#81 DrSecretStache

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 483 posts
  • LocationWherever the Cbills flow

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:15 PM

The way I'd see it is this:

if we decided to change the way we display our sportsmanship (not uncommon, I remember teams in Ultimate games coming up with their own 'cheers' to thank us for playing), would a sportsman be willing to change to it? I'd see that as having much more sportsmanship than simply saying 'gg.' I've made a point of saying 'good hunting' at the beginning. Perhaps I'll start saying 'thanks for playing' or 'thanks for the game' at the end from now on...

#82 Tekadept

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,290 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:18 PM

Posted Image

#83 DeaconW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 976 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:21 PM

View PostNeverfar, on 28 May 2013 - 07:13 PM, said:

It saddens me that the self-declared "sportsmen" in this thread apparently think the answer to the ambiguity is "if u dont liek it u r loosr lol GG GG GG GG"

This is the part that is most amazing to me...it's like being afflicted with arrogance and narcissism also has the side-effect of making one irony-impaired.

#84 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:24 PM

This thread took a dark turn... heres something to cheer you up.

#85 DeaconW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 976 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:26 PM

View PostNeverfar, on 28 May 2013 - 07:23 PM, said:

Off of Planet Hipster, declaring "irony" and running away doesn't win arguments.

Note again just how respectful and sportsmanlike another "GG"er is being.

As if to demonstrate my earler comms point...I am not sure what you are trying to say...I was agreeing with you in my post and commenting on the behavior of the "sportsmen".

#86 InRev

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,236 posts
  • LocationConnecticut, USA

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:30 PM

Sometimes scores can be misleading. On paper an 8-4 seems like a rout, but in actual practice it can be a knock-down, back-and-forth brawl where the last 4 kills happen in quick succession because a line finally breaks or because an assault drops at a very critical moment. I have GG'd many a time after one of those fights because they genuinely were GGs for 90% of the fight, regardless of what the score might suggest.

Granted, usually I add another comment like "hell of a fight", or the like, to show that I'm not trying to be a pissant.

#87 Sephlock

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:32 PM

View PostNeverfar, on 28 May 2013 - 07:26 PM, said:

Gah! It had to be anime. Again. :)

Can you give me a brief summary so I don't have to put up with yet another "kawaii ugu high school slice of life harem comedy drama"?

Its a Moe high school combat academy style comedy drama :). The games have English patches (not complete, but several routes are done) too!

How's this then:

#88 DeaconW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 976 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:39 PM

View PostNeverfar, on 28 May 2013 - 07:27 PM, said:

I guess a point was made regarding miscommunication online. I thought you were accusing me of the things you said.

Oh well, if so, sorry for the friendly fire. I mean that.

No worries...wish we have planned it! It was an excellent demonstration of how comms can fail...

#89 Kraven Kor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:43 PM

View PostJust wanna play, on 28 May 2013 - 05:43 PM, said:

I, like may others, simply hate it when im on the losing team and we get steam rolled and people say GG because i cant help but feel people are just saying "thx for the free cbills" knowing it was only a good game for them and they are mocking me and the rest of my team even if thats not what the person meant it can be hurtful at times, to be completely honest not entirely sure why

its like how natives are saying the name of the Redskins is offensive and should be changed while those that support the name dont see why its offensive, natives feel as though they are being mocked while the team and its owners dont have the proper perspective to understand why

Here is kind of my take on this, and don't take it the wrong way - just a generalization based on your comment.

Some people, at the end of a match, say "GG" out of 'good sportsmanship.' I kind of try to be in this bunch, but don't do it every match or even most.

Others are indeed saying it sarcastically or condescendingly.

But, without any real way of knowing which way a person is intending the remark, you kind of hear it the way you want to hear it, and maybe think more are doing it to be jerks than actually are.

I know some games I get stomped and see 'gg' and feel the same way, but I generally also know it is just my own perception of the comment, moreso than the intent of the person making it, you know?

#90 Sephlock

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:51 PM

Since your little battle is over, each of you should say GG ... and then watch that anime :). Or better yet, play the game!

#91 Sephlock

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:02 PM

View PostNeverfar, on 28 May 2013 - 07:56 PM, said:

Eh. I'd rather watch ponies.

In fact I may do that now. (flame on, haters!)

#92 White Bear 84

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:25 PM

[Redacted]

Edited by White Bear 84, 28 May 2013 - 08:26 PM.

#93 Pyrrho

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 854 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:25 PM

View PostNeverfar, on 28 May 2013 - 05:52 PM, said:

How exactly is it a compliment if you robotically say it and expect to receive it no matter the outcome?

I am in a giant robot. Also, I find the game to be good. It is more of a declaration of love.

#94 Wired

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 822 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:33 PM

For every win, there is a loser. it is for that reason, that the olive branch of GG is offered. Without the other team, you wouldnt of had the game to begin with.

Get over yourselves and just enjoy the game. Geeze.

#95 DerSpecht

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 365 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:44 PM

A rating System like in LoL would make those stupid GG comments obsolete. Rating someone as a "honorable opponent" is more useful than the hypocrisy we see at the end of games.

#96 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:55 PM

View PostDerSpecht, on 28 May 2013 - 08:44 PM, said:

A rating System like in LoL would make those stupid GG comments obsolete. Rating someone as a "honorable opponent" is more useful than the hypocrisy we see at the end of games.

Wouldnt this also be open to abuse though?? You will always have those immature pilots that would down-rate a player just because they got killed or were frustrated the game didnt go their way?!? Not sure how it works in LoL??

Another option would be to have a series of end game awards you can offer to your opponent e.g. Best kill, best light, best duel, Escapist (e.g. managed to avoid an awkward death) etc?? That way you can give recognition to your opponents without using 'GG'. Which while satisfying those who are so opposed to GG, does actually sound like a cool idea..

#97 HereticalPsycho

• PipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 53 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:41 PM

View PostWhite Bear 84, on 28 May 2013 - 08:55 PM, said:

Wouldnt this also be open to abuse though?? You will always have those immature pilots that would down-rate a player just because they got killed or were frustrated the game didnt go their way?!? Not sure how it works in LoL??

Yeah but isn't everything open to abuse of some kind? LoL has a report system and then has reports viewed by a multitude of players and only if a number agree with the report does any negative action actually get considered. And its honour system is maintained by watching for accounts that get honours from the same people over and over, to prevent friends spamming. Off topic I know, just thought i'd offer a brief summary of how it functions.

If MWO did implement something like this it would need to be done well, or else the time would be better spent on the community learning to say something real like "thanks for playing, have a good night". Although to be honest I prefer a GG to 15 people disconnecting, or something like BG. GG is an empty gesture and I understand why people can not like it but personally I just like the fact they took a second to say something mildly positive about the game regardless of how meaningful it is.

#98 King Arthur IV

• Moderate Giver
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:33 PM

i like to say close game when its 8-0

#99 Mycrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link