"caannot Connect To Remote Server While Starting Client

9 replies to this topic

#1 HeavyGun

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:03 PM

For the last 2 weeks when I start the client after it starts and sits for about 30 sec or so I keep getting the message "Unable to connect to the remote server". Before the 2 weeks game ran fine, made no changes to computer, no updates or anything installed. If I close the error window and restart the client it will sometimes work and can play the game fine. Also it shows on the patch or play screen the little "Server Status" in upper left which is Red. Putting mouse over that it says "Unable to obtain Server Status". So that is my Desktop Computer. I am on my laptop and have no problems game works fine. Also this is where it gets funny because I don't have any problems running any other game or getting on the web with my desktop just the Client and the MWO Website and forum as I also cannot connect to this website and login most the time so how is the website and client conspiring against me on my desktop. My Desktop runs WinXP 64 and hardwired to router, my laptop runs Win 7 and is on wifi. Broadband reports website shows nothing wrong with connection. Anyone got any ideas whats going on?

#2 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:56 PM

Reset your IE options back to default. The launchpad/patcher uses IE hooks (basically, why reinvent the wheel if someone has already done it).

There is a log file in the MWO which likely shows something like this

29/10/2012 8:30:22 PM - main - Local patcher version: 0
29/10/2012 8:30:22 PM - main - Checking patch inventory at http://patcher.mwome.../Production/...
29/10/2012 8:30:22 PM - main - Connecting for maintenance check: http://patcher.mwome...cked_status.txt
29/10/2012 8:30:28 PM - main !!! - Could not connect to patch server - Unable to connect to the remote server
29/10/2012 8:30:28 PM - main - Caught an error while checking for the patch inventory: Error checking for maintenance: Unable to connect to the remote server

#3 Redwood Elf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:21 AM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 10 July 2013 - 08:56 PM, said:

Reset your IE options back to default. The launchpad/patcher uses IE hooks (basically, why reinvent the wheel if someone has already done it).

There is a log file in the MWO which likely shows something like this

29/10/2012 8:30:22 PM - main - Local patcher version: 0
29/10/2012 8:30:22 PM - main - Checking patch inventory at http://patcher.mwome.../Production/...
29/10/2012 8:30:22 PM - main - Connecting for maintenance check: http://patcher.mwome...cked_status.txt
29/10/2012 8:30:28 PM - main !!! - Could not connect to patch server - Unable to connect to the remote server
29/10/2012 8:30:28 PM - main - Caught an error while checking for the patch inventory: Error checking for maintenance: Unable to connect to the remote server

Haven't used IE in nearly 10 years...what about us Firefox users? You may want to make alternate connection hooks for non-IE users, or at release you're going to get a LOT of people who won't be able to install or run the game.

#4 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:30 AM

IE comes default with Windows.
Control Panel, Internet Options. ding.

I primarily use Firefox too but you will many companies, be it games, etc that will use IE hooks to simplify settings and code. And lots of people will be able to install and run the game. It issue occurs when a 3rd party program/malware makes changes to IE settings, or data corruption due to a bad shutdown or such.

By NetMarketShare's PC count, Internet Explorer (IE) squeezed out a tiny 0.01 percent gain, from 55.82 percent to 55.83 percent. In second place, Firefox moved up by 0.09 percent, from 20.12-percent to 20.21-percent. Third-place Chrome gained the most with a modest jump of 0.18 points from 16.27 percent to 16.45 percent.

#5 Redwood Elf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:36 AM

So, where do I go to find the settings that need resetting, under Internet Options in tools? (like I said, haven't used IE in a VERY long time...)

#6 Shamous13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationKitchener, Ont.

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:21 AM

open IE, Go to tools on the top menu, select internet options, select the advanced tab, at the bottom of that tab is reset IE settings.... press the button.

#7 HeavyGun

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:28 PM

Okay I tried resetting IE, but to no avail, it still is giving me the error message. This is the is what the log file shows:

Caught an exception somewhere in the patcher. Closing down...
Exception messages:
-------------------
Unable to connect to the remote server
-A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 70.42.29.74:80
--------------------------
+System.Net.WebException: Unable to connect to the remote server ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 70.42.29.74:80
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoConnect(EndPoint endPointSnapshot, SocketAddress socketAddress)
at System.Net.ServicePoint.ConnectSocketInternal(Boolean connectFailure, Socket s4, Socket s6, Socket& socket, IPAddress& address, ConnectSocketState state, IAsyncResult asyncResult, Int32 timeout, Exception& exception)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at Patcher.GamePatcherForm..ctor(Boolean a_bIsBackgroundPatcher, Boolean a_bIsDedicatedServerPatcher)
at Patcher.Program.Main(String[] a_args)

I have also reinstalled the game on my desktop and that didn't change anything. So any other ideas? Thanks for help by the way I appreciate it.

#8 Flagrum

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:45 PM

Same here, can't install, can't do anything but see the MWO graphic show up, then disapear, got it to show me an error message about not connecting.

I think the game is either busted or dead, went through all different options, and no the client fixer doesn't work or run either.

#9 RogueGhost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 150 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 December 2014 - 11:32 AM

Same issue. repair tool didnt help.

#10 Bad Karma 308

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 411 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 11:49 AM

RogueGhost was able to fix this issue..... Apparently his Firewall was blocking the client from the update. We dropped his firewall, let it patch, then raised it back up.. Now he is connecting and playing with no issues.

Hope this helps. B)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users