MWO, Artemis, Joysticks, and MW4

41 replies to this topic

Poll: Joystick Use Poll (247 member(s) have cast votes)

Did you play MechWarrior 4?

1. Yes (234 votes [94.74%])

Percentage of vote: 94.74%

2. No (13 votes [5.26%])

Percentage of vote: 5.26%

Joystick use, choose the answer that best fits you:

1. I played MW4 with a joystick and I will play MWO with a joystick. (102 votes [41.30%])

Percentage of vote: 41.30%

2. I played MW4 with key and mouse and I will play MWO with key and mouse. (70 votes [28.34%])

Percentage of vote: 28.34%

3. I played MW4 with key and mouse, but I will play MWO with a joystick. (16 votes [6.48%])

Percentage of vote: 6.48%

4. I played MW4 with a joystick, but I will play MWO with key and mouse. (15 votes [6.07%])

Percentage of vote: 6.07%

5. I played other PC games with a joystick and I will being playing MWO with key and mouse. (2 votes [0.81%])

Percentage of vote: 0.81%

6. I played other PC games with a joystick and I will being playing MWO with a joystick. (9 votes [3.64%])

Percentage of vote: 3.64%

7. I played MW4, but I am not sure about what type of controller I will use. (18 votes [7.29%])

Percentage of vote: 7.29%

8. I played other PC games and I am not sure what type of controller I will use. (3 votes [1.21%])

Percentage of vote: 1.21%

9. I am new to PC gaming and I will use a joystick for MWO. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

10. I am new to PC gaming and I will use key and mouse to play MWO. (1 votes [0.40%])

Percentage of vote: 0.40%

11. I am new to PC gaming and I am not sure what I will use. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

12. I was a crazy CTFer or other crazy player who played MW4 with a key, mouse, and joystick all at the same time and I will do the same in MWO if it still works. (11 votes [4.45%])

Percentage of vote: 4.45%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 GrizzlyViking

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationMarik

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:26 PM

NOTE: This poll is for ALL players, not only for those who have played MW4.

Since the release of the Artemis concept I have seen some community members posting less than favorable responses about joysticks. It occurs to me that the majority of players that have played MW4 will have a different opinion of joystick use for MWO than those who have not played MW4. This poll intends to evaluate how MW4 affects player views about joystick controllers for MWO. I expect to see a much higher joystick favorability from MW4 players than form non-MW4 players due to the experience of playing MW4. Let's see how things turn out. Let the voting and discussion begin!

Edited by GrizzlyViking, 05 June 2012 - 04:53 PM.

#2 Kobold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,930 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:29 PM

I used a stick in MW4, but mouse in MW3. The main reason is MW3 had the free floating reticle. With MWO having a free reticle, mouse users will probably find they have far more accuracy.

I will probably have my thumb mouse button bound to lock/unlock the reticle (assuming it is an option) to transition between mouse torso control and mouse reticle control.*

* I am making an assumption about the control scheme here, but it doesn't seem unreasonable, given how it worked in MW3.

#3 Frostiken

• 1,156 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:29 PM

My demographic is not represented!

Racists.

#4 Telthalion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • LocationNevada, USA

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:35 PM

The last time I used a joystick for any sort of gaming was MW2: Mercenaries, back when it was the sexy new mechwarrior title.

At this point I've been using mouse/keyboard for so many years it'd be futile to even make the attempt to try using a joystick again.

#5 Stonewall

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationOn Point

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:37 PM

I used a joystick on MW4 but for everything else it was keyboard and mouse. For MWO, I'm just going to wait and see what my options are as far as controls. The Artemis doesn't look like its going to be in my budget and time soon.

#6 GrizzlyViking

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationMarik

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:38 PM

View PostFrostiken, on 05 June 2012 - 03:29 PM, said:

Racists.

lol everybody has either played MW4, played other PC games, or is new to PC gaming...exactly what demographic were you hoping for? :P And, I added a special category at the bottom for all 3...lol I used all 3 too.

Edited by GrizzlyViking, 05 June 2012 - 05:20 PM.

#7 Motionless

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 450 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:39 PM

more like killjoy-stick.

#8 Bleakheart

• PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:52 PM

For $20, I can add my extra 360 controller to my PC. Between that, my Nostromo, Mouse, and Keyboard, I'll have plenty of options as to how I work this out. The Artemis looks cool, but I find large control sticks very clunky by comparison to a thumbtwitch setup like a gamepad.

#9 GrizzlyViking

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationMarik

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:56 PM

The most surprising thing so far is that the vast majority of community members played MW4. I expected to see about half MW4 and half non-MW4.

#10 Joeseph Pierce

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 107 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:57 PM

Well, if the screen on the Artemis is a touch screen (which is a possibility), then i will definitively use that. however, if it isn't, then i will use the hat switch (maybe the Artemis "nostromo" has one like the original?) for the free floating reticule. i am building a simpit, so i'm using joysticks and throttles.

#11 GrimFist

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationAlter-Ego - Death Watch Warship - Retribution - Ageis class (M)

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:07 PM

I think these questions are premature.

The vendor identifed is not a proven leader. Why spend anything until I know it's worth it?

Same to be said about MWO. Until I know it works and makes me happy you going to get the mouse and keyboard until I see the value in getting a joystick.

I was looking at logitech or the old but true Thrustmaster, heck I have an old thrustmaster and if my new puter had an old serial port I bet it would work. It does not, so if I get a new one I do.

I need to know to see MWO and the feedback from those who use em before I spend money on anything facny.

#12 Zoggy

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:07 PM

I have preferred a joystick in all mech warrior games of the past. Some responded better than others allowing different allocations of keys. I have about 13 different buttons and a throttle. Keeping fingers crossed to use it or better again.

