#41 Nathan Foxbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:46 PM

View PostRubidiy, on 17 June 2013 - 11:28 AM, said:

PropagandaWar
Referring to Sarna, Kodiak's claws are purely aesthetic. Paw itself is indeed an armored front cover for laser weaponry in the hand. So claws are just a decoration. They're not a close combat weapon.

It lacks the hand actuator though. Only the model with 20 packs in the arms lacks hand actuators.

#42 9erRed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:14 PM

Greetings again,

Have been following the Mech build, and after hearing some of the "issues" of how the AMS works and loaded, might I suggest a design alternative.

Your current design may have too many barrels to accurately track and engage fast moving targets, if your going to feed belted ammo, it does not require that many barrels.

Suggestion:

Taken from current ground weapons tech, self contained, auto targeting, tracking, and firing, the C-Ram system. I'll post a few images to allow for detail reference if you should want to go with a design similar. (still belt fed and very high fire rate, absolutely stops anything at close range.)
Posted Image

Posted Image

And showing the volume of fire tracking a target. This is at about 1Km range
Posted Image

This weapon is based off the M61 Vulcan, see here for details. You can upsize it for Mech scale.

Posted Image

A similar design may solve the need for belted ammo, to feed this very hungry system. And it would go with the Clans and them "still" having the rotary auto cannons and the IS not.

All for now,
Use what you need,
9erRed

Edited by 9erRed, 17 June 2013 - 02:24 PM.

#43 Dirus Nigh

• 2,382 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:36 PM

This is way cool. Both fearsome and cuddly. Every Ghost Bear sibko kid is going to want one.

Really this looks good. I like your attention to detail on all of the parts.

#44 SVK Puskin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 822 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:00 PM

Keep it up, i am curious on the final version. ;)

#45 Senior Knight Steele

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 93 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:17 PM

This AMS discussion is silly. The in-game AMS is a Tylenol capsule on a stick. XD It's fine. The artist shouldn't be worrying himself with whether or not his AMS would really work based on how it looks. It's mounted on a giant robot bear! Keep up the good work. I love this thing, and I'm enjoying coming on the thread to check out the new stuff. I'm just disappointed because my UTTER HATRED OF THE EVIL CLAN SCUM will prevent me from imagining myself piloting it. X) Hehe.

#46 executor46

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:27 PM

very nice... i hope the devs are going to take your rendering man

#47 executor46

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:35 PM

View PostRubidiy, on 13 June 2013 - 12:33 PM, said:

AMS
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

i dont like the way it looks. make it LAMS instead.

#48 Rubidiy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:27 AM

View Post9erRed, on 17 June 2013 - 02:14 PM, said:

Greetings again,

Have been following the Mech build, and after hearing some of the "issues" of how the AMS works and loaded, might I suggest a design alternative.

I really share your desire to make Kodiak look as realistic as possible, but I desided not to repeat everything litterally 'cause, you know, it's future. :) Photos that you've posted are great! Really stopping myself from repeating them. As I said, I'm a 3D modelling noob. This means, that although I think I can create such weaponry in 3D, creation process will take ages and will force me to equally detalize an entire 'mech.
I was thinking about C-Ram like AMS, although it was not C-Ram. It was Kashtan-M. Unlike C-ram, Kashtan is being fed mechanically, not electronicly. It means that a lot of weight and energy is saved. C-ram is really huge and hungry for energy and it has separate artillery and missile towers. Kashtan has two artillery (5000rpm each) and missile emplacements in one.
Posted Image
Anyway, those are too huge for a biped tank. Firestorm is not. :D

#49 Rubidiy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:34 AM

executor46
sorry, but that would be no. Reasons were already discussed on previous page. :)

#50 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:47 AM

View PostRubidiy, on 18 June 2013 - 07:27 AM, said:

I really share your desire to make Kodiak look as realistic as possible, but I desided not to repeat everything litterally 'cause, you know, it's future. :) Photos that you've posted are great! Really stopping myself from repeating them. As I said, I'm a 3D modelling noob. This means, that although I think I can create such weaponry in 3D, creation process will take ages and will force me to equally detalize an entire 'mech.
I was thinking about C-Ram like AMS, although it was not C-Ram. It was Kashtan-M. Unlike C-ram, Kashtan is being fed mechanically, not electronicly. It means that a lot of weight and energy is saved. C-ram is really huge and hungry for energy and it has separate artillery and missile towers. Kashtan has two artillery (5000rpm each) and missile emplacements in one.
Posted Image
Anyway, those are too huge for a biped tank. Firestorm is not. :D

but I think I may have the basis for a Primitive Mech.........

