• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:30 PM

Also: "How to use LRMs in the age of ECM spam"

Also: "How to be a good LRM boat"

Having played this game only a couple months, I managed to wisely buy an LRM boat right about the time ECM dominance came into play. After going through a couple builds, playing a few games, watching what others were doing, and sobbing to myself as a Jenner once again took me down, I settled on a few general rules for an LRM boat and making them work.

In the vein of Void Angel's post on how to work with the team Atlas (http://mwomercs.com/...fracking-atlas/), it seemed like something similar was called for with LRM boats.

Here's ten tips for helping people just getting into LRM boating:
  • You are a support mech. This is the hardest part to get over: you will rarely dominate a game in this role. That's the thing you have to understand - you are a SUPPORT mech: you support your team, not dominate it. What this means is that you will usually not be raking in the kills or the c-bills, but you will be helping your team win matches.
  • Don't get tunnel vision. This one is hard to do - you want that kill, after all, but one of the advantages of an LRM is the indirect fire aspect and the fact they have such huge range. This falls under the "support" portion of your role: you may end up with only one kill (or less), but you might end up with six or more assists. You do that, you're doing your job. Be an opportune feeder, switch targets as they become available. Later in the match, you can focus on specific targets, accurately nailing the annoying Jenner, putting constant pressure on the big assault mech, focusing fire. Be aware. Early in a match, I'll usually be switching targets constantly as they pop into the open and teammates target them - launch a volley here, launch a volley there; they'll sometimes hunker down, sometimes shoot their own LRMs back (especially if you're not under an ECM bubble), but eventually, your team will drive them into the open.
  • Keep moving forward. Now this doesn't necessarily mean you have to be the center of attention, but if you hide out 1000m away and launch and launch and launch, you aren't going to be able to do enough damage and provide enough support to really help. And with most of the maps, there's enough cover that once someone realizes they're being targeted, they'll seek cover - you'll need to keep maneuvering to pick out targets. Also, it helps if you...
  • Have backup weapons. Don't JUST have LRMs. Even if you just have a pair of Medium or Small Lasers, that's better than nothing. Eventually, the fight WILL get up close and personal - you'll either bump into a scout, the fight will roll your way, and so on. If you have backup weapons, you can still help out. If you are in an assault mech, this is especially true. Maybe once the game goes gold, you can super-specialize, but we're not there yet. Even in games were I did very well, I've never had a game in MWO where I did not end up with someone in my grill. LRMs have the habit of peppering a target with a lot of hits, but usually won't take someone down unless you or someone else is using a TAG (or they're dumb enough to stand in one spot). You'll hurt someone, but in order to kill them, you'll need something else (and hopefully a teammate or two).
  • Artemis is worth it. Combined with #6, Artemis is real effective at bringing down a hail of missiles on someone. Combined with a TAG, it becomes real effective at bringing a target down.
  • Take a TAG. Maybe once this game goes gold, and you're playing on a regular team, this one won't be as necessary, as you'll have teammates filling roles. In pick-up games, though, you can't rely on it. A TAG can make all the difference in the world while "making it rain" on a quick-moving scout mech; either slamming into their legs, or popping harmlessly behind them. There's nothing more satisfying than watching a Jenner run away from your missiles only to watch them skim along the ground and chase them down. An added bonus is that anyone else on your team with missiles, LRMs or SRMs, will benefit from it.
  • Take a Beagle Active Probe (BAP). This one's not as necessary as a TAG, but is still very useful. With the balancing between BAP and ECM, this one might have become more necessary. The BAP helps in that support role, as well as making you more effective at targeting the enemy; you can detect them from farther off.
  • 1000 meters. More than any other weapon, pay attention to the range to target. You shoot a PPC at a target that's out of range, who cares? But with an LRM, you just wasted a good bit of ammo. Be patient, wait until the range hits 1000m, then let fly.
  • 180 meters. Why am I bringing this up? This is the minimum distance LRMs can be used: they do not arm inside 180m. This is something to keep in mind as you waddle up to the battlefield: if someone notices you and starts walking in your direction, backing up for a little bit and keeping them outside that 180m range for a few more steps might be the difference in a match. Once they're inside it, switch to your backup weapons and hope you've either hurt them enough or that your teammates are paying attention.
  • LOCK YOUR TARGET. This one applies in every situation, but hit "r" every time you shoot at something. Not only does this light them up for allies, but it allows you to lock on your own missiles. Seems like a no-brainer, but after spectating a few matches, I feel I need to mention it.
I'm sure I missed a few, but 10's a nice, round number. Your tips/tricks/observations? Do you think I'm an *****? Let it rain below.

#2 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:56 PM

As a catapult lrm boater this is a pretty good guide. I find tag to be optional along with ams. As noted above keep close to the team or you'll find yourself easy pickings for enemy lights or the wandering enemy heavy/med mech. I couldn't get smurfy to work so I made a smiple cut n paste of my founder c1. I've got all the cats and they pretty much are slight variations of this loadout except for the k2 set up as the ac 20 cat.

