GUT CHECK TIME: MWO... FPS, Tactical RPG, (fill in the blank)?

34 replies to this topic

Poll: GUT CHECK! (112 member(s) have cast votes)

How should MWO gameplay be?

1. Like all previous MechWarrior titles more or less (FPS-ish but in a walking tank). (5 votes [4.46%])

Percentage of vote: 4.46%

2. Similar to previous MechWarrior titles, but with stronger "simulation" aspects: more interesting critical systems damage, more "realistic" aiming and handling of mechs, etc. (61 votes [54.46%])

Percentage of vote: 54.46%

3. Some "randomness" physics number crunching in the background, but still ultimately more of a FPS-ish feel. (Similar to gameplay such as WoT, while avoiding the crappy matchmaking and Pay2win stuff). (9 votes [8.04%])

Percentage of vote: 8.04%

4. Make it something more tactically interesting! Players gain XP and can specialize in certain areas by "boosting" certain skills (whatever that means). No one should be a "master of everything"! (allow for some kind of respec) (33 votes [29.46%])

Percentage of vote: 29.46%

5. Old school RPG: same as option 4 BUT NO RESPECING! (4 votes [3.57%])

Percentage of vote: 3.57%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 MagnusEffect

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 404 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:28 PM

You guys know the drill. Speak and be heard or get out of the way! :)

Let me know if you have a good answer that should be added.

Edited by MagnusEffect, 12 November 2011 - 07:34 PM.

#2 Gaius Cavadus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 404 posts
  • LocationNova Roma, Alphard

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:29 PM

No simulation option?

Disappointing.

#3 Baba Yogi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 452 posts
  • LocationIstanbul

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:31 PM

yea, i was looking for simulation option as well. I like none of the above

#4 FlystreesVagann

• PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:33 PM

View PostCavadus, on 10 November 2011 - 03:29 PM, said:

No simulation option?

Disappointing.

This.. The third option sucks,i don't want to be rewarded with experience and similar ****,all i want is that i could customize interior of mech,and outside,paint and that minor ****. Otherwise would love to see game to be more sim then arcady,not like MechAssault or MechWarrior 4.

#5 MagnusEffect

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 404 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:35 PM

****... poll screwed up.. give me a sec to fix it

#6 Kumakichi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,337 posts
  • LocationYoyodyne Propulsion Factory

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:35 PM

wheres the option for Simulation? We want more of a sim and less of a fragger.

#7 MagnusEffect

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 404 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:38 PM

should be fixed now. delete your votes and resubmit as needed.

#8 TheRulesLawyer

• 1,415 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:50 PM

None of the above? I suppose the WoT is the closest given what most people seem to mean when they say sim. WoT is a terrible model for lots of reasons though.

#9 80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:53 PM

MechWarrior:Online - lets break it down

MechWarrior : What comes to mind? A future Western Mecha' Simulator

Online: - It will be focused entirely on online play

"Mentions of MMO" - MMO: Massive Multiplayer Online. It literally means just that. There will be a LOT of players online in a single game/mission all playing at once.

That's about it.

#10 Odin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 498 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:52 PM

MWO gameplay?

A simulation like no other :)
I'd like to fight in a machine , not a funky set of rules!
The mech simulator must be of paramount importance .

But I'm happy, if Piranha gets some descend RPG aspects into this.
However, you level only in what you do - when you do it.
A 100hour person is better then a 10 hour person - but the players actions,
only are measure over success or failure. Not any skill stats!
Please no skill tree!
The player decides through his/her playing, whats gonna go up.
Skills you don't actually use, can't be leveled up!

#11 Gaius Cavadus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 404 posts
  • LocationNova Roma, Alphard

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:03 PM

View PostTheRulesLawyer, on 10 November 2011 - 03:50 PM, said:

I suppose the WoT is the closest given what most people seem to mean when they say sim.

When people advocate sim I'm sure the farthest thing from their minds is WoT; WoT is an arcade game with a pinch of realistic ballistics.

#12 Anastasius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 472 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:09 PM

Think MPBT:3025 Beta style. Persistant planetary campaign. Hopefully we get something along those lines.

#13 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:11 PM

Is my viewpoint of MechWarrior 3 being the greatest of all the MechWarrior sims out of bounds, here? (NOTE: Keep in mind I didn't get to play MPBT: 3025... thanks for the reminder Anastasius.) Of course, I would love it if things were tightened up, add some manner of salvage economy and make it harder, more expensive, and time-consuming to upgrade/change your 'Mech. I love the idea of being able to modify both the exterior and interior of my 'Mech, within the bounds allowed by the game system, of course, and I would love it if there were a cooperative combined PvE/PvP campaign system involved. If my friends and I are taking on various missions, I don't want to know if I'm fighting the AI or the live pilot, I just want to get the mission done; of course, I understand live pilots will have far different behaviors than AI, but recognizing that behavior should be my ONLY means of telling the difference.

Edited by Kay Wolf, 10 November 2011 - 05:11 PM.