#51 Rubidiy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:55 AM

View PostNathan Foxbane, on 17 June 2013 - 01:46 PM, said:

It lacks the hand actuator though.

It has both shoulder and elbow actuators. If you mean paw actuators, then I have no idea, why should it have these. :)
If you look closely to it's entire hand design, you'll see, how and where it moves, where it can contain heatsinks or ammunition. But main thing is, that it's hand is a platform for a laser weaponry. I'v posted images of how lasers are being installed. there's no reason and option for paw actuators. At least as I see it, and I'm trying to create something more realistic.

#52 Rubidiy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:11 AM

9erRed
I'll think about further detailing of ammo feeding system. This belted thing looks more sensible. But AMS itself will remain Firestorm-like. :)

#53 Rubidiy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:16 AM

Well, these are StreakSRM6 launchers. Left one is a built-in version with 6 shafts only, right one is installed in the slot which can be adjusted to use more missile shafts if needed.Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Rubidiy, 18 June 2013 - 08:22 AM.

#54 Rubidiy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:24 AM

I'm still thinking about misiile design, so they'll arrive later.

#55 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:00 AM

View PostRubidiy, on 18 June 2013 - 07:55 AM, said:

It has both shoulder and elbow actuators. If you mean paw actuators, then I have no idea, why should it have these. :)
If you look closely to it's entire hand design, you'll see, how and where it moves, where it can contain heatsinks or ammunition. But main thing is, that it's hand is a platform for a laser weaponry. I'v posted images of how lasers are being installed. there's no reason and option for paw actuators. At least as I see it, and I'm trying to create something more realistic.

Hands allow for better terrain handling (grasping a tree or wall to stop from tripping) and also to pick up and carry things, if needed. And while Clanners abstain from physical combat in mechs, the Kodiak is a second line mech, assigned to Freebirths, many of whom don't shy away from such things.

Either way it's your re-design, but I don't see where working hand actuators are a negative, and many many things that they would be useful for.

#56 Nathan Foxbane

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:01 AM

View PostRubidiy, on 18 June 2013 - 07:55 AM, said:

The original is a second line 'Mech designed for garrison work. Garrison duties have some more utilitarian demands where hand actuators are useful. The "claws" were just decorative armor plate that made the 'Mech appear more like its namesake. The hand actuators were removed when the KDK-V1 went into production.

#57 Rubidiy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:36 AM

Well, let's take it as my mistake, for I really haven't noticed any actuators on pictures of Kodiak I saw. Neither I knew about it's initial utilitarian duties. :D As I've said, it's entire hand is initially designed by me the way that excludes hand actuators.

9erRed
I know it looks a bit cheesy, but thing that prevents me from achieving better results is not my modelling skill. Thing is, that I could not find any scheme that explained mechanics of this belt thing. So far that's all I can. :)

Posted Image

#58 Nathan Foxbane

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:23 PM

View PostRubidiy, on 18 June 2013 - 11:36 AM, said:

Well, let's take it as my mistake, for I really haven't noticed any actuators on pictures of Kodiak I saw. Neither I knew about it's initial utilitarian duties. :( As I've said, it's entire hand is initially designed by me the way that excludes hand actuators.

9erRed
I know it looks a bit cheesy, but thing that prevents me from achieving better results is not my modelling skill. Thing is, that I could not find any scheme that explained mechanics of this belt thing. So far that's all I can. :)

Posted Image

Looks nice. The belt thing is just an encasement to keep the belt from twisting, jamming, and breaking, while the actual feed mechanisms are at either end to my knowledge.

As for the hands its an easy mistake, not so easy to fix from the looks of it though. The most common art either has the V1 version or depicts the hands poorly and even the TRO art has the mechanical design looking cumbersome. It can still look good without them. Perhaps bulking up the claws will give them a more robust bear like feel. As for the lack of hand, Trueborn and Freeborn clan mechwarriors alike consider melee combat dishonorable so you could claim artistic license and get away with it. Melee combat was the biggest game advantage hands gave as you lost to melee hit accuracy for some reason without them as well as penalties to certain other melee attacks like pushing and losing the ability to use clubs (trees, logs, street lamps, I-beams, severed 'Mech limbs) and hand held weapons (really rare anyways).

#59 Rubidiy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:23 PM

Posted Image

#60 xZaOx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:45 AM

Words cannot describe how insanely amazing this looks. Love the cockpit. You need to be hired by PGI so we can have this exact mech in game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users