Crow's Mechwarrior Balancing

51 replies to this topic

#1 Carrioncrows

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:41 AM

Here is the first of four videos detailing and outlining what I view that needs attention in MWO

First: Battlemech Balance. Just under 20 mins, whew.

Energy Balance & Ballistic Balance Found here:

Electronic Warfare, Artillery and Missile found here:

Intro: 0:00
M-Sig: 1:54
Scouting: 4:08
Recon: 4:40
Command: 5:25
Spotting: 7:28
Narc: 7:50
Artillery Modules: 9:48
Bombard Mode: 11:56
Mech Mounted Artillery: 14:14
Missiles General: 17:13
Missiles Lock-On: 20:20
Inflight Missiles: 23:35
Streaks: 24:52
Missile Range: 25:40
End Credits: 27:22

Feel free to Agree or Disagree as I go in depth to explain my views.

For my other more in depth suggestions for Mechwarrior see here: http://mwomercs.com/...eedback-thread/

Why? Because I care.

-Crow

Edited by Carrioncrows, 26 June 2013 - 12:41 AM.

#2 Jonneh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:30 PM

Terrain - The problem is how do you communicate this to the player? If you're going to fall over for running over it, there better damn well be a clear indication that is the risk you're running.

Look at the maps we have now. How do you show a player in the split second they are running over something at 150kph that the terrain they are about to enter is "rough"?

Its easy in a TT. There are numbers, notes.. etc. In a live action game, that is a terrible mechanic. I forsee nothing but frustration tbh. People play MWO to fight mechs, not be an actual live action "Microsoft Flight Simulator" of accuracy.

What I think PGI mean when they want to bring terrain into the game more is more-so talking about making people turn or move slower in certain terrain, which you can make obvious with a big old "ROUGH TERRAIN" flashy without ******* players off by making them fall over like you suggest. This makes it an acceptable penalty to just learn as you play.

Removing zoom will not resolve the "alpha strike" mentality. That has a lot more to do with map design, heat management and a whole host of other things.

I maxed my spiders inside a week, with one large pulse laser doing 400+ dmg per battle. The 5D is superior because of ECM, but even without it I rocked 80% winrates and a 2 k:d (in 2-4 man premades sometimes). You have a point that those are very pointlessly similar, and I played them all the same way. 137kph 1 large laser (AMS on the two non ECM dudes). But I wouldn't say its underpowered, just tiresome and the same.

I have to say, I get the general impression that you're very much trying to "stick to Battletech" to solve the problems of MWO. It just wont work. Its better if you consider them entirely different games.

#3 Carrioncrows

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:43 PM

View PostJonneh, on 02 June 2013 - 12:30 PM, said:

Terrain - The problem is how do you communicate this to the player? If you're going to fall over for running over it, there better damn well be a clear indication that is the risk you're running.

Look at the maps we have now. How do you show a player in the split second they are running over something at 150kph that the terrain they are about to enter is "rough"?

Its easy in a TT. There are numbers, notes.. etc. In a live action game, that is a terrible mechanic. I forsee nothing but frustration tbh. People play MWO to fight mechs, not be an actual live action "Microsoft Flight Simulator" of accuracy.

What I think PGI mean when they want to bring terrain into the game more is more-so talking about making people turn or move slower in certain terrain, which you can make obvious with a big old "ROUGH TERRAIN" flashy without ******* players off by making them fall over like you suggest. This makes it an acceptable penalty to just learn as you play.

Removing zoom will not resolve the "alpha strike" mentality. That has a lot more to do with map design, heat management and a whole host of other things.

I maxed my spiders inside a week, with one large pulse laser doing 400+ dmg per battle. The 5D is superior because of ECM, but even without it I rocked 80% winrates and a 2 k:d (in 2-4 man premades sometimes). You have a point that those are very pointlessly similar, and I played them all the same way. 137kph 1 large laser (AMS on the two non ECM dudes). But I wouldn't say its underpowered, just tiresome and the same.

I have to say, I get the general impression that you're very much trying to "stick to Battletech" to solve the problems of MWO. It just wont work. Its better if you consider them entirely different games.

Easy answer, *****'n Betty will tell you.

Now your not going to fall over just from having a De-Stabilized Gyro. it alone will not make you fall. Nor will collision by themselves make you fall over. It's only when you have De-stabilized gyro and suffer a collision that you get a knocked down mech.

As for newer players, there is no clear cut answer for that. This is the reason we have Training Grounds to lay out the battlemech operation. This aspect can simply be included. However for anyone that's played this game, you simply get to know the maps and know where rought Terrain is and what incline is TOO steep.

As for Zoom. No removing Zoom alone will not solve the Alpha warrior online. I have video's coming that breakdown balancing of Energy weapons and Ballistics to be used in conjunction with this. What you'll see with the removal of the zoom function is a more mid range game. Long and Extreme shots are still possible but no longer absurdly easy.

You will start to see some players clearly better at it than others, this is where skill is determined.

Spider 5D just blows the other variants away, I want to make them useful. I am very much a "NO useless weapon or useless mech" kind of guy. If something isn't up to par, lets address it and not simply accept it.

Your Right, I am dyed in the wool Battletech fan, and when I consider changes I adhere towards a Battletech solutions but that isn't the be-all-end-all. The Boardgame is simply a guide to create your own version, there are times to violate it and there are times to respect it. Above all I prefer to adhere to common sense.

If it's worthwhile, makes sense and is created in such a way as to be not only plausible but in a way I can understand it's good. Hence the whole section on establishing a System for knocked down mechs.

Here's the System
Rough Terrain or strenuous mech feats cause a Gyro to be de-stabilized.
While De-stabilized you can be knocked down.
You can't be knocked down unless you are de-stabilized.

Now Pilot skill is how accomplished you are working within that system.

It's clear, it makes sense and it's easy to understand.

Edited by Carrioncrows, 02 June 2013 - 12:45 PM.

#4 LegoPirate

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 339 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 02 June 2013 - 01:01 PM

zoom is currently what gives the mediocre players a chance to fight back against good snipers. without zoom snipers will still hit you from a Km out, you just wont be able to hit back.

#5 Ozric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,188 posts
  • LocationSunny Southsea

Posted 02 June 2013 - 01:14 PM

Good watch, interesting points well made.

Quite a lot to digest so I will only tackle one issue. Zoom. I do not have an issue with people using zoom all the time, for whatever reason. In fact we should be able to zoom a lot more.

