Project Phoenix: Start Plan Your Locust Lct-1V

74 replies to this topic

#1 Sunrise86

• Pip
  • The Spider's Web
  • The Spider
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:46 AM

As i know if you try buy the any other 3 mech (Shadow Hawk, Tunderbolt or Battlemaster), you will buy Locust LCT-1V together and this will be my http://LCT-1V

so, how your? <_<

#2 ZionStation

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 46 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:43 AM

I'd say drop a few heatsinks because you obiously dont need them, and add a LPL instead of the LL

#3 heleqin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 101 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:03 AM

View PostZionStation, on 02 July 2013 - 07:43 AM, said:

I'd say drop a few heatsinks because you obiously dont need them, and add a LPL instead of the LL

not possible, the 170 engine only has 6 internal heat sinks, 10 heat sinks are the required minimum to launch a mech, so the 4 external are required.

that being said, it looks like a good design. i haven't decided if i'll be building mine similarly or if i'm going to go the 4 machine gun route with a smaller laser

Edited by heleqin, 16 October 2013 - 09:35 PM.

#4 Caswallon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 540 posts
  • LocationArboris

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:22 AM

Good solid attempt!
May try it out this way myself, the only ? I have is depending on the hit boxes of the Locust I might shift more of the armour front to back on the sides and Possibly even drop head Armour to give those dinky arms the max? I dunno about that though maybe maybe not..

#5 Hex Pallett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:00 PM

Super Mini Zombie with 4xMG and 1xML

Standard Light Build with 4xMG and 1xML

One thing that refrains me from buying Phoenix is that...these 'Mechs are pretty damn weak (except for Battlemaster maybe). Anyway. After me getting almost 500 damage with my Spider 5K in one match and scoring around 200+ in every other, I decided to always get the MGs in my Lights if possible.

#6 MonkeyCheese

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:38 PM

View PostSunrise86, on 02 July 2013 - 04:46 AM, said:

As i know if you try buy the any other 3 mech (Shadow Hawk, Tunderbolt or Battlemaster), you will buy Locust LCT-1V together and this will be my http://LCT-1V

so, how your? ;)

Been trying to get my head around this mech after I found it in the smurfy mechlab but the best I can do is exactly the same as your build with a LL and 2 mg, the only other sane option I would do is a LL and AMS.

Definately the wrong variant to make the hero mech, nothing to entice people to buy just the 20 dollar package for just the lights if this is the poster child, especially with the way machine guns are.

Half ton ammo, removing the limit on a minimum of 10 heatsinks and removing the speed cap are a must for this to be viable.

At least the 5k spider has more armor and jumpjets on its side, the locust and flea better be real small.

#7 Johnny Reb

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio. However, I hate the Suckeyes!

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:45 PM

Um...erLL with dbl hs can fire with impunity with range or nothing but a lps.

edit: yeah, terrible mech for the 20 duckets. If it was the Urbie then there is a reason for a worthless mech!

Edited by Johnny Reb, 02 July 2013 - 09:47 PM.

#8 1453 R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:52 PM

With the game's current MechLab limitations, the Locust is going to have to work hard to make room for itself. This variant...I'm not sure I see it.

The Locust can't possibly be as trololol ridiculous as the Spider - the Spider may be ten tons heavier, but it moves just as fast as the Locust with that pithy little 170 cap, has all the jump jets, and is really g*ddamn hard to hit as it is. The Locust can't really have more annoying-to-hit hitboxes than the Spider.

It also can't carry any real firepower at all. The large laser/2x MG build is pretty much the limit of the Locust's combat power, and since the game's current engine limitations means that the Jenner can be just as fast as the Locust with a huge increase in armor and firepower - as well as its now-vastly-more-important jump capability! - there's not much one can do with the poor twig.

The Locust, just as much as the Flea, needed to coincide with an increase in the game's overall maximum speeds in order to stand a chance. Something as tiny and fragile as a Locust relies on its speed to stay alive, and the Locust just doesn't have it. Not when every other light 'Mech out there (barring two Ravens) can be just as fast as it can. It's cool that we've got the thing, but short of total tonnage-based matchmaking becoming a thing, I'm not seeing the Locust as taking off.

#9 MonkeyCheese

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:25 PM

View Post1453 R, on 02 July 2013 - 09:52 PM, said:

With the game's current MechLab limitations, the Locust is going to have to work hard to make room for itself. This variant...I'm not sure I see it.

The Locust can't possibly be as trololol ridiculous as the Spider - the Spider may be ten tons heavier, but it moves just as fast as the Locust with that pithy little 170 cap, has all the jump jets, and is really g*ddamn hard to hit as it is. The Locust can't really have more annoying-to-hit hitboxes than the Spider.

It also can't carry any real firepower at all. The large laser/2x MG build is pretty much the limit of the Locust's combat power, and since the game's current engine limitations means that the Jenner can be just as fast as the Locust with a huge increase in armor and firepower - as well as its now-vastly-more-important jump capability! - there's not much one can do with the poor twig.

The Locust, just as much as the Flea, needed to coincide with an increase in the game's overall maximum speeds in order to stand a chance. Something as tiny and fragile as a Locust relies on its speed to stay alive, and the Locust just doesn't have it. Not when every other light 'Mech out there (barring two Ravens) can be just as fast as it can. It's cool that we've got the thing, but short of total tonnage-based matchmaking becoming a thing, I'm not seeing the Locust as taking off.

Yup basically every other light mech other than the 2x/4x ravens can cap out at 150kph along with the 40 ton cicadas and they can all pack so much more armor, firepower and ammo sometimes along with jumpjets, now that I have actually seen a 20ton mech in the smurfy mechlab it is quite obvious that without chages to heatsinks and the speedcap the locust and flea really will be dead in the water when they come.

