St. Ives Compact

52 replies to this topic

#41 Alexander Steel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:15 AM

I would have thought that somebody who flies a house Liao flag would have at least enjoyed the first part of the Jihad, in that the reason that the Wobbies have a complete melt down is...

1. They believe it's their destiny to save the IS from the Clans.
2. They feel this will happen while the Star League is still around.
3. When they Star League falls apart they go insane and decide screw it, we'll destroy everything.

So why is this funny if you are a Liao fan? Because you can put all the blame on Victor Steiner-Davion.

He defeated the clans. He waged a civil war against his sister.

1. If the Clans were still invading the IS, the Star League wouldn't have broken up.
2. The only reason House Davion and House Steiner vote to pull out of the Star League is because their realms are too bankrupt after fighting the civil war.
3. If Comstar had put down the Wobbies when they first took Terra ((on VSD and Fochts belief that the Wobbies would guard Terra as well as anybody against the clans)) they never would have had the power to wage the Jihad.

You know if you are going to spin stuff.

:rolleyes:

#42 Craig Steele

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,106 posts
  • LocationCSR Mountbatton awaiting clearance for tactical deployment

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:03 AM

View PostAlexander Steel, on 19 February 2014 - 07:15 AM, said:

I would have thought that somebody who flies a house Liao flag would have at least enjoyed the first part of the Jihad, in that the reason that the Wobbies have a complete melt down is...

1. They believe it's their destiny to save the IS from the Clans.
2. They feel this will happen while the Star League is still around.
3. When they Star League falls apart they go insane and decide screw it, we'll destroy everything.

So why is this funny if you are a Liao fan? Because you can put all the blame on Victor Steiner-Davion.

He defeated the clans. He waged a civil war against his sister.

1. If the Clans were still invading the IS, the Star League wouldn't have broken up.
2. The only reason House Davion and House Steiner vote to pull out of the Star League is because their realms are too bankrupt after fighting the civil war.
3. If Comstar had put down the Wobbies when they first took Terra ((on VSD and Fochts belief that the Wobbies would guard Terra as well as anybody against the clans)) they never would have had the power to wage the Jihad.

You know if you are going to spin stuff.

;)

Well, realiticall the Star League was a puff of wind. A political outcome. It had no drive, no purpose. It just kinda "fell" into being and "fell" out just as quickly.

Star League was sham imo, believable but a sham. No one really wanted it, no one really supported it. Clan Invasion or not it had a tenure as long as the first crisis.

Marik was already committed to supplying the war effort before Star League for nothing more noble than the C-Bills. Kurita was always going to fight them, same as Steiner. Liao was never going to fight them and they sent what, 3 regiment (2 of them half regimetns) to the war effort. Yay yay, they were clearly engaged in defeating the threat right :wacko:

Davion well could have gone either way. But honestly as long as they were at truce with Steiner they just didnl;t matter, Lyrans had WIE and Kell Hounds already being a buffer.

So all this leads me to the path that SL or no SL, it would have been the same, marginal troop changes, but same same.

VSD was ok as warriors go, I'll give him that. But he got pretty 'preferential' treatment from the novels. He couldn;t do too much wrong. Which always irks me, I like my hero's to have real faults. To screw up and learn cause thats human.

Victor never had anything go badly for him on the field (unless you count the WIE guys taking it to him in a simulator) which in my mind kinda weakens him. I know that people make mistakes and if he didn;t in lore, that means someone covered for him, (staff, etc) which is where I kinda think, is he really as good as the books say or is it the silent 'kingmaker' behind the scenes holding the facade afloat.

WOB to me is just a spin angle to sell more books. Although I was impressed with the 'Real' thomas ebing their head. I did not see that one coming but it makes perfect sense.

I guess the thing about the BT universe that I keep kicking over is that its rarely new people. Its the same families floating around with the next 'descedant' being the next extreme (hero or villian). Rarely does someone outside the established lore step up and inject some new blood.

Where's the Halas son who takes on parliment on behalf of the CG.

Why in 3040 were 3 of 5 warlords plotting against Takashi (cause you know he just saved the realm from the Fed com War machine and yet his warlords all wanted to go their own ways as indepence seemed a good idea??? WTF??)

They take a pretty narrow road often.

Devlin Stone was about the first 'new' major character I can think of..

Heck even the Clans its all, JF, CW, GB oh and ummmmm, these other 12 clans had this minor impact on the big guys.

#43 Alexander Steel

• The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:42 AM

Devlin Stone was about the first 'new' major character I can think of..

It really depends on how you look at it. I mean when you are talking about a Feudal Society built on passing down power to members of your family, it's not surprising that new players are going to be from those same families.

Example: Look at the nobility of England during the War of the Roses and how many of them were blood relatives of each other.

New characters how up all the time however in novels about individual units. The Black Thorn novels, the Marik Knights of the Innersphere novels, the Caballeros. It just doesn't make sense for somebody who isn't already from a major noble family to have the influence and ties to out do other nobles when it comes to ruling the realm. I mean it would be really weird for a source book to go...

