1,156 posts
  • LocationSunny Southsea

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:25 AM

Not interested. Should be my mighty Flea. QQ...












...QQ.

#14 Byk

    Member

  • Elite Founder
  • 257 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:26 AM

I'm excited for the Blackjack. I love jumpjets on medium mechs and I'm pretty sure I'll be able to make a build that I like. What worries me is that the Flea is getting pushed back. Probably because it'd just be doomed by the first Streak carrying light mech it comes across, with Streaks in their current form.

Edited by Byk, 16 April 2013 - 08:26 AM.


#15 Roland

    Member

  • Legendary Founder
  • 8,200 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:28 AM

View PostKinLuu, on 16 April 2013 - 08:23 AM, said:

Dual Gauss Jumpsniper.

iwanttobelieve.jpg

Good luck putting 30+ tons of weapons and armor on a 45 ton mech.

#16 KinLuu

    Member

  • Legendary Founder
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:30 AM

View PostRoland, on 16 April 2013 - 08:28 AM, said:

Good luck putting 30+ tons of weapons and armor on a 45 ton mech.


Yeah, I fear I will have to settle for one gauss and one ERPPC. :(

#17 Royalewithcheese

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:34 AM

It's possible the BJ-2 will only have 4 missile tubes per torso. But yeah, armless missile boat with jumpjets is probably the best role for the blackjack unless a viable ballistic for mediums shows up.

#18 Thuzel

    Member

  • Elite Founder
  • 598 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:43 AM

View PostKinLuu, on 16 April 2013 - 08:30 AM, said:

Yeah, I fear I will have to settle for one gauss and one ERPPC. :(


Just tried to model that one out, and it's not looking good. With standard 4/6/4 movement (64kph), XL engine, Endo, No Ferro (not enough crits), and 10 HS, you can fit in the gauss and ER PPC. But with maximum armor you literally have 0 tons free for ammo. You'll have to drop armor for ammo, and it won't be pretty.

-- Edit --

Should also point out that the jump jets at that weight class only weigh .5 tons each. So dropping the movement to 4/6/2 is a possibility, but you only gain one ton for that.

Edited by Thuzel, 16 April 2013 - 08:44 AM.


#19 General Taskeen

    Member

  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,615 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:07 AM

BJ-2 is 3052 folks. 2 ER LL, 4 SSRM2, 11 DHS, and 4 JJ's is what it comes with stock.

I guess you could ask PGI real nice like. Technicaly the BJ-2 was available in limited numbers as early as 3050.

We are at least getting BJ-1, Possible BJ-1DB, BJ-1DC, and BJ-3.

Edited by General Taskeen, 16 April 2013 - 09:07 AM.


#20 Hobo Dan

    Member

  • Elite Founder
  • Phoenix Guardian
  • Phoenix Guardian
  • 503 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationWest Virginia

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:12 AM

View PostKinLuu, on 16 April 2013 - 08:30 AM, said:

Yeah, I fear I will have to settle for one gauss and one ERPPC. :(


I run a TBT-7K with that load out and do great. Only difference is my TBT goes 106 kph and weighs 50 tons. This build for a 45 ton mech that is relatively slow for its weight will be difficult if not suicidal.





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users