Framerate Problems

24 replies to this topic

#1 CryBeat

Rookie

• 5 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:46 AM

Hello,

I have problems with my framerate which is located at about 15-20fps.

Here are my Systeminformations (Laptop) :

CPU : Intel i5-480m (2,66Ghz)
GPU : Ati Radeon HD 5650 (1GB Videoram)
RAM : 4GB ddr-3
Harddrive : 500gb SATA

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

I'm playing on the lowest possible graphic settings. (All low/off with 1024x720 resolution)

I can run other games like Crysis 2, Battlefield Bad Company 2, World of Tanks on Medium Settings and 1366x768 resolution with ~38fps.

So what is my Problem ?
Is my Laptop to slowly or should it normally run the game smoother ?

Thanks in advance. ;)

PS: Sorry for my english :P

Edited by CryBeat, 20 May 2013 - 02:48 AM.

#2 Fully Automatic Taxidea Taxus

• Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationDead.

Posted 20 May 2013 - 03:27 AM

It's most likely RAM and VRAM. This game has poor optimization compared to Planetside 2 or Blacklight: Retribution.

#3 Sasha Volkova

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Gunjin
  • Gunjin
  • 449 posts
  • LocationThe Void

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:21 AM

Honestly I would go with RAM being the main issue as this game is known to suffer from memory leaks and other interesting things.

Try getting another rack of 4GB ram or if you dont have the RAM slots just put in a whole 8GB slot instead of your current 4GB, RAM these days are super cheap so it should be possible to buy it without going bankrupt.
Just be sure your board can support it since if not then its wasted money :b

Hope this is useful for you.

((Edit: I was running the game on my old laptop which had the same Ati Radeon HD 5650, I had 8GB ram installed and was able to run the game around 15-25fps - But I had alot smaller CPU so going to 8GB ram for you could push you up to a possible steady 20-30fps which would be a massive improvement compared to your current 15-20fps))

Edited by 0okami, 20 May 2013 - 05:25 AM.

#4 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:33 AM

The 480m is a dual core CPU with Hyperthread enabled while the ATI (mobility, not desktop) 5650 is at the min requirements.

What you are seeing is the best it will get with that laptop.

MechWarrior Online tentative minimum requirements:
CPU: Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz / Athlon II X2 245e
GPU: GeForce 8800GT / Radeon HD 5600/5700
RAM: 4 GB
DirectX: DX9
HDD Space: 4 GB

#5 Badconduct

Dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 364 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:18 AM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 20 May 2013 - 05:33 AM, said:

The 480m is a dual core CPU with Hyperthread enabled while the ATI (mobility, not desktop) 5650 is at the min requirements.

What you are seeing is the best it will get with that laptop.

38FPS isn't great either.
It's also a lap top, so the GPU is most likely sharing the RAM with the CPU. Laptops aren't minimum requirements, they are generally a little slower than their desktop counterpart.

#6 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:35 AM

The Mobility 5650 does have 1GB of dedicated memory, it's just not a very fast card by today's standards, about equal to a desktop 5550 (it has 25% more stream processors, but is 22% lower clocked). My laptop is that age, but has slightly higher-end components, and I have to play at low settings on that machine, too.

One thing I can say, it's definitely not the RAM. MWO is still a 32-bit application, and not large-address-aware as far as I know, so no matter what, it can only use up to 2GB of RAM, and I've never seen it use more than around 1.5GB (breathing room, since it would crash the moment it passed 2)

I have a high end system that's still using 4GB of RAM, recycled from its predecessor. I still breeze through at max settings with minimums in the 60s (averages in the 90s, maybe?), mostly thanks to the CPU OC.

Edited by Catamount, 20 May 2013 - 08:39 AM.

#7 Badconduct

Dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 364 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:54 AM

View PostCatamount, on 20 May 2013 - 08:35 AM, said:

The Mobility 5650 does have 1GB of dedicated memory, it's just not a very fast card by today's standards, about equal to a desktop 5550 (it has 25% more stream processors, but is 22% lower clocked). My laptop is that age, but has slightly higher-end components, and I have to play at low settings on that machine, too.