The problem with the system now is that it's really two systems that are not currently fitting together very well. Basic zoom works great but feels like magic (and as you say has no tactical downside except immediate peripheral vision), while module zoom doesn't work, is pug ugly and buggy as hell, but is awesome somehow too. I use both modes all the time, so I'm not crying or anything, but I'm starting to think they should just pick one system and stick to it.

Either give basic zoom more degrees (x4) when you equip the module, or use a (larger?) zoom reticule for zooming even when you do not have the module installed. I know the later is currently impossible due the cryengine being unable to handle PiP (which baffles me if I'm honest), but the fact they are hanging on gives me hope that they may indeed have a fix in mind.

So yes it is an unsatisfactory system right now, but also undoubtedly an unfinished one. I'm sure it will get another look eventually, and then maybe we can get x8 zoom, and rear view mirrors, and camera drones...

Edit: Oh and it is clear that you do, in fact, care. :P

Edited by Ozric, 02 June 2013 - 01:19 PM.

#6 Jonneh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 02 June 2013 - 01:24 PM

View PostCarrioncrows, on 02 June 2013 - 12:43 PM, said:

Here's the System
Rough Terrain or strenuous mech feats cause a Gyro to be de-stabilized.
While De-stabilized you can be knocked down.
You can't be knocked down unless you are de-stabilized.

Now Pilot skill is how accomplished you are working within that system.

It's clear, it makes sense and it's easy to understand.

I don't see what that system adds skill wise I'm afraid.

Taking Damage from collisions makes sense, but what you describe just adds another potential stun lock into the game. The "skill" aspect would be what? Avoiding rough terrain? Only crossing it when you cannot be shot with something that can knock you over?

That seems more like guessing, luck and potential serious frustration to me. Not skill. Pretty thin justification for it too really, if you think about it. It seems like just more "mech realism" for the sake of it.

Edited by Jonneh, 02 June 2013 - 01:28 PM.

#7 Ozric

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,188 posts
  • LocationSunny Southsea

Posted 02 June 2013 - 01:47 PM

Spiders:

Totally forget I wanted to mention this too. I agree with your points about the 5V and 5K Spider variants being terrible, and I have the chassis mastered. I love my 5D to bits, it's my primary light mech, but the other two were quickly sacrificed for mechbays when I was done with them. In fact I used a single LPLAS in both while I was leveling, just couldn't find anything more useful.

Your solution of increasing hardpoints is not unworkable either, though the potential weapon combos (in relation to the size of the mech) give me pause. The 5V with an extra pair of torso energy mounts could rock dual PPCs or triple LLAS (like the 5D), but also quad MPLAS or 2 MPLAS and 2 LLAS. It would go from being the weakest variant to the strongest. Would this be a bad thing? I don't know.

The 5K however is the ballistic Spider, and rather than getting another energy hardpoint should be able to rely on its MGs until we get some lighter ballistic weapons for more varied loadouts. Arguably this has already happened with the latest round of MG changes and the 5K is pretty fun now. Not enough to save it from the mechgrinder of course.

The other thing we have to remember is that sooner or later we are going to get a hero Spider, and in my opinion the only real choices are either 2E/2M (most likely), or 4E. If the later is planned then there's nowhere for your 5V to go.

#8 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:13 PM

I wish you focused on what's broken and not rambling about your perfect 'mech game.

One is useful, the other is not. I'd prefer any future videos - we are working on one depending on what happens on the 4th - to focus entirely on things that might realistically happen:
* Buffing Variants/Chassis is a good thing
* Suggesting limits to teams is a good thing
* Suggesting balance fixes is another good thing

Complaining about core systems like Alpha or talking about new internal hits, those things do take a lot of man hours and are at odds with what we have now. Nobody's going to rip out zoom, Jesus!

Edited by Victor Morson, 02 June 2013 - 02:15 PM.

#9 Carrioncrows

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:09 PM

View PostLegoPirate, on 02 June 2013 - 01:01 PM, said:

zoom is currently what gives the mediocre players a chance to fight back against good snipers. without zoom snipers will still hit you from a Km out, you just wont be able to hit back.

They can still use zoom if they want to equip a Zoom Module. Zoom in it's basic form is too powerful with zero downside. Play a match without using zoom at all. It is a interesting experience. Now Imagine trying to Jump Snipe with the Zoom Module, sure it would be possible but only if the two mechs were standing relatively still.

View PostJonneh, on 02 June 2013 - 01:24 PM, said:

I don't see what that system adds skill wise I'm afraid.

Taking Damage from collisions makes sense, but what you describe just adds another potential stun lock into the game. The "skill" aspect would be what? Avoiding rough terrain? Only crossing it when you cannot be shot with something that can knock you over?

That seems more like guessing, luck and potential serious frustration to me. Not skill. Pretty thin justification for it too really, if you think about it. It seems like just more "mech realism" for the sake of it.

The stun lock is coming back my friend.

This is coming back:

http://www.youtube.c...xViKCFio#t=111s

It revolves around nothing more than bumping into another battlemech.

The only reason they took collisions out was due to the net code being a bit too sloppy to hand it, people were getting ghost knocked down. The server registered a hit while the it appeared to the client that nobody was around them.

This gives people a system and a warning. It lets people know that they are vulnerable and could be knocked down. Doesn't mean they automatically will, but they should take it easy and slow their roll until their Gyro can re-sync and regain it's balance.

Before it was a Piloting Nightmare, you had to be on your toes and vigliant as all get out or POOF: kiss the dirt. And then the atlas would put a AC20 shell into your knocked down XXX.

Right now it's Bumber mechs out there...a side effect of removing collisions. Everyone rolling around at 150+ KPH and bumping into things like it's rubber and then off on their own.

This is a compromise between nightmare and bumper mechs, this means that whether a pilot gets knocked down or Not, it's entirely with in their own hands. If they want to risk the potential knockdown by going balls to the wall over terrain that De-stabilizes their own mech, more power too them if they can pull it off.

View PostOzric, on 02 June 2013 - 01:47 PM, said:

Spiders:

Totally forget I wanted to mention this too. I agree with your points about the 5V and 5K Spider variants being terrible, and I have the chassis mastered. I love my 5D to bits, it's my primary light mech, but the other two were quickly sacrificed for mechbays when I was done with them. In fact I used a single LPLAS in both while I was leveling, just couldn't find anything more useful.

