#1 Hex Pallett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:11 PM

So...the Protector is not exactly as handy as I expected. At first I built it a pure brawler, with stock STD300, AC20, twin-MLas and ASRM6x2, but after a single 700+ damage win and a chain of being forcefully inserted in the rear in all sorts of open maps...yeah. It's too slow.

So now I run XL325, 1xAC10, 2xLL and ASRM6x2. Reasonably fast, enough firepower for all kinds of situations and feels good to run. May take off Artemis for AMS, but I figured I shouldn't remove such an expensive upgrade until I unlock Speed Tweak and test my old brawler loadout again (my inner-Hunchback demands it).

But still, there's no harm asking. It's the whole purpose of this subforum. So pour it out, ladies :(

#2 Autobot9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:13 AM

This works best for me
http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__2726152

#3 Autobot9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:12 AM

I think I finally found a good build for this baby. Since I have never seen anyone with a similar build I thought I share it for you :(

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...066904ff32316e9

U/AC5 (90)
AC5 (90)
2x SRM6/Artemis (200)
3x ML
11 DHS
325XL
Endosteel

You basically constantly gamble on your U/AC5 while the AC5 makes sure you can still fit a XL and never stop fireing entirely due to jam. Projectile velocity, cooldown are the same for U/AC5 and AC5, while their range is almost identical.

Edited by Autobot9000, 04 October 2013 - 09:13 AM.

#4 Phlinger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 595 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:50 AM

Here is one of my Protector builds, I play it like a Warhammer from TT, slower moving, but when it sets it's sights on you, either run, core me, or die. I usuallu don't like to mix and match different AC's because fitting two different types of AC ammo drives me nuts.

PROTECTOR-DualUAC5's

or this one with an AC/20

PROTECTOR-AC/20

and this is my usual XL build.

PROTECTOR-XL

#5 Walks_In_Circles

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 102 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 11 October 2013 - 05:35 PM

This is my favorite. I average 500 dmg per match but she doesn't have the best range. With a great DPS. Just torso twist to save your CT and enjoy.

PROTECTOR

LB 10-X
SRM 6 + Artemis
LG PL
ML x 2

PROTECTOR AC/20 Build
-An AC/20 build I'm working on.

I'm not running an XL frankly because I don't have the c-bills for it.

2 ER PPCs and an AC10 is essentially a ghetto Marauder and since we can almost guarantee that we will never see that mech in-game... beggar's can't be choosers.

Edited by Hrothmar, 15 October 2013 - 05:10 PM.

#6 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 12 October 2013 - 07:43 AM

Just picked one up last night.

XL330
2 LLs
AC/10
PPC (nice, high torso mount!)
16 DHS

So far, so good. Keep the fight around 200-400m and you can really dish out the hurt. Avoid close range at all costs. The heat efficiency is good enough to allow you to fire at least one of your 3 weapon groups at all times, even on Tourmaline. Should be even better after eliting.

Hey Helmstif, I see you on all the time. We should team up next time we're on together.

#7 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:18 AM

I'm experimenting with this build because I really wanted an AC/20:

STD325
2 LLs
AC/20
11 DHS, Endo, FF

Although it has a higher heat efficiency than my original build, it seems to run hotter. I find I have to chain fire the LLs, even on cold maps. Definitely requires trigger discipline.

It hits pretty hard, but I do miss that torso PPC.

#8 Walks_In_Circles

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 102 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:06 PM

View PostNRP, on 15 October 2013 - 06:18 AM, said:

I'm experimenting with this build because I really wanted an AC/20:

STD325
2 LLs
AC/20
11 DHS, Endo, FF

Although it has a higher heat efficiency than my original build, it seems to run hotter. I find I have to chain fire the LLs, even on cold maps. Definitely requires trigger discipline.

It hits pretty hard, but I do miss that torso PPC.

I'm using the same build, but with a SRM6 thrown it. That AC/20 is heart of the build and once your out ammo, you are next to useless. But till then, so long as you don't find yourself in front, you can deal a lot of damage. But all Orions are like that.

#9 DonBennos

• PipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 41 posts
  • LocationGermany Bayern

Posted 26 October 2013 - 06:41 PM

Unstopable Force:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...699b882cc2c8a56

Get close, rapidfire everything without heat problems... kill it... move on!

Those srm2 just fit perfect the cd of the LBX... melt down the armor and then crit everything away while still moving very fast without having an XL... I don´t know why people always put in heavy lasers or srms... if you always have to pause to cool down... make em shake without giving them a break... if you get behind... 2 alphas and you are done with your work...

#10 Walks_In_Circles

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 102 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:39 PM

View PostDonBennos, on 26 October 2013 - 06:41 PM, said:

Unstopable Force:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...699b882cc2c8a56

Get close, rapidfire everything without heat problems... kill it... move on!

Those srm2 just fit perfect the cd of the LBX... melt down the armor and then crit everything away while still moving very fast without having an XL... I don´t know why people always put in heavy lasers or srms... if you always have to pause to cool down... make em shake without giving them a break... if you get behind... 2 alphas and you are done with your work...

