Old Vs New Heat Vision

43 replies to this topic

Poll: Bring back old heat vision? (100 member(s) have cast votes)

Was the old heat vision better?

1. Yes (59 votes [57.84%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 57.84%

2. No (43 votes [42.16%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 42.16%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:29 PM

No you didn't. You keep saying things like "it's entirely a downgrade," that it "doesn't feel useful," and is "just awful." That's not "fine," by any stretch. Especially when you claim to have "conceded that the new vision is fine," and three breaths later say that it "would be perfectly fine, if..." It's possible you were trying to say something else, but the words you used contractict themselves.

As far as the in-game heat vision, I agree that the images could be a bit sharper... on the 'mech models themselves. There is an glow effect being used to differentiate 'mech heat levels that causes some blurriness. However, looking at the testing grounds and the linked video (as well as my recollections from using military IR) I can see that the in-game thermal vision actually gives more clarity than military systems. Much more, in fact; particularly regarding terrain and structures. As well, I don't have much trouble distinguishing 'mechs in thermal view at medium to close ranges, and hot 'mechs are visible for a long way - which is precisely the intent of the development team.

Depending on your computer, you might try increasing the color vibrancy setting on your monitor in order to make contrasts more apparent.

#22 GreyFox23

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:01 PM

I didn't "keep" saying those things, maybe you didn't read all the posts but I AM fine withe the new vision. The main reason I started this thread was because of using heat vision in the winter city levels. In those levels the terrain should be pitch black almost, but its almost as white as the mechs. I HAVE been using thermal vision in the city and forest maps and it actujally does look great. I don't know what the deal is with the winter city maps but they should really lookm into fixing it.

Me changing my mind isn't a contradiction. I didn't come to the forums to say one thing and refuse to change my mind like an *****. I came here to be constructive, I WAS wrong about the old heat vision being better, I was worried because at the time I had only used the new one on the winter city levels where it "should" be more useful.

Edited by GreyFox23, 12 September 2013 - 06:02 PM.

#23 blinkin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,195 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:17 PM

View PostGreyFox23, on 12 September 2013 - 06:01 PM, said:

Me changing my mind isn't a contradiction. I didn't come to the forums to say one thing and refuse to change my mind like an *****. I came here to be constructive, I WAS wrong about the old heat vision being better, I was worried because at the time I had only used the new one on the winter city levels where it "should" be more useful.

change your mind? what form of blasphemy is this?! you should stick to your opinions to the very bitter end no matter how absurd they are proven to be! that is how it has always been done.

#24 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:44 PM

I'm glad you've changed your mind, but I did read all the posts - which is why I pointed out that you never actually reversed your opinion.

#25 GreyFox23

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:57 AM

...So anyway, now that I've played the other maps with the new thermal vision. It really is better than the old. That being said, they need to get the winter city levels fixed because that's where thermal vision should be most effective. Instead those are the maps it is least helpful on.

#26 Duncan Longwood

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 253 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:16 AM

I wish they would implement a hybrid system like F1 racing has...

#27 Foxfire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:20 AM

I find that the new one has too many issues with screwy depth perception issues.

Also, I get to work with military sensors on the thermal range and the fidelity and crispness of what we use today is much better.

I can understand why they limited the range but I don't understand why they completely redid the sensor.

#28 Pirate2Ninja

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:46 AM

New heat vision is much better. the old one was what was built into CryEngine and was not what the devs originally envisioned for that mode. Besides not having a range limit it's problem was that it was too clear and not effected by terrain conditions, and like other posters mentioned you end up running in it 24/7. With the tactics of this game, theoretically no one mode or weapon should have an obvious advantage. The end result should be A- People can play the style they want without disadvantage as well as be willing try new things and B- Using equipment and weapons according to situation not because it's OP. Could the new heat vision be polished a bit? Yes and they probably will at some point down the road. Is it supposed to be “miracle” vision? No.

Edited by Pirate2Ninja, 13 September 2013 - 07:48 AM.

#29 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:53 AM

I think its like graphics, collision and kd, to be readded at some time. Hopefully in 4 more days!!!!!!! :lol:

#30 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:17 PM

No, I'm pretty sure this is the final version of thermal vision - which is fine, since its functional and authentic-feeling.

#31 Xtrekker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 865 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:47 PM

View PostSexport, on 12 September 2013 - 06:17 AM, said:

My suggestion is to make the old night/thermal view a module.

Agreed, but tone it down. I too ran it all the time because it was too much of a disadvantage without it. See blue across the map, shoot. I think there is a place for that sort of thing, but it needs to be reimagined.

#32 Zarlaren

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • LocationRoseburg

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:03 PM

Bring it back as a module I like the predator vision it would really help things out if you could bring it back but as a upgrade to the thermal.

#33 Draykin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 154 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:45 PM

The old heat vision was, in fact, better. It was so good. So good that you never turned it off. That's bad.

#34 Augustus Martelus II

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 476 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMontréal, QC Canada

Posted 07 September 2014 - 11:06 PM

in 3050 and we use old thermal vision.....would be nice if we could change it with different type of thermal....some more for hot environment some for colder (like adjusting the sensibility of it)

If we can do it today why not in this time? lol

#35 TygerLily

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 11:03 AM

How about we give the old NV to IS! Take that Clanners!

PS, I really forgot how old MWO felt, haha:

#36 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 24 October 2014 - 02:07 AM

Solution: Advanced Optics module.

Gives the old-school RGB "Predator" thermal read-out, but at a slightly greater range.

#37 Kalimaster

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 24 October 2014 - 07:28 AM

Okay Fellas. Here is my suggestion. We make the old Heat Vision a module subcomponet that can be slipped into the sensor package of our Mechs. Then you could toggle between the two so we could have both. The new item would have no weight, and would take up one sub slot of the sensor.

Build a map around it. Take River City, add fog, and have it a capture item on the ship. You want it. You have to get it.

#38 Tim East

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 11:38 PM

Frankly, I'd settle for thermal vision that didn't see snow as super-fricking-hot. Frozen City went from one of my favorite maps to one of my least favorite maps just from screwed up heat sensors.

#39 Seigaku

• PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationArgentina

Posted 25 October 2014 - 04:03 PM

View PostIron War, on 11 September 2013 - 12:43 PM, said:

yes the old version had way more advantages . . . i think i ran in it on all maps . . . even caustic . . . u see blue shot. That is why the new version is better and more balanced and besides the US military uses Flir . . . r u saying they should use something else? it must have its advantages.

Man, the in-game thermal vision doesn't look as good as the real one the army uses, if you can make the in-game thermal vision look like it looks in that video, then i wouldn't mind it.

But if you compare the old one with the current one, the old one was better.

#40 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 25 October 2014 - 04:10 PM

Night vision is bad I never use it, I use heatvision over it most of the time, like in 99% of the time. The onyl thing that sucks with both visions is range. River city night with some ERLL ecm light is kinda OP because you are completely hidden when you stay on edge of the map.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users