- - - - -

Rule #1

32 replies to this topic

#1 Kaijin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:20 AM

Use 'R' to get target information. If you repeatedly hit 'R', you can cycle through all enemies within line-of-sight of your team (and in sensor range). Why is it Rule #1 to get mechs targeted? Because then you can see where they're damaged - sometimes you don't need to drill through the strongest part of an enemy's armor - Just hit that weak point and BLAMO! Also, you see their weapon loadout, and as long as you've got a mech targeted with 'R', your teammates can see all that too..

I just finished a match where I asked my teammates to use 'R'. The answer was, "None of us have missiles." While it's true that you can use 'R' to target for indirect fired LRMs, and you get paid extra c-bills if you have a mech targeted with 'R' when friendly LRMs hit that mech because of your effort, I hope this little message shows there's other good reasons to use 'R' as well.

Oh, and I did have LRMs. ;)

#2 Kiritumi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 120 posts
  • LocationIyanden

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:56 AM

Be a pirate! Use Arrrr ;3

#3 SuomiWarder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 1,661 posts
  • LocationSacramento area, California

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:55 PM

You get a little bonus cash if you target a mech that other people already targeted and it takes LRM fire. If you see the missile lock icon of three slashes on an enemy and you don't have an important target to use R on then select the one taking missile fire for more C-bills and better hits on the target.

#4 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:09 PM

I thought "Rule # 1" was cardio

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 04:37 PM

View PostDEMAX51, on 10 October 2013 - 01:09 PM, said:

I thought "Rule # 1" was cardio

Number 2 was double tap.

There was another rule about bathrooms. But there aren't enough Centurions to have to worry about that Zombieland rule.

Don't forget rule 25. Too many mechwarriors forget about "Shoot first."

Edited by Koniving, 10 October 2013 - 08:05 PM.

#6 Saiyajin12

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 115 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:00 PM

Always use R if you can, if not for the LRM boats that may or may not exist on your team, do it because it lets you identify weak spots on the enemy mechs quicker. This allows you to decide which parts to aim for to bring down a mech as quickly as possible or strip some weapons off of it etc. It'll help you win engagements you would not have won had you just fired randomly or just aimed for the CT.

Hell ok, for most mechs you wanna aim for the CT either way, but by pressing R and checking out the field a bit it'll allow you to pick off weakened targets over fully armored ones, as well as checking out their loadouts in order to make threat assessments etc. There literally is no downside in you pressing R when you can.

#7 Rascula

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 387 posts
  • LocationWord of Blake Protectorate, Epsilon Eridani.

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:35 AM

Information is king in this game and R is the only way to show you info quickly on your opponents.
  • What type of mech they're in,
  • how badly damaged they are,
  • where they are for the rest of your team (If your targeting an enemy then they appear on your colleagues scanners/maps)
All of this info just by pressing R.. and if that wasn't enough of an incentive there is the cash bonus spotting assist payment too, as said above its all positives in hitting that button

#8 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:42 AM

I've been in heaps of PUG matches lately where people aren't targeting the enemy they're shooting at.

It significantly negatively impacts the whole team's situational awareness.

#9 IntX

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 18 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Inner Sphere

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:04 AM

If you press 'r' on a mech that isn't targeted by anyone else and your teammates damage it with direct or indirect fire, you get the spotters bonus. It isn't just lrms.

Edited by IntX, 11 October 2013 - 03:05 AM.

#10 TheArcher

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 149 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 07:52 PM

And one more benefit of Targeting: your teammates which mech you are targeting. When you press R, the empty triangle gets filled. If you have buddies with you, they can fire at the same target, bringing it down quickly. Similarly, if you don't have a target selected, but there's an enemy you can hit with a full triangle over it, you should probably target & fire at it first.

Edited by TheArcher, 12 October 2013 - 07:56 PM.

#11 PocketAces

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 175 posts
  • LocationEverywhere yet nowhere

Posted 13 October 2013 - 12:33 AM

Agreed, use "R" is a huge benefit to the team and you, more XP and c-bills if they are targeted and shot by other mechs, and it doesn't have to be hit my missiles. Also it lets your team mates know where the enemy are and if they see your target they may come to help you out, I do this regularly if I see a one on one fight.