The only problem with a build like this is that there is no ranged attack. Alternatively while a dozens fast strikes will devastate an enemy, it also requires prolonged exposure from cover to deal equivalent damage when compared to their larger counterpart. It's preference I suppose.

Edited by Hrothmar, 28 October 2013 - 10:40 PM.

#11 Wanzer MkII

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 09:22 AM

Just got my protector. Been using the following build:

3xML's
2xAC/5's
2xStreaks
BAP
11 DHS

It's not awesome, but I've had great fun running support with the main group. The AC/5's are set to chain fire, and it runs pretty cool so you can open those babies up. Keep pounding until they go down. The ML's are an all round damage dealer, and the streaks help protect against lights.

#12 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 24 December 2013 - 09:33 AM

My current C-bill farm Orion-P
  • 325 xl
  • AC10 (right torso)
  • PPC (left torso)
  • 2x large laser (arms)
Previously I ran it with:
  • 325 xl
  • LBX10
  • LRM15 + Artemis
  • 2x Large Lasers
The ALRMs were ok, especially if one hangs back a bit until the LRMs are expended, but with so much direct fire on the battlefield I needed to fight fire with fire and switched to AC10+PPC for the core weapon system. Similar heat:damage:tonnage to the infamous 2 AC5+PPC you see on Victors/Highlanders, but a little less damage for 4 fewer tons- plus I have the pair of LLs

#13 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 December 2013 - 09:58 AM

Wow, the "thong" really seems to have helped the Orions. I was brawling a Protector last night and that dude just wouldn't go down. He was being focused too. Very impressive.

#14 Walks_In_Circles

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 102 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:42 PM

I've been playing around a bit with my protector and I think I found the magic build. I did some reading and rebuilt my protector based on the following excerpt:

Armament:
The only weapon that is preserved from the original Orion is the SRM-4, though that is upgraded to a lighter-weight Offset Pattern K4 model. The autocannon and long-range missile launcher were upgraded to an Omega 12-Coil Gauss Rifle and a Type XX "Great Bow" LRM-20, respectively. The arm-mounted lasers were replaced with a pair of ER Large Lasers, one a Series 6W and the other a Series 7W. These upgrades have transformed the Orion from a close-range brawler to a fire support 'Mech.

Now while the protector has all the necessary hardpoints to use this build, it does not have enough tonnage to remain a viable build both concerning heat and armor. Making a few modifications, and keeping true to the fire support role that the orion fills so well, I made the following:

PROTECTOR

It's simple, but works beautifully. You are effective at all ranges, rarely have to be concerned about heat, and while you may have trouble going head-to-head against an atlas, brawling is still a viable option. This build really shines at the 200m mark as you can augment your gauss and LL fire with a salvo of your LRMs for that finishing blow. Now I built this for use as fire support, which is my preferred play-style, a role in which this mech is perfect for.

Edited by Hrothmar, 24 December 2013 - 03:16 PM.

#15 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:51 PM

View PostHrothmar, on 24 December 2013 - 12:42 PM, said:

I've been playing around a bit with my protector and I think I found the magic build. I did some reading and rebuilt my protector based on the following excerpt:

Now while the protector has all the necessary hardpoints to use this build, it does not have enough tonnage to remain a viable build both concerning heat and armor. Making a few modifications, and keeping true to the fire support role that the orion fills so well, I made the following:

PROTECTOR

It's simple, but works beautifully. You are effective at all ranges, rarely have to be concerned about heat, and while you may have trouble going head-to-head against an atlas, brawling is still a viable option. This build really shines at the 200m mark as you can augment your gauss and LL fire with a salvo of your LRMs for that finishing blow. Now I built this for use as fire support, which is my preferred play-style, a role in which this mech is perfect for.

A lot like my lbx10/ artemis lrm15/ 2 ll build. I peronally found the 300 engine to be just a bit too sluggish for the Orion, neccesitating a similar but lighter loadout.

#16 Walks_In_Circles

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 102 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:56 PM

I find that 70kph is plenty of enough speed for an orion. Since the orion is such a large target, I feel an extra 10kph or so doesn't help if I find myself in a situation that warrants speed (like being out in the open). With speed tweak, the 300 has all the speed I need in a fire support role. Additionally, as a heavy, anything more comes at a high tonnage cost. However, it greatly depends on the build and player role.

Edited by Hrothmar, 24 December 2013 - 01:59 PM.

#17 Wanzer MkII

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 10:03 PM

After messing around a bit, I changed up my build substantially. This seems to work much, much better.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...32ef2c806827698

I tested it out and it seems to suit me perfectly. At first I left out the AMS, but after one match where I got 4 kills before dying to missile spam I decided to add it in. It really helps your durability.

#18 Panzerjotun

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 264 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:49 PM

I run an LRM20 and 2 LL on mine. Being able to vomit all 20 love tubes at once makes it a great fire support mech.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users