One thing I can say, it's definitely not the RAM. MWO is still a 32-bit application, and not large-address-aware as far as I know, so no matter what, it can only use up to 2GB of RAM, and I've never seen it use more than around 1.5GB (breathing room, since it would crash the moment it passed 2)

I have a high end system that's still using 4GB of RAM, recycled from its predecessor. I still breeze through at max settings with minimums in the 60s (averages in the 90s, maybe?), mostly thanks to the CPU OC.

I found this game more GPU than CPU dependent. I switched from a 4.0 Phenom II 965 to a 4.7 FX8350 and the difference there was about 10 FPS. Going from my 6950 to a 670 made a huge boost.

#8 ratgoat

• PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:00 AM

Something happened this last patch that is wrecking frame rates on Radeon cards or at least the mobile ones.

I have a feeling it has to do with the smoke effect from mech corpses or the environment. Many times I have watched my frame rate stutter around smoke.

Before this patch I was running at High settings, I never checked my frame rate before but then again I never needed to.

Now I have to run everything at low and I STILL drop well below 20fps at times.

I have a Radeon HD 6990M, Intel I7, 8 gigs of ram....

#9 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:04 AM

View PostBadconduct, on 20 May 2013 - 08:54 AM, said:

I found this game more GPU than CPU dependent. I switched from a 4.0 Phenom II 965 to a 4.7 FX8350 and the difference there was about 10 FPS. Going from my 6950 to a 670 made a huge boost.

An 8350 is not notably faster for gaming than a Phenom II, because the per-core performance of Bulldozer/Piledriver is very lacking, and most games, including MWO, don't take advantage of the 8 cores to make up for it... yet (long term I think that CPU will work out better than it does now). On the other hand, a 6950 probably isn't quite fast enough to fun this game at the highest settings, so a 670 is a meaningful upgrade.

Nevertheless, MWO is CPU-bound, in general, not GPU-bound. I had a Phenom II X4 965, too, only I went down the Intel path and upgraded to a Core i5 3570k, and then OCed the i5 to from 3.6 (max 4 core turbo) to a modest 4.2. My minimum framerates jumped from the high 20s to the low 60s. In fact, I actually demonstrated in a thread a few months ago that the game easily bottlenecked on a stock 3570k, being dragged to well below 60fps. That thread's still around, if burried, but the cliffnotes version is that I varied the settings between medium at 1080P and low at 1024x768 on a Radeon HD 5850, and the minimum fps was in the mid 40s in both cases (even when the GPU was capable of outputting over 200fps, and often did during that match). Now, even the OCed 3570k is probably greatly holding back my 7970. Perhaps I'll test that sometime.

We've known that MWO is mostly CPU-bottlenecked since CB, and suspected before beta even came out that it would work out like that, because CE3 in DX9 is a CPU hog, not a GPU hog.

Edited by Catamount, 20 May 2013 - 09:06 AM.

#10 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:09 AM

View Postratgoat, on 20 May 2013 - 09:00 AM, said:

Something happened this last patch that is wrecking frame rates on Radeon cards or at least the mobile ones.

I have a feeling it has to do with the smoke effect from mech corpses or the environment. Many times I have watched my frame rate stutter around smoke.

Before this patch I was running at High settings, I never checked my frame rate before but then again I never needed to.

Now I have to run everything at low and I STILL drop well below 20fps at times.

I have a Radeon HD 6990M, Intel I7, 8 gigs of ram....

Yeah, that's way too slow, at least if that's a Sandy Bridge i7. What model of CPU is it, exactly?
There are some methods of bug fixes that might help there, but I could offer no promises. A long-running fix has been removing the film grain filter with an add-on file, because the filter causes the engine trouble (that may or may not still be relevant with recent bug fixes), and running the game in Full Window mode instead of the extremely buggy Fullscreen mode is something that also alleviates a number of problems.

#11 ratgoat

• PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:35 AM

I have to check the version of i7 i have when I get home. Thanks for the suggestions I will give those a whirl.

I tried the running the MWO repair tool and reinstalled the game as well.

