29 replies to this topic

#1 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:02 AM

So I've gotten into a lot of arguments in the past in these forums on the subject of whether or not the River City dropship and the Frozen City one are the same or not, and I'm here to settle it once and for all.

As you can see, they are NOT the same, the River City Dropship is a Gazelle, I have no clue what the Frozen City one is but it's certainly not the same at all:

From left to right: The unused Leopard model, the River City Gazelle, and the Frozen City/Tourmaline crashed dropship
Posted Image

You can't deny the Gazelle's god given right to carry and transport vehicles! NO MECHS ALLOWED.
Posted Image

Also for fun, here's the Overlord Dropship that's on Tourmaline:

See that little dot with the red circle around it? That's the in-game pilot standing next to an Atlas!
Posted Image

Edited by haruko, 20 October 2013 - 10:25 AM.

#2 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:12 AM

If you want to see some cool stuff with the in-game mech files like these, see my other thread:
http://mwomercs.com/...line-asset-art/

Edit: {Scrap} I forgot the other pic

Edited by haruko, 20 October 2013 - 10:25 AM.

#3 PoLaR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 620 posts
  • LocationEast Bay

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:52 AM

Wow, I knew the OL dropship was big but daammmmnnnn. Very impressive, and good for you go out of your way and finally prove your point!

It would be cool to have partially destroyed Drop Ship in a future map that you could enter and walk around in... I know you can on the Tourmaline and Frozen City ships, but something with the magnitude of the OL is just bad ***.

#4 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:54 AM

Actually, the thing on Tourmaline is a Mammoth dropship, as per the lore PGI has written for the map.

In reality, it is heavily up-scaled Overlord, since no matter how you put it, this thing is too big even for Mammoth (which, truth to say, has density of 214 tons per cubic meter... yeah, the official proportions of that thing are bonkers and this thing is much more to scale with a 52 000 ton vessel).

#5 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:57 AM

View PostAdridos, on 20 October 2013 - 10:54 AM, said:

Actually, the thing on Tourmaline is a Mammoth dropship, as per the lore PGI has written for the map.

In reality, it is heavily up-scaled Overlord, since no matter how you put it, this thing is too big even for Mammoth (which, truth to say, has density of 214 tons per cubic meter... yeah, the official proportions of that thing are bonkers and this thing is much more to scale with a 52 000 ton vessel).

I was wondering about that...since the Overlord is supposed to be able to land, but that thing is so insanely massive I can't see it landing at all. I kept trying to take a screenshot of it from the perspective of the pilots feet, pointing upwards but it's so insanely huge it makes it pretty impossible to get a decent shot.

On a fun note, there's an MFB in the game files, I was wondering why we aren't capturing it instead of the non-sensical oil rigs, then I saw how big it was:
Posted Image

#6 RapierE01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • LocationEden

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:59 AM

looks interessting. Could be a Target in Attack Defend

#7 Karyudo ds

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,706 posts
  • LocationChaos March

Posted 20 October 2013 - 12:44 PM

View Postharuko, on 20 October 2013 - 10:02 AM, said:

As you can see, they are NOT the same, the River City Dropship is a Gazelle, I have no clue what the Frozen City one is but it's certainly not the same at all:

Posted Image

Well the meshes are clearly related from what I can tell. Different sizes obviously but that makes me wonder if one of them was just scaled to fit the map it was used in. Not familiar with BT having a Mega-Gazelle or not.

#8 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 20 October 2013 - 02:23 PM

View PostKaryudo ds, on 20 October 2013 - 12:44 PM, said:

Well the meshes are clearly related from what I can tell. Different sizes obviously but that makes me wonder if one of them was just scaled to fit the map it was used in. Not familiar with BT having a Mega-Gazelle or not.

That's what I thought too, I think PGI just got lazy and hit ctrl+s on the Gazelle and broke off some parts, added an interior and called it a day.

Which is really lazy of them imho, if so it wouldn't correspond to any dropship in lore and it would just be as you said...a mega sized Gazelle, since the Gazelle is intended to carry small vehicles and tanks. I mean, it even has the nose ramp on the model itself so there's no doubt it's a gazelle.

Posted Image

#9 Blackfang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 766 posts
  • LocationComing to a planet near you!

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:29 AM

Its a shame they haven't used that fantastic leopard dropship in more featues. It was possibly the best looking leopard I've ever seen.

#10 Randalf Yorgen

• 1,026 posts
  • Locationwith in 3m of the exposed Arcons rear ct

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:06 AM

I think the bigger one (frozen city) is supposed to be a Condor http://www.sarna.net...ondor_(DropShip), it fits and you could wedge a few battle mechs onto it if you really tried to. The wings are sturdy, rigid and hollow and the shape is prety close. Just my thoughts.

#11 Peter Thorndyke IV

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:27 AM

#
Just for a scale comparison
#
My bet would be that the Frozen Dropship is a Buccaneer
Posted Image

Edited by Peter Thorndyke IV, 22 October 2013 - 06:29 AM.

