Team Damage Timeout

12 replies to this topic

#1 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:16 PM

Getting shot at the start of a match is very annoying, as it can lead to (a quicker) death. Even assuming that all of those people just "forget" to aim their test shots away from friendly 'mechs. Since this is the Internet, we can assume no shortage of dumb people, or people who just do not care about playing nice. So to make matters simple, I propose adding a fully automatic team damage timeout:

If you hit a friendly 'mech when no 'mechs on your team have taken any damage, you get a launch timeout. You will not be able to launch into another match for a time (say, an hour). If you repeat this offense, your next timeout increases severely (say, doubles), and so on. The increase multiplier/value gets reset after some time (say, 2 days), to account for the actual accidental discharges.

#2 Rabid Dutchman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 196 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:11 PM

Friendly fire accidents happen. Do you think every Atlas pilot has perfect situational awareness and knows that the light mech he can't see is standing right in front of an arm mounted weapon?

Apply this idea to team killers or players who cause a certain amount of friendly damage. Don't punish people for human error

#3 Fabe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:29 PM

View PostRabid Dutchman, on 24 May 2013 - 03:11 PM, said:

Friendly fire accidents happen. Do you think every Atlas pilot has perfect situational awareness and knows that the light mech he can't see is standing right in front of an arm mounted weapon?

Apply this idea to team killers or players who cause a certain amount of friendly damage. Don't punish people for human error

Agreed,and given how chaotic combat gets sometimes I would be reluctant to able such a penalty even to team kills.

#4 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:02 PM

FF in the form of a single strike right at the start of the match is nearly always attributable to clicking on the game window moments too late. What happens is people click launch, then alt-tab to a browser to read the forums or what have you while the matchmaker performs it's hate-filled voodoo. When they click the game window to start playing, the game registers that as a left mouse click (re: fire weapon group 1).

Worse, if they've bound Alpha Strike to tab and alt-tab back the game will often count that "tab" and alpha.

#5 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 01:36 AM

View PostRabid Dutchman, on 24 May 2013 - 03:11 PM, said:

Which is why the condition clearly states "before any damage is taken". Obviously you can and will hit team mates in a heated fight, and no timeout would apply then. The idea is to punish plain stupid behaviour early during a match, and deliberate team killing.

#6 Rabid Dutchman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 196 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 25 May 2013 - 12:44 PM

I understand the system you're asking for, but the way you're suggesting implementing it would punish players that weren't intentionally doing anything wrong. Player error happens, no one is perfect, and no one should be punished for that.

#7 HiplyRustic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 01:38 PM

Drop us in a circle, all facing out, and eliminate the issue.

#8 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 01:39 PM

Player errors are covered by the "dumb people" part of my suggestion. Sorry, learn to play or timeout. Even 15 minutes would work wonders, trust me.

#9 HiplyRustic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 01:42 PM

View PostModo44, on 25 May 2013 - 01:39 PM, said:

Player errors are covered by the "dumb people" part of my suggestion. Sorry, learn to play or timeout. Even 15 minutes would work wonders, trust me.

So, no one gets to alt-tab out and then alt-tab back in or click back in in your scenario?

No.

No, not at all.

Just, no.

#10 Owlfeathers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 182 posts
  • LocationTerra, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy

Posted 25 May 2013 - 02:16 PM

No. When people face hug enemies for no reason when you're trying to hit the target, you occasionally hit them. And accidentally firing. Or missing. Or ally with no situational awareness walks through your line of fire.

Too many ways to accidentally cause friendly fire for this to be viable.

P.S. Amd before you say "that's what the only if no damage has been taken part is for", when people are sniping or using LRMs and fire at an enemy being facehugged, accidents happen. Neither snipers or LRM boats are likely to take damage until near the end of the match though.

#11 Rabid Dutchman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 196 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:03 PM

View PostModo44, on 25 May 2013 - 01:39 PM, said:

Errors are not inherently "dumb", they are inherently human. I'm sorry if you've been the victim of friendly fire incidents one too many times. That sucks, believe me I've been there.

However, the situation you're describing sounds like (to me, at least) that you want to punish people for accidentally zapping a teammate with a laser or putting an AC round on them. This isn't enough to make a drastic difference in the affected Mech's combat effectiveness. If it is, however, then that pilot needs to seriously reconsider their loadout and armor values.

View PostFabe, on 24 May 2013 - 03:29 PM, said:

Agreed,and given how chaotic combat gets sometimes I would be reluctant to able such a penalty even to team kills.

I'm hesitant to agree with that. I've never actually seen an "accidental" team kill. However it is entirely possible that you and I have had drastically different playing experiences, so I'm open to hearing other's takes on the issue.

#12 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:34 PM

Again, the idea is to timeout for team damage before anyone on your team gets hit, not before a specific 'mech is hit. Please read what I wrote before raging about accidental hits during a fight...

#13 Surtr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 566 posts
  • LocationDropship Naglfar, Clan Front

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:55 PM

The system Planetside uses is quite effective. It allows you to accidentally hit friendlies a good amount, but if you keep doing it, you eventually get your weapons locked out for a short time.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users