#12 Badconduct

Dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 364 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:15 AM

View PostCatamount, on 20 May 2013 - 09:04 AM, said:

An 8350 is not notably faster for gaming than a Phenom II, because the per-core performance of Bulldozer/Piledriver is very lacking, and most games, including MWO, don't take advantage of the 8 cores to make up for it... yet (long term I think that CPU will work out better than it does now). On the other hand, a 6950 probably isn't quite fast enough to fun this game at the highest settings, so a 670 is a meaningful upgrade.

Nevertheless, MWO is CPU-bound, in general, not GPU-bound. I had a Phenom II X4 965, too, only I went down the Intel path and upgraded to a Core i5 3570k, and then OCed the i5 to from 3.6 (max 4 core turbo) to a modest 4.2. My minimum framerates jumped from the high 20s to the low 60s. In fact, I actually demonstrated in a thread a few months ago that the game easily bottlenecked on a stock 3570k, being dragged to well below 60fps. That thread's still around, if burried, but the cliffnotes version is that I varied the settings between medium at 1080P and low at 1024x768 on a Radeon HD 5850, and the minimum fps was in the mid 40s in both cases (even when the GPU was capable of outputting over 200fps, and often did during that match). Now, even the OCed 3570k is probably greatly holding back my 7970. Perhaps I'll test that sometime.

We've known that MWO is mostly CPU-bottlenecked since CB, and suspected before beta even came out that it would work out like that, because CE3 in DX9 is a CPU hog, not a GPU hog.

Look at the Cyrsis 3 benchmarks though, 8350 is right up there with the i7, (Other then just curiosity and fun) I got the FX 8350 assuming more programs will take advantage of the cores rather then depend on higher single threads.

#13 CryBeat

Rookie

• 5 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:53 PM

At first I want thank you all for your answers. ;)

But something weird happened with my FPS. (Probably it is because I have defragmented my hard drive)

Now I get at the start of a round about 27-32 fps. (All low except of Textures (Medium) and Resolution (1280x720))
But when the fight is starting the FPS drops to 19-24 fps.

I think I will upgrade my RAM. (I already expected that I will anytime have to upgrade it.. :D )

The date comes closer and closer when I have to buy a new laptop...

Edited by CryBeat, 20 May 2013 - 01:02 PM.

#14 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:05 PM

View PostBadconduct, on 20 May 2013 - 10:15 AM, said:

Look at the Cyrsis 3 benchmarks though, 8350 is right up there with the i7, (Other then just curiosity and fun) I got the FX 8350 assuming more programs will take advantage of the cores rather then depend on higher single threads.

That's definitely a strong possibility down the road; it's just that MWO uses an existing engine that only makes partial use of any cores past 4 (it appears to get a small benefit from 6ish; I'm not sure about 8 vs 6).

#15 Badconduct

Dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 364 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:47 PM

View PostCatamount, on 20 May 2013 - 01:05 PM, said:

That's definitely a strong possibility down the road; it's just that MWO uses an existing engine that only makes partial use of any cores past 4 (it appears to get a small benefit from 6ish; I'm not sure about 8 vs 6).

Same engine, no?

#16 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:15 PM

View PostBadconduct, on 20 May 2013 - 07:47 PM, said:

Same engine, no?

Between MWO and Crysis 3? Yes, they both use CE3. There's no evidence of significant multithreading beyond 4 threads in MWO, however. I can't speak to Crysis 3, because I haven't' looked at the benchmarks, but this is how MWO behaves:

Posted Image

The 8150, despite its enormous processing power, isn't faster than even Nehalem i5s and i7s. You'll also note that the 6 core i73930k is slower than the four core and four thread i5 2500k, again showing no significant use of more than 4 cores.

Here's what's more important though: NONE of these CPUs manage 60 fps. Any GPU that's at the level of a GTX 660 or 7870 can manage 60fps at max settings in the game, but no stock CPU can.