#12 TheArcher

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 149 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:31 AM

View PostPocketAces, on 13 October 2013 - 12:33 AM, said:

if they see your target they may come to help you out, I do this regularly if I see a one on one fight.

Unfortunately, half the time I see a one on one fight on sensors, it turns out to be one on many, since the targeting system only reports one enemy even if you have multiple enemies in sensor range. The enemy has a big advantage in the 1vMany case, since they are forced to focus fire on one mech at a time. If I do approach this situation alone, I slow down before rounding the last corner. If I see the 1 v Many case, I'll retreat and report the location to the rest of the team: "3+ in C3", etc. I can then either run away, or wait for more support depending on the match situation.

Edited by TheArcher, 13 October 2013 - 05:36 AM.

#13 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:52 AM

View PostKoniving, on 10 October 2013 - 04:37 PM, said:

Number 2 was double tap.

There was another rule about bathrooms. But there aren't enough Centurions to have to worry about that Zombieland rule.

Don't forget rule 25. Too many mechwarriors forget about "Shoot first."

Rule #24: Enjoy the little things.

#14 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:57 AM

View PostKjudoon, on 14 October 2013 - 11:52 AM, said:

Indeed.

"Wait a minute! Power off power on. Power off power on."
"Lol! Teabag!"

#15 Navy Sixes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationHeading west

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:09 PM

Also it's good for everyone (but especially new scouts) to know that when you come up over a ridge and see three or four (or more!) enemies hiding back there that no one else can see (you'll know because their triangles are empty; that means no one else has a lock on them) try to tap that "R" key a few times quick to cycle through them before you hightail it out of there! Even if it's too hot to hold a lock for LRM support, or even long enough to get each one's "make and model," seeing that series of red triangles flicker on the battlemap, even for a second or two, lets your teammates know where a lot of baddies are hiding.

#16 MaverickGTO

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 35 posts
  • LocationTX

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:40 PM

According to Si there are 4
#1 Rule # 1: Never go in the woods without a pistol. You never know when you might want to shoot something.
#2 Rule # 1: Always have your buddy’s back, hey, that’s rule number one.
#3 Rule # 1: Lay down and digest.
#4 Rule # 1: Never drop your weenie.

#17 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:54 PM

View PostTycho von Gagern, on 14 October 2013 - 12:09 PM, said:

Also it's good for everyone (but especially new scouts) to know that when you come up over a ridge and see three or four (or more!) enemies hiding back there that no one else can see (you'll know because their triangles are empty; that means no one else has a lock on them) try to tap that "R" key a few times quick to cycle through them before you hightail it out of there! Even if it's too hot to hold a lock for LRM support, or even long enough to get each one's "make and model," seeing that series of red triangles flicker on the battlemap, even for a second or two, lets your teammates know where a lot of baddies are hiding.

Dubbed the Distress Signal in the short question short answer (or the for the new guys) thread.

#18 Losobal

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:58 AM

Rule #1: You do not talk about fight club?

#19 Kaijin

• 2,137 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:35 PM

Pertinent to Rule #1,

I was in a Conquest drop on Therma in my Streaktaro. My team had capped Theta, but no enemy had been sighted. I opened the map, and suddenly my 3 teammates at Epsilon appeared to be fighting 1 enemy mech, but still no contact anywhere else. It seemed like it was taking them a really long time to kill that one mech, so I asked, "How many at Epsilon?" The reply came back "5 light mechs." Now if any one of those who were fighting there had cycled 'R', the rest of the team would have known there were 5 enemy mechs at Epsilon instead of just the 1 we were seeing, and perhaps some of us could have gotten there in time to save not just 1, but all of our teammates from that swarm.

I cannot stress this enough. It is really important for your team to know where the enemy is gathered in force. Knowing is half the battle.

Edited by Kaijin, 29 October 2013 - 01:16 PM.

#20 Jaegerwulf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 102 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:35 PM

I thought rule number 1 was "NOOOOOOOOOO PUFTERS!!!" hehe

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users