New To Victor 9S - Questions

9 replies to this topic

#1 Chill Bill

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 188 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 04:41 AM

Like assaults. Have been using Atlas D-DC ( Lasers, AC20 and SRM) and Stalker ( Lasers & SRM). Both brawlers.

Wanted to try different assault. Have Victor 9S ( 2 ML, AC20, SRM6 X 2, 1 SRM4, AMS, 3 JJ)
Using std engine (reluctant to go with XL due to SR weapons).

As the Victor has less armor, what is the best way to play it? Should I use XL anyway? Different loadout?

Edited by Chillbill, 10 October 2013 - 04:42 AM.

#2 oldradagast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:38 AM

The AC20 in the right arm + medium lasers + SRM's build works great for the S and B Victor.

Personally, I would keep a standard engine. I use a standard 300. It means I'm technically a bit slow for a Victor, but I'm almost as fast as a heavy mech and noticeably faster than most assaults, which means I still have an edge thanks to good firepower and jump jets. Your mileage may vary, of course.

#3 Chill Bill

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 188 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:00 AM

Thanks.

Have a few matches under my belt. Have similar loadout and speed (with std. engine) as heavier mechs... with advantage of JJ...... BUT are JJ worth the tradeoff in armor?

Or am I playing it wrong? It seems like the XL engine might be needed to increase speed in order to compensate for thinner skin...........

Edited by Chillbill, 10 October 2013 - 06:49 AM.

#4 Raso

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:16 AM

The side torso isn't super vulnerable but with good torso twisting you might end up losing your side torsos before your CT on several occasions. XL engines ARE doable and the ease at which to can pile on the fire power absolutely makes up for the drop vulnerability if you play your Victor right.

I primarily play my Victor K as a mid range support with an AC10 either along side dual SRM2s (epic rate of fire) with 2 large lasers or 3 medium lasers and dual SRM4s. I always keep at least a single JJ for maneuvering. I do this all with an STD325 engine (for lack of funding) and it works well for me when I stick to my mid range role.

I'm still trying to find my own with my Victor S. I absolutely want to put an XL in my S so I can utilize all of my available weapon slots. I've tried 3 LRM5s, 3 SSRMs, dual UACss, dual AC5s, a UAC5 along side an AC2, dual AC2s and even the AC20. My problem is is will not use the same build on my S as I have on my K. This means I do need an XL engine, though.

With an XL I might go with something along these lines.

AC10, LRMs, MLas
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8e06d36065dcf62

Dual AC5, SSRMs, LLas,
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...23edbff327e919f

Dual AC5, Dual PPC
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c83a02b50f687b9

#5 Itsalrightwithme

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 391 posts
  • LocationCambridge, MA, USA

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:21 AM

The Dual-PPC Dual-AC5 build is really fun, or alternatively Dual-PPC Dual-uAC5. AC5/uAC5 slugs travel at similar speed to PPC bolts, so you are all set in terms of alpha-jump-sniping. You really only need 1-2 JJs, I usually run only one. XL engine in a Victor makes it highly maneuverable, with that kind of loadout I would go for an XL engine.

If I were bring an AC20 I'd want a tank instead, meaning Standard engine. But the Victor S has 2E on LA, 2B on RA, so I keep my AC20 for the Victor B instead.

#6 BookWyrm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Menig Første Klasse
  • Menig Første Klasse
  • 365 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:39 AM

I'm using AC20 + 2 MLas + 3 SRM w/Artemis and XL 360 engine on my S, I'm honestly terrible with assaults and still have fairly good luck with this configuration most matches.

#7 FireSlade

• 1,174 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:57 AM

View PostChillbill, on 10 October 2013 - 04:41 AM, said:

Like assaults. Have been using Atlas D-DC ( Lasers, AC20 and SRM) and Stalker ( Lasers & SRM). Both brawlers.

Wanted to try different assault. Have Victor 9S ( 2 ML, AC20, SRM6 X 2, 1 SRM4, AMS, 3 JJ)
Using std engine (reluctant to go with XL due to SR weapons).

As the Victor has less armor, what is the best way to play it? Should I use XL anyway? Different loadout?

My recommendation is play it hard and play it fast (not kidding I have a 80kph VTR-9K). You would think that the XL make this brawler weak but the AC20 allows you to shoot rotate away to spread damage and bring it back to shoot again. Some build for both the 9S and 9B since they are virtually the same are:

VTR-9B Because I wanted the dual Gatling look.

VTR-9S My standard variant

VTR-9K My heavy assault mech. Feel free to move ammo around; since I jump a lot I tend to get legged and been killed a few times due to ammo explosions.

You will want to keep moving with these mechs. If you just stand in place and try to brawl it out with an Atlas you will die. So stay mobile, torso twist to spread the damage (I also jump to throw off aim and get them to hit my legs) and you will have lots of fun with these mechs. Good luck and good hunting.

#8 Razanarg

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 2 posts
  • LocationNSW

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:06 AM

I have been using this and it seems to go hard.

VTR-9S

What do you guys think of this build of myn? I thought Gauss and LRM's for long range action could replace the AC/20 and SRM's

#9 juxstapo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:31 AM

View PostFireSlade, on 10 October 2013 - 11:57 AM, said:

My recommendation is play it hard and play it fast (not kidding I have a 80kph VTR-9K).

XL385 for two of mine, XL360 for the other two.
It isn't a damage soak, play it more as a hit and fade or heavily gunned ambush machine, the speed and the jets are the lifeblood of the chassis imo.

Edit: Up and over, the mantra for Victor pilots taking on other assaults, get a running start and jump em. :huh:

Edited by juxstapo, 18 December 2013 - 08:32 AM.

#10 FireSlade

• 1,174 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:48 AM

View PostRazanarg, on 18 December 2013 - 05:06 AM, said:

I have been using this and it seems to go hard.

VTR-9S

What do you guys think of this build of myn? I thought Gauss and LRM's for long range action could replace the AC/20 and SRM's

It is possible but it is hard to justify using anything but an AC20 or any thing that does not take up 10 slots due to the limited mobility from that missing actuator. Not sure how LRMs will work on it though. I tried it once and between the dodging and cover it was hard for a LRM 10 to clear 1 ton of ammo without stopping and making you a target; at times it can be hard with SSRMs. Yes a Victor can do it all but some tasks are better left to other mechs.

Edit: As for the build I would look at the missile tubes, you have 10,5,2 so that means that the second SRM6 will need to do 2 volleys and the third will need to do 3 volleys, making it very hard to hit your target and wasting ammo. If you do mind mix launchers this is what I would do and it will deal more damage than if you used 3 SRM6s. http://mwo.smurfy-ne...06b45276c4d9d1a This will let you dump all 12 missiles and twist away to spread the damage out and it also gives you a little more staying power with more ammo (AC20 and SRM) and armor.

Edited by FireSlade, 18 December 2013 - 11:58 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users