#13 GrizzlyViking

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationMarik

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:38 PM

View PostGrimFist, on 05 June 2012 - 04:07 PM, said:

I think these questions are premature.

The vendor identifed is not a proven leader. Why spend anything until I know it's worth it?

Same to be said about MWO. Until I know it works and makes me happy you going to get the mouse and keyboard until I see the value in getting a joystick.

I was looking at logitech or the old but true Thrustmaster, heck I have an old thrustmaster and if my new puter had an old serial port I bet it would work. It does not, so if I get a new one I do.

I need to know to see MWO and the feedback from those who use em before I spend money on anything facny.

I can see your point here. As for me, I picked up a reasonably priced Logitech JS to get started simply because when I played MW4 I really could not function well without my JS. I have already decided to buy the Founders Pack and there is nothing I have seen that indicates any reason not to jump right into it. I have been waiting a lot of years to jump back into a Mech and that is exactly what I intend to do.

#14 Deaths Charger

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:48 PM

dude u can get usb to serail crossover converters lol. but ill my saitek cyborg evo to play

#15 Guru Zeb

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 139 posts
  • LocationUK Up North

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:53 PM

View PostFrostiken, on 05 June 2012 - 03:29 PM, said:

Racists.

Yeah i hate to sound like am supporting Frostiken ............... but he speaks the truth .......... you are a racist !!!!!
My demographic is also unsupported in your imperialistic poll.

I have been using Mouse for torso twist/Aiming and a variety of HOTAS throttles (please note Throttle only not flight stick)
For throttle and turning +extra keys for important stuff like 8 track and disco ball light colour change.

Any attempts at not accepting your new status as imperialist racist will just prove you are not only racist but in denial too !!!! :P

View PostMopar, on 05 June 2012 - 04:46 PM, said:

I have to tell you that while the idea of the Artemis is really neat I HATE that razor is doing it. Thier products of late, sepcially their game specific products feel and perform like toys. They have no durability, the quality is really low. When you realis that the Saitek X52 will do everything this will do except the screen and will likely cost a lot less makes you wonder about it. You wander even more when you actually use an X52 which is a very solidly build product.

Mopar speaks with great wisdom............

#16 GrizzlyViking

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationMarik

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:57 PM

View PostGuru Zeb, on 05 June 2012 - 04:53 PM, said:

Yeah i hate to sound like am supporting Frostiken ............... but he speaks the truth .......... you are a racist !!!!!
My demographic is also unsupported in your imperialistic poll.

I have been using Mouse for torso twist/Aiming and a variety of HOTAS throttles (please note Throttle only not flight stick)
For throttle and turning +extra keys for important stuff like 8 track and disco ball light colour change.

Any attempts at not accepting your new status as imperialist racist will just prove you are not only racist but in denial too !!!! ;)

I will accept your label of imperialist, but I am not racist...I am merely a bigot. :P

Edited by GrizzlyViking, 05 June 2012 - 04:58 PM.

#17 Guru Zeb

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 139 posts
  • LocationUK Up North

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:03 PM

View PostDeaths Charger, on 05 June 2012 - 04:48 PM, said:

dude u can get usb to serail crossover converters lol.

Yeah which mostly don't work under Windows7 at all, if they do most sticks get reduced to basic 2-6 button sticks.
I know of no usb to serial adapters that allow any form of controller programming as is standard on all decent sticks/HOTAS.
I speak from direct experience as i actually use one of the few USB adapter HOTAS combos that gives near
full functionality, the old CH pro throtttle+F16 flight/fighter stick with RockFire usb adapter you get full function but you still need a XP box to program your HOTAS config as the program software won't touch Windows7.

Edited by Guru Zeb, 05 June 2012 - 05:15 PM.

#18 Zensei

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 605 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:07 PM

Always, Always, Always used a Joystick in MW, if I have no choice then of course I'll have to learn and use whats available but the joystick had everything I needed in what 8 to 10 buttons, throttle and twisting handle until I killed the **** out of it and had to buy another, brand never mattered to much.

But once upon a time there was the Space Orb 360 http://www.hanselman...dOrbShield.aspx I still have 2 of them, 1 working 1 not so much, nothing could touch this thing in Descent or Quake, I never got to use it for MW but it was the best controller I ever used.

#19 Red October911

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cadet
  • Cadet
  • 211 posts
  • LocationMTL,Quebec

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:09 PM

I'm not quite sure, on one hand i would love to get it cuz it looks so damned awesome(and I would like to give this company the money it so rightfully deserves for bringing back BT)

On the other hand, I got no job, no clue if the artemis would work on my laptop and parents that, if they would see it, would flip sh*t cuz they'll think i'll have wasted just more of my money on the already loads of things i spend my money on...

Decisions, decisions, decisions...

#20 GrizzlyViking

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationMarik

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:33 PM

View PostZensei, on 05 June 2012 - 05:07 PM, said:

Always, Always, Always used a Joystick in MW, if I have no choice then of course I'll have to learn and use whats available but the joystick had everything I needed in what 8 to 10 buttons, throttle and twisting handle until I killed the **** out of it and had to buy another, brand never mattered to much.

But once upon a time there was the Space Orb 360 http://www.hanselman...dOrbShield.aspx I still have 2 of them, 1 working 1 not so much, nothing could touch this thing in Descent or Quake, I never got to use it for MW but it was the best controller I ever used.

I never heard of the Space Orb 360 until your post. That is interesting and looks like it was a well made controller. The conversion kit for it is also pretty cool. I won't be going out to get one, but the uniqueness of the Space Orb 360 is very cool.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users