Player Ranking And Priority Drop Weights

49 replies to this topic

Poll: should there be a player ranking / leveling? (172 member(s) have cast votes)

Should there be a player ranking / leveling system? (E1 to O9? Green to Ace "Black")

1. Yes. (123 votes [71.51%])

Percentage of vote: 71.51%

2. No. (49 votes [28.49%])

Percentage of vote: 28.49%

Should Higher Ranked players be given "Tonnage Priority" over less experienced players?

1. Yes. (37 votes [21.51%])

Percentage of vote: 21.51%

2. No. (135 votes [78.49%])

Percentage of vote: 78.49%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Harathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 970 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:37 AM

View PostVolthorne, on 18 July 2013 - 11:14 AM, said:

Would you rather have a bad player in an Assault where he can damage sponge or a Light where he'll get instagibbed and then then your team is down one with 0 benefits?

Neither. Roland would rather have him not playing the game at all.

#42 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:42 AM

View PostFire and Salt, on 24 April 2014 - 10:16 AM, said:

After a player finishes a game in a trial mech, if their damage is 3x their tonnage, they get a message saying:
"Great work in the Jenner, cadet. We were impressed with your performance, so we are issuing you a sensor range module to be used in the Jenner."

EQUIPMENT REWARDS for achievments???

PGI... ^^^^THIS!^^^^

#43 Bobzilla

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,003 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:22 AM

How would one obtain a rank that is reflective of how good/skilled player they actually are?

If you can figure out a good method to do that, change the MM to that method with like ranks dropping together and there is no need to have the whole, higher rank heavier mech part.

Edited by Bobzilla, 20 May 2014 - 10:23 AM.

#44 The Massive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 331 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 10 August 2014 - 11:20 PM

Yes. Difficult to implement. EG. I'm a noob. I just paid $30 for the Boars Head coz I love atlas'. Can't use it because ranking.

Solve this problem and you'll have a good idea. B)

#45 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 21 August 2015 - 05:00 AM

ok one question:
CW is not judging rank.
How does your system make sure I do not outplay the tier to lower myself and bring the full tonage meta drophorror amongst newbies and high tier restricted people?

you example implies tiers are correctly judged and not to be manipulated on intention.

#46 Electroflameageddon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 236 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 12:59 PM

I have only been playing for about a month.

I made the conscious decision to start with a light. It wasn't great, died ALOT. Barely managed on a good game to pull my weight in damage (35 points) and generally was pretty useless.

I wasn't enjoying the game at all.

I bought a Hunchback and after finding a load out that I'm comfortable with, I can usually on a good day pump out 6 to 8 times my weight in damage. Some maps are better than others.

If I was forced to only play a light mech at first and had to hit some magical number before I could go up to another mech, I wouldn't be playing the game at all. Period. Too frustrating.

If they set up a system where other people call out what mechs the user has to use to play, I won't play. If enough people feel the same way, Piranha will lose money and will eventually be forced to close the servers down. Then everybody loses.

I still try to use the Spider, still can't do squat. However, I can consistently pull in 3 to 6 times my weight in a Jenner. Same tonnage, just a different load out and this is without finishing the basic tier for skill points.

#47 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 24 August 2015 - 06:04 PM

Brianna, ignore the damage/weight formula some crackpots seem to spew as the only evidence of contribution. Contribution to winning a match is not always a quantifiable number in this game. Sometimes, by being that sacrificial death, you can be the reason your team won even when you do 10 points of damagem you were still the reason your team won. Let the little boys thump their chests and scream how it was all them. In the end, you know what you enabled them to do.

Find your role you are most comfortable with and just learn to play the game the way you enjoy and can contribute. Real men and women know better. The rest are honestly ignorant, deluded or liars.

#48 Giving Em The Business

• PipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 66 posts
  • LocationOn your six, duct tape at the ready

Posted 24 August 2015 - 07:04 PM

View Postgavilatius, on 17 July 2013 - 06:29 PM, said:

This is going to be easy to understand but complex to draw it out.

Military Branches have ranks from E1 to E9 and then officer ranks from O1 to O11. In Battletech, Rank determines your skill as a pilot and a leader, with heavier chassis being available the higher rank you hold.

in short, your rank should determine what weight chassis you can hold.

Say for instance You have a drop weight of 320 tons with 3 Stalker and a Locust for S&Gs and a pilot pool of an O5 an E9 an E5 and a noob I mean E1.

in a game without ranks we would most likely see that E1 in an Stalker forcing other players to conform to a now diminished team due to weight limits.

in a game with earned ranks, that O5 (which for the sake of gaming is an E9 + 5) and that E9 can jump for those Stalkers leaving the E5 and E1 to fall in their respective places. the O5 can vouch for lance (4/4) and maybe even team (4/8/12/16) command if he's ranked high enough, OR he can pass is down to the E9 who needs a bit more practice.

