Never Make Elo Public

33 replies to this topic

#1 BootHands

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:52 PM

I say this, as a former member of the League of Legends community, who played at the Gold level (Think mid, to the low side of high ELO).

Making ELO public will not assist balance discussions. Bad players will be every bit as loud and opinionated as ever, undeterred by the number in their face showing them that they probably have no idea wtf they are talking about.

It will however, lead to all the crying in the world about "ELO hell". A special place that exists only to bad players who have never heard of the Dunning-Krueger effect. Every third thread will either be about being "stuck" in ELO hell for reasons outside the player's control, complaints about matchmaking and getting paired with "trolls" ("trolls" in this case meaning other players of your approximate skill level who don't have Dunning-Krueger dilusions about) or complaints about whatever mech/build happens to be FoTM at the moment, along with a pile of tears requesting it be nerfed out of existence.

Once this happens, it's only a matter of time, before PGI starts wasting time catering to low ELO players (as low ELO players are always the majority of a game's population), by nerfing the hell out of things which are balanced at mid and high level play, but that low level players have trouble dealing with. This will kill build diversity, and force everyone into some lame-*** PGI sanctioned meta, that they buff/nerf things to enforce and release new things to enforce.

PGI, don't become Riot. Learn from their mistakes. Don't make ELO public, ever.

#2 Profiteer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:55 PM

Better idea: charge MC if you want to see it ;)

#3 Nauht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:58 PM

Yep I agree - don't make stats public. Bad enough with all the epeen elitist attitudes on the forums with KDR and whatnot.

The soapbox screeching would be insufferable.

#4 Homeless Bill

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,968 posts
  • LocationA Box Near You

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:03 PM

Let's make another thread stating this topic in the opposite way so we can rehash the same 23 pages again. Thanks a bunch.

#5 BootHands

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:05 PM

View PostHomeless Bill, on 09 June 2013 - 08:03 PM, said:

Let's make another thread stating this topic in the opposite way so we can rehash the same 23 pages again. Thanks a bunch.

Better than spending the time to write something this long, only to have it be buried somewhere in that 23+ pages...

#6 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:06 PM

I am of the school of thought that you need a balance: Do not list the hard stat ELO numbers, but instead come up with a number of brackets and announce when you enter a new bracket. Basically how StarCraft 2 handles it, more or less.

This brings less number gaming while at the same time more transparency.

Edited by Victor Morson, 09 June 2013 - 08:06 PM.

#7 PEEFsmash

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:11 PM

Saying "Learn from Riot" is hilarious, considering that Riot is a WILDLY successful game company that totally destroyed all expectations of what was possible from a free-to-play game. They are swimming in cash, have the single largest competitive scene in the world, and have singlehandedly changed the way the gaming world works with their success. Learn from them, OP says, and don't do what they did!

Edited by PEEFsmash, 09 June 2013 - 08:13 PM.

#8 Huntsman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:09 PM

If you made ELO public you would then have to ackowledge my superiority and take everything I say as pure unadulterated truth. The pride of too many self styled *good players* is at stake. Their egos simply would not be able to handle the fact that they would be forced to KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!

...err, HUNTSMAN!

Edited by Huntsman, 09 June 2013 - 09:10 PM.

#9 Eleshod

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 187 posts
  • LocationVegas baby!

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:13 PM

ELO will severely segregate the playerbase... We'll end up having completely logical and illogical arguments alike go ignored because. "My number is bigger then your's or my number isn't as big as your's."

#10 BootHands

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:23 PM

View PostEleshod, on 09 June 2013 - 09:13 PM, said:

ELO will severely segregate the playerbase... We'll end up having completely logical and illogical arguments alike go ignored because. "My number is bigger then your's or my number isn't as big as your's."

You'd definitely get a lot of that too, from the people who conflate mechanical proficiency with a deep understanding of game mechanics.

#11 Punkass

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:34 PM

View PostProfiteer, on 09 June 2013 - 07:55 PM, said:

Better idea: charge MC if you want to see it ;)

Remember, people paid for CoD Elite :)

#12 Dude42

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • LocationFL, USA

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:42 PM

I read the OP. I disagree.

#13 Dude42

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • LocationFL, USA

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:54 PM

View PostNeverfar, on 09 June 2013 - 09:51 PM, said:

Any more to offer?

There is no dislike button.

#14 Mechsniper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 457 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:01 PM

Better idea. Get rid of ELO completely and instill server ranking requirements by amount of exp earned. ELO will consistently shaft those players who build up good mechs and have decent skill. They will never be "great" because this is a TEAM game and being constantly stuck with poor players is a recipe for the good players to say "screw you guys, I'm going home" and they take their MC with them. Unless all they do is drop synched 4 mans and 8 mans all day. I hate ELO, it makes for the sorriest team mates ever in a drop, and I am not what I consider a good player, just over a 1.0 k/d. Put in weight balance into matchmaking as well, and get rid of this all players get a trophy mentality. If no one can improve their stats due to being hamstrung by progressively worse teammates, what is the point?

#15 Parliment

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 160 posts
  • LocationBehind you ...go ahead and look I dare you.

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:03 PM

I think you should be able to show it if you choose

#16 SirLANsalot

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:16 PM

View Postsupernachos, on 09 June 2013 - 10:03 PM, said:

I think you should be able to show it if you choose

Wont change anything. People will troll the **** out of you if you hide it, because then they assume you have something to hide, like a bad score.

IDC either way, I know how "good" I am with certain mechs, and how I suck with others, the same applies for maps too.

Public stats would be good, but not the "ELO". And as others have said, ELO is just a bad idea no matter what. The matchmaking based on classes was about the best balanced thing out there. Back then if you took an awesome, you knew the enemy had either an Atlas or another Awesome. Now days if that came back, you take an assault, then you know the enemy has one too. Perfectly balanced fighting, class vs class. Today we have some random crap thats just all kinds of weird, you can have no lights at all, but still come up against 4 man light teams, and get smoked on base caps or bases on conquest.

#17 DocBach

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:20 PM

View PostVictor Morson, on 09 June 2013 - 08:06 PM, said:

I am of the school of thought that you need a balance: Do not list the hard stat ELO numbers, but instead come up with a number of brackets and announce when you enter a new bracket. Basically how StarCraft 2 handles it, more or less.

This brings less number gaming while at the same time more transparency.

Elite, Veteran, Regular, Green

#18 Kaeb Odellas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationKill the meat, save the metal

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:23 PM

I've already seen folks dismiss each another person's arguments by attacking his Elo score. They don't even know anyone's Elo, and yet they still use it in arguments!

#19 Dude42

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • LocationFL, USA

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:33 PM

View PostKaeb Odellas, on 09 June 2013 - 10:23 PM, said:

I've already seen folks dismiss each another person's arguments by attacking his Elo score. They don't even know anyone's Elo, and yet they still use it in arguments!

Exactly. So why not show it? Or have leagues, or allow you to choose to show it, or just... anything.

#20 Inkarnus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:41 PM

they said they make Leaderboards
screw showing elo anyways more problems then gain
if your a good player u know it if not
well work on your selfesteme ^^
but dont eva on hell show us eva
player stats too look at as our
own in a teamgame its bad
since most ppl want to serve
there epeen instead of
working and helping the team

Edited by Inkarnus, 09 June 2013 - 10:41 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users