Your solution of increasing hardpoints is not unworkable either, though the potential weapon combos (in relation to the size of the mech) give me pause. The 5V with an extra pair of torso energy mounts could rock dual PPCs or triple LLAS (like the 5D), but also quad MPLAS or 2 MPLAS and 2 LLAS. It would go from being the weakest variant to the strongest. Would this be a bad thing? I don't know.

The 5K however is the ballistic Spider, and rather than getting another energy hardpoint should be able to rely on its MGs until we get some lighter ballistic weapons for more varied loadouts. Arguably this has already happened with the latest round of MG changes and the 5K is pretty fun now. Not enough to save it from the mechgrinder of course.

The other thing we have to remember is that sooner or later we are going to get a hero Spider, and in my opinion the only real choices are either 2E/2M (most likely), or 4E. If the later is planned then there's nowhere for your 5V to go.

Even if the 5V got a increase to 4 Energy hardpoints would it really be considered the strongest Spider?

Doubtful, as the 5D can equip ECM and has arm mounted energy weapons. The ECM alone tips the balance, but at the very least it makes you think and decide what variant you want more, because now there is a reason to take one or the other. Firepower over Stealth, now it is really down to your play-style and which mech you think you would be more effective in.

As for the Spider-5k, god willing they buff machineguns up to be viable weapons so this mech can roll around and do something of consequence, but even if they do this mech still needs another energy hardpoint. Putting it in the Center torso limits the energy hard point so you are still down to 1 large / large pulse or combination of smalls, meds, or their pulse brethren.

But once again their should be a reason to take that mech.

View PostVictor Morson, on 02 June 2013 - 02:13 PM, said:

I wish you focused on what's broken and not rambling about your perfect 'mech game.

One is useful, the other is not. I'd prefer any future videos - we are working on one depending on what happens on the 4th - to focus entirely on things that might realistically happen:
* Buffing Variants/Chassis is a good thing
* Suggesting limits to teams is a good thing
* Suggesting balance fixes is another good thing

Complaining about core systems like Alpha or talking about new internal hits, those things do take a lot of man hours and are at odds with what we have now. Nobody's going to rip out zoom, Jesus!

I've stated several times that this isn't the whole she-bang. This is simply covering the Battlemech Balance, I will be covering Energy, Missile, Ballistic, Electronic warfare in their own threads. This video is already 20 mins long. If I covered everything you would be looking at a 100+ min video. I highly anyone is interested in waiting around for the full duration.

Everything I've suggested above improves the Quality of Gameplay.

Agree or Disagree, I welcome it. Perhaps you have a perspective that I have not considered yet.

Go play a few matches without zoom, I know some of you are trying valiantly to defend the mediocre players and how taking away their zoom is going to cripple them.

They will be just fine. And so will you.

You still have access to the Zoom Module. Yes it's broken right now, but it's not always going to be broken. They are going to fix it. Even if they don't fix it, they can simply take the version of zoom we have, throw a filter on it and attach it's effect to the Zoom module.

Everything I've suggested would require the least amount of man hours to make happen, with the possible exception of the Spider-5V as you would have to add visual redesign the front to include energy hard points in the side torso.

But considering they are going back and re-addressing the modular nature of all battlemechs (I.E. When you change your weapon, there is a visual change on the mech. Gauss, ppcs, ect ect) Doing this is right up their realm of influence, as they are already working on it now.

Good stuff Vic, thanks for bringing it up so I could explain with more depth.

Edited by Carrioncrows, 02 June 2013 - 08:39 PM.

#10 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:56 PM

View PostCarrioncrows, on 02 June 2013 - 08:09 PM, said:

The stun lock is coming back my friend.

This is coming back:

http://www.youtube.c...xViKCFio#t=111s

It revolves around nothing more than bumping into another battlemech.

The only reason they took collisions out was due to the net code being a bit too sloppy to hand it, people were getting ghost knocked down. The server registered a hit while the it appeared to the client that nobody was around them.

This gives people a system and a warning. It lets people know that they are vulnerable and could be knocked down. Doesn't mean they automatically will, but they should take it easy and slow their roll until their Gyro can re-sync and regain it's balance.

Before it was a Piloting Nightmare, you had to be on your toes and vigliant as all get out or POOF: kiss the dirt. And then the atlas would put a AC20 shell into your knocked down XXX.

Right now it's Bumber mechs out there...a side effect of removing collisions. Everyone rolling around at 150+ KPH and bumping into things like it's rubber and then off on their own.

This is a compromise between nightmare and bumper mechs, this means that whether a pilot gets knocked down or Not, it's entirely with in their own hands. If they want to risk the potential knockdown by going balls to the wall over terrain that De-stabilizes their own mech, more power too them if they can pull it off.

Adding knockdowns doesn't remove bumper cars gameplay, in fact it will actually promote those kinds of shenanigans for players who are driving the bigger robot because they can't be knocked down by anything too much smaller than themselves (except for jumpjet-kicks to the face that is). If your mech is bigger, there was no reason not to smash into the other guy because he would be a free kill if he didn't/couldn't get out of the way for whatever reason. Even at similar weight levels, tactics like Jenner tackles and Dragon bowling were employed...which also bore semblance to bumper cars.

Something I notice about the majority of knockdown nostalgia posts is that they always go on and on about lights, high speeds, leghumping, etc. etc. They never mention what heavy and assault mechs are going to be doing...most likely grabbing a Dragon or Awesome with the largest possible engine to become a "knockdown boat." The leghumpers will just grab a bigger robot.

Another thing: it might certainly be true that knockdowns would increase the awareness required to play smaller classes...but would it make large classes more difficult? For one thing, they tend to move as slow as molasses. This means you couldn't run into an obstacle unless you made the deliberate effort to do so...and thus assault and heavy drivers never have to worry about terrain unless they're a speed Dragon or something. It's basically a nerf to lights and mediums by denying them the ability to use their advantage of speed (there are very few wide open fields in the game, usually always some bumps and other rough bits; and if you did find a wide open field, you would get alpha striked pretty quickly). Conclusion: it makes the big boys' life easier and little boys' life harder.

All in all, the last thing this game needs are mechanics that single out the least-played classes and promote the over-played classes. I'll only tolerate something like this if I can get Flamers that can permanently stunlock enemy mechs in thermal shutdown (if I keep holding it on target) instead of this 90% cap thing PGI has.

Edited by FupDup, 02 June 2013 - 09:07 PM.

