Mechwarrior 4 On Steam?

18 replies to this topic

#1 death2142zerg

• Pip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:27 PM

I was wondering how many people out there think it might be a good idea for the mechwarrior games to be put onto Steam (specifically MW4 Vengeance but any would work). I think it would be good idea. Anyone else have any input on the matter?

#2 dal10

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts
  • Locationsomewhere near a bucket of water and the gates of hell.

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:30 PM

they would have to update it for 64 bit operating systems, that is a pain.

#3 Fabe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 04:28 PM

I think its more likely we'll see it on good old games first rather then steam. We might even get really lucky and get a MW bundle with all the old games for a reasonable price.

#4 death2142zerg

• Pip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 05:19 PM

View PostFabe, on 16 August 2013 - 04:28 PM, said:

I think its more likely we'll see it on good old games first rather then steam. We might even get really lucky and get a MW bundle with all the old games for a reasonable price.

That would be a nice touch to be able to get a MW bundle. Tho i have never heard of "good old games".

#5 death2142zerg

• Pip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:19 PM

View Postdal10, on 16 August 2013 - 12:30 PM, said:

they would have to update it for 64 bit operating systems, that is a pain.

Ya they would have to do some updating with it but my copy works fine on 64 bit i only have one problem and that is with install but once I get it past there it works fine.

#6 Fabe

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:00 PM

View Postdeath2142zerg, on 16 August 2013 - 05:19 PM, said:

That would be a nice touch to be able to get a MW bundle. Tho i have never heard of "good old games".

http://www.gog.com/

If you haven't already found it,classic games at good prices that are DRM free.

#7 alanwescoat

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBusan

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:10 AM

MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries was released a couple of years ago as a free game and to the best of my knowledge is still actively played. It works perfectly in Windows 7 x64. Apparently, it also works on Linux under WINE.

[redacted]

Edited by Egomane, 03 April 2014 - 12:42 AM.
removed download link

#8 Fuerchtegott

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:34 AM

Doesn't Microsoft hold the license in it's claws?

#9 alanwescoat

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBusan

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:29 AM

View PostFuerchtegott, on 17 August 2013 - 06:34 AM, said:

Doesn't Microsoft hold the license in it's claws?

The guys at MekTek over a couple of years convinced Microsoft to release it as a free game.

#10 ripstop

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 18 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:28 PM

Yes, Mektek modded the game and eventually were allowed to release the original MW4:Mercenaries free from their site. I loved league play with the Mektek mod.

Mercs. had a very good server lobby where you could customize everything from drop weight to map weather. I sorely miss that in this game.

#11 death2142zerg

• Pip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:48 AM

I like mercs but my favorite was vengence and black knight mostly because I like the stories. I never got my multiplayer to work was just a bit confusing at the time. Also I found that they got very expencive on amazon.com (nearly $100) for a copy of MW4:V.

#12 OnLashoc

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,093 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationColumbus, OH

Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:20 PM

Got it downloaded and installed, went to run game and it says insert Disk 2... :/

#13 Ryan Champion

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:25 PM

View PostOnLashoc, on 02 April 2014 - 06:20 PM, said:

Got it downloaded and installed, went to run game and it says insert Disk 2... :/

I've had my Mercs files for a while(fully functional!), you got this.

#14 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 12:47 AM

How many of these threads do we have?

Well, the situation is as follows:
The only one with the distribution rights for MW4 is Microsoft themself. MekTek formerly held a licence to distribute it, but they stopped doing so. Currently, any website offering MW4 as a download is doing so without acknowledgement of Microsoft and must therefore be considered an illegal source.

I removed the link from this thread. If you find any other thread like this, with a download link that is not directing to a microsoft server, please report it to us.

#15 BAD BOB

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 21 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 October 2014 - 05:12 AM

I'm not sure Microsoft has let Steam distribute any of their games, perhaps to continue promoting the xbox, Halo and such. However, it is a plain way that they could make a significant profit bringing their franchise to Steam. MW4 Mercs would be a great free advertisement to encourage interest in the others, maybe even having the final MekTek modification as a purchasable second version sending back a bit of thanks to Microsoft and Mektek. Never played MW1 myself, but all the others would be a great time again as well as the old Heavy Gear.

Concerning MWO, an integration to Steam allowing Shift+Tab to work in-game and promote to friends would be profitable. So many would see this game on the Steam front page that may not be aware of it any other way.

A little immense perhaps to link cash purchase through Steam for MC options. Not knowledgable enough myself.

#16 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 22 October 2014 - 04:38 AM

working versions of old MW's compatible with current OS? would buy.

View PostBAD BOB, on 21 October 2014 - 05:12 AM, said:

I'm not sure Microsoft has let Steam distribute any of their games, perhaps to continue promoting the xbox, Halo and such. However, it is a plain way that they could make a significant profit bringing their franchise to Steam. MW4 Mercs would be a great free advertisement to encourage interest in the others, maybe even having the final MekTek modification as a purchasable second version sending back a bit of thanks to Microsoft and Mektek. Never played MW1 myself, but all the others would be a great time again as well as the old Heavy Gear.

Concerning MWO, an integration to Steam allowing Shift+Tab to work in-game and promote to friends would be profitable. So many would see this game on the Steam front page that may not be aware of it any other way.

A little immense perhaps to link cash purchase through Steam for MC options. Not knowledgable enough myself.

you can actually integrate MWO into the steam UI and get that overlay. But so far if you have to patch you can't do that via steam-

View PostEgomane, on 03 April 2014 - 12:47 AM, said:

How many of these threads do we have?

Well, the situation is as follows:
The only one with the distribution rights for MW4 is Microsoft themself. MekTek formerly held a licence to distribute it, but they stopped doing so. Currently, any website offering MW4 as a download is doing so without acknowledgement of Microsoft and must therefore be considered an illegal source.

I removed the link from this thread. If you find any other thread like this, with a download link that is not directing to a microsoft server, please report it to us.

how do you know if any websites would have the right or not? are you working for Microsoft in the related department?

Edited by Lily from animove, 22 October 2014 - 04:41 AM.

#17 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 05:08 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 22 October 2014 - 04:38 AM, said:

how do you know if any websites would have the right or not? are you working for Microsoft in the related department?

Because there would be a legal statement or an announcment for it somewhere. As long as there is none, I have to consider all sources, that are not Microsoft or an official online store, like Steam or GoG, to be illegal and you should as well.

Edited by Egomane, 23 October 2014 - 04:32 AM.

#18 Sizzles

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,221 posts
  • LocationWaiting in line for his UrbanMech UM-PP.

Posted 22 October 2014 - 06:25 AM

Illegal things on the internet? who would have guessed . . .

If this was ever to be -legally- patched and released (especially on Steam,) it would be more then likely that you would have to run MS Live with it as well. Then we would have overlays within overlays, Overception.

Though I highly doubt that Microsoft would waste the resources to make such happen.

#19 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 23 October 2014 - 04:04 AM

View PostSizzles, on 22 October 2014 - 06:25 AM, said:

Illegal things on the internet? who would have guessed . . .

If this was ever to be -legally- patched and released (especially on Steam,) it would be more then likely that you would have to run MS Live with it as well. Then we would have overlays within overlays, Overception.

Though I highly doubt that Microsoft would waste the resources to make such happen.

either steam or success would be not there. but Microsoft does not imply no steam.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users