3D Printed Full Color Sarah's Jenner

33 replies to this topic

#21 Blaximus

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • 31 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 August 2013 - 03:38 PM

Wow these printers are amazing. Looks awesome, Sarah's family would love that. Gonna have to shed a few to pilot that though. :)

#22 t Khrist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 656 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Mitten

Posted 10 August 2013 - 03:58 PM

Absolutely amazing. Very nice quality and detail. Also great choice of mech to print. Kudos.

#23 M i s t y

• PipPipPip
  • Hero of Steiner
  • Hero of Steiner
  • 56 posts
  • LocationTamworth

Posted 10 August 2013 - 04:01 PM

Great Job , Horned Owl .
You should donate that to Sarah's family . Or you should Auction it off for Cancer Research . That would be the Honourable thing to do with something that beautiful :)

#24 Unnatural Growth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 05:00 PM

He already said he's giving it to the father.

To the OP, I would be happy to contribute $ to help defray your expense in making that awesome model.

#25 Horned Owl

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 28 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 10 August 2013 - 07:16 PM

Thanks for the generous comments, everyone. I would be honored to donate this to the family on behalf of myself and my company 3D Figureworks, and I am already in progress of just that through PGI.

I will not accept any money from anyone to alleviate my cost of this. To be honest, all this cost me was my modeling and prep time (which will remain arbitrary) and miniature print cost (again, arbitrary).

(I am not saying I modeled and texture the mech, I most certainly did not. Modeling and prep time refers to modeling the base and VW Beetle as well as prepping the game model for 3D print.)

I am simply stating this for clarification. :)

#26 mp00

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • 319 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationIn a bottle, Canada

Posted 10 August 2013 - 07:29 PM

Awesome in more then one way! That looks great and put a smile on my face for doing Sarahs jenner :)

#27 Airwolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 149 posts
  • LocationWhere's the dropship? I want off this rock!

Posted 10 August 2013 - 08:07 PM

Tons of kudos to Horned Owl & 3D Figureworks ... *INCREDIBLE* ... just simply incredible..... :)

#28 Trantor

• PipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 25 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:59 AM

Great work Horned Owl.
The ZPrinter's are really a great piece of engeneering :( . Only horrible expensive, but the best u can get for professional 3D printing.

Edited by Trantor, 27 August 2013 - 08:02 AM.

#29 Narcissistic Martyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:20 PM

I love it Horned Owl. Unfortunately, as clumsy as I am I'd break any sandshape figurines during play. On the bright side, the upcoming ProDesk3D printer form Bot Objects can print PLA and ABS in full color for just under $3000. I just wish I had the money to buy one for myself.

#30 Valcrow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:33 PM

View PostNarcissistic Martyr, on 28 August 2013 - 02:20 PM, said:

I love it Horned Owl. Unfortunately, as clumsy as I am I'd break any sandshape figurines during play. On the bright side, the upcoming ProDesk3D printer form Bot Objects can print PLA and ABS in full color for just under $3000. I just wish I had the money to buy one for myself.

I don't think that prodesk is full colour in the way that Horned owl's printer is. It just looks like it switches filament on the fly. You can achieve similar effects if you take a standard makerbot type printer, and feed in a different filament colour as it's printing. and you'll get that nice gradient shade on a vase type object. But you would never be able to achieve a textured surface using that method like horned owl's print. That's a far stretch from depositing a specific colour in a specific spot like the sandstone prints.

The info on their website looks purposefully misleading to be honest. While they technically aren't lying about it's capabilities, it's suggesting without saying that it can do full colour prints, when it is only merely capable of switchable colours as it prints. It might still be worth it for what it comes with, but don't buy assuming it is capable of sandstone type prints in ABS/PLA. You'll be able to get a rainbow jenner at best. ;)

Nice design though, and stats are good, definitely an improvement over my cube of wood looking printer ^_^

Kudos to you for the donation of the 3D work and print Horned owl!

#31 Trantor

• PipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 25 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:13 AM

You are right Valcrow.
For his priceclass the ProDesk3D isn't bad, but not really comparable to a Zprinter650.
This Zprinter Horned Owl used costs around 50-60k USD basic and his quality and comfort is far beyond any SoHo-3D Printers.

Edited by Trantor, 29 August 2013 - 01:19 AM.

#32 9erRed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:59 PM

Greetings all,

The 3D printing is going crazy with industrial printers being used in some of the strangest places.

Not to high jack this thread but there's a shop in a Dubia mall that will print you, that's right a mini you in 3d and colour. And looks like they are using the ZCorp 650 Printer.

Here's the video:
http://www.youtube.c...d&v=g9PRHKP6N0A

And an image:

Posted Image

$300-$400 US and about 8 to 10 day turn around, but still crazy as the public access to this 3D technology was not even here 3 years ago.

Later,
9erRed

Edited by 9erRed, 29 August 2013 - 09:04 PM.

#33 Horned Owl

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 28 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:00 PM

This kind of stuff is exactly what we do where I work at:

http://www.3dfigureworks.com/

The difference between us and them though, is we offer customization of their print.

For example, some of the cooler things I have done their at the customers request was model and encase the customer in Carbonite. I had to model the Carbonite sarcophagus (just like Han Solo) from scratch with the model of him inside it. This was printed 11 inches long.

Another thing we have done was print another person as Rambo in the pose from Rambo: First Blood complete with huge gun, and ammo sleeve around the torso. He obviously did not wear this kind of stuff into our studio, lol. This was printed 7 inches high.

Not everyone orders stuff like that though. They are a bit on the expensive time as they require a lot of modeling time, but they are genuinely unique.

However, I'm not going to lie, this is a pretty sweet job!

Edited by Horned Owl, 30 August 2013 - 08:17 PM.

#34 desan476

• PipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 47 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Locationunderground

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:21 AM

Wow what an amazing print. I am really looking forward to year 2050 (approximately) when the 3D printing technology will arrive to Slovakia. Hope that I will not be dead in that time :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users