#11 Carrioncrows

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:53 PM

View PostFupDup, on 02 June 2013 - 08:56 PM, said:

Adding knockdowns doesn't remove bumper cars gameplay, in fact it will actually promote those kinds of shenanigans for players who are driving the bigger robot because they can't be knocked down by anything too much smaller than themselves (except for jumpjet-kicks to the face that is). If your mech is bigger, there was no reason not to smash into the other guy because he would be a free kill if he didn't/couldn't get out of the way for whatever reason. Even at similar weight levels, tactics like Jenner tackles and Dragon bowling were employed...which also bore semblance to bumper cars.

It will Promote people looking for the opportunity to do just that.

it doesn't mean they will succeed, the mech still has to have it's Gyro Compromised, but this is also a two way street.

You seem to think that a larget mech can't be knocked down by a smaller mech. This isn't the case, it totally should be.

Look at it this way, your on Frozen City in a Hunchback down by Theta and you see an Atlas drop off the side headed your way. Now you know after that fall he has got to be suffering from Gyro-Destablization for a few seconds and before he can recover you drop the shoulder and hammer into him at full speed.

Bam

knocked down Atlas, now you have a few seconds to either hammer him with fire or to make your escape.

This is neither unfair or unrealistic, the Atlas Pilot KNEW he was taking a risk by letting his mech fall that far and this created an opportunity for another mech to take advantage of his.

That is good play and counter play.

This doesn't mean your 25 ton commando can go slamming into a de-stabilized Atlas and expect to knock it down. It has to make sense and be within reason. Fifty Tons give or take, out side of that it might take a combination of collisions to get a knockdown

Like,it might mean that your who team lights up a de-stabilized Atlas with fire and that 25 ton mech slamming into the atlas was the final straw to break the camels back and the Atlas gets knocked down.

Something I notice about the majority of knockdown nostalgia posts is that they always go on and on about lights, high speeds, leghumping, etc. etc. They never mention what heavy and assault mechs are going to be doing...most likely grabbing a Dragon or Awesome with the largest possible engine to become a "knockdown boat." The leghumpers will just grab a bigger robot.

Fantastic.

As I mentioned above it's a two way street, but that's an excellent post and help proves my point. Now you've got Dragon's and Awesome's no longer concerned with slapping on the biggest guns. You've got them looking to take a light weapon load out to go faster with the increased chance of Potentially taking advantage of a situation.

Whoa, all of a sudden it's not just about Guns and Armor, now it's about positioning, tactical awareness, opportunity and how being a good pilot means more than just getting your guns around to line up a shot.

Being a bigger mech doesn't except you from getting knocked down yourself.

Lets say your in a Dragon and you are attempting to chase down a slow Blackjack and your Gyro is destabilized from rolling over rough terrain and you hammer into the blackjack that isn't suffering from a de-stabilized Gyro.

Guess what your dragon is going to kiss the dirt while the blackjack looks down at you. It's a two way street.

Another thing: it might certainly be true that knockdowns would increase the awareness required to play smaller classes...but would it make large classes more difficult? For one thing, they tend to move as slow as molasses. This means you couldn't run into an obstacle unless you made the deliberate effort to do so...and thus assault and heavy drivers never have to worry about terrain unless they're a speed Dragon or something. It's basically a nerf to lights and mediums by denying them the ability to use their advantage of speed (there are very few wide open fields in the game, usually always some bumps and other rough bits; and if you did find a wide open field, you would get alpha striked pretty quickly). Conclusion: it makes the big boys' life easier and little boys' life harder.

You would think but people rarely slow down to turn, I see big boys bumping and scraping paint off rubbing against other mechs and buildings as they attempt to turn.

Now I know I mentioned that's it a two way street and provided an example of when a larger mech would become destabalized in a very common situation.

Let me point you back to the video where I said that Gyro Destabalization should be based off of Throttle percentage and not speed.

A dragon my be able to go safely over rough terrain at 80 kph because he is only running 2/3rds of his potential.

But an Atlas suffers the Gyro-Destabilized because he is moving at his maximum speed of 48 kph.

It's not about speed, it's about agility. And as everyone knows the bigger the engine in a battlemech the more agility it has. Notice the smaller the engine the slower your mech turns, this translates from the board game and it translate in MWO.

Picture a good ol' football camp, they have the rows of tires layed out and guys run through these tires.

Skinny whip of a guy blows through, because he has the agility to plant his feet safely and quickly where they need to go. He is still not going as fast as he possibly can because doing so he would most likely kiss the dirt.

Now picture a big mahtoombah grizzly lineman, he rolls over the tires at a significantly slower place and ends up tripping and crashing down. Now he was going a lot slower than the lighter guy but still tripped.

Because it's about Agility, not speed. The Bigger the engine the more agility you have and the faster your mech turns, moves and the faster your mech can plant it's feet.

So it's based off of Throttle Percentage.

How much? Well 2/3rd of your maximum speed would allow you to transverse over rough terrain without suffering Gyro De-stabilized.

Simply standing in rough terrain won't make you suffering Gyro-Destabilized you have to roll over it at above 2/3rds throttle or in layman's terms try and push your mech beyond what it is capable of.

All in all, the last thing this game needs are mechanics that single out the least-played classes and promote the over-played classes. I'll only tolerate something like this if I can get Flamers that can permanently stunlock enemy mechs in thermal shutdown (if I keep holding it on target) instead of this 90% cap thing PGI has.

I am getting to energy weapons, I have an excellent idea for Flamers I hope you will like.

But just to clear something up, it sounds like you think once you bowl a mech over and the instant they stand up you'll be able to run them over again and knock them down. Now the old collisions that was possible and this is what I was talking about when I said Vets abusing the system.

But remember under the above system the mech has to suffer a de-stabilized Gyro for a collision to knock it down again. They simply are not going to get knocked down again unless the two factors collide, the skill and the real trick is to avoid making those two factors from happening to you at the same time but trying to make those factors happen to your opponents.

Edited by Carrioncrows, 02 June 2013 - 10:01 PM.

#12 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:50 AM

View PostCarrioncrows, on 02 June 2013 - 09:53 PM, said:

It will Promote people looking for the opportunity to do just that.

it doesn't mean they will succeed, the mech still has to have it's Gyro Compromised, but this is also a two way street.

You seem to think that a larget mech can't be knocked down by a smaller mech. This isn't the case, it totally should be.

Look at it this way, your on Frozen City in a Hunchback down by Theta and you see an Atlas drop off the side headed your way. Now you know after that fall he has got to be suffering from Gyro-Destablization for a few seconds and before he can recover you drop the shoulder and hammer into him at full speed.