"And then Sun-Tzu was replaced by Bob Smith, the son of a Janitor and Cook."

#44 Craig Steele

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,106 posts
  • LocationCSR Mountbatton awaiting clearance for tactical deployment

Posted 19 February 2014 - 03:07 PM

View PostAlexander Steel, on 19 February 2014 - 08:42 AM, said:

It really depends on how you look at it. I mean when you are talking about a Feudal Society built on passing down power to members of your family, it's not surprising that new players are going to be from those same families.

Example: Look at the nobility of England during the War of the Roses and how many of them were blood relatives of each other.

New characters how up all the time however in novels about individual units. The Black Thorn novels, the Marik Knights of the Innersphere novels, the Caballeros. It just doesn't make sense for somebody who isn't already from a major noble family to have the influence and ties to out do other nobles when it comes to ruling the realm. I mean it would be really weird for a source book to go...

"And then Sun-Tzu was replaced by Bob Smith, the son of a Janitor and Cook."

Thats a bit more simplifed than where I was going.

My point is that in the BT universe, it seems like everything important is done by a handful of families. Billions of people and very few minor characters do anything except be fodder or such for the main families.

They are feudal societies and those 2nd / 3rd down the line have immense power (they have to rule that little segment) but there's just not a lot of detail about them unless they're part of the main plat.

No one does anything it seems (generalisation) unless its for the script.

#45 Alexander Steel

• The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:50 AM

I don't know if I agree with you on that. The Novels are broken up into two categories. "The main story line" which focuses on big events which are run by the main families. "Everything else" which covers all the other stuff done by people who aren't the big players.

The source books also cover the other stuff done by other people.

#46 Zvolimir the Blackhand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 388 posts
  • LocationThe Forbidden Zone

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:20 AM

We don't need a St. Ives compact.

Mainly because there's only like 3 or 4% of the playerbase running Liao flags to begin with, and it's been a nightmare trying to build a community with that.

We don't need another fracture in the community - anyone running St. Ives banner would be attacked by Liao forces from Purvo more frantically than we repel Davion strike forces.

#47 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:32 AM

View PostEmpyrus, on 09 June 2013 - 04:41 AM, said:

St. Ives Compact is a former Capellan Commonality, but it exists as of 3050, just like FRR. Conquered back in '62.
Still, doesn't me stop from wondering why FRR is the only minor power in MWO, why there is a minor power at all available for players.

Because people think they are space vikings.

#48 _Comrade_

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:17 PM

FRR actually deserves a lot of credit for stalling the invasion. Their pilot killed the ilkhan and leader of the clan invasion Leo Showers of Smoke Jagaer when she kamaikazed herself into his dropship In his place Ulric Kerensky of clan wolf became ilKhan and he wasn't as dedicated to the invasion as Showers was and was looking to negotiate with Comstar. So i they play an important role in the clan invasion and that is why they are in the game i believe

Edited by Grimwill, 07 March 2014 - 12:18 PM.

#49 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:24 AM

View PostZvolimir the Blackhand, on 01 March 2014 - 10:20 AM, said:

We don't need a St. Ives compact.

Mainly because there's only like 3 or 4% of the playerbase running Liao flags to begin with, and it's been a nightmare trying to build a community with that.

We don't need another fracture in the community - anyone running St. Ives banner would be attacked by Liao forces from Purvo more frantically than we repel Davion strike forces.

Paul Inouye recently said in announcements:

"Regarding the 3 additional clans that join the invasion in Wave 4 (Clan Nova Cat and Clan Steel Viper) and just after Wave 5 (Clan Diamond Shark), we are planning on pulling them into the conflict closer to their reveal dates next year (i.e. as soon as possible)."

If these have a shot at getting in, it stands to reason that St. Ives could make it in as well. Operation Guerrero and the St. Ives - Capellan War are basically the Capellan analogue to the clan invasion.

If St. Ives makes it in I can finally switch my icon over to something more tasteful than "blank space".

And yeah. If the game wasn't between 3029 and 3063, I wouldn't have a problem flying the gauntlet and sword of the Confederation.

#50 Colonel Morgan Kell

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 11:55 AM

There should be a St Ives.. Put it in the game!

#51 DevlinCognito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 504 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth

Posted 14 July 2015 - 02:30 PM

Yes, there should, if Cappies take St Ives they are Cappie, if Davion own it, they play as Davion,

:)

#52 Czarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 414 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 09:09 PM

St Ives are traitors that dare insult the great leader

let there be a St Ives compact so that CCAF can liberate those planets from the traitors :)

Edited by Czarr, 15 July 2015 - 09:10 PM.

#53 Dagorlad13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 516 posts
  • LocationClan Ghost Bear Occupation Zone.

Posted 15 July 2015 - 09:51 PM

View PostReod Daie, on 17 July 2013 - 12:18 PM, said:

And unlike in the canon, we'll be ready for them vat born freaks.

With the help of numerous mercenaries.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users