Catapult C1-Founders (no aims or tag version)

speed 64.8
tons 64.5
firepower 41.0
heat 1.21
armor standard 384/422
structure endo steel
jump dist 6meters

equipment
dbl heat sinks x12 (ten in engine)
std engine 260
case x1
jump jets 1 of 4
beagle active probe x1

armament (weapons)
2 med laser in center torso
1 med laser in side torso
lrm 15 x1 each arm

mech slot loadout

right side torso

jump jet x 1
double heat sink x1
beagle active probe x1

left side torso

case x1
double heat sink x1
lrm + arty 5 x5

armor values
head 18
center toso 46
center torso rear 38
right torso 28
right torso rear 32
left roso 28
left torso rear 32
right arm 40
left arm 40
right leg 41
left leg 41

modules
adv target decay
360 target retention
adv sensor range

#3 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:48 PM

I've always wanted to try out a Cat. That's probably going to be the next mech I go to after Eliting my Stalkers.

#4 Raptor6789

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:12 PM

View PostDawnstealer, on 06 May 2013 - 02:30 PM, said:

• 1000 meters. More than any other weapon, pay attention to the range to target. You shoot a PPC at a target that's out of range, who cares? But with an LRM, you just wasted a good bit of ammo. Be patient, wait until the range hits 1000m, then let fly.

I would like to disagree. Even though LRM max range is stated at 1000 m, that's hardly the optimal engagement range. Longer ranges give people more time to take cover, making almost all of your shots useless. Unless I want to fire just a few missiles to keep people in one place without the intention of hitting anyone (though the negligible damage these days makes that strategy pretty useless), the maximum range I'll fire at is around 750 m. If I have Artemis or TAG, I'd probably like to get into even closer ranges or at least LOS to get maximum damage output. Of course, this is easier on more mobile platforms.

#5 Cyntric

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:11 AM

I've been grinding exp for my C4, I've learned a few things.

I run
XL 300
Double sinks + Endo
2 x LRM 15's (1 in each arm) + Artemis
2 x Streaks (1 in each arm)
2 x Medium Lasers (center torso)
Max armor (give or take a few in the legs)
BAP
JJs

When i first got my mech i was hiding and shooting at everything i locked onto. Seriously, i was doing well do get 150 damage. After playing my K2, i've gotten better at getting up close and personal. Now providing suppressive fire (about all your doing 800+ meters out) can be great for your teamates sometimes. But The range i've found is my sweet spot is around 200-250. Find a good spot behind your big boys and use your whole arsenal. Yes, i like to be around 500 as well just for missle spams. But when you unload everything at about 225 it suprising does alot of damage. I've fallen in love with streaks, and when combined with 2 medium lasers provides just enough to run lights off your tail. Just because your can equip LRM's doesn't mean you have to hide with them... Put some armor on your CT (i run 66-68) and go get some... I know someone will tell me i'm wrong. But this is the only way i've found to enjoy the misslepults while grinding exp.

Edited by Cyntric, 10 May 2013 - 06:14 AM.

#6 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:59 PM

View PostRaptor6789, on 09 May 2013 - 06:12 PM, said:

I would like to disagree. Even though LRM max range is stated at 1000 m, that's hardly the optimal engagement range. Longer ranges give people more time to take cover, making almost all of your shots useless. Unless I want to fire just a few missiles to keep people in one place without the intention of hitting anyone (though the negligible damage these days makes that strategy pretty useless), the maximum range I'll fire at is around 750 m. If I have Artemis or TAG, I'd probably like to get into even closer ranges or at least LOS to get maximum damage output. Of course, this is easier on more mobile platforms.

I agree with that - my point was don't open up until you've hit that 1000m point. I'll see people shooting off LRMs when they see someone, regardless of how far away they are. 1100m, 1200m, further: doesn't matter - they're shooting.

I'll usually start popping off once someone hits the 950m mark, as they'll have a hard time getting out of range before the missiles get there. This is especially true if they're already engaged with a faster teammate; their first sign that LRMs are on their way is when they start getting hammered into the ground.

Keep in mind I also advocate continuously moving forward while shooting. I'm not saying get to 1000m and then stop: you get to 1000m (or a bit closer), and then keep firing as you close the distance. And yes: those shots will get more accurate the closer you get.

#7 Gaan Cathal

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:40 PM

View PostRaptor6789, on 09 May 2013 - 06:12 PM, said:

... the maximum range I'll fire at is around 750 m. If I have Artemis or TAG, I'd probably like to get into even closer ranges or at least LOS to get maximum damage output...

Frankly, if you're using LRMs you should be aiming to engage with LOS and under 750 or you're wasting ammunition. Only launch at non-LOS targets if they're TAGed. (Of course, until they properly fix the splash thing they're essentially nerf-bullets.)

#8 Red squirrel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:37 AM

Only thing to add:

"I love the C1 Cat"
With its 4 stock med las and the jump jets it is still usefull after you used all your ammo / lost your ears.
And dont forget to equip advanced sensor range and advanced target decay.

CPLT-C1

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users