Bam

knocked down Atlas, now you have a few seconds to either hammer him with fire or to make your escape.

This is neither unfair or unrealistic, the Atlas Pilot KNEW he was taking a risk by letting his mech fall that far and this created an opportunity for another mech to take advantage of his.

That is good play and counter play.

This doesn't mean your 25 ton commando can go slamming into a de-stabilized Atlas and expect to knock it down. It has to make sense and be within reason. Fifty Tons give or take, out side of that it might take a combination of collisions to get a knockdown

Like,it might mean that your who team lights up a de-stabilized Atlas with fire and that 25 ton mech slamming into the atlas was the final straw to break the camels back and the Atlas gets knocked down.

Fantastic.

As I mentioned above it's a two way street, but that's an excellent post and help proves my point. Now you've got Dragon's and Awesome's no longer concerned with slapping on the biggest guns. You've got them looking to take a light weapon load out to go faster with the increased chance of Potentially taking advantage of a situation.

Whoa, all of a sudden it's not just about Guns and Armor, now it's about positioning, tactical awareness, opportunity and how being a good pilot means more than just getting your guns around to line up a shot.

Being a bigger mech doesn't except you from getting knocked down yourself.

Lets say your in a Dragon and you are attempting to chase down a slow Blackjack and your Gyro is destabilized from rolling over rough terrain and you hammer into the blackjack that isn't suffering from a de-stabilized Gyro.

Guess what your dragon is going to kiss the dirt while the blackjack looks down at you. It's a two way street.

You would think but people rarely slow down to turn, I see big boys bumping and scraping paint off rubbing against other mechs and buildings as they attempt to turn.

Now I know I mentioned that's it a two way street and provided an example of when a larger mech would become destabalized in a very common situation.

Let me point you back to the video where I said that Gyro Destabalization should be based off of Throttle percentage and not speed.

A dragon my be able to go safely over rough terrain at 80 kph because he is only running 2/3rds of his potential.

But an Atlas suffers the Gyro-Destabilized because he is moving at his maximum speed of 48 kph.

It's not about speed, it's about agility. And as everyone knows the bigger the engine in a battlemech the more agility it has. Notice the smaller the engine the slower your mech turns, this translates from the board game and it translate in MWO.

Picture a good ol' football camp, they have the rows of tires layed out and guys run through these tires.

Skinny whip of a guy blows through, because he has the agility to plant his feet safely and quickly where they need to go. He is still not going as fast as he possibly can because doing so he would most likely kiss the dirt.

Now picture a big mahtoombah grizzly lineman, he rolls over the tires at a significantly slower place and ends up tripping and crashing down. Now he was going a lot slower than the lighter guy but still tripped.

Because it's about Agility, not speed. The Bigger the engine the more agility you have and the faster your mech turns, moves and the faster your mech can plant it's feet.

So it's based off of Throttle Percentage.

How much? Well 2/3rd of your maximum speed would allow you to transverse over rough terrain without suffering Gyro De-stabilized.

Simply standing in rough terrain won't make you suffering Gyro-Destabilized you have to roll over it at above 2/3rds throttle or in layman's terms try and push your mech beyond what it is capable of.

I am getting to energy weapons, I have an excellent idea for Flamers I hope you will like.

But just to clear something up, it sounds like you think once you bowl a mech over and the instant they stand up you'll be able to run them over again and knock them down. Now the old collisions that was possible and this is what I was talking about when I said Vets abusing the system.

But remember under the above system the mech has to suffer a de-stabilized Gyro for a collision to knock it down again. They simply are not going to get knocked down again unless the two factors collide, the skill and the real trick is to avoid making those two factors from happening to you at the same time but trying to make those factors happen to your opponents.

Alright, it appears that my previous post jumped the gun a little bit and was aimed at PGI's old knockdown system; I had forgotten entirely about your gyro-destabilization based variant. My bad on that part.

Having it based on relative speed (throttle %) rather than absolute speed (i.e. 64 kph) does definitely level the playing field quite a bit as it allows mediums and lights to still take more advantage of their speed (2/3 of a Jenner's throttle is a lot faster than 2/3 of an Atlas's). Even though I still have some deep-embedded worries about knockdowns in any form, I must say that your version is vastly superior to PGI's because it's harder to exploit, gives more player control and doesn't single out weight classes.

#13 Carrioncrows

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:49 PM

View PostFupDup, on 03 June 2013 - 07:50 AM, said:

Alright, it appears that my previous post jumped the gun a little bit and was aimed at PGI's old knockdown system; I had forgotten entirely about your gyro-destabilization based variant. My bad on that part.

Having it based on relative speed (throttle %) rather than absolute speed (i.e. 64 kph) does definitely level the playing field quite a bit as it allows mediums and lights to still take more advantage of their speed (2/3 of a Jenner's throttle is a lot faster than 2/3 of an Atlas's). Even though I still have some deep-embedded worries about knockdowns in any form, I must say that your version is vastly superior to PGI's because it's harder to exploit, gives more player control and doesn't single out weight classes.

Hopefully they take notice and at the very least gets them thinking outside of the box.

On another note it looks like my Energy and Ballistic Feedback are going to be small enough that I can combine them.

I'll try and get it out the next few days.

Thx for the feedback.

#14 Chou Senwan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 403 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:10 AM

The game doesn't use sound effects enough. Going over rough terrain should make more noise than easy terrain -- both from crunching the crystals/boulders/debris and from your actuators having a hard time adjusting.

Also, if you bump into a building, you should hear metal tearing into concrete.

#15 Carrioncrows

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:31 PM

View PostChou Senwan, on 08 June 2013 - 08:10 AM, said:

The game doesn't use sound effects enough. Going over rough terrain should make more noise than easy terrain -- both from crunching the crystals/boulders/debris and from your actuators having a hard time adjusting.

Also, if you bump into a building, you should hear metal tearing into concrete.

Hawt Damn those are excellent points.

Didn't even occur to me, now that you mentioned it though it makes perfect sense.

The Next Segment on Balancing Ballistic and Energy weapons is live: http://mwomercs.com/...ergy-balancing/

Edited by Carrioncrows, 08 June 2013 - 09:03 PM.

#16 Sable Dove

• Knight Errant
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:27 PM

Great video (though the music in the background of the audio was a little distracting).

I can say I generally agree with almost all of your suggestions, though I'd say leave 1.5x zoom in, and use the module for 4x zoom (PGI has said picture-in-picture is not something they can really do, so it would have to be a regular zoom for it to be usable).

