[Mega Update!] In Response To Paul Dismissing 3Pv Scouting Exploits As Ray Tracing Errors

151 replies to this topic

#1 Monky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,219 posts
  • LocationHypothetical Warrior

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:00 AM

***** UPDATE ON POSSIBLE FIX FOR ALL ISSUES *****

OK, here we go on thoughts/examples of a 3rd person view remake

Objectives;

1. Counter 'around the corner' peaking when in 3PV
2. Counter 'over the top' peaking when in 3PV
3. Counter 'against a building but able to see' problem with 3PV + fix the distinctly different ray trace bug error
4. Make the mode more newbie friendly, and less exploitable by veteran/group players.
5. Enhance the SIM feel of 3PV so it feels more like a drone and less like a floating god-eye

Here is a video rundown of the problems;

http://www.twitch.tv...nky/b/450976464

Here is the screenshot with the reduced FOV that I mentioned
Spoiler

Here's screenshots of high FOV + multiple monitors + 3PV vs 1PV borrowed from another post, which would be fixed by the above changes to 3PV
Spoiler

As seen here; http://mwomercs.com/...e-those-queues/

Here are examples on river city which are (seemingly) not ray tracing errors, collected half-assedly over 45 minutes (i got up for a sandwich and took a break to watch a youtube video or three) ;

VIDEO OF 3PV BEING USED FOR JUMP SNIPING
Spoiler

PICTURE EVIDENCE OF BOTH RAY TRACE AND NON RAY TRACE OVERLOOKS

Spoiler

Edited by Monky, 29 August 2013 - 10:05 PM.

#2 StandingCow

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,069 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:13 AM

I am apparently out of likes... but I will fix that once my quota returns!

#3 Monky

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:16 AM

Then I will give one for you in the meantime :D

#4 Distemper

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:30 AM

Thanks for taking the time to put together this post, highlights the issue perfectly.

#5 arkani

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:42 AM

PIGGY will say :
"Working has intended"

#6 PeekaBoo I C Ju

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 421 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationUnder your bed....BOO!

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:47 AM

they need to separate the ques for 3pv, I am not even gonna waste my bandwidth on the update until they do, i view 3pv as a cheat for those very reasons, I use to play socom and it was a 3pv, and the exploits were unbearable...

#7 Chavette

• Little Helper
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:51 AM

View PostPeekaboo I C JU, on 21 August 2013 - 01:47 AM, said:

they need to separate the ques for 3pv, I am not even gonna waste my bandwidth on the update until they do, i view 3pv as a cheat for those very reasons, I use to play socom and it was a 3pv, and the exploits were unbearable...

No need to separate. Just make your choice of view locked in for the matches' length

#8 PeekaBoo I C Ju

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 421 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationUnder your bed....BOO!

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:58 AM

View PostChavette, on 21 August 2013 - 01:51 AM, said:

No need to separate. Just make your choice of view locked in for the matches' length

that would still leave us in the game with people using what is in my opinion a unfair exploit.....i don't want to even be in the match with these players

Edited by Peekaboo I C JU, 21 August 2013 - 01:58 AM.

#9 Huge

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 228 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:59 AM

Or just ******* not shove it down our throats and remove it all together and actually work on making the game functional and with half the content they promised a year ago.

#10 Monky

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:06 AM

View PostDistemper, on 21 August 2013 - 01:30 AM, said:

Thanks for taking the time to put together this post, highlights the issue perfectly.

You're welcome. I honestly think River City is the most forgiving map for 3PV too, aside from viewing side streets w/o exposing yourself, as it's so small it is hard to leverage the scouting. However the best will always push it to the razor's edge.

#11 Peter von Danzig

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:17 AM

Yay, another exploit ingame :D

These pics show perfectly why there should be NO 3PV. I know what MWO will look like in two weeks: 2 ppc, 1 gauss victors toggling between 1PV and 3PV.

I never thought this could happen (that fast) but this game is getting worse every patch :/

#12 Ensaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 831 posts
  • LocationOn a frozen rock .....

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:19 AM

Yep... agree totally.....

1PV

Posted Image

and 3PV
Posted Image

Nuff Said

#13 Mizore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 427 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:00 AM

Especially in competetive 12 vs 12 matches, concerning "scouting" 3PV will surely be abused a lot!

For me that's a no go and thus I'll stay away from competetive 12 vs 12 (e.g. tournaments) until there's a 1PV-only solution.

Edited by Mizore, 24 August 2013 - 02:54 AM.

#14 Rippthrough

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:08 AM

Ah, that made me laugh, one map, few minutes of testing the obvious points of use, PGI fails hard again.

Good work, have a like.
Personally I did a little testing on terra therma and there's spots all over the map where you can use it to look over hills and around corners.
Yet again it seems like the 'internal testing team' doesn't actually do any testing.

Edited by Rippthrough, 21 August 2013 - 05:11 AM.

#15 VagGR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 581 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:14 AM

hey Paul, look!!! we found you another bug... the whole river city map is a huge bug!! arent we the greatest community ever!? no wonder why you keep our wishing list as your top priority!! keep up the good work

#16 Rippthrough

• Mercenary
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:16 AM

Well, since Monky has done such a good job, this might be the thread to put all the rest of the spots in for every other map if he's fine with that?

I've a feeling it'll be a long thread.

#17 nehebkau

• 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:18 AM

Given what you have shown, I can see how 3rd person could be used to gain an advantage. I think the point that PGI would make is that it is not an unfair advantage because everyone has access to it. That being said, I think some changes should be made to what you see when in 3rd person.

There should be no HUD information in 3rd person, no targeting ret, no mech status, no game status and no hit indications. Also, I think the mini-cam should be attackable and once destroyed (like a module) not useable.

#18 DeadlyNerd

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:46 AM

View Postnehebkau, on 21 August 2013 - 06:18 AM, said:

Given what you have shown, I can see how 3rd person could be used to gain an advantage. I think the point that PGI would make is that it is not an unfair advantage because everyone has access to it. That being said, I think some changes should be made to what you see when in 3rd person.

There should be no HUD information in 3rd person, no targeting ret, no mech status, no game status and no hit indications. Also, I think the mini-cam should be attackable and once destroyed (like a module) not useable.

You could still change your view just to check behind cover. Don't need the HUD to do that.
As for a destructible drone. Often 3PV is used to peek above ridges, in which case your drone cannot be seen by the enemy that's on lower ground.

#19 Tragos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 289 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:16 AM

Forced camera after choosing wouldn't change anything, since 3rd person is perfectly viable for most scouts. Press B if you need a map.

Just enable the PROMISED 1pv queue.

#20 Monky

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:31 AM

View PostRippthrough, on 21 August 2013 - 05:16 AM, said:

Well, since Monky has done such a good job, this might be the thread to put all the rest of the spots in for every other map if he's fine with that?

I've a feeling it'll be a long thread.

Go for it, anyone who wants more to add and has maybe 30 minutes to poke around can easily find tons of spots, just be sure it's not the 'pop up and out' camera bug with ray trace

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users