TO CONCLUDE: by adding a mechanic to weight limits in which players with higher skill (given by rank and some other math) are given weight priority over those who are less experienced can increase the value of heavier chassis AND light mechs, while giving those who are less prestigious something to work for, on top of mech experience.

You sir have never seen LoL ranked lobbies have you?
The games are won and lost there mostly with ROLE or FEED mentality.
Im "smurfing" Im really a master tier jungler blah blah blah, me me me.
It makes it so sometimes you just have to take the LP hit and dodge for your own sanity.
If you think that people won't cry "smurf" or AFK if they don't get the mech they want you are nuts.

On top of that your solution assumes much imo.
To continue with the same LoL analogy, you are forcing the newer players, such as myself, into the last pick support role.
The problem is they/we/me don't belong there (yet).
Supports and lights are a refined skill and distinctly different from all other mechs/positions in the game.
Why would you want a noob wagon supporting you?
If you are so good (not implying that you said any such thing) then carry my a$$.
The good need to support the bad at first not the other way around.
I can't "get gud" if I am forced into whatever mech you decide I am worthy of each match.
There is no consistency there, and on top of that lets say using your example that I am the best one match of the baddies;
Again the tonnage is wasted because I was forced to play everything but heavies and assaults because "hey you're last pick kid" most of the time and have no experience in anything but a light and most likely still a baddie.

If you don't agree then go right ahead and focus fire by yourself, without support. (yes this is technically impossible hence the point)
Now tell me where to aim my Assault reticle and lets try this again, only this time you are in a lighter mech.
Notice the imaginary difference? It's because instead of dictating what mech I got to pilot you communicated and helped me pilot the one I was in.
This would indicate that in fact the "noob" would do better with more armor, faster torso twist speed, and weapons capable of actually doing more than paint scratching outside of 190m and teamwork is OP.

Now yes there will be the baddie who will refuse to listen.
You just have to try and carry the game not harder but smarter with what you have left.
It's either that or QQ here about it and judging from your post my guess is you would rather get back to the business (pun intended) of playing.

Let's not even go into the "leveling services" industry which will spring up overnight and give the good players some really weird matches.
"Can't play that Atlas? No Problem, at ABC leveling we will have you in one in 24 hours flat or your money back"

I apologize for not having a solution, but yeah if PGI does that then GGCLOSE I'm gone.

No just No, Worst Idea NA.

Edited by Giving Em The Business, 24 August 2015 - 07:43 PM.

#49 Electroflameageddon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 236 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 09:47 AM

Kjudoon,

I understand what you are saying. I've had a couple of matches where I've had 2 or 3 kills with only 90 damage.

This is because, as a light and medium mech, I try to flank and back stab. I see that you are rewarded for flanking when it calculates your score and that fits my play style and personality.

I still like to look at how much damage I've done relative to my weight though. When I'm running a HBK-4G, I prefer to do 400+ damage. This means that most of my AC20 rounds landed on target and that my aim is improving. I'm using it to gage how well I'm doing personally. It makes me smile to have either lots of assists or a decent amount of kills and assists. Always trying to improve that, and some days/maps are better than others. I also look at the assists to damage ratio to gage how I'm doing.

I know in the stats section that you can see your hit percentage and that is nice. I just don't have time to look at that, as I am gainfully employed.

I pretty much ignore the chest thumpers and the "this team sucks" people. Like I care what an anonymous person says about how I play a video game. Don't understand that mentality, nor do I care to try.

#50 Adaram1090

Rookie

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 09:28 AM

As one of the "bad players" (I've only be at this a couple of weeks), I wouldn't want to be told I can only play certain classes. Should noobs be playing Assault Mechs? Probably not. They're slower and bigger targets. Personally I've given up on playing them, for the moment (Executioners and Dire Wolves were just too slow for me and there was just too much going on). But the appeal for better weapons and armor is there. New players want that so they can do damage and get kills. If you're still getting the hang of maneuvering, a faster mech may be a detriment because you are forced to react that much faster when you face an enemy. You want to be able to react to seeing an enemy and be able put weapons on them while not getting killed in the first 5 seconds. Plus, by allowing players a chance at all classes, gives them a chance to find the class they prefer. Some will want slower mechs, others faster ones.

I'll be sticking to my Summoner and Timberwolf for now. They're a good balance of armor, damage, and speed.

That said, new players should not be able to take company or lance command.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users