I don't agree with your solution for SHS. All they need to do is make all engine heatsinks all the same, regardless of the type of external sinks. I'd suggest using the true DHS values so that it's a smoother transition, since virtually everybody uses DHS currently. This way, the difference between SHS and DHS is only in the external heat sinks, where the DHS actually have a drawback. This change would probably also require DHS to be returned to their true double values to compete with SHS.

I'd also lower the additional heat capacity for any heat sink, to discourage PPC/LL boats a little bit.

I'd also say that the Armour IS system needs changing. by doubling armour, PGI has made maxed armour very important. This, along with SHS being useless, is one of the main reasons that stock mechs suck; they are generally under-armoured, but since armour is now twice as effective, while IS remains the same, maximizing armour is much more important than it should be.

Personally, I'd like to see IS doubled, but it would also be acceptable to see IS increased by 50%, and armour decreased by 25% (of the current values), leaving both at 150% of the base values. This would make critical hits more significant, make maxed armour less critical, and if IS is simply doubled, it means that high-alpha builds would be slightly less powerful, and sustainable DPS would be more important.

Another big issue is that armour distribution is based on TT, and that's PGI's excuse, despite the fact that weapons can now hit specific locations, all at once, very easily. I'd like to see armour re-distributed for certain mechs, at least, because some mechs are saddled with bad hitboxes for no real reason, and don't even get the ability to put more armour on the larger locations. It also makes XLs way more useful than they should be, since most mechs that aren't assaults are going to die through the CT before even losing armour on either side torso. Only assaults, and certain mechs like the Hunchbacks and Centurions really see the drawback of an XL.

#17 Carrioncrows

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:00 PM

View PostSable Dove, on 08 June 2013 - 10:27 PM, said:

Great video (though the music in the background of the audio was a little distracting).

I can say I generally agree with almost all of your suggestions, though I'd say leave 1.5x zoom in, and use the module for 4x zoom (PGI has said picture-in-picture is not something they can really do, so it would have to be a regular zoom for it to be usable).

I don't agree with your solution for SHS. All they need to do is make all engine heatsinks all the same, regardless of the type of external sinks. I'd suggest using the true DHS values so that it's a smoother transition, since virtually everybody uses DHS currently. This way, the difference between SHS and DHS is only in the external heat sinks, where the DHS actually have a drawback. This change would probably also require DHS to be returned to their true double values to compete with SHS.

I'd also lower the additional heat capacity for any heat sink, to discourage PPC/LL boats a little bit.

I'd also say that the Armour IS system needs changing. by doubling armour, PGI has made maxed armour very important. This, along with SHS being useless, is one of the main reasons that stock mechs suck; they are generally under-armoured, but since armour is now twice as effective, while IS remains the same, maximizing armour is much more important than it should be.

Personally, I'd like to see IS doubled, but it would also be acceptable to see IS increased by 50%, and armour decreased by 25% (of the current values), leaving both at 150% of the base values. This would make critical hits more significant, make maxed armour less critical, and if IS is simply doubled, it means that high-alpha builds would be slightly less powerful, and sustainable DPS would be more important.

Another big issue is that armour distribution is based on TT, and that's PGI's excuse, despite the fact that weapons can now hit specific locations, all at once, very easily. I'd like to see armour re-distributed for certain mechs, at least, because some mechs are saddled with bad hitboxes for no real reason, and don't even get the ability to put more armour on the larger locations. It also makes XLs way more useful than they should be, since most mechs that aren't assaults are going to die through the CT before even losing armour on either side torso. Only assaults, and certain mechs like the Hunchbacks and Centurions really see the drawback of an XL.

That is another valid way to go about it for SHS, but does that mean you only get the first 10 heatsinks that come with the engine that you have to upgrade or does that mean only the heatsinks actually in the engine - IE have to run a 250 engine to get all 10?

The whole issue of IS is the reason why I find crit seeking weapons so pointless, so in part I wanted to both address that and give a reason why someone would take Standard Internal Structure over Endo besides just slots.

I see what you are saying about the armor, but doesn't the whole hitboxes really give all the mechs a lot of flavor outside of just numbers. I mean look at the centurion it's a bad mech for an XL but it's arguably one of the toughest mechs in the game despite it being a 50 ton mech.

But I know what you are saying there isn't a Reason not to max armor, I could see if you have less armor it would improve your mech agility or something like that. I dunno it's a tough debate because who doesn't max out their armor or at the very least doesn't max out their Torso armor.

*shrug*

Good points.

#18 Sable Dove

• Knight Errant
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 12:09 AM

I would say only the heatsinks that are included with the engine count; even if that's less than 10. However, for in-engine sinks for 275+ rating, they do get the same values as other engine sinks, since it would be unfair for the DHS to get the bonus of using 3 less slots per sink, with DHS values, while the SHS only saves 1 slot each, and still gets the SHS values. Since being in the engine eliminates the drawback of the DHS, but not that of the SHS, they should not be dependent on the type of external heat sink.

On the armour distribution:
If armour were centralized, there would be more incentive to disarm enemies by taking off arms or side torsos, when currently, armour on the CT is so low (relatively speaking), that it makes very little sense to aim anywhere other than CT, except on a handful of mechs, and even then, you're virtually never going to target arms, because they have almost as much armour as side torsos, and destroying a side torso will also destroy the arm, if not the whole mech.

While I definitely would like it on a couple specific mechs, I would really like to see armour centralization on all mechs, to an extent. Mechs like the Spider or Raven obviously don't need it, due to their nice hitboxes, but mechs like the Catapult or Dragon need it desperately, as their huge CTs and de-centralized armour make them among the most fragile mechs in the game, but there is no reason not to use an XL, since you will basically never die through a side torso before your CT or head explodes.

On the Energy/Ballistic front: (Note, you can just assume that if I don't mention it here, I agree, or at least don't disagree with your suggestions on particular items)

Adding a minimum range to the ERPPC isn't going to hurt it much unless that range is at least 180m, and the damage drops off very quickly. And odds are most mechs simply aren't going to get within range before taking so much damage that they're almost surely going to die, even while the ERPPCs are doing reduced damage.

The real solution is heat penalties, slight penalties to convergence for movement, a lowered heat cap, or some combination thereof. ERPPCs are mainly an issue because they have one drawback, and that drawback is not penalized in any significant way. Don't get me wrong, a minimum range would be nice, but it would definitely not fix the fact that ERPPC boats can kill or cripple mechs with one or two hits anywhere up to 810m. The solution, to many problems in the game, is penalties for heat, and penalties to accuracy for excessive movement (and jumpjetting, as they've sort of realized; the penalty should apply as long as the mech is not on the ground, and should be worse for heavier mechs).