#12 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:13 AM

View PostPeter Thorndyke IV, on 22 October 2013 - 06:27 AM, said:

#
Just for a scale comparison
#
My bet would be that the Frozen Dropship is a Buccaneer
Posted Image

Oooh, that explains it I guess, and yeah it looks exactly like a Buccaneer to me so that solves that mystery, in the game files itself it's just refered to as frozen_city_dropship while the River City one is specifically a Gazelle.

Looks like PGI got the scale wrong on the Overlord though, that this is a Behemoth.

#13 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:10 PM

View Postharuko, on 22 October 2013 - 11:13 AM, said:

Looks like PGI got the scale wrong on the Overlord though, that this is a Behemoth.

I'm more inclined to believe that whoever wrote the lore had not been instructed properly. This thing is definitely a Behemoth and it even makes much more sense to see it in this state, as it's incapable of planetary landing. It wouldn't be the first time they've written something completely wrong on this site and haven't bothered to fix it (just go to the Factions section and have a look at the write up of basic info about the House Kurita... cheap laughs if you notice it). B)

Oh, and as far as that Dropship in FC is concerned, if it were a Buccaneer, it would have "doors" on both sides of the ship and have that horizontal wing on it's tail.

Edited by Adridos, 22 October 2013 - 12:28 PM.

#14 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:37 PM

Wait they have fully modeled main battle tanks and haven't implemented a horde mode? Why?

#15 DEN_Ninja

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,097 posts
  • LocationCrossing, Draconis March

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:45 PM

View PostSpheroid, on 22 October 2013 - 06:37 PM, said:

Wait they have fully modeled main battle tanks and haven't implemented a horde mode? Why?

Its one thing to have a working static graphical model of a tank.

Its another thing to animate it, give it a damage model, add physics to it, apply all the netcode workings to it, produce and spawn these in matches, and make it optimized. Oh and give it a working AI with properly balanced aim AI

#16 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:50 PM

View PostTichorius Davion, on 22 October 2013 - 06:45 PM, said:

Its one thing to have a working static graphical model of a tank.

Its another thing to animate it, give it a damage model, add physics to it, apply all the netcode workings to it, produce and spawn these in matches, and make it optimized. Oh and give it a working AI with properly balanced aim AI

Well I am sure hundreds of stock AI programs exist for Cry Engine and the only moving points would be a the turret and gun elevation. I can live with non animated treads for now. It really would be much, much easier than anything similar for a mech. I am thinking something that would supplement or replace testing grounds. The tanks would try to cap your base in ever increasing numbers via routes that follow relatively flat path finding.

Edited by Spheroid, 22 October 2013 - 07:00 PM.

#17 DEN_Ninja

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,097 posts
  • LocationCrossing, Draconis March

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:57 PM

View PostSpheroid, on 22 October 2013 - 06:50 PM, said:

Well I am sure hundreds of stock AI programs exist for Cry Engine and the only moving points would be a the turret and gun elevation. I can live with non animated treads for now. It really would be much, much easier than anything similar for a mech.

It is more or less the issue of having multiple entities running around the map. I have a High-Mid Tier computer and barely pull 40 FPS with 12v12. Adding AI controlled entities and lots of them would cause me so many problems. I would not be alone in this.

Also I doubt grabbing stock AI would even work properly, nor can I believe there is just laying about an AI program for tanks for movement and aim.

Adding units would also take a lot of time and resources that PGi wants to spend on CW, UI 2.0, and DX11.

#18 RandomLurker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:15 PM

The River and Frozen dropships are obviously from the same original mesh. The engine arrangement, bump on the centerline near the 'cockpit' (I assume that's what it is), slots on the hull right above the wings, everything is a perfect match. They just scaled it up and broke it.

#19 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:13 AM

View PostRandomLurker, on 22 October 2013 - 08:15 PM, said:

The River and Frozen dropships are obviously from the same original mesh. The engine arrangement, bump on the centerline near the 'cockpit' (I assume that's what it is), slots on the hull right above the wings, everything is a perfect match. They just scaled it up and broke it.

But... but... River City came after the Frozen City. If it really is just an up scaled and a bit changed, but still the same mesh (which it most likely is), then at least we can give them props for going such lengths to be accurate... then again, these are negated by the up/down scaling that occured later.

#20 Bullseye69

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 454 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:02 AM

View PostRandalf Yorgen, on 21 October 2013 - 10:06 AM, said:

I think the bigger one (frozen city) is supposed to be a Condor http://www.sarna.net...ondor_(DropShip), it fits and you could wedge a few battle mechs onto it if you really tried to. The wings are sturdy, rigid and hollow and the shape is prety close. Just my thoughts.

You have taken a mech into the dropship on frozen city and river city there are mech locked into there mech cradels on both ships a Atlas and a Hunchback I think and light mech also.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users