And If this looks bad already then dont forget that the MASC module will have weight and crit space on the flea....

#10 Waking One

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 427 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:00 PM

At least the flea will be able to fit 5 lasers while being tiny. It's amazing compared to this. ;)

#11 Corbon Zackery

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:06 PM

The Locust is only 20tons so you want to build for max speed. I would drop a XL in it to save weight, endo, FF to max out its weak armor.

Then drop a ER Large laser into CT energy AMS is a must couple of MG and ammo your not going to get a AC 20 on the thing.

The other 2 builds will be streaks or LRM 5 with ER large lasers.

It will be the fastest thing on the battlefield it will also pop if a high alpha strike hits you.

#12 Shiro Matsumoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 492 posts
  • Locationon "The island"

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:51 PM

View PostMonkeyCheese, on 02 July 2013 - 09:38 PM, said:

Been trying to get my head around this mech after I found it in the smurfy mechlab but the best I can do is exactly the same as your build with a LL and 2 mg, the only other sane option I would do is a LL and AMS.

Definately the wrong variant to make the hero mech, nothing to entice people to buy just the 20 dollar package for just the lights if this is the poster child, especially with the way machine guns are.

Half ton ammo, removing the limit on a minimum of 10 heatsinks and removing the speed cap are a must for this to be viable.

At least the 5k spider has more armor and jumpjets on its side, the locust and flea better be real small.

That thing is 5 tons lighter than as Commando.. i relly hope its small enough.

#13 An Ax Murderer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 116 posts
  • LocationUSA, North Carolina

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:51 PM

After much pulling of the hair, and contemplating why this mech' is even here, I have come up with this, after some tweaking.

LCT-1V

I'm not a light person, but I figured I would give it a look for shiits. Still baffled by how the head has 17 armor and the side torsos only have 15.. :rolleyes:

#14 Skadi

• 4,268 posts
  • LocationUtgarde Pinnacle

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:56 PM

Don't plan on using it, at all, its just going to be eye candy for me, as canon wise it has no torso twist, and only 1 energy in the ct and the other weapons are currently worthless, rather pilot a spider.
Still cool looking mech though *goes back to tweaking his builds for the other 3 mechs*

Edited by Skadi, 03 July 2013 - 06:58 PM.

#15 3Xtr3m3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 717 posts
  • LocationOn Your Six

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:32 PM

Wonder if you can get XP or Loyalty points for taking a hit instead of your teammates.

#16 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:15 PM

View PostMonkeyCheese, on 02 July 2013 - 09:38 PM, said:

You forget, you get 3 of any Phoenix Mech, only the popular variants have been shown so far but each will have 2 other variants.

The 1V is the one the Spider 5K mocks and challenges to 1-on-1 duels, it will also replace the SDR-5K as the Mech to show how good a pilot you are.

Possible Locust variants and hardpoints
1E - 4 Energy, 2 per arm I think.
1M - 1 Energy, 2 Missile (comes with LRM5)
1S - 1 Energy, 2 Missile (comes with SRM2)
1Vb - 5 Energy, upgraded tech included (XL, Endo, Ferro, DHS, ML, 2MPL, 2SPL)
3D - 2 Missile, upgraded tech (maybe not, came out in 3049)
3M - 5 Energy, upgraded tech including AMS (maybe not, came out in 3050)
3S - 1 Energy, 2 Missile, upgraded tech (comes with Streaks) (maybe not, came out in 3049)
3V - 2 Energy, 2 Ballistic

With 2 others possible, I think one will be a 1M/1S, the other either 1E or 1Vb.
If only the 1V was the 3V.

#17 MonkeyCheese

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:19 AM

View PostMerchant, on 03 July 2013 - 08:15 PM, said:

You forget, you get 3 of any Phoenix Mech, only the popular variants have been shown so far but each will have 2 other variants.

The 1V is the one the Spider 5K mocks and challenges to 1-on-1 duels, it will also replace the SDR-5K as the Mech to show how good a pilot you are.

3S - 1 Energy, 2 Missile, upgraded tech (comes with Streaks) (maybe not, came out in 3049)

With 2 others possible, I think one will be a 1M/1S, the other either 1E or 1Vb.

If so ill have a 1 energy/2 missile one and a 3v for my insane ac2/ 2 small laser builds...

#18 Shadey99

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:02 PM

View PostMerchant, on 03 July 2013 - 08:15 PM, said:

The 3M was the most common of the Grey Death Core upgrade designs for the Locust... and aren't we in 3050? If not the Raven 3L shouldn't exist as is it was introduced in 3050 as well. Though it would make a great 'hero mech' version for later on...

I'm not sure why they would go with the 1vb over the 3M, though really either design is still 5 EHP, so the builds will be similar.

1S & 3S are basically identical for game purposes as well with 1 EHP & 2 MHP. Our flexible system makes alot of similar builds. The 1M & 3D are the 10 tubes (total) variation on the 2 tube 1S & 3S.

I really wish they would say what other variants they plan on giving us...

#19 Mootrix

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 24 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:45 PM

I'm a Spider 5D pilot by choice so I like the fast mechs, however the only thing I can think of to do with it is to make it a zombie build with a large pulse for hit and run attacks

Locust Zombie

However as the general consensus seems to be, unless it has a TINY target profile and/or amazing manoeuvrability it is not going to worth using when so many other lights do it better (on paper at least).

Fortunately the SHD-2H does look like an interesting missile build mech :D

Edited by Mootrix, 18 July 2013 - 06:52 PM.

#20 Benjamin Davion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 367 posts
  • LocationIn my Spider 5D, killing all your Dire Wolves.

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:09 PM

I've played around with this thing and the only thing I find myself liking so far is this: x4MG x1SPL

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users