I'm not saying accuracy penalties like you might see from hipfiring a weapon in your generic FPS. I'm talking tiny inaccuracies, enough that if you're moving at a moderate-high speed, or you know, if your mech is not on the ground at all, you can't hit the head of a pin at 600+m with all of your weaponry at the same time. Same if you're overheating, though heat penalties would be more severe than movement penalties, obviously.

I feel the LB 10-X still needs a significantly tighter spread, even if they did increase the rate of fire and range.

Your Flamer ideas, I can't agree with at all. They would certainly be better than what we have now, but they would still be a detriment. 2DPS for a maximum of 5 conscutive seconds, 64m range, and it still inflicts 20% more heat on the user than the target? Not useful. You will never be able to heat up an enemy mech to anywhere close to 90% before you shut down (especially if you're using other weapons), and you won't be causing any significant amounts of damage, since you have to fire in bursts, and odds are you overheat before actually running out of energy for them.

I can see two ways to make Flamers usable.
1. Leave the damage very low, but increase the heat inflicted to 2-2.5 HPS, reduce heat generated on user to 0. This makes the flamer a utility weapon, causing enemies to need to worry about their heat more. This would be more effective if heat carried any real penalties below 100% heat though.
2. Increase damage to ~4-5DPS, increase heat generated on user to 3 HPS (which is actually more then the ERPPC, BTW). This makes the weapon more useful as a backup, anti-light weapon, to force light mechs away, and hopefully into range of your bigger guns. It's not meant to be a damage dealer unless your enemy is dumb enough to get within 64m of you and stay there.

I do not think your pulse laser changes would not make them any more useful. If the bulk were dealt in the first third, it would be a slight improvement, but putting the bulk in the middle is more harmful, I'd say. I tend to hit far more at the start of firing than in the middle, or at the end; having my target partially obscured does not help me aim.

I would suggest increasing SPL damage to 4, reducing heat for all pulse lasers slightly, and possibly reducing beam duration further, to 0.50s for the MPL/LPL, and 0.25 for the SPL, making them much easier to hit with full force in only one or two locations. IT would also be much simpler, which means slightly less chance for it to screw up somehow.

#19 ArtistX

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 01:06 AM

The Pretty Baby is pretty... useless.. heck if they just moved the Laser Hardpoint from the head to the Side Torso so you could use something bigger than a Medium Laser... and moved the 1 Missile Hardpoint from the hand to the other side torso. then you could use 3 LRM 20s or actually use Artemis with 2 LRM 15s.... Same ammount of hardpoints but a world of difference...

#20 Carrioncrows

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:47 AM

View PostSable Dove, on 09 June 2013 - 12:09 AM, said:

I would say only the heatsinks that are included with the engine count; even if that's less than 10. However, for in-engine sinks for 275+ rating, they do get the same values as other engine sinks, since it would be unfair for the DHS to get the bonus of using 3 less slots per sink, with DHS values, while the SHS only saves 1 slot each, and still gets the SHS values. Since being in the engine eliminates the drawback of the DHS, but not that of the SHS, they should not be dependent on the type of external heat sink.

On the armour distribution:
If armour were centralized, there would be more incentive to disarm enemies by taking off arms or side torsos, when currently, armour on the CT is so low (relatively speaking), that it makes very little sense to aim anywhere other than CT, except on a handful of mechs, and even then, you're virtually never going to target arms, because they have almost as much armour as side torsos, and destroying a side torso will also destroy the arm, if not the whole mech.

While I definitely would like it on a couple specific mechs, I would really like to see armour centralization on all mechs, to an extent. Mechs like the Spider or Raven obviously don't need it, due to their nice hitboxes, but mechs like the Catapult or Dragon need it desperately, as their huge CTs and de-centralized armour make them among the most fragile mechs in the game, but there is no reason not to use an XL, since you will basically never die through a side torso before your CT or head explodes.

On the Energy/Ballistic front: (Note, you can just assume that if I don't mention it here, I agree, or at least don't disagree with your suggestions on particular items)

Adding a minimum range to the ERPPC isn't going to hurt it much unless that range is at least 180m, and the damage drops off very quickly. And odds are most mechs simply aren't going to get within range before taking so much damage that they're almost surely going to die, even while the ERPPCs are doing reduced damage.

Even the 90m range minimum makes a huge difference in terms of damage, I will stand still with a PPC mech and trade shots with them if I am under 90m. The ERPPC even more so due to the massive amount of heat it generates. It is a weapon that you simply can't spam without serious consequences and definitely not when you are panicked and pointblank.

The real solution is heat penalties, slight penalties to convergence for movement, a lowered heat cap, or some combination thereof. ERPPCs are mainly an issue because they have one drawback, and that drawback is not penalized in any significant way. Don't get me wrong, a minimum range would be nice, but it would definitely not fix the fact that ERPPC boats can kill or cripple mechs with one or two hits anywhere up to 810m. The solution, to many problems in the game, is penalties for heat, and penalties to accuracy for excessive movement (and jumpjetting, as they've sort of realized; the penalty should apply as long as the mech is not on the ground, and should be worse for heavier mechs)..

I'm not saying accuracy penalties like you might see from hipfiring a weapon in your generic FPS. I'm talking tiny inaccuracies, enough that if you're moving at a moderate-high speed, or you know, if your mech is not on the ground at all, you can't hit the head of a pin at 600+m with all of your weaponry at the same time. Same if you're overheating, though heat penalties would be more severe than movement penalties, obviously.

I agree whole-heartedly, but PGI did mention some serious heat effects coming for people that continuously ride the red line. Something in the form of taking damage if you go too far over shutdown or even popping heat sinks which means continuous use will destroy sinks making you less and less heat effective.

You may start the match with 20 some odd HS but you redline a few times and now you are down to 14.

Worth considering, so I held back feedback in that direction until I see what they have planned.

I feel the LB 10-X still needs a significantly tighter spread, even if they did increase the rate of fire and range.

The problem with tightening the spread too much, you eventually just get to the point where it is not worth taking an AC10 because the spread on the LB10-X is too good, and you have to look at bringing it back down.

Instead just give it a lower cooldown. The AC10 needs to be worthwhile. It is a solid shot and should get the range bonus I talked about, but also the LB10-X SHOULD be worth it.

