Seismic Is Lord

181 replies to this topic

#21 Tie Ma

Clone

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:21 PM

with the recent hit detection changes. apparently light mechs needed ANOTHER nerf.

thanks PGI.

#22 Soy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,689 posts
  • Locationtrue Lord system

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:23 PM

OR you could use your light with a seismic to actually, you know, scout.

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!?

#23 Rigiroth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 350 posts
  • LocationValhala

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:32 PM

They've added a rear view mirror! And it is a stupidly complex reasoning behind it (It is simple, but who in their right mind carries around a seismograph with them?)

#24 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:45 PM

View PostSoy, on 21 May 2013 - 01:23 PM, said:

OR you could use your light with a seismic to actually, you know, scout.

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!?

I don't need a 35-ton pair of binoculars on legs to tell me that the enemy is still camping behind the ridge.

Also, this whole "lights are scouts only" business is flat-out wrong from a lore standpoint. A lot of lights in Battelech did indeed scout and some were even scout-only, but there were also a lot of combat lights built for the specific purpose of killing or otherwise dealing damage. They were a very versatile class just like mediums that could be used for a lot of different roles due to low cost to build and repair.

EDIT: I'm guessing that a likely response to this will be "but Fuddy Duddy, MWO isn't TT so the light mech's role should be different than TT!" That's a very valid point, but remember that MWO currently doesn't support scouting as having any tangible impact on gameplay at all most of the time. People simply camp in one place too often, and if you lack ECM you are too easy to spot and destroy. You also don't get jack shiznit for payment for your troubles. If something doesn't help their team and doesn't even give them spacebucks, human nature dictates that people will avoid that activity.

Edited by FupDup, 21 May 2013 - 01:49 PM.

#25 Screech

• Knight Errant
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:48 PM

Looks like I need to get my quiet shoes.

#26 Soy

• 3,689 posts
  • Locationtrue Lord system

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:48 PM

FupDup...

Did I say they are scouts only?

No. You're flat out wrong in misquoting that, so.

Edited by Soy, 21 May 2013 - 01:49 PM.

#27 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:51 PM

View PostSoy, on 21 May 2013 - 01:48 PM, said:

FupDup...

Did I say they are scouts only?

No. You're flat out wrong in misquoting that, so.

Alright, fair point. I tend to get a little bit trigger-happy when people say "scout" and "light" in the same sentence due to some people (not you as it seems) thinking that's all they do.

You responded before catching my late edit, however:

FupDup's late edit said:

EDIT: I'm guessing that a likely response to this will be "but Fuddy Duddy, MWO isn't TT so the light mech's role should be different than TT!" That's a very valid point, but remember that MWO currently doesn't support scouting as having any tangible impact on gameplay at all most of the time. People simply camp in one place too often, and if you lack ECM you are too easy to spot and destroy. You also don't get jack shiznit for payment for your troubles. If something doesn't help their team and doesn't even give them spacebucks, human nature dictates that people will avoid that activity.

The impact of scouting in a "typical" match is often overestimated due to the trench-warfare playstyle this game promotes.

Edited by FupDup, 21 May 2013 - 01:54 PM.

#28 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:52 PM

#29 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:55 PM

View PostSephlock, on 21 May 2013 - 01:52 PM, said:

Don't Wake Stalker!

Edited by FupDup, 21 May 2013 - 01:55 PM.

#30 TruePoindexter

• 2,605 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:59 PM

View PostSoy, on 21 May 2013 - 01:13 PM, said:

Ok, I don't really feel like typing this all serious so I'll just put it like this.

Upgraded you're able to check for brawling angles or nutcracker angles, because it extends out to 400m. That's far enough that you haven't had to go balls deep to check for an angle, which can sometimes lead to being completely screwed if they spot you or you are in a bad spot. Now the risk vs reward is more balanced.

Think checking Citadel in RC. Think checking cave without actually checking cave in FC. Think dropship ridge in FC. Think crater in caustic, and potential flanks. Rock cave archway boat in Forest Colony.

Currently using Adv Decay, Target Info Gathering, and Seismic on a balanced 9M build with overlapping wep systems.

Sounds promising.

#31 skullman86

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:10 PM

Might want to start looking into giving modules tonnage ratings, PGI because this thing is amazing...there is no reason not to take this.

#32 FunkyFritter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:32 PM

Anyone tested how slowly you have to move in a light to remain undetected? It's going to be annoying not knowing who has this equipped until they turn and alpha you.

#33 Solomon Ward

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:52 PM

View PostScreech, on 21 May 2013 - 01:48 PM, said:

Looks like I need to get my quiet shoes.

i thought about a Hoverboard

#34 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:17 PM

View PostThontor, on 21 May 2013 - 01:14 PM, said:

So am I correct in assuming it just pings the map with detected enemy locations? And doesn't allow you to actually target them?

Yes to both.

View PostChavette, on 21 May 2013 - 01:17 PM, said:

When I read they are monitoring hacking attempts, wallhack included I didn't think their way of combating them is putting them out of business by making their own.

They succeeded where everyone else has failed.

View Postskullman86, on 21 May 2013 - 02:10 PM, said:

Might want to start looking into giving modules tonnage ratings, PGI because this thing is amazing...there is no reason not to take this.

Exactly. It's ECM+ if not better.

The only way of "countering this" as a light is to "walk as slow a a heavy" to convince the enemy you are of that weight class.

This is meta-changing, if not meta-breaking...

This is OP, and this is WORSE than ECM by far. I'm already using it and will continue to do so because PGI thinks it is "working as intended".

Chasing a light mech in a BJ-1X with this module is GODLY.

Edited by Deathlike, 21 May 2013 - 03:17 PM.

#35 Kaeb Odellas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationKill the meat, save the metal

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:04 PM

This module is entirely too ******* good. It's a 400m motion tracker. There is absolutely no reason not to take it.

Seriously, this needs a balance pass right quick. Maybe make it so you can't use it while in motion?

#36 OneEyed Jack

• 2,500 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:16 PM

View PostSteemship, on 21 May 2013 - 01:32 PM, said:

They've added a rear view mirror! And it is a stupidly complex reasoning behind it (It is simple, but who in their right mind carries around a seismograph with them?)

Um... lore-wise most, if not all, mechs have seismic senors on them. There's numerous mentions of them being used in the novels. Now we just need MagRes. ;)

As to how good it is.... it's really that good, maybe better.

#37 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:26 PM

The seismic sensor is really like a reverse version of ECM. Rather than cloaking everyone (which already has a semi-insane radius), it reveals everyone.. and at best is twice as effective as ECM.

It's impressive that PGI has added something to completely break the metagame.

#38 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:47 PM

View PostSoy, on 21 May 2013 - 01:18 PM, said:

HEY BILLY MAYS HERE

WITH SEISMIC MODULE

CAN'T SEEM TO FIGURE OUT WHERE THE **** THE ENEMIES ARE? NOOO PROBLEM, USE THIS LIL PUPPY FOR ONLY 2 EASY PAYMENTS OF 17,5000 GXP (SHIPPING AND HANDLING NOT INCLUDED 6 MILLION CBILLS)

This is the best post on the forums, everyone can go home and stop trying to post now.

#39 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:25 PM

It sounds awesome. I hope I unlock it and earn the money to buy one before the whining nerfs it into uselessness.

#40 trollocaustic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:52 PM

Sesmic is balanced.
It's one of the new systems they added, along with BAP to help make the Raven a mortal, instead of a literal deux ex mechina

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users