#14 MagnusEffect

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 404 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 06:40 PM

View PostKay Wolf, on 10 November 2011 - 05:11 PM, said:

Is my viewpoint of MechWarrior 3 being the greatest of all the MechWarrior sims out of bounds, here? (NOTE: Keep in mind I didn't get to play MPBT: 3025... thanks for the reminder Anastasius.) Of course, I would love it if things were tightened up, add some manner of salvage economy and make it harder, more expensive, and time-consuming to upgrade/change your 'Mech. I love the idea of being able to modify both the exterior and interior of my 'Mech, within the bounds allowed by the game system, of course, and I would love it if there were a cooperative combined PvE/PvP campaign system involved. If my friends and I are taking on various missions, I don't want to know if I'm fighting the AI or the live pilot, I just want to get the mission done; of course, I understand live pilots will have far different behaviors than AI, but recognizing that behavior should be my ONLY means of telling the difference.

Not out of bounds at all I think. All very good points. I agree.

One part in particular...wow... that part on not labeling player adversaries:
One of the biggest annoyances of league play is the ease at which a whole team can easily concentrate fire on an single player by simply calling out their gamertag. What if you couldn't identify players by name of the opposite team (maybe some version of that like needing to be close enough by a certain distance)? What if, rather than say "hey, everyone shoot FryingpanMan", they would have to say something like "fire at the biggest mech you see"! In an actual war, soldiers don't know who they are shooting at. Many times they can't even specify what target to shoot at. I would recommend introducing better TAG, jamming, command console features, and spotting gameplay mechanics to compensate for this. It would definitely go a long way to adding to the frantic pace of battle and tactics.

Edited by MagnusEffect, 10 November 2011 - 06:42 PM.

#15 Corralis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 577 posts
  • LocationChesterfield, England

Posted 10 November 2011 - 06:43 PM

View PostMagnusEffect, on 10 November 2011 - 03:28 PM, said:

You guys know the drill. Speak and be heard or get out of the way! :)

Let me know if you have a good answer that should be added.

I put like all previous MW titles, shame it was so low on the poll. Keep it like the original games and you'll have a winner.

#16 Dsi1

• PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:08 PM

Simulation option.

Missing because the dice decided that you missed is fine and all when you aren't directly controlling a gun(like in tabletop).

When you are directly controlling a gun(like in MWO), you miss because you failed to control the gun properly and/or account for all of the physics involved, be it as simple as making sure your gun clears the building you're behind, or as complex as accounting for wind, bullet drop and the shifting of your mech.

#17 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:29 PM

View PostMagnusEffect, on 10 November 2011 - 06:40 PM, said:

One part in particular...wow... that part on not labeling player adversaries:

One of the biggest annoyances of league play is the ease at which a whole team can easily concentrate fire on an single player by simply calling out their gamertag. What if you couldn't identify players by name of the opposite team (maybe some version of that like needing to be close enough by a certain distance)? What if, rather than say "hey, everyone shoot FryingpanMan", they would have to say something like "fire at the biggest mech you see"! In an actual war, soldiers don't know who they are shooting at.
It's called priming, ME, and I agree with you 100%, except there are a few ways to prime. Calling out the pilot's name, as you said, calling out the largest target, or even having everyone prime on the same 'Mech your Lance Leader begins firing on. It's unfortunate, but concentrated fire has, indeed, become a part of the culture and, were it up to me, I would add that to my dishonorable battlefield conduct.

View PostDsi1, on 10 November 2011 - 07:08 PM, said:

When you are directly controlling a gun(like in MWO), you miss because you failed to control the gun properly and/or account for all of the physics involved, be it as simple as making sure your gun clears the building you're behind, or as complex as accounting for wind, bullet drop and the shifting of your mech.
The trouble is, DSI1, that in the fluff you're dealing with computers that are between 200 and 500 years old because BattleMechs haven't been able to be effectively built or repaired since the technology to do so and the knowledge, as well, have been lost over that many centuries of open warfare. The first, second, and the first-half of the third, Succession Wars were all slaughterfests, and that meant production factories, tool and die support, and most of the industry surrounding being able to build ANYTHING was reduced to ashes. I believe I read about it in the rulebook for the BattleTech box-set from '84 -though I'm not entirely sure about it- that production capabilities had been reduced to late 21st Century technology, and the only thing that was keeping battlements of all types, and starships, going was spit, bubblegum, bailin' wire, and luck.

Of course, since MechWarrior II started off prior to the Clans invading the Inner Sphere, and subsequent games only dealt with a continuation of that time-line, none of the kids who picked it up from that point got to understand Weisman's and Babcock's vision of World War II fighter pilots -you can find this in Shrapnel, actually- in monstrous walking knight gun platforms, so that never mattered to anyone else.

#18 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:56 PM

I'm really hoping for a sim experience rather than the others.

#19 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 08:06 PM

I'm just hoping for more so my interest will be more. Shoot-em-ups bore me, I'm an explorer, and so if it's just a shoot-em-up, I'll come play with my buds, but we most likely wouldn't stay too long.

#20 Kudzu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the SEC

Posted 10 November 2011 - 08:11 PM

If you're going to make a poll, do you best to make the options as unbiased as you can-- otherwise don't bother making one at all.

But in answer to your question-- I want a simulator. I want it to simulate being a mechwarrior in the Battletech universe. I want it to stick as close the the TT and fluff as possible: this includes things like weapons not being perfectly accurate and hits scattering all over the target (which cone of fire will represent well), one on one fights that are slugfests (which will make teamwork the best way to bring a mech down fast), critical hits, meaningful heat scales, knockdowns/skids, melee attacks (unlikely, but I want them.), and everything else that separates real Battletech from other mecha titles.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users