Let the LB10-X be the brawlers weapon that can pump out a lot more rounds and the way the spread is now the majority of the pellets will hit where intended at 200m but not all of them, but the cycle time should make up for the lack of accuracy on the pellets.

2.1 sec cycle time turns the LB10-X into a monster dps weapon coming in at 4.76 DPS, just shy of the 5 DPS a ac20 puts out.

Yes there is going to be some diffusion as not all the pellets are going to hit the same location but like any good brawling weapon it's going to have a quicker cycle-time allowing you to put followup shots quicker to hit damaged locations.

Your Flamer ideas, I can't agree with at all. They would certainly be better than what we have now, but they would still be a detriment. 2DPS for a maximum of 5 conscutive seconds, 64m range, and it still inflicts 20% more heat on the user than the target? Not useful. You will never be able to heat up an enemy mech to anywhere close to 90% before you shut down (especially if you're using other weapons), and you won't be causing any significant amounts of damage, since you have to fire in bursts, and odds are you overheat before actually running out of energy for them.

I can see two ways to make Flamers usable.
1. Leave the damage very low, but increase the heat inflicted to 2-2.5 HPS, reduce heat generated on user to 0. This makes the flamer a utility weapon, causing enemies to need to worry about their heat more. This would be more effective if heat carried any real penalties below 100% heat though.
2. Increase damage to ~4-5DPS, increase heat generated on user to 3 HPS (which is actually more then the ERPPC, BTW). This makes the weapon more useful as a backup, anti-light weapon, to force light mechs away, and hopefully into range of your bigger guns. It's not meant to be a damage dealer unless your enemy is dumb enough to get within 64m of you and stay there.

I'm smiling here, =) but i've got to stop you.

Did you do the math on my flamer idea? The Flamer deals: 2 DPS - An absolute must! It has to be a viable weapon, heat is the bonus but it is still only a 1 ton weapon.

You give 2.5 heat damage a second.
You Take 3.0 heat a second

The Flamer can only be used for 5 seconds on continuous fire before it needs to recharge it's juice.

So over those five seconds you will have caused:
10 Damage
12.5 heat to your intended target - (ER PPC is only 11 heat every time you fire)
15 heat to yourself.

There simply must be more heat taken by yourself than given to your target, this is simply to account for the damage itself and in many ways to discourage boating because the flamer itself is a penalty weapon. By that I mean you are penalizing another player and as such penalize yourself in some way as well, one of the game design pillars. The big difference being you know the penalty is coming!

The flamer is good, there are mechs out there stock that boat flamers but ultimately the flamer is a tactical weapon used to turn a fight.

Now keep in mind the flamer is still a 1 ton weapon but also keep in mind the Flamer isn't there to shut a mech down.

It's not, You don't take a flamer to stun lock another mech.

You take a flamer so that your target shuts himself down.

Lets look at some of those people who boat ERPPC or heavy energy builds. Now I know that once my heat gets to a certain percentage I can fire with out shutting myself down. Full Alpha cause's 32% heat, well that means at 67% I can fire all my weapons and not shut myself down. Boom you've got a flamer on me, that means I am going to have to wait even longer to Alpha, fire less weapons or chance the shutdown.

With the flamer you have no need to heat people up to that 90% heat cap, really it's just not your job to max them out and attempting to max them out is the wrong way to go about it. (Honestly)

Players will max out their heat all by themselves.

The purpose of the flamer is to turn the fight of an engagement, to force some hard choices on you intended target: Hold back weapons, Wait longer to cool down, Fire possibly shutdown, Fire everything and shutdown for a long time and possibly take damage.

You get into the middle of a brawl with other pilots and quickly everyone is going to red-line themselves pretty quickly. That flamer adding an additional 12.5 heat is the difference between a good pilot on their side shutting themselves down because they didn't realize they were getting hit with a flamer, your team corn-cobbing him in the CT and time he spends not doing anything.

This way the Flamer is effect at both damage, effects and can be used Intelligently to turn a fight.

Lets take the effect of a flamer and lets say we add 2 flamers

Now:
20 Damage over 5 secs
25 Heat to target over 5 secs
30 heat to yourself over 5 secs

What happens if we run triple flamers or lets go with quad flamers.
40 damage over 5 seconds
50 heat to target over 5 secs
60 heat to yourself over 5 secs

Now you start turning into a monster heat machine both in terms of what you deal and what you take.

Lets make a brawler build out of this and run Quad flamers and a Gauss Rifle. Now you have a low heat weapon paired with a high heat penalty weapon. You engage and fight and as the fight moves on it moves into brawling range - Boom, you dump those flamers on a target forcing him to the 90% max pretty quickly and he fires a high heat weapon shutting himself down. You drop the flamers to cooldown to recharge and take your time and plant your Gauss rounds where you want them.

He starts up again and you drop the flamers on him again, at this point he is frantic to get some shots off so he fire's again and shuts himself down and you plant your Gauss rounds.

The Flamers are recharging, they are not fully charged due to the time it takes to charge.

The smart move on his part would be for him to hold is fire until you exhaust what you have left in your flamer tanks knowing they need time to recharge for a longer bursts, so he holds his fire and checks only low heat options.

This type of play and counter play is awesome.

It probably won't work out that way in an actual match but either way I think people would agree that the flamer would be useful with out being overpowered with the above suggestions because the flamer is there to force some hard choices.

And though it may not cause a mech to be shutdown what it will cause is a mech to use less DPS than they are capable of, and if that's the effect then it's a great weapon to have because it also deals damage. =)

I do not think your pulse laser changes would not make them any more useful. If the bulk were dealt in the first third, it would be a slight improvement, but putting the bulk in the middle is more harmful, I'd say. I tend to hit far more at the start of firing than in the middle, or at the end; having my target partially obscured does not help me aim.

I would suggest increasing SPL damage to 4, reducing heat for all pulse lasers slightly, and possibly reducing beam duration further, to 0.50s for the MPL/LPL, and 0.25 for the SPL, making them much easier to hit with full force in only one or two locations. IT would also be much simpler, which means slightly less chance for it to screw up somehow.

That's a decent point, I always end up catching people with the beam in the middle part due to the way It typically works out. I fire hit a bump or something and the mouse slips i have to correct my aim and bring it back on target. But if you are more accurate in the first third then that is a valid point.

Solid recommendation.

Edited by Carrioncrows, 09 June 2013 - 07:55 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users