Here's what the GPU distribution looks like:

Posted Image

Again, note that even a modern midrange GPU can manage 60fps average on "Very High" at 1080P, but look at the CPU they had to use to even test their GPUs! ;)

They had to overclock a 3930k to 4.8ghz just to be able to get fast enough framerates, CPU-side, to be able to even test higher end GPUs, because that's what it takes to not be always bogged down below 60fps. Had they instead used a stock 3930k, or even a higher clocked 2600k, all GPUs from the 660 on upward would have shown the same framerate.

So the game can be GPU-limited, in the sense that there are GPUs that can't run the game at 60fps, but it's far more CPU-bound, at least compared to most games, in the sense that no CPU can run it at 60, and midrange CPUs have a hard time managing more than the 40s, and those are averages. Minimums are 20s for midrange CPUs, and 30 or 40s for high end CPUs! I've observed in look at this issue myself that those minimums are basically just what you constantly hit anytime one has a lot of mechs moving around them. As compared to most games, MWO bottlenecks on CPUs much faster vs GPUs, so a computer that might be GPU-bound in, say, Crysis or Metro 2033 might well instead by CPU-bound in MWO. Because gaming systems generally pair CPUs and GPUs of roughly equivalent quality -one is not genreally going to get a super high end CPU and mediocre GPU, or do the reverse- most gaming systems, regardless of age, are CPU-bottlenecked at present.

This is standard behavior for CE3 in DX9. Crysis 2 behaves the same way in DX9:

Posted Image

but CE3 loses all CPU-dependence in DX11:

http://www.guru3d.co...e_review,8.html

Note that in that link, an Athlon II X4 is only a few fps off an i7 2600k at 1080P

Edit: Note in the second chart, at 4.8ghz, that 3930k is STILL bottlenecking those setups! Notice the 62fps minimum is the same across all higher-end GPUs.

Posted Image

Edited by Catamount, 21 May 2013 - 07:29 AM.

#17 Badconduct

Dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 364 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:03 AM

View PostCryBeat, on 20 May 2013 - 12:53 PM, said:

At first I want thank you all for your answers. :D

But something weird happened with my FPS. (Probably it is because I have defragmented my hard drive)

Now I get at the start of a round about 27-32 fps. (All low except of Textures (Medium) and Resolution (1280x720))
But when the fight is starting the FPS drops to 19-24 fps.

I think I will upgrade my RAM. (I already expected that I will anytime have to upgrade it.. :D )

The date comes closer and closer when I have to buy a new laptop...

Defrag has nothing to do with your FPS, will only impact the speed Windows loads programs from the HD and puts them into the RAM. Load times only.

Yah, you're on a laptop. It's your CPU.

Don't buy a laptop for gaming. Buy a Desktop, you'll never get the performance you want from a laptop.

#18 Badconduct

Dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 364 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:10 AM

View PostCatamount, on 20 May 2013 - 08:15 PM, said:

Note that in that link, an Athlon II X4 is only a few fps off an i7 2600k at 1080P

Makes sense DX9 gives MWO no love.

I imagine this will improve in DX11.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#19 Jalik

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 199 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:18 AM

View PostCryBeat, on 20 May 2013 - 02:46 AM, said:

Hello,

I have problems with my framerate which is located at about 15-20fps.

Here are my Systeminformations (Laptop) :

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

I'm playing on the lowest possible graphic settings. (All low/off with 1024x720 resolution)

in my eyes your frame rates should be higher. believe it or not, I'm running the game (lowest settings) on a C2D E8500, HD4850, 4GB DDR2 and Win8 64: From time to time I have noticable stutters but usually I get from 20 to 40 fps depending on the situation. In close combat 15 to 25 maybe and my machine is worse than yours.

edit: sorry, didnt see the second post. that sounds more like what you should get from your hardware.
actually, next month my PC will see the first upgrade (CPU). hope it will cure the stutters.

Edited by Jalik, 21 May 2013 - 06:20 AM.

#20 Grimmnyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:25 AM

Sorry, it is your GPU and if you have a laptop, it will be a costly upgrade (new computer). Stop comparing this game to older games, it is not the same. 15-20FPS out of an older Mobility Radeon is actually pretty good. RAM will not help you unless you have less than 3GB, or you run allot of stuff